Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2023, 11:47   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

You should travel at night as well once , preferably in the rain , the expanse of about 8 lanes width and the fury of our monsoon , it's a very interesting situation.
Night - Yes. Rain- Please avoid at cost.

I did the obviously stupid thing of travelling through this road during night in rain on a long weekend (1 May).

I was expecting the chaos due to long weekend traffic, I was on way to Bangalore from Calicut, hence was contemplating if to take Bannur - Mallavalli - Kanakapura road or come via the so called Expressway.

Decided against taking Kanakapura road since between Kanakapura and Bangalore due to the now stopped road work, it becomes bit tricky to drive in rains and in night with numerous un marked speed brakers.

On hindsight, should have opted for Kanakapura road itself.

Reached near to Colombia asia - Mysore ring road junction around 8.15 PM, it took around 30 mins to cross the last 650 odd meters and get on to highway since the section of ring road was water logged and people were driving weirdly even after they see 2W going ahead of them through the water.

Got on to the highway around 8.45 PM, was soon greeted with a water logged section spanning the entire carriageway, on top of a flyover

Past that, there were multiple instances of water logging of varied depth/ width and length.

If I thought average lane discipline on any regular day on this highway was bad, having water logged lanes made it worse.

On top of this near to Channapatana, one idiot thought it was a good idea to reverse on the left lane since he wanted to take a missed exit. This caused a situation where multiple cars on left lane had to slow down / change lane and ended up holding up the entire traffic. It was pure luck that no one got rear ended since it was already bad situation with rain.

Overall, it took nearly 3 hours end to end to clear this road on that day.

The so called exits are anyway a design marvel in itself.

I been using this road regularly since 1999, first as a passenger in bus and then driving down. Those days the road widening of byepass to cities were just getting completed and the whole road else was 2 lane state highway.

Then came the 4 laning around 2004/ 05 and the major improvement now. Compared to earlier road, this is a major leap now, not just the width & quality of the road, but also with removal of many sharp turns and cities.

However, to call this as an E Way is bit far fetched. It doesn't have any access controlled entry / exits and what all are there looks like an after thought addition. One of those many infrastructure projects in our country, which solves the problems of yesterday but is not having any vision for tomorrow.
mpksuhas is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 12:26   #527
Senior - BHPian

@paragsachania great observations Parag. I too felt mostly the same. Except for saving time, there is nothing to boast about. It's at max just a very good toll road.

Now that the elections are over, the rest of the people also see it the way it is.
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 13:04   #528
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is the new Mys-Blr highway really that dangerous for bikes? Planning a Mys ride once I get back home to Bangalore and planning to use the new highway. Of course if by then 2-wheelers are really banned, will not use the road and stick to the old highway. But from previous posts I gather that bikes are still being allowed through legit entry points and there doesn't seem to be an option to stick to the old route throughout anyway.

Is that still accurate?
I have ridden on the expressway on my bike 4-5 times now and to be frank, I didn't find it to be any more dangerous than the other highways I've traversed. Yes, there are lunatics going illegal speeds and zig-zagging through the lanes. You will have other 2-wheelers, autos and farm vehicles trudging along at low speeds and swerving randomly, cars pulled up on the shoulder to access the food joints, vehicles coming the wrong way, and people and animals crossing on foot at illegal breaks in the fencing. But this is not anything specific to the BLR-MYS expressway. You can find these scenarios on every highway here in India.

If you are comfortable traveling on regular Indian highways on your bike, this expressway is no different nor does it have an abnormally increased danger level as compared to, say, the old highway. Just keep your head level, stay in the left lane as far as possible, stay at a comfortable speed to allow for safe sight ahead and keep an eye on your mirrors for erratic drivers who are racing. Again, these are ground rules for every highway in India, expressway or otherwise.

I last went on the expressway on the last weekend of April and it was still open for bikes. Maybe someone else can update on the present status of whether they're still allowed.
TRR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 13:43   #529
BHPian

Fair to say, infrastructure, except for may be merge/exit lanes, is decent.

Creating the infra is just half the job. How to enforce rules on slower moving traffic, for which people in turn must be educated (license should not be EASY) to get, penalties for violators, how to deal with luddite villagers who break the fence etc. are difficult tasks.

Do we restrict two/three wheelers on freeway just like some other countries do? Three wheelers absolutely I think. Tractors/JCBs??

They should at least put signboards indicating "slower traffic keep LEFT" to begin with, constitute a separate legal entity like BLR-MYSORE highway patrol to enforce lane discipline, penalize halted vehicles on shoulder to bring full benefit of the expressway. Trucks should be prohibited in right most lane for 3-lane stretches.
OffRoadFun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 13:48   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
I last went on the expressway on the last weekend of April and it was still open for bikes.
Don't think its easy to implement that, since the entry / exits are not accessed controlled, one can always get in through an entry and take an exit which is some 10 kms later.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:17   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
I last went on the expressway on the last weekend of April and it was still open for bikes. Maybe someone else can update on the present status of whether they're still allowed.
It is still open for 2-wheelers, as on 13th of May. I did a breakfast ride to Mysore.
LeoChakraborthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:36   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

As long as they do not make the various intermediate exits/entry access controlled, this road will not be an expressway. It is at max an highway.

I drove on the expressway a month ago. I was appalled by the lack of discipline of car drivers and the guts of two wheelers to drive in middle lane and in a few instances even the right lane. Honestly, the highway does not meet the hype and expectations created, atleast for me.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:53   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
As long as they do not make the various intermediate exits/entry access controlled, this road will not be an expressway. It is at max an highway.
True. We see a lot of four wheelers, truckers using this trick as well. They travel in service road and enter the expressway/highway continue the journey and exit once again before the toll booth.

The honest toll payers are fools here. Also the toll being collected is only for the road between Kumbalagodu to Nidaghatta and from there to Mysore there would be another toll. Wondering what will happen when the other toll collection starts!

I feel collecting Rs 135 for someone who want to go from Bangalore to Ramanagar is really unfair.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:25   #534
BHPian

Perfectly timed thread OP. I am driving down to Ooty on Friday. I generally take Kanakpura road but was looking to take the "Expressway" this however suggestions would be appreciated. My last experience on this road last Sep was horrible when it was half built and driving on the parts that had opened was like playing Road rash.

Also what's the situation with food options on this road without having to eat while parked on the shoulder of the road? Any recommendations.
Old 17th May 2023, 16:30   #535
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Also what's the situation with food options on this road without having to eat while parked on the shoulder of the road? Any recommendations.
With an early start from Bangalore, I would suggest you stop for breakfast in Mysore, that way you will optimise your drive on the expressway without needing to exit and re-enter.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 18:43   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Set your Google maps to take you to Shivalli Restaurant just after Channapatna. Although not exactly "on" the expressway, reaching it without too much of a detour is fairly simple. Note that the same Shivalli has 2 branches on either side of the expressway. You can pick the one that's in your direction of travel. Getting into Mysore for meals will cost you extra time - that you can save by visiting here.

However, since you are going to Ooty, this stop at Shivalli will come at a rather early stage for you (may be at the 20-25% mark of your entire trip) and you may have to bear it out without any food for the rest of the trip. If you dont want this, stop at Mysore, Nanjangudu or somewhere on the highway like Gundulupete (which will be at the 55-65% mark of your journey) but your options for clean places will come down drastically once you pass Mysore. OK for a bunch of guys doing a "boys' road trip"; not very advisable if traveling with family.

Last edited by vsathyap : 17th May 2023 at 18:45.
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 21:01   #537
BHPian

Folks, hope everyone's well.

I will be in Bangalore soon and will be driving around quite a bit - for the first time since 2015. Here are my queries for my first outstation trip -

1. How is the road condition from Bangalore to Bandipur (via Mysore)? Is the new expressway worth it? Suggested route? Toll rates? Does Fastag work throughout?

2. Do I take the Mysore ORR or via-the-city since I will be driving onwards to Gundlupet?

3. Any suggested food options between Mysore - Bandipur? We are a group of hardcore carnivores!

4. What is the traffic interceptor situation? I remember that the old Bangalore - Mysore road was heaven for the men in Taveras/Innovas. What is the situation now? Any needless pull-overs?

5. I will be driving a self-drive vehicle. Anything in particular I should keep in mind? It will be KA registered - that I am making certain of.

6. Any other tips/advice - please feel free.

Cheers!

Last edited by barcalad : 17th May 2023 at 21:07.
Old 18th May 2023, 07:22   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
1. How is the road condition from Bangalore to Bandipur (via Mysore)? Is the new expressway worth it? Suggested route? Toll rates? Does Fastag work throughout?
Road condition is good throughout, apart from the weekend peak time madness discussed in this thread. Bangalore - Mysore highway - Mysore ring road - Nanjangaud - Gundlupet - Bandipur.
There are few speed brakers and barricades which have come up in past year or so between Mysore and Gundlupet, those are easily noticiable, but just keep an eye for that.

You will come across 3 toll booths, 2 on Mysore highway and one past Mysore town. The second one in that is not operational while on way to Mysore. Fastag accepted in all.

Quote:
2. Do I take the Mysore ORR or via-the-city since I will be driving onwards to Gundlupet?
Depends on time of the day, if you are reaching Mysore ~ 07.00AM or so, going via city is easier. Else would suggest sticking to ring road.

Quote:
3. Any suggested food options between Mysore - Bandipur? We are a group of hardcore carnivores!
Past Mysore, absolutely none. Even for basic breakfast stop, only one restaurant at Nanjangaud can be worth considering. Location

Quote:
4. What is the traffic interceptor situation? I remember that the old Bangalore - Mysore road was heaven for the men in Taveras/Innovas. What is the situation now? Any needless pull-overs?
None as of now, though sometimes, on the outskirts of Gundlupet town they keep a track of vehicles coming from Bandipur side (just before entering town on return journey)

Quote:
5. I will be driving a self-drive vehicle. Anything in particular I should keep in mind? It will be KA registered - that I am making certain of.
None, since you will not be exiting KA. However, do note that just past Bandipur is TN border.

Quote:
6. Any other tips/advice - please feel free.
You would be getting updated information on this route from the Bangalore - Ooty thread (Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries)
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:19   #539
BHPian

Totally agree with Parag's post on shortcomings. The road quality is pretty good but the lane indiscipline takes the joy out of driving on this road. Blr- Chennai, Blr-Tirupati routes have relatively better road discipline but was surprised on seeing some pretty bad driving on the Mys expressway. One good thing i felt the service roads have been laid quite well and of good quality as well.
Old 18th May 2023, 13:00   #540
BHPian

Travelled to and fro in 5 days. Surface is smooth and drive is good with sweeping curves all over. Loved driving my 530. Day time driving was very good.

In nights, one thing I felt was how the highway is tightly boxed on either side. There are entry/exits which are not very visible at night.

One other thing is unlike other highways, there is no place to pull over and rest if you want to. There is no space beyond the 3 lanes like shoulder or rest areas. They could have acquired more land but then the service lanes need to start right next to the highway without any space in between other than drains. Looks constricting at nights.

Nothing different in terms of drivers or any dangers different from other roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks