Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2023, 12:49   #436
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Took the highway on Sunday to Shivanasamudra, and the experience was totally scary. Was scared to drive on a highway for the first time in 25 years.
Cars zipping past at 100+ KMPH from the left, slow vehicles driving in the extreme right lane, Bikes, and cars coming from the opposite direction on the wrong slide. Eccos driving/overtaking at 100+.
I don't understand how people drive without regard for their and others' safety.

Doesn't matter how safe or defensively you drive, a small lapse in concentration can be bad given how badly others drive. No wonder there are reports of a lot of accidents already.
AdityaLN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:30   #437
BHPian

All said and done the expressway is truly a blessing compared to the earlier road. Left C V Raman Nagar at 5:30 this morning and it took me an hour to reach the NICE junction. Post that it took 55 mins to reach Columbia Asia doing a steady 100-110.

My driving style is to minimise accelerating and braking so plan my overtakes well in advance, stick to the middle lane, keep looking in the RVM to let those who want to go faster pass without hindrance even if it means slowing down.

This morning's drive was truly the most stress free I have had in a long time.
keroo1099 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:14   #438
BHPian

We drove the expressway couple of weeks back and what surprised me was that 2 wheelers on the road ? Has the government permitted 2 wheelers on the Mysore expressway ?
Also, there were a lot of wrong side drivers on the road , very very risky for a high speed expressway.
Old 19th April 2023, 13:52   #439
BHPian

This is something I forgot to mention earlier.

Earlier this month while coming back from Mysore, the road naturally went through Mandya and I realized we are on the old road when we hit Mandya main road. I noticed a large number of other cars too ended up taking the road instead of the Bypass.

Is this something we missed or was it (is it still?) closed? If it is easy to miss, please can someone post where exactly to catch the bypass? After Srirangapatna, somewhere the road merges with the old road and perhaps that is the cause of this confusion.

Appreciate the guidance and perhaps will help other folks here too.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 19th April 2023 at 13:54.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 15:31   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Earlier this month while coming back from Mysore, the road naturally went through Mandya and I realized we are on the old road when we hit Mandya main road.
Either the Mandya Bypass was closed or you followed a bunch of cars off the BMIC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/starofm...s-for-traffic/
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 17:45   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Either the Mandya Bypass was closed or you followed a bunch of cars off the BMIC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/starofm...s-for-traffic/
One of those days it was closed from Mysore-Bangalore direction, you had to rejoin E-way from near Amaravathi Hotel.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 22:43   #442
BHPian

Took the express way today while driving from bangalore to Kerala. Entered right after NICE mysore road exit and exit at mysore manipal signal. No diversions anywhere. Very low traffic throughout and was cruising at 100kmph 95% of the time. Took me 70mins or so to cover the streatch.
ak10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 11:53   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
what surprised me was that 2 wheelers on the road ? Has the government permitted 2 wheelers on the Mysore expressway ?.
Officially it is not permitted. But it is almost impossible to restrict two wheelers on this road.

And by the way, where else will they go.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 17:43   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Officially it is not permitted. But it is almost impossible to restrict two wheelers on this road.

And by the way, where else will they go.
What I observed that the Mysore EW has a well laid service road almost throughout the stretch, why not stick to that ? The MPEW is also out of bounds for 2 wheelers and apart from a couple of outliers stays mostly free of 2 wheelers. This is not an elitiest response but this rule is for the safety of the 2 wheelers only due to the high speeds of other vehicles.
If the authorities want to, they can very well enforce this law, god knows what stops them !

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 20th April 2023 at 17:44.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:24   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I observed that the Mysore EW has a well laid service road almost throughout the stretch, why not stick to that ?
This is not true. The service road breaks at all the railway over bridges and river bridges. It is not like you can go on the service road just beside the main carriageway throughout till Mysore. Wherever there is no connection, you got to go towards the old highway and come across.

Most of the accidents that has happened on this road is caused by cars and others by themselves. It is only a few if at all, that must have caused due to a two wheeler passing by. Restricting two wheeler is not a fair thing, especially when it was there earlier and now completely stopping it.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 22:35   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the authorities want to, they can very well enforce this law, god knows what stops them !
There is no sign board indicating that 2 wheelers are not allowed on the expressway, at least from the Mysuru end. And I frequent that area on my bicycle, thus my comment.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 09:54   #447

I am planning a drive from Chennai to Mysore to Coorg, over the weekend. I have a lot of confusion about how to enter the Bangalore - Mysore expressway while coming from Chennai and what routes to take to Coorg from Bangalore. Any pointers from the regular commuters?
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:19   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik1996 View Post
I am planning a drive from Chennai to Mysore to Coorg, over the weekend. I have a lot of confusion about how to enter the Bangalore - Mysore expressway while coming from Chennai and what routes to take to Coorg from Bangalore. Any pointers from the regular commuters?
Get into Bangalore like you usually would (via Attibele), avoid the EC flyover, get into NICE road, get out at Mysore road exit, which gets you onto the BNG MYQ EW.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:28   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik1996 View Post
I am planning a drive from Chennai to Mysore to Coorg, over the weekend. I have a lot of confusion about how to enter the Bangalore - Mysore expressway while coming from Chennai and what routes to take to Coorg from Bangalore.
As you approach Bangalore from Attibele, watch out for the descend ramp of the BETL on the opposite carriageway. Immediately after the point where this ramp touches ground, you will see a toll booth complex to the left, away from the carriageway you are on. Skip that (it is entry toll for BETL) and continue along the surface level NH 44 / Hosur Road. Beyond the toll complex at the first signal, exit NH 44 onto the service road in the same direction. NICE entry ramp is a little ahead on this service road (maybe 50m).

Once you are on NICE road - pass through the toll booth. Mysore Road (BMEW) exit is the 4th one and is well-signposted. There is white-topping work going on along the NICE stretch here so you might end up in some heavy traffic.

As soon as you exit NICE road onto Mysore Road, the BMEW entry ramp is immediately in front of you. Take it for the 117-km long expressway ride.

At Mysore, when the expressway ends with its junction with the MRR (Mysore Ring Road) in front of Manipal Hospital, turn right onto the anticlockwise MRR. Go approximately a quarter of a circle to exit onto Hunsur Road. This is the main road leading to various locations in Coorg from Mysore.

Depending on where you want to go in Coorg, you will turn off this road at various junctions beyond Hunsur. For Madikeri you will go Hunsur-Kushalnagara-Madikeri, for example.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 13:32   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As you approach Bangalore from Attibele, watch out for the descend ramp of the BETL on the opposite carriageway. Immediately after the point where this ramp touches ground, you will see a toll booth complex to the left, away from the carriageway you are on. Skip that (it is entry toll for BETL) and continue along the surface level NH 44 / Hosur Road. Beyond the toll complex at the first signal, exit NH 44 onto the service road in the same direction. NICE entry ramp is a little ahead on this service road (maybe 50m).
Be on the right most lane to skip the BETL toll and remain on NH44. Within the next 100m, be on the left most lane to enter service road to NICE entry ramp. These two are the only tricky instructions to follow. Rest can be left to Google maps.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks