Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 09:01   #346
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Not sure if you were able to read the article as it was in Kannada. The reasons for accidents are cited as below. ...
And I think the article misses another key factor - insane driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
So the expressway then should have ideally not been opened to public before official inauguration. Is this what you want ?
Irrespective of the inauguration or otherwise, unless people drive with some sense, I doubt things will improve.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I don't give the NHAI an inch of wriggle room on this one. They have messed up.
NHAI got everything clean on their platter, no land acquisition issues, probably zero funding as the project was built with loans borrowed from banks. All they had to do was to monitor work quality, public are paying toll not only for speed but for safety and security too, the builder will get the money only after toll collection starts as clarified by the former CM.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:31   #348
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a Greenfield expressway, so no they didn't have a choice.

But there was nothing stopping them from policing. There was nothing stopping them from having a sane speed limit till construction is done. Nothing stopping them from giving adequate and proper warnings for any diversions - even a painted sign or a flexboard is a good start. And definitely nothing stopping them from designing the highway to be safe in the first instance.

And mind you, all this is in the dry season. Wait for the rains (which start as early as April end in these parts) to see how bad this highway can get. Last monsoon, I was forced to stick to the middle lane because the inner and outer lanes were flooded at random unexpected stretches.

I don't give the NHAI an inch of wriggle room on this one. They have messed up.
Well all your complaints make sense after today’s formal inauguration. Till then drivers were just Beta testers of the expressway.

If things are not right after today’s inauguration you have full right to complaint . Possibly amenities do take some time so some patience from drivers would be needed but if basic signage is missing after today that deserves a complaint
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:58   #349
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a Greenfield expressway, so no they didn't have a choice.

And mind you, all this is in the dry season. Wait for the rains (which start as early as April end in these parts) to see how bad this highway can get. Last monsoon, I was forced to stick to the middle lane because the inner and outer lanes were flooded at random unexpected stretches.
I totally agree with this and had mentioned this in an earlier post of mine. What i faced was outright dangerous. There was a thick layer of water flowing smoothly across the road at multiple places. This cannot even be seen from a distance and could be very dangerous if a car enter this section at high speed. And this was on a section of road that was then completed and was already having white markings, so I am unsure if there will be any more tar layer on top of this to fix such slopping issues. I will be very careful on my first drive through this road in the next rainy season.
ak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 12:26   #350
BHPian

I have to travel to Ooty in the coming week from HSR. When I check through Google Maps it shows the way from Kanakpura>Malavalli>Bannur instead of the new expressway through Ramanagra>Channapatna>Mandya.

Any ideas which route is better?
Old 12th March 2023, 12:37   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I have to travel to Ooty in the coming week from HSR. When I check through Google Maps it shows the way from Kanakpura>Malavalli>Bannur instead of the new expressway through Ramanagra>Channapatna>Mandya.

Stick to the new highway. You will hit the Mysore ring road from where you can connect to the Ooty road.

On the Google maps suggested route, the stretch from Bangalore to Malavalli is poor and clogged. Avoid it.

Google maps is not really updated with the new expressways alignment.
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:01   #352
BHPian

An auspicious day today. I have been travelling on this strech for past 20yrs and finally we get a proper expressway to connect IT capital with heritage city. Dilip Buildcon has done a great job with execution of the project. Manipal junction flyover should completed asap to remove the blockage at Mysore end.

Congratulations to all!!
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:11   #353
BHPian

Quote:

The new highway has been closed for traffic today (12 Mar) for the formal inaguration. More details in this post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5508316

Since many people have marked several sections of the road as closed, (if you view in traffic mode you can see) google maps is giving alternate routes. Google maps may continue to show incorrect/sub-optimal routes for several days to come till the closed markings are removed.

So you can ignore the Gmaps for now and take the new eway.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:11   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I check through Google Maps it shows the way from Kanakpura>Malavalli>Bannur instead of the new expressway through .

I use the Bannur route to Mysore always, it is in very bad shape now. Please use the new expressway.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 14:57   #355
Senior - BHPian

Pratap Simha requesting Public to drive cautiously on the Mysuru-Bengaluru Expressway: (Seek to 7m 42s)

Meanwhile PM Modi has inaugurated the Highway in Mandya

vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 16:31   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Pratap Simha requesting Public to drive cautiously on the Mysuru-Bengaluru Expressway: (Seek to 7m 42s)
I feel this message needs to be reiterated and some mechanism challan errant drivers should be brought in.

BTW: Disappointing to note that the MP and the journalist are happy riding without seat belts on.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-2023_03_12_16_27_49_window.png  

whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 22:52   #357
BHPian

Had an impromptu day trip to Mysuru yesterday, just a day before inauguration. It took 35 + 45 mins from NICE road junction to ORR junction Mysuru, with a break at Empire restaurant before Maddur, with peaceful driving. There are still 2 diversions which unfortunately they couldn't complete before the inauguration.

It is a game changer; and when the Kushalnagar stretch is 4-laned as per today's paper, I can see it taking a significant portion of the coastal/ dakshin kannada crowd, reducing pressure on NH 75.

Given what the earlier highway was like, I think it is still a cultural shock to several people using the highway, from pickup-trucks to even the "elite" in their Fortuners. While the former blocked the fast lane at 40 kmph, the latter happily parked just in front of the Maddur food court, I was wondering what the point was, until I saw the cutout in fence, a jugaad which would save them a princely sum of Rs. 20 in fuel costs in a 40L+ vehicle.

Hope to see highway patrols taking an iron hand and fix these jugaad cutouts (I saw about 3-4 of them).

Also, note that the 2 arch-truss bridges near Mandya are not fully 6-lanes. Each side is just wider than 2 lanes. It can be a death trap; one needs to be very careful.
mayukh42 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:03   #358
Senior - BHPian

First accident after the inaguration of expressway, it was near Maddur. There was no loss of lives!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/publict...re-expressway/
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:07   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

So that could be the reason for this .. was wondering why should traffic be concentrated in this section

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-myseeway.jpg
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 13:52   #360
Senior - BHPian

Made a first round trip on the Mysore-Bangalore express way over the week end. On Saturday left NICE Road and entered the express highway (the fly over) at 1:24PM. After a steady drive, reached Mysore Columbia Asia signal Jn at 2:44PM. Made the return trip today. Moved to the Express highway from Columbia Asia signal Jn at 9:24AM, and was on the NICE Road (Mysore Road tool booth) at 10:35AM.

The express way is now completely byepassing towns like Channapatna, Ramanagar, Maddur, Mandya and Srirangapatna. Boards like "next exit after 10kms" have also been placed. The only deviations via service road was at one point after Mandya and at one point after Srirangapatna. Here two road over bridges are not completed. At least when I made the trips the traffic seems to be flowing smooth and having some kind of lane discipline.

One thing which I noted was that, drives on this route seems to be inducing sleep. At times got a feeling of drowsiness, so had to ask my wife to drive for some time. Later she also said the same thing. That going at good steady speed, and no much steering wheel control to be done; yet to remain alert - it seems to cause drowsiness.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks