Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 23:37   #466
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
Shivalli?
Yes. Thats correct. My bad on the typo.

Last edited by bblost : 27th April 2023 at 23:48. Reason: fixed tag.
Old 28th April 2023, 13:52   #467
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Mysore & back yesterday!
6-lane highway is a bliss to drive, can easily cruise on speeds of 100-110 kmph.
However you need to keep an eye on the rear-view mirror & side mirrors, as speedily driven cars overtake you from both right & left.
All major & minor (plenty) Exits are clearly marked. One Toll booth (near Bidadi) is operational, the other one near Mysore is not yet operational.
NICE jn to Manipal Hospital Jn (Mysore) can be covered in 1 - 1.2 hours without break.

Last edited by finneyp : 28th April 2023 at 14:01.
Old 28th April 2023, 14:11   #468
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
How do you reckon they go from BLR to Bidadi, Ramanagara, etc since there is no service road yet?

At first I was pissed to learn 2 wheelers would be banned; but once I saw how they ride with fast cars passing next to them, I would gladly give up riding for their safety. Even some cars have no clue how to stay in their lanes while taking curves - definitely too dangerous for others.
I rode on the expressway in the beginning of April on my way back from Madikeri and had to venture off the expressway to refuel my bike. I headed into Bidadi using the designated exit and then had to make my way back. I took a wrong turn and missed the entry point at Bidadi on the way back and followed the service road for quite a bit (20-25 kms), trying to find the next entry point. To be honest, I didn't have any issue with this since the service roads are in excellent condition, barring the speed-breakers installed at village/town entry points. Was smooth tarmac throughout while I was on the service roads.

But yes, I don't think you can traverse the service roads all the way from BLR to MYS. At one point on the service road, I came underneath one of the bridges of the expressway and the road basically U-turned under the bridge to the other side of the expressway and took me back the way I came. There was no way for me to cross to the other side of the bridge using the service road. Not sure if they'll build a bridge underneath as well or if they expect us to head off into the towns and rejoin the service road at a distance further ahead. Seems like a not so well thought out proposal to force the 2-wheelers and others to use the service road if it doesn't extend all the way, including under the multiple bridges.
Old 28th April 2023, 14:35   #469
BHPian

Purely Off Topic:

I read an article which said that many locals are angry that their livelihood is affected due to this highway. Chinnapatna (toys) and few other towns famous for their idli/ dosa etc. are witnessing a huge drop in sales.

Locals say that will vote out folks who implemented this new highway.

Therefore, I wonder. What's the incentive for any govt. to construct such infrastructure when locals simply don't want it. While these roads might not be beneficial for locals it is a boon for folks in Bangalore/ Mysore and other connecting toys.

MODS: Hope I am not breaking any rules with this post.
Old 28th April 2023, 14:42   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
But yes, I don't think you can traverse the service roads all the way from BLR to MYS...Seems like a not so well thought out proposal to force the 2-wheelers and others to use the service road if it doesn't extend all the way, including under the multiple bridges.
That is precisely the issue. There's no alternative route right now as the service road is incomplete. Also, there's no option for cars to NOT pay to go to Ramanagara/Channapattana/Maddur/Mandya - you will have to go through the toll gate and you will get charged the entire amount till Mysore.

Quote:
At one point on the service road, I came underneath one of the bridges of the expressway and the road basically U-turned under the bridge to the other side of the expressway and took me back the way I came. There was no way for me to cross to the other side of the bridge using the service road. Not sure if they'll build a bridge underneath as well or if they expect us to head off into the towns and rejoin the service road at a distance further ahead.
I was on the service road looking for fuel, and I too got bamboozled yesterday lol! There's a railway crossing there hence the U-turn. An overpass for the service road is required. I had to backtrack and go inside Channapattana and couldn't rejoin until after Ramanagara. The old Mysore road was so empty!

IMHO it will be hard to limit EW to only BLR <-> Mysore traffic. Best option for everyone is to have toll gates near the major towns which are 25-30km apart.
bravo6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:53   #471
Senior - BHPian

PM’s visit on April 30! Traffic diversion on Mysuru-Bengaluru Expressway
Quote:
The vehicles going from Mysuru to Bengaluru through Mandya, should take Bannur- Kirugavalu-Malavalli- Halgur and Kanakapura routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Locals say that will vote out folks who implemented this new highway.
The local biz owners will shift their business to new highways in the next few years. I think residents of the by-passed town must be happy that traffic has reduced and their towns have become liveable.
Quote:
The old Mysore road was so empty!
Yes, the bottleneck signals have gone in all the towns.

Last edited by msdivy : 28th April 2023 at 15:05.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:28   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Therefore, I wonder. What's the incentive for any govt. to construct such infrastructure when locals simply don't want it. While these roads might not be beneficial for locals it is a boon for folks in Bangalore/ Mysore and other connecting toys.
Lets not get too deep into the political part, but there is a certain kind of narrow minded, selfishness that exists within humans in general. The lesser this trait, better developed a region/country will become. They dont look at the broader aspects and long term benefits. Few topics I have about this project to argue against these unhappy people:
  • No one seems to appreciate the fact about towns like Mandya, Maddur, Ramanagara getting rid of the brunt of so many vehicles, causing traffic jams, pollution, accidents and spoiling the quality of life of local commuters.
  • These were the same people who demanded road humps and barricades all over the place, initially for safety and later for attracting crowds to their establishments
  • If a certain establishment was so reputed and their service is highly regarded, they will never have trouble in attracting customers no matter where they are located
  • Instead, they created a mess of the earlier Bangalore-Mysore highway, highly crowded and stressful to drive, due to which people were forced to take a break. And we know how many Channapatna toy dealers could actually do business without a hotel where people had to stop
  • Thats basically how these business ran, create a scenario which will benefit them.

Now crying about this isnt really going to help. Its absurd to expect the government to support businesses by hindering infrastructure. Its like tyre shops complaining about roads getting better and lesser punctures thus affecting their business.

Lastly, speaking about votes, if a certain group of people want to consider development as a negative aspect, then they are best living in the stone age. And I hope they arent victorious enough to undo development. That will just be the lows of humanity. I hope further development isnt hindered due to such narrow minded threats.
audioholic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:47   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
These were the same people who demanded road humps and barricades all over the place, initially for safety and later for attracting crowds to their establishments
This is one of the reasons I had stopped using the old (so called) highway for a decade and would take the Blr - Kunigal - Nagamangala - Pandavaura road to Mysore.

But the new 'expressway' is also not without its share of woes - 3 wheelers (esp those with generators as motors) in the fast lane (can never say if they are moving forward or halted or moving backward), 2 wheelers (including cycles) showing off snake moves, Teen and not so teen driven farm vehicles trying to out smart one another, large scale 'Fence mending' s for an entire marriage party to cross the road. Also, the attitude of 'lets-block-the-expressway-today' attitude of the local budding politicians for all the 'my tap running dry' issues.
Again, not entirely their fault as the service roads are not complete- (bridges missing, no underpass/over pass for pedestrians, etc).

However, all said and done, hopefully, this will turnout for good.

Last edited by kiran_aithal : 28th April 2023 at 18:48. Reason: .
kiran_aithal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 09:39   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
... hopefully, this will turnout for good.
Even with the morons driving dangerously, it is already a huge improvement compared to before:
  • 3 lanes now from previous 2
  • Lower traffic density, so getting higher mileage + higher average speed!
  • No speed breakers, except the loooong rumbler strip near an overpass that curves. SH-17 at one point had 130+ speed breakers. That's an average of one speed breaker every km between BLR & Mysore!
bravo6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 10:18   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
I dont see a single thread which has all the decent eating places so can anyone give pointers to regular Kamats, Adiga, AdyarBhavan etc with clean rest rooms and which have convenient access
I left on 25th and returned on 29th.
For an old conservative driver it took 1 hour 20 minutes from expressway entry to exit.
deepak_misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 12:27   #476
BHPian

I travelled on this "express" way last week from Bangalore to Mysore, by a KSRTC (Kumbhakonam - Mysore). It took only less than two hours to reach Mysore BS from Bangalore Satellite BS.

I returned by car after four days.

However, this is not a perfect express highway. There were many exits without any toll gates at exit-point service road. There were plenty of vehicles, including two wheelers, pick ups, and slow-moving autorikshaws. This is very unlike the Lucknow - Agra Expressway or the Purvanchal Expressway. They are, of course, state highways. This is one NHAI enterprise, I think. In sometime, it can become one like the 6-lane Kanpur - Auraiya highway, with mad rush of all kinds of vehicles.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:32   #477
BHPian

Had the fortune or misfortune of taking the expressway yesterday to Paschima Vahini, Srirangapatna, for obvious reasons. The Kengeri section is the major bottleneck, both for entry and exit from the expressway. Long weekend and PMs election rally made things worse. Had to go through 25-30 mins of congestion both ways.

The expressway itself is excellent, but 60-70% of the drivers were just moronic testing the speed limits of their car no matter which lane they are in. Witnessed an accident too. Lot of tyre screech marks on a new road, makes it quite scary actually and doesnt feel safe. Best and safe thing to do is stick to middle lane and not to cross 100.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 30th April 2023 at 19:45.
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:26   #478
BHPian

Had the misfortune of driving to Mysuru on Sunday around noon due to an impromptu plan. Didn't stay updated with the news on PMs visit. Started from e-city I at 11:40. The EW toll was open and tolls were collected from all vehicles. Within 10-15 minutes of driving after toll, the EW was blocked. Cops asked us to go via Malavalli road! Did anyone drive to Mysuru on Sunday and faced same issue? Felt cheated. This is just daylight robbery. Why collect toll if the EW is closed? Also why block EW when a VIP is visiting Mysore? It took us 6 hours to reach Mysore. Entire family kept cursing Modi until going to bed.
lifeinpune is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:25   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
This is just daylight robbery.
Indeed yes. I heard from many and didn't believe it till I saw the toll SMS. Diversion onto service just after toll road? They got to be kidding. Either they should have blocked access to toll roads at the entrance or made it free at the toll booth.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 07:52   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
Had the misfortune of driving to Mysuru on Sunday around noon due to an impromptu plan. Didn't stay updated with the news on PMs visit. Started from e-city I at 11:40. The EW toll was open and tolls were collected from all vehicles. Within 10-15 minutes of driving after toll, the EW was blocked. ...
Please do write to NHAI asking for a refund (etc.nodal@ihmcl.com / https://ihmcl.co.in/contact-us/ ). Unless people demand proper service they will be taken for granted.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks