Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 22:02   #421
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

Took this road again and reached Manipal signal seemingly chocked with all the traffic. The activas and accesses on this road are a pain. A lot of folks still don't understand lane manners. Good to see the exits marked and speed limit called out.

The pain of driving through nice road is real now, with all the work being carried out and the initial stretches converted to single lane or 1.5 lanes. ( entry from Ecity and exit at Mysore Road).
drive.helios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:07   #422
BHPian

Seems the accident count and fatalities continue to mount on the expressway. As of mid-March someone mentioned that 330+ accidents had occurred and 80+ fatalities. Witnessed the aftermath of a car-scooter accident at around Pandavapura entry today. Looks like we had reached the place of incident within 5-10 mins of the accident and the road had been blocked with stones, with the scooter rider fallen limp on the road still with no ambulance yet( not sure if the accident was fatal or not ) and agitated locals didn't let other vehicles pass for a while even though there was a service road next to the place of accident. Eventually vehicles started moving out via the service road.

Not sure what actions NHAI is going to take to reduce/prevent accidents on this e-way. Whatever the measures are, it has to include education of both the locals and speedmeister tourists on road-safety. And hopefully also the restrictions on vulnerable vehicles from using the expressway is imposed as originally stated. And steep fines for over-speeding, mobile usage, picture-takers and jay-parkers.

Last edited by airguitar : 3rd April 2023 at 21:10.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:31   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Not sure what actions NHAI is going to take to reduce/prevent accidents on this e-way. Whatever the measures are, it has to include education of both the locals and speedmeister tourists on road-safety.
As usual speed breakers will be installed at all entry and exit points, we also have a previous example of traffic signals on Richmond Flyover, the cheapest and easiest solution will be implemented.
Old 4th April 2023, 11:24   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
As usual speed breakers will be installed at all entry and exit points, we also have a previous example of traffic signals on Richmond Flyover, the cheapest and easiest solution will be implemented.
Problem with this incomplete expressway is that there are 100s of entry and exit points, which is supposed to be access control expressway. Even where its barricaded, many places its broken, service road is absent in many places so they have to allow two wheelers.

NHAI has built 1000s of kms of expressway in UP and other states where villagers can be more rowdy and its run professionally without any issue there, its really shame that they could not barricade entire 120kms and make it real access controlled highway.

Hope at least in next 6 month, it will be full barricaded access control with no two/three wheelers and tractors not allowed in the road as originally stated.
shamanth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:55   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Problem with this incomplete expressway is that there are 100s of entry and exit points, which is supposed to be access control expressway. Even where its barricaded, many places its broken, service road is absent in many places so they have to allow two wheelers.
I too understand the situation, as long as there was no toll, everything was fine, but now people are demanding because of toll collection. So NHAI should finish everything and then ask money from commuters.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 08:51   #426

Today Bangalore-Mysore express way would have tested every traveler's patience, after getting in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 + minutes near nice road junction near kengeri(due to haphazard parking for the few restaurants at panchamuki ganesha) express way users would have been frustrated to see 15 to 20 vehicles in each toll booth (they would have spent at-least 15 minutes to pay the toll), the service road was empty though. This looks to the long weekend effect, next week too expect similar scenario due to another long weekend. No infrastrutcure upgradation will compensate for lack of common civic sense
naveen4477 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 16:06   #427
BHPian

Took my CITY for her first spin to MYS expressway on 7th Apr. Right from 6 AM, there was congestion at NICE rd junction as per google maps. It was the same even at 11 AM there when I reached. Long weekend to be blamed. For sure this road scared me out as a driver for the reasons below:
1. I'm a defensive driver. I respect lane discipline and speed limits. But there was NONE on this expressway.
2. People with unsafe cars speed at 120 kmph+ speed criss crossing the lanes without notice
3. Slow moving cars at 70 mph on the right most lane.
4. Too many crossings at many places and people don't slow down at all.
5. I'll post some of my Dashcam pics of speeding vehicles. I'm sure many people would have experienced it
6. Cars were driven as if this was a race track and its. place to show their skills
7. While coming back, I took the Kanakapura Road and It felt so blissful to drive at 70+ in a 2 lane highway rather on this 6 lane expressway.
On this expressway, we urgently need speed guns, we need clear road markings, access control implemented and more important more common sense.
Venkatr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:59   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen4477 View Post
Today Bangalore-Mysore express way would have tested every traveler's patience, after getting in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 + minutes near nice road junction near kengeri
Sad to hear, what is the point of a new highway if the old choke points still remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatr View Post
While coming back, I took the Kanakapura Road and It felt so blissful to drive at 70+ in a 2 lane highway rather on this 6 lane expressway.
Is this route seeing less traffic these days because the new expressway is open now?
Old 12th April 2023, 10:16   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatr View Post
Took my CITY for her first spin to MYS expressway on 7th Apr. Right from 6 AM, there was congestion at NICE rd junction as per google maps. It was the same even at 11 AM there when I reached. Long weekend to be blamed. For sure this road scared me out as a driver for the reasons below:
1. I'm a defensive driver. I respect lane discipline and speed limits. But there was NONE on this expressway.
2. People with unsafe cars speed at 120 kmph+ speed criss crossing the lanes without notice
3. Slow moving cars at 70 mph on the right most lane.
4. Too many crossings at many places and people don't slow down at all.
5. I'll post some of my Dashcam pics of speeding vehicles. I'm sure many people would have experienced it
6. Cars were driven as if this was a race track and its. place to show their skills
7. While coming back, I took the Kanakapura Road and It felt so blissful to drive at 70+ in a 2 lane highway rather on this 6 lane expressway.
On this expressway, we urgently need speed guns, we need clear road markings, access control implemented and more important more common sense.
Totally agree with all the above points. I guess before building good roads we need to get driving discipline into peoples head first.
puntra800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 11:05   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
its really shame that they could not barricade entire 120kms and make it real access controlled highway.
This is not a parallel road to the existing road. The existing 4 lane is extended to 6 lane, with few bypasses added. So the entire stretch cannot be barricaded without exits. But need proper exits to towns on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen4477 View Post
Today Bangalore-Mysore express way would have tested every traveler's patience, after getting in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 + minutes near nice road junction near kenger
It could be due to the election checkpoints on the way. Last Friday, getting out of Mysore Road NICE toll and onto Mysore Road took 30 minutes, because the checkpoint is right near the left turn.

Last edited by msdivy : 12th April 2023 at 11:08.
Old 12th April 2023, 12:14   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is this route seeing less traffic these days because the new expressway is open now?
Yes, this is a possibility. On Sunday 04/09, I could see less traffic. But regular users of this route can confirm
Venkatr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 13:37   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This is not a parallel road to the existing road. The existing 4 lane is extended to 6 lane, with few bypasses added. So the entire stretch cannot be barricaded without exits.
Yes, I am not talking about blocking legal exit and entry to towns. They need to fix the broken barricades where Lorries and vehicles are entering from service road after putting mud on the drainage seperating the expressway and service road, and mostly after breaking the Barricade.
Old 12th April 2023, 13:52   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
Totally agree with all the above points. I guess before building good roads we need to get driving discipline into peoples head first.
Driving discipline aside, the tendency to race against any fast vehicle is another psychological issue I am unable to comprehend. This more so on the new Mysore road given multiple straight stretches.

Heads-Up: Rest of the post slightly off-topic and more about driving behaviour on this road I recently encountered.

Last week (Tue-04/04) while returning from Kukke, we decided to take this route to avoid the Tumkur road mess. All was well and even the Manipal junction at Mysore ring road was peaceful. I was driving rather fast sticking to my lane as we were in a bit of hurry due to some commitment at home. We were in my Endeavour. Halfway through I see a Brand New Fortuner trying to chase me but unable to pass through due to traffic in other lanes. I normally avoid anyone trying to race as it only leads to risky behaviour and unnecessary anxiety. I moved to left and let it pass and then continued in my own speed. In a while I see him again behind a pile of traffic. Just because I could pass, the racing started again. In a while a BMW X7 joined the melee. I did not have an option to slow down due to our need to reach home and nor were these two understanding that I am not at all keen to race with them. I can drive quite well on highway and manage some speed without demonstrating indiscipline or zig-zag lane switching. However, that would not go down well with those who are hell bent on racing and assume that "One" is racing against them. I could see them trying to chase me as if it was a matter of prestige for them. To avoid any risk of potential accident, I decided to stop at a coffee joint for 10 mins to let them pass. They continued racing against each other and moved on. We restarted our journey and in another 20 mins, I find them again in front of me. Fortunately I could slip on to the NICE road by then.

It just beats me why people want to behave this way on highway and not respect someone else's urgency or need to go. I travel a lot in Europe and I see anyone in the fast lane quickly giving way to any car behind signaling need to pass with no such behaviour. Once recently I recall I had left something behind at the Hotel and had reached the Airport in Milan some 50 kms away with barely 1.5 hours to flight departure. I realized while unloading the luggage. My driver in an Audi A8 Station Wagon drove at breakneck speed (~160-180 kms) to take me to Hotel and back to Airport. On the way every car he flashed on the fast lane gave way with decency. That was an eye opener and we made it in time for me to check-in for the flight.

This unnecessary compelling desire to compete is never seen. It is almost like our folks in India feel insulted if someone overtakes them on the highway.

I so wish we have our folks following some decency on the roads. At times I even see puny cars wanting to race just because it gives them a kick not realizing their cars may not be capable.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 12th April 2023 at 14:21.
nareshtrao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 20:43   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I counted 5 diversions on that day - enumerating them from the Bangalore end:

1. Between Maddur and Mandya (Halebudanur).
2. Far end of Mandya, as soon as the bypass ends (Induvalu).
3. Between Mandya and Srirangapatna, at the junction where the road to Pandavapura originates (Ragimuddanahalli).
4. Near end of Srirangapatna bypass.
5. From far end of Srirangapatna bypass, almost all the way till Columbia Asia junction.
Took the BMEW again today from Mysore to Bangalore. All the above are completed. #3 (Pandavapura exit underpass) still has pending painting/landscaping work, but in all cases carriageway is complete and lane markings/signboards are in place.

Also all town exits are marked correctly. Exit/merge lanes are demarcated using bollards (which I'm not sure is the right thing to do).

I guess the second toll going operational is not too far off, now.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:58   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
This unnecessary compelling desire to compete is never seen. It is almost like our folks in India feel insulted if someone overtakes them on the highway.
Fully agree with you, here in India lot of people behave like insulted if anyone overtake. Especially Bigcars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Rarely seen anyone driving in sane speed in highways.

Yield is one thing which is never followed or not even known in India. Sadistically blocking someone, or Come very aggressively to change lane in-front of you with few cms away is very common.
shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks