Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:36   #241
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Thought Id add my 2 cents since I did Bekal this week. Roads are Fab as indicated all the way upto chattanchal. The last 10 km or so into bekal is not great.

In terms of eating the last decent eating join is just before sakleshpur, a joint called ossoor (veg). Very decent family oriented joint with decent toilets as well.

Just as a word of warning on our way back there was a tree down on the way to jalsoor. Fortunately there was a detour but it took almost one and a half hours more to reach as the detour was a forest road. Fair warning for those travelling in the monsoon with families in the car.
bik1906 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:55   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive Yeshwantpur - Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Kushanlnagar - Madikeri tomorrow. Any recent updates on route conditions after the last couple of weeks of rain?

Heard that there was tremendous downpour around Hunsur. Any idea if roads have been impacted? Still not decided on route to take tomorrow morning
Old 24th June 2016, 16:47   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive Yeshwantpur - Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Kushanlnagar - Madikeri tomorrow
C.R Patna - Holenarsipura via SH121 beautiful roads. Arkalgud - Ramnathpura has patchy roads with a few broken patches but nothing to worry about. Ramnathpura - Konnanur good roads with 1 km crater filled stretch in Konnanur town. Konnanur - Kushalnagar is beautiful winding roads maintained by KRDCL. On the whole this is much better than Bangalore - Mysore - Kushalnagar.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-1466767057985.jpg  

Old 25th August 2016, 14:43   #244
BHPian

Folks - I will be visiting Coorg next week and planning to make a day trip to Bekal fort from Madikeri. I would like to know the condition of Madikeri ->Sullia -> Cherkala -> Bekal roads.

Also, Please advice if this can be covered in a day. I will be traveling with my wife and kid.
Old 25th August 2016, 15:35   #245
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I would like to know the condition of Madikeri ->Sullia -> Cherkala -> Bekal roads.

Also, Please advice if this can be covered in a day. I will be traveling with my wife and kid.
The road conditions are good maybe just the odd culvert or bridge somewhere.
Madikeri-Somwarpet is nice, twisty roads.
If you start early morning from Madikeri, you should be able to visit Bekal (fort, anything else ?) and return before late evening if you start after lunch from Bekal.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:44   #246
BHPian

Planning on a trip to Bekal between 3-6th Sep. Planning a 4AM start taking the same route as rohanak1 Bangalore -> Nelamangala -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Jalsoor -> Adhur -> Bovikanam -> Bekal (Taj Vivanta) with breakfast stop at 'The ossoor' and reach Bekal for Lunch.

Return plan is to visit my sister in Mysore on 6th Sep and back to Bangalore by not later than 10:30PM ( kids school and office for me the next day :-) )

Wanted suggestions on the return route and info on if I can pick up some spices/coorg honey from somewhere enroute near Coorg. Also how much time should I ration for Bekal -> Mysore and route to take so I can reach Mysore by 2-3PM or so.
Old 25th August 2016, 20:05   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks - I will be visiting Coorg next week and planning to make a day trip to Bekal fort from Madikeri. I would like to know the condition of Madikeri ->Sullia -> Cherkala -> Bekal roads.

I dont think a day trip to Bekal is a good idea. There is nothing much to do in Bekal. You might be better off spending the day at Coorg.

If its just for the drive then by all means..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Return plan is to visit my sister in Mysore on 6th Sep and back to Bangalore by not later than 10:30PM ( kids school and office for me the next day :-) )

Wanted suggestions on the return route and info on if I can pick up some spices/coorg honey from somewhere enroute near Coorg. Also how much time should I ration for Bekal -> Mysore and route to take so I can reach Mysore by 2-3PM or so.
Its about 230-250km. Budget 5+ hours easily. If you start after breakfast, say 8AM sharp, you should be in Mysore by 1330 or so.

Last edited by ampere : 25th August 2016 at 20:09.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:00   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Planning on a trip to Bekal between 3-6th Sep. Planning a 4AM start taking the same route as rohanak1 Bangalore -> Nelamangala -> Hassan -> Sakleshpur -> Gundya -> Subramanya -> Jalsoor -> Adhur -> Bovikanam -> Bekal (Taj Vivanta) with breakfast stop at 'The ossoor' and reach Bekal for Lunch.

If you are staying back in Bekal, you can plan for a Boat ride in the Bekal Boat Stay at Kottappuram, Nileswaram (there are other Boat guys also..!!). Please note that Bekal Fort will be closed beyond 6pm, but you can go to a beach near to that. While coming back, you can try Kanhangad - Payyanur (Perumba) - Pariyaram - Sreekantapuram - Irikkoor - Koottupuzha - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur - Mysore (You can cover this in 5-6hrs easily)
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:01   #249
Senior - BHPian

I plan to drive to Bekal on Sep 3rd and return on Sep 5th.

I plan to go via

Whitefield - Nelamangala - Channarayapattana-Holenarsipur-Arkalagud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sullia -Bekal

and return via

Bekal-Cherakala-Jalsoor-Puttur-Uppinangady-Shiradi ghat-Sakleshpur-Hassan-CR Pattana-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore

Hope the roads are good. I don't mind few rough sections. As always - drive is equally important as the destination

Also, any suggestions to drive around at Bekal?
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:36   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I plan to drive to Bekal on Sep 3rd and return on Sep 5th.

I plan to go via

Whitefield - Nelamangala - Channarayapattana-Holenarsipur-Arkalagud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sullia -Bekal

and return via

Bekal-Cherakala-Jalsoor-Puttur-Uppinangady-Shiradi ghat-Sakleshpur-Hassan-CR Pattana-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore

Hope the roads are good. I don't mind few rough sections. As always - drive is equally important as the destination

Also, any suggestions to drive around at Bekal?
Thanks in advance.
If you are okey to take bit of rough road and small trekking, go to Ranipuram peak from Madikeri via Bhagamandala - Karikke - Panathur route. 26km thick forest in this route, forget even tea shop after Bhagamandala till you reach Panathur. From Panathur, in the Kanhangad route, you can see Ranipuram peak route in your left side. Once you reach there, you can walk around 30-40minutes to reach the top, remember there would be leaches some times. Once you come back, go straight to Bekal fort. Bekal fort is closed after evening 6pm and you have to come out from there. There is small beach near to the fort to spend the evening. Next day, you can go to Nileswaram, Kottappuram and take a boat ride in the river (they have packages of 1hr, 2hr, and day packages based on your requirement). If you are taking a day package, which is inclusive of food, they will take you to the Edayilekkadu island, a nice place to roam for some time..! Or else, go to Edayilekkadu by road from Nileswaram, and go to Madayippara possibly via chempallikkundu or direct route via Pilathara - Pazhayangadi Police station and right from there. Please do not drive out of the road here, you may get fined. From here you can come back to Bangalore via Payayangadi Police station - Ezhome - Kuppam - join NH here and drove another 2-3km to Chiravakk (thalipparamba) and take left to Hunsur via Sreekantapuram - Irikkur - Koottupuzha - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur. If you are driving without much break, you can reach Bangalore from Madayippara in 6-7hours.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:31   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The road conditions are good maybe just the odd culvert or bridge somewhere.
Madikeri-Somwarpet is nice, twisty roads.
If you start early morning from Madikeri, you should be able to visit Bekal (fort, anything else ?) and return before late evening if you start after lunch from Bekal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think a day trip to Bekal is a good idea. There is nothing much to do in Bekal. You might be better off spending the day at Coorg.

If its just for the drive then by all means..
Thanks guys.

Yeah - I was told that there isn't much at Bekal. Just wanted to visit the fort and spend sometime in the beach. I will be in Madikeri for 5 days and thought of spending one day in Bekal.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:52   #252
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be in Madikeri for 5 days and thought of spending one day in Bekal.
With 5 days at Madikeri, I think 1 day for Bekal is well worth it.
Also try to visit Virajpet, Iruppu falls, Mandalpatti, Abbi Falls, Bhagamandala, Talakavery, etc. You can do the whole 9 yards of Coorg with 5 days
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 07:52   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah - I was told that there isn't much at Bekal. Just wanted to visit the fort and spend sometime in the beach. I will be in Madikeri for 5 days and thought of spending one day in Bekal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With 5 days at Madikeri, I think 1 day for Bekal is well worth it.
Well, I would still disagree. Its about 240km total, which implies at least 5+ hours of road. The beach at Bekal is wild and people are asked not to venture (At least thats how I remember being mentioned when I was there sometime back).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:38   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be in Madikeri for 5 days and thought of spending one day in Bekal.
As suggested by Ampere, Bekal is a hit or miss and apart from the fort, I dont think there is much there. Instead you might just want to explore coorg as suggested by NPV. Some suggestions:

1) Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Karike - Sullia - Madikeri
Quote:
Road condition : Good upto Bhagamandala; Average upto to Sullia; Highway from Sullia to Madikeri (2 lane NH 275)
This route was more with the intention of wildlife/birds since it wound through the Greater Talacauvery Wildlife Sanctuary. However, neither was seen. The route itself is scenic and roads are bad at some spots. There is a fair amount of traffic with very little runoff. Karike is right on the border with Kerala and the turn towards Sullia is at Chemberi soon after you enter Kerala. There are no rest stops along this route, so carrying some biscuits/snacks & water are useful. Also, some bits of the road on the stretch from Chemberi to Sullia are under construction (cement roads being laid) and have only mud to cross. My Wagon R just about went through because it was a steep downhill. Had it been the other way, only a 4WD would have managed it.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...4076582964565/

2) Madikeri - Somwarpete - Mallalli falls
Check my thread for more details. Could also try and cover honamma kere - https://goo.gl/maps/3XQJe35Q3QB2

3) Chelavara water falls - https://goo.gl/maps/sd2x1uXUNpx not sure about water levels and route conditions

4) If a beach is a must, then check hemanth's thread. If you can get accommodation there, then it should be worth the 4 hours drive from madikeri.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:29   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Well, I would still disagree. Its about 240km total, which implies at least 5+ hours of road. The beach at Bekal is wild and people are asked not to venture (At least thats how I remember being mentioned when I was there sometime back).
Thanks Ampere. I will seriously give a thought about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
As suggested by Ampere, Bekal is a hit or miss and apart from the fort, I dont think there is much there. Instead you might just want to explore coorg as suggested by NPV. Some suggestions:

1) Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Karike - Sullia - Madikeri

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...4076582964565/

2) Madikeri - Somwarpete - Mallalli falls
Check my thread for more details. Could also try and cover honamma kere - https://goo.gl/maps/3XQJe35Q3QB2

3) Chelavara water falls - https://goo.gl/maps/sd2x1uXUNpx not sure about water levels and route conditions

4) If a beach is a must, then check hemanth's thread. If you can get accommodation there, then it should be worth the 4 hours drive from madikeri.
Awesome procrj. This really helps. Appreciate it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks