Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:06   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Merely posting this note here for general information.
I have nothing to do with either the forum or the author being quoted.
https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme...t=share_button
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme...t=share_button
I agree, I went on the road last week and came back at night and quite frankly driving at night here is quite scary.

The road is not well lit and most of the bridges have no view beyond 100 Meters and you are going in blind at the speed of 100 Km/h, there is not enough time to react if someone suddenly stops or if there's some dead dog on the road which also is quite common here for some reason.
Old 3rd February 2023, 11:59   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
I agree, I went on the road last week and came back at night and quite frankly driving at night here is quite scary.

The road is not well lit and most of the bridges have no view beyond 100 Meters and you are going in blind at the speed of 100 Km/h, there is not enough time to react if someone suddenly stops or if there's some dead dog on the road which also is quite common here for some reason.
With due respect, nothing he has written is unique to this highway. You have people speeding left right and center on every highway. You have people joining abruptly everywhere. You have maintenance and diversions of the kind he mentioned everywhere which requires merging of lanes. You have trucks and cars alike who hog the overtaking lane - driving well below the speed limit. I even saw people stopping on the shoulder or grass to access the highway restaurants instead of taking a U Turn on the service road. The only real issue he highlights is the lack of illumination - and I can't comment on this as I haven't driven down that road in dark.

I think it is time we appreciate the gains we have made compared to a couple of decades ago and make best use of it. We are ages away from the kind of discipline and enforcement (Indians are at their best when circumventing enforcement) which can make our roads safer. They will behave the same even if you provide them 6 lanes each, IMHO.
theabstractmind is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 13:35   #274
BHPian

I am planning to take the expressway to Mysore tomorrow. On the way I am planning to visit the Srirangapatna temple. Is there a properly marked exit from the expressway to the Srirangapatna town? Does Google maps also show this exit?
Old 3rd February 2023, 13:58   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme...bengaluru_and/
I took the BMEW on my way to Calicut, yesterday. This was my second trip and I did observe there is major improvement since the last one in November. But we need to be aware that the EW is still an unfinished product. I counted 5 separate locations where the main carriageway is not open to traffic; detours via service roads or temporary roads are implemented. Access control is not in place everywhere. Most important (for me) is the free left turn lane (easily missed unless you are looking for it) at the Columbia Asia junction to exit onto the clockwise MRR.

The points mentioned in the Reddit post in my view, fall into one of three categories:

1. Not specific to BMEW, but common on all roads in India. "Trucks on rightmost lane", "people overtake from the left" etc.
2. Issues with BMEW, but hopefully will be sorted out by the time the road's construction is completed. Access control, autos/tractors, merge lanes from towns bypassed etc.
3. Driver issue. "An inexperienced driver may not be able to drop to 20 Kmph from 100 kmph within 5 seconds" - such drivers have no business driving, in my opinion.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 09:02   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
From Bangalore? Yes, you can. Need to make sure you exit before the Srirangapatna bypass start and go into the town area.
I will be exiting NICE road to join Mysore road - though I haven't taken this route in a long time. At what point (coming from Bangalore) will I enter the "expressway"? And at what point should I exit the expressway to enter Srirangapatna to reach railway station area? I tried to check google maps but it wasn't easy to differentiate between service road vs express way.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 09:23   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I will be exiting NICE road to join Mysore road - though I haven't taken this route in a long time. At what point (coming from Bangalore) will I enter the "expressway"? And at what point should I exit the expressway to enter Srirangapatna to reach railway station area? I tried to check google maps but it wasn't easy to differentiate between service road vs express way.
You will get onto the EW immediately after the exit of NICE road, this is after Kadamba Hotel on the left.

For entering Srirangapatna from EW, it's easier as the work is still in progress near the exit. Sharing the map screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-screenshot-20230209-092040.jpg  

speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:16   #278
BHPian

Proposed toll rates:
https://twitter.com/IndexKarnataka/s...28788081053703
sanjaykk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:42   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
It is named as Kaveri Expressway is it?

Is this a genuine source? 135/- for car seems to be reasonable. Not sure if it is that is all. It is says it is just proposed rates. Probably not the final.
Old 10th February 2023, 13:48   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

This nice drone shot of Expressway+ Vande Bharat has been going viral over the last couple of days

https://twitter.com/shrirambn/status...AvJlJ6FQg&s=03
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 14:11   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Is this a genuine source? 135/- for car seems to be reasonable. Not sure if it is that is all. It is says it is just proposed rates. Probably not the final.
Not sure. This Twitter handle usually posts information related to projects in Karnataka.
I don't think the name is finalized yet. And the toll listed is just for Bangalore - Nidaghatta stretch.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 16:22   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
So its cheaper than what i used to pay for my office commute on NICE road (PES to ECity. I stopped btw).
Fun fact, if anyone plans on using NICE Road, please be aware that i paid 155 rupees to drive in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours this week. Keep this in mind if you are planning to take NICE to mysore road and then the expressway.
Abhiram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 18:34   #283
HTC
BANNED

Massive jam near boodanuru. I'm struck from 1 hour. Taking village farms route. Even ambulance taking kachha route between agriculture land. They are asphalting the service road while underpass section of Express way is not complete, bringing the entire traff to halt
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-20230210_181741.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-20230210_181627.jpg  

HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 23:29   #284
BHPian

Travelled to Mysore last week on the expressway and below are my findings, also saw two major accidents enroute.

Pros :

- Huge time saving compared to previous highway - all bypasses open for major towns enroute
- Good Tarmac surface for the most part
- Picturesque views esp. Ramnagar with amazing hills and Mandya with rolling fields
- Awesome sunset and moon lit views

Cons :

- Fencing broken and mangled in multiple places, also rusted and poor condition already with plants overgrown
- Roadkill in multiple places could be due to dogs crossing through gaps in fences
- People and cows crossing randomly
- Unlit sections at night makes night driving risky
- Poorly designed exits with hardly any signage’s indicating well before
- Merging traffic at certain junctions and exits without any warning - vehicles just jump onto the road rather than merge with main carriageway
- Indisciplined driving including lane jumping and over speeding
- Serious design defect in bridge curves with one bridge near Mandya suddenly narrowing from 3 lanes to 2.5 lanes width
- Poor quality expansion joints

Overall this cannot be termed an access controlled expressway, its just a glorified highway, and quite evident from the poor finishing at underpasses, undulating road surface in certain sections indicates poor base work and surfacing, service roads are also averagely built.

If signage’s are improved and traffic rules implemented via cameras and enforcement, it will go a long way in bettering the experience.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 10th February 2023 at 23:31.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 09:32   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

As per Newspaper Article, this Rs. 135 Toll is proposed only for 1st stretch of BLR - Mysuru E-Way, from Bengaluru to Nidaghatta.

The toll for the 2nd stretch from Nidaghatta to Mysore is yet to be announced,

Courtesy Article Link as below,

https://epaper.timesgroup.com/articl...005_toibgc_TOI

Last edited by shantanumishra : 11th February 2023 at 09:33. Reason: Changed the URL
shantanumishra is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks