Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 11:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I dont think we'll ever see roads like that in this sector ever again. Atleast, not during monsoons!!
Yes, i agree.

Quote:

OT: Abhi, u do seem to make a lot of trips to M'lore for a Bong .. like the scenary there?
I was thinking of the same
Old 10th July 2007, 11:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Abhi, u do seem to make a lot of trips to M'lore for a Bong .. like the scenary there?
No yaar !! No BONG Connection here !! It just happens when u plan anything towards North or Coastal karnataka. it is sucha important highway. Attending a marriage, Kundapur trip, Mangalore/Ullal trip etc just happened to be through that road...

In addition it is my favourite too as it has lots of scenic beauty...

Abhi
Old 12th July 2007, 09:34   #33
BHPian

Samurai,
Thanks for this thread!

I am planning a shift from Chennai to Mangalore this September. Been in Chennai for 5 years - now looking to enjoy the more unspoilt environs of the western coast and make it a part of my life. Needless to say your thread dampened my spirits a bit :( Hope they improve the condition of roads soon because I am already looking forward to those weekend getaways out of Mangalore.

By the way, I have been a passive member of Team BHP. Have just one thread to my credit, but have been an avid reader nevertheless. Have learned a lot from you and Abhi and the like about driving options in Karnataka - thanks a lot to all of you!
Old 12th July 2007, 13:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a shift from Chennai to Mangalore this September.
No offense meant here mate, but then you choose the right time to shift.
Mangalore roads will be BLISS with pot-holes during this time .
Old 12th July 2007, 15:29   #35
BHPian

Thanks buddy. I am getting mentally prepared now
Old 12th July 2007, 17:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Samurai,
Thanks for this thread!

I am planning a shift from Chennai to Mangalore this September. Been in Chennai for 5 years - now looking to enjoy the more unspoilt environs of the western coast and make it a part of my life. Needless to say your thread dampened my spirits a bit :( Hope they improve the condition of roads soon because I am already looking forward to those weekend getaways out of Mangalore.

By the way, I have been a passive member of Team BHP. Have just one thread to my credit, but have been an avid reader nevertheless. Have learned a lot from you and Abhi and the like about driving options in Karnataka - thanks a lot to all of you!
Lucky you, am hoping that some day i can move back to mangalore tired of hectic city life hehe

About the roads, guess that will encourage you to go a tuff suv (Gurkha, etc)

good luck
Old 7th August 2007, 13:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Last 1 week rain made roads in coastal karnataka from bad roads to no roads. Every road is affected including National highways.

NH17 between karwar and bhatkal are in bad state and expect same thing on other strethes in kundapura, udupi, mangalore area of NH17.

Road between Shimoga -> Sagar -> Honnavar facing road block for many hours because of tree falling, bridge sub merging because of rain.

Same case with Hubli and Ankola highway, Kumta - Sirsi road.

In coastal districts everywhere water schools are closed.

Today water is released from Linganamakki damm so expect Jag will be in its full glory. Areas after Jog falls being vacated for flood threat, I have few farmer relatives over there, they are worried too much If it rains for next 2 days thats it they need to vacate. If NH17 was in good condition I was planning to drive between mangalore and karwar because it would give wonderfull experience in rains these strethes.

Guys be carefull and avoid if possible If you plan to travel this week these areas. Few places here are in dark without electricity from last 5 days.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 7th August 2007 at 13:40.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ravi,

Yae its been raining hard in the coast, had to go to Mangalore but have dropped the idea of going in my car.

Wish i had Gurkha
Old 2nd September 2007, 16:10   #39

NH17 - latest road conditions

Hi, am planning a 10-12 day drive from Pune to Bangalore via Ganapatipule - goa - karwar - Gokarna - Maravanthe - Murudeshwar - kudremukh?? (the last if doable) or somewhere else in the hills as one cuts across the ghats to reach interior K'nataka...would love any latest info on road conditions and route recco's based on recent trips...its a Santro (old fella with 92 K under the hood) and accompanied by the wife and 11- n 7- yr old kiddos (so dont recommend any wild, bike only, routes pliz )...also will appreciate any quick recco on the best Pune-G'pule route pls - have 2 routes in mind : Pune - Umbraj - Chiplun - h'kamba - gpule...and Pune - Mahad - chiplun - h'kamba - g'pule ...which's likely to be in better shape pls? tks
Old 3rd September 2007, 21:38   #40
BHPian

nh17 is bad at least between honavar and mangalore. check out my travelog at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mangalore.html
Old 10th September 2007, 09:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

coastal rds in pathetic condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulein View Post
Hi, am planning a 10-12 day drive from Pune to Bangalore via Ganapatipule - goa - karwar - Gokarna - Maravanthe - Murudeshwar - kudremukh?? (the last if doable) or somewhere else in the hills as one cuts across the ghats to reach interior K'nataka...would love any latest info on road conditions and route recco's based on recent trips...its a Santro (old fella with 92 K under the hood) and accompanied by the wife and 11- n 7- yr old kiddos (so dont recommend any wild, bike only, routes pliz )...also will appreciate any quick recco on the best Pune-G'pule route pls - have 2 routes in mind : Pune - Umbraj - Chiplun - h'kamba - gpule...and Pune - Mahad - chiplun - h'kamba - g'pule ...which's likely to be in better shape pls? tks
I recently drove on the goa karwar honnavar route from goa to blore. the condition of the rds in Goa South of Madgaon are terrible and ditto for the ankola honnavar rds. there has been incessant rain over the last few weeks in coastal karnataka and goa and these rds SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:23   #42

Thanks Magiceye n Goandude, we seem to be the only 3 earthlings from the team-bhp fraternity to have recently experienced!! ooops, suffered these martian roads!! am now in the JLR Om beach resort in Gokarana and loath to proceed on the next leg of my journey to head southeastwards to Bengalooru not the least becos of the li'l idyll i've found here but most importantly becos i'm wary of subjecting my 92 k n 9 yr old suspension-challenged Santro to the roads ahead!! well ...but I must journey ahed tomorrow - any qwik suggestions anyone on the best dash across the ghats to the good roads of NH4? from Gokarna?? thanks n cheers and please avoid NH17 for another month or more at all costs!! tis not pleasant!! believe me!!
Old 16th September 2007, 11:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Shulein, how did you eventually route your trip? and how was the experience? I did the journey thru honnavar, sirsi and joined hn4 at haveri. the craters nearly killed my car.
Old 16th September 2007, 12:10   #44
BHPian

ooops! sory! just came across this thread..
the road between honnavar n bhatkal doesnt exist anymore.. its just a path that looks like the replica of the moons surface.. u can damage ur car pretty badly there.. i took that route to jog falls last week.. saw a lotta small cars getting grounded.. my bullet got damaged pretty bad too.. the 7" front hub had to be replaced cause of that strech..*sigh*
roads between bahtkal n maravante are somewhat ok but have huge pot holes here n there.. so goin over 50kmph is kinda risky.. especially if its raining..
nh17 is pretty much thrashed to say the least!
Old 24th September 2007, 11:30   #45

Hi Goandude,
I pretty much did the same thing - drove from Gokarna to Haveri via Sirsi and joined NH4 - which while better than NH17 overall - still had enough bad stretches up to c'durga to make my kids mock me saying ``thot we were getting to the super smooth NH4!'' ..they were basically miffed that I'd aborted the last leg of the drive thro maravanthe and then across the ghats via K'mukh and ended up shortening the holiday by abt 2 days citing the bad condition of NH17...anyways my poor beat up ole Santro held up manfully and only on reaching B'lore did a bent rim give me a flat (I use tubeless radials which are great for regular punctures but cant handle a bent rim and leak air thro the sidewall)...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks