Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 15:45   #331
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

I use the highway regularly, at least twice a month. While the highway is a massive improvement over the previous 4-laner, it is still unsafe.

There are multiple exits / entries for access to towns and villages. These so called exits are just breaks in the service road barricades;.the left most lane has to double up as the exit / entry lane. This is a recipe for disaster since an unwary vehicle on the left most lane can get surprised by someone trying to merge in from the service lane. It's very difficult for the merging vehicle also since the highway lane is not easily visible from the service road. I think proper exit and merging lanes are required atleast for all major towns along the way.

The signage is atrocious. There's no proper indication of upcoming exits etc.

There's a need for heavy policing and awareness building - I have seen cars driven at insane speeds very often, high speed tailgating, and downright ridiculous actions like parking on the right most lane!

My advice to everyone is to be super defensive when driving on this road. You'll still reach in good time. May just not be "brag worthy" time.

Last edited by qaqa : 6th March 2023 at 16:02.
qaqa is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:02   #332
BHPian

Was on this route last Saturday and agree with each of these points. What was a fun ride a couple of months ago has now become somewhat tiring with the recklessness of few of the road. Decided to adopt a cautious approach hence. What's even more appealing is the time it takes to get to the destination once we enter nice road. The road works have been going on for a while. Thankfully I reached by evening and did not have to face a lot of the electronic city - hosa road junction traffic.
Old 8th March 2023, 10:32   #333
BHPian

Received on WhatsApp.
Route diversion announced on Mar-12-2023, in view on official inauguration of Bengaluru Mysuru Expressway by PM Modi and rally.

News link: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...u-highway.html
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-img20230308wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by DetectiveMiles : 8th March 2023 at 10:50. Reason: added news link
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:24   #334
Senior - BHPian

As reported in the newspaper, the expressway has seen more than 80 deaths and there is an increase in accidents,

https://www.prajavani.net/karnataka-...y-1021993.html
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:51   #335
BHPian

Expect Havoc on the Bangalore Mysore stretch via Kanakapura on March 12. Expressway closed from 6 am-6 pm. Diversions in place throughout.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66594818.ece

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th March 2023 at 13:29. Reason: Fixed broken URL.
vandemanw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:20   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Expect Havoc on the Bangalore Mysore stretch via Kanakapura on March 12. Expressway closed from 6 am-6 pm. Diversions in place throughout.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66594818.ece
I hope it does not delay my departure from Sarjapur Road to Hyderabad by road tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if the airport to Hebbal road will be affected by this visit?
Old 10th March 2023, 09:41   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I hope it does not delay my departure from Sarjapur Road to Hyderabad by road tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if the airport to Hebbal road will be affected by this visit?
They usually use the HAL Airport and take a helicopter. So the KIA airport will not be affected. I also did an early morning drive on KIA airport road this morning and didn't see any banners or flexboards.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 10:41   #338
BHPian

I think with service roads not complete and few diversions, the traffic is still not smooth. I hope everything will be fine once they complete them and ban 2 wheelers, farm vehicles etc.
Old 10th March 2023, 11:40   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
As reported in the newspaper, the expressway has seen more than 80 deaths and there is an increase in accidents,

https://www.prajavani.net/karnataka-...y-1021993.html
I am aghast at reading this. There are literally no reports anywhere else on these apalling incidents and statistics. What is the NHAI doing to prevent these? Oh I forgot, they must be busy regarding the inagurations, celebrations and making statements. I am disgusted that there is no outrage in NHAI about this heart sinking report. Excellence in disappointment continues.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:08   #340
Senior - BHPian

I too was surprised that how media has avoided these accidents, a young MP is fighting to take credit for the project although 95% of the highway does not come under his constituency. There is definitely a need for restrooms or did NHAI think that people can control nature call for 2 hours on this expressway.
Old 10th March 2023, 22:43   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
IWhat is the NHAI doing to prevent these?
What should NHAI do to prevent the accidents? What does the report say about the accidents, that you are after NHAI to solve it.
balenoed_ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:08   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What should NHAI do to prevent the accidents? What does the report say about the accidents, that you are after NHAI to solve it.
Not sure if you were able to read the article as it was in Kannada. The reasons for accidents are cited as below. I have not verified anything, but powers that be can easily do so. I believe most of these are under the purview of NHAI. If I am wrong, then I am mistaken.

1. No signboards on anything throughout the highway. Entry or Exits, or Speed limits etc etc.

2. There are too many curves on all bridges in Mysore and Mandya district limits. Vehicles are slipping where the bridges are joining the roads. Both these factors are being cited as significant contributors.

3. No speed limits posted and enforced anywhere. Its a free for all. If only there were some deterrence.

4. NO facility for Ambulances or Fire Engines to reach the accident spots in time due to 7 feet barriers. No provisions made to facilitate urgent medical care. Even the basics are missing.

5. Accident zones are not indicated.

6. Still there are some constructions going on. Only the road surface is ready but its not ready for safe vehicular movement.

Thanks.
bsdbsd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:43   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Not sure if you were able to read the article as it was in Kannada. The reasons for accidents are cited as below. I have not verified anything, but powers that be can easily do so. I believe most of these are under the purview of NHAI. If I am wrong, then I am mistaken.

1. No signboards on anything throughout the highway. Entry or Exits, or Speed limits etc etc.

2. There are too many curves on all bridges in Mysore and Mandya district limits. Vehicles are slipping where the bridges are joining the roads. Both these factors are being cited as significant contributors.

3. No speed limits posted and enforced anywhere. Its a free for all. If only there were some deterrence.

4. NO facility for Ambulances or Fire Engines to reach the accident spots in time due to 7 feet barriers. No provisions made to facilitate urgent medical care. Even the basics are missing.

5. Accident zones are not indicated.

6. Still there are some constructions going on. Only the road surface is ready but its not ready for safe vehicular movement.

Thanks.
So the expressway then should have ideally not been opened to public before official inauguration. Is this what you want ?

Last edited by steadfast : 11th March 2023 at 12:44.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 13:06   #344
Senior - BHPian

The reason for opening the expressway may be political but toll collection before completing the project and delay in completion of service roads cannot be ignored.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 21:51   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
So the expressway then should have ideally not been opened to public before official inauguration. Is this what you want ?
It's not a Greenfield expressway, so no they didn't have a choice.

But there was nothing stopping them from policing. There was nothing stopping them from having a sane speed limit till construction is done. Nothing stopping them from giving adequate and proper warnings for any diversions - even a painted sign or a flexboard is a good start. And definitely nothing stopping them from designing the highway to be safe in the first instance.

And mind you, all this is in the dry season. Wait for the rains (which start as early as April end in these parts) to see how bad this highway can get. Last monsoon, I was forced to stick to the middle lane because the inner and outer lanes were flooded at random unexpected stretches.

I don't give the NHAI an inch of wriggle room on this one. They have messed up.
qaqa is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks