Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:59   #556
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
It was absolutely fine with a 1 pm start from Mysore. Did it became bad later in the evening. I
aah! I drove back around 5 PM, it was an absolute mess including a 20 min wait at the toll gate before entering Bangalore.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:32   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On peak hours/days, if going to Coorg side (Hunsur road), it is better to take the KRS road
Yes, the KRS road is in good condition as of May 15 when I traveled. We can exit at Yelawala, which avoids the traffic prone stretch of Hunsur road after bypass as well. It took 30 mins with sedate driving from NH275 to NH275.

The only gripe is the 2nd toll (not active yet) is before Srirangapatna exit. To avoid that we need to take Pandavapura exit which seems to have a railway crossing as per maps.
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:42   #558
Senior - BHPian

I expected this and started early. It is sad that things have not improved much during the peak hours, lane discipline if enforced/followed show improve things I hope.

20 mins at toll plaza is a real killer, wondering if it make sense to take exit before the plaza and use the service road!
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:34   #559
BHPian

Quote:
I expected this and started early. It is sad that things have not improved much during the peak hours, lane discipline if enforced/followed show improve things I hope.
During peak hours, its a real mess with Lane switching. Even with lanes, I believe it would still take time for our people to understand which lane they should be in.

I did BLR - MYS during non peak hour which was beautiful but return was during peak hours and it screwed all the pleasure I had earlier.

If anyone is planning a trip, time it properly.
temala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:09   #560
BHPian

Used the expressway from Mysore to Bangalore last Sunday.

The opposite route (Bangalore to Mysore) was in absolute mess at Columbia Asia signal.

1. Biker going on the wrong side in my lane. Huge Traffic pile up at Mysore entry
    Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-bikerandpileup.jpg

2. Vehicles taking U turn in the expressway at Mysore entry, so that they can take the service road to escape the pile up. This means that now we have a large set of vehicles going the 'wrong way'
    Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-reversetrafficwrongway.jpg

3. 'Wrong way' and 'Right way' vehicles meet each other
    Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-bothtrafficmeets.jpg

Seeing all those vehicles, including buses, deciding to take U turn and move opposite to traffic was a new experience for me
Not sure how long people were stuck, leading to this mass wrong way driving.

Full video:

Mysore to Bangalore lane was fine (other than the wrong side biker at start). Did not face any issues.
Got charged Rs 70/- at Sheshagirihalli toll plaza (Ramanagar).
Bangalore entry had minimal traffic when I reached.

While the highway runs are now much calmer and saner, I do not see the time saving in practice when I reach my home town in Kerala.

KRS road was in terrible (absolute terrible pathetic) state last time I had taken it. Will try that next time since it seems to be restored.
srikanthmadhava is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 21:21   #561
BHPian

Apologies if this has been answered already, but can someone please explain this street sign that you see quite often on this 'expressway'?
Name:  mysoreexpresswaystreetsign.png
Views: 602
Size:  190.2 KB

An electric charging station ahead? I saw many such signs, but no charging stations on the expressway. There are no dedicated fueling stations or a rest area either on the entire expressway, so unlikely there's a charging station.

Image attribution: https://www.google.com/maps/@12.7698...!1e1?entry=ttu

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 26th May 2023 at 21:22. Reason: added image attribution
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 21:31   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Apologies if this has been answered already, but can someone please explain this street sign that you see quite often on this 'expressway'?
Well, red triangles are cautionary signs (fuel station indicators are informational signs so should be in blue rectangles). Maybe cautioning you about the 110 KV (I guess) transmission line that crosses over the highway just ahead of that sign, visible in street view?

Last edited by binand : 26th May 2023 at 21:34.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 21:46   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Maybe cautioning you about the 110 KV (I guess) transmission line that crosses over the highway just ahead of that sign, visible in street view?
A quick image search in Google confirms just that. It's a warning sign for high voltage overhead electric cables.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:11   #564
Senior - BHPian

Another accident and 2 young students lost their life on the expressway on Saturday. Report says the bike rammed behind a parked truck, wondering how a truck can be parked on a expressway!
Old 29th May 2023, 14:09   #565
BHPian

How could any road planner with a working brain and understanding of bangalore-mysore traffic patterns not have foreseen the mess that will be created at the ring road junction when entering mysore?
As this expressway was nearing completion, the first thing I told my better half was that we will travel to that junction faster than before and spend the time saved in crossing that junction and it has been proven true.. If I can come to that conclusion correctly sitting at home and with only a few blore mysore run experience, any planner with a working brain should have reached the same conclusion and planned accordingly.
Now they will start some flyover and other works in that junction and it will create a larger mess till that work is complete and it then it will shift the bottleneck to the next junction.
Pathetic planning with no accountability. If I planned a project like this, my company would have fired me long ago.
etrast75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 15:03   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Another accident and 2 young students lost their life on the expressway on Saturday. Report says the bike rammed behind a parked truck, wondering how a truck can be parked on a expressway!
It is verey sad. But, we just don't deserve good roads. We misuse and abuse them. While it is entirely wrong to park a truck in an expressway, one doesn't ride or drive with their eyes closed. How can anyone miss a truck? At whhat speed were they riding the bike to not give them enough timie to react appropriately after spotting a parked truck? It is also obvious that there aren't enough highway patrol monitoring such traffic violations.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 29th May 2023 at 15:10.
Old 5th June 2023, 10:14   #567

4th June 2023
I just did the onward and return journey between Bangalore and Mysore.

Overall experience: 6.5/10

Pros:
  1. Smooth surface which makes driving a breeze very comfortable
  2. Travel times have been cut down significantly. Sharing the timing fo each leg in detail below.
  3. Speed limit signage is present across the expressway. Makes it easy to set up cruise control and cruise your way to the destination.

Cons:
  1. All and sundry are using the expressway. Two-wheelers (w/o helmets), two-wheelers blocking the right most lane while driving at 80 not letting you overtake them after multiple requests, auto rickshaws, cargo autos, trucks, lorries.
  2. There is absolutley no lane discpline. This makes driving on such a beautiful road to frustrating.
  3. As reported by some other BHPians, I did see the lone car going in the opposite direction on the way back from Mysore. I also saw multiple vehicles stoppoed on the side of the expressway, despite the no stopping signage across the expressway. I definitely noticed this near Indradhanush, might have missed more since I had my eyes on the road.
  4. LAck of streetlights in the night coupled with heavy traffic and trucks taking up all 3 lanes makes driving at night quite strenuous. This takes away all pleasure driving on the road.

Timing legs:
Bangalore to Mysore:
Left home at 11:40 AM, entered the expressway at 12:16PM, reached the Columbia Asia signal (now Manipal Hospital) at 1:29PM.

Mysore to Bangalore:
Entered the expressway at 6:13 PM, exited the expressway in Bangalore at 7:29 PM.

Neat 75 minutes without over-speeding. Cruise control locked in at 100 kmph.

I encountered about a 10 minute traffic jam right at the end of the expressway once we reached Bangalore. I could not understand the cause of the jam as traffic started moving normally after a bit. No traffic jam encountered at the Columbia Asia junction once we reached Mysore.

I don't know how the two-wheeler ban will be enforced. If there is control on ot allowing two-wheelers, autos and trucks and heavy slow vehicles maintain lance discipline and stick to the left two lanes, travel time can be cut down by another 5 minutes, making driving safer and more fun.
onthecusp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 12:31   #568
BHPian

Travelled on Bangalore - Mysore expressway on Friday evening and back on Sunday afternoon. What a mess it is. I don't agree with it being called a expressway.

With all the chaos going on, it can max be called as an state highway.

This is how exactly the Bangalore Mysore highway was when it was built in the early 2000s. I am afraid the expressway is going in the same direction if the authorities don't act on it.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 12:00   #569
Senior - BHPian

https://twitter.com/KeypadGuerilla/s...06311059898368

Toll booth staff member beaten to death.
Quote:
Pawan Kumar Nayak... died of his injuries after he was beaten up by a group of four people after an argument over the delay in taking out the boom barrier.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le66934668.ece
Old 6th June 2023, 12:34   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

The debate about whether this is an expressway or not aside, I'm assuming this new road certainly reduces the driving time between Bangalore and Mysore drastically? And does that hold good even during the dreaded Sunday evening return from Mysore-Bangalore and the Saturday/long weekend exodus from Bangalore-Mysore.

(Thanks for any responses from regular users of the Blr-Mys road route.)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks