Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 11:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kolkata to Hyderabad in a Baleno

Starting my journey next Friday i.e 10th of August in my Baleno with wifey as a navigator..

Plan is as follows-

Start very early in the morning on 10th, preferably at 4 am and reach Vizag via Bhubaneshwar by 4-5 pm in the evening (dont know whether that is ok or over optimistic). Stay at a hotel for the night.
Start from Vizag early morning on 11th and reach Hyderabad by afternoon.
Stay at Hyderabad till 18th and then start the return journey.
Last night jotted down the route from Eicher travelling guide.
I have done a thorough servicing of my car this Sunday and final preparations are on.
Will keep on posting pics throughout the journey.
Please wish me luck for the journey..
Old 7th August 2007, 11:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Day 1 sounds a bit tight, but if you are a fast driver you can definitely do it.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

All the best Sumitro. Wish I could join you guys as a standby driver.
@ hvkumar - He drives like a man possessed
Old 7th August 2007, 11:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Day 1 sounds a bit tight, but if you are a fast driver you can definitely do it.
yup, day1 seems tight.. actually I based my calculation depending on my last journey to Bhubaneshwar in April in a friend's esteem. It took us roughly 6.5 hours from Kol to Bhubaneshwar with lot of halts and not exceeding 100 kmph due to steering problems. So I thought that I could cut it down to 5.5 to 6 hours easily in my car with a single halt for breakfast. And I have heard that the roads are really good from Bhubaneshwar to Vizag barring a few stretches at the border. Anyway, wont be driving too fast as this is a holiday trip and we have ample amount of time to change the plans as and when required. Lets hope for the best..
Old 7th August 2007, 11:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
All the best Sumitro. Wish I could join you guys as a standby driver.
@ hvkumar - He drives like a man possessed
Thanks Shuvd... why dont you come along with your Silver Bullet. But then you will have to keep slowing down every now and then to keep pace with the BlackPearl...

@hvkumar - dont beleive a thing Shuvd says about my driving. I am a very sensible driver with loads of experience
Old 7th August 2007, 11:36   #6
BHPian

All the best Sumitro!! Hope you have a great time... make sure to keep a detailed log and we expect a loooong travelogue on your return.

As Rudra Da would put it - Dugga Dugga!!

Quote:
He he he!! What say guys, is Sumitro a fast driver?
Old 7th August 2007, 11:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

What is the total distance? Calcutta - Hyderabad - Calcutta? @ 8-9 kpl, and petrol @ Rs. 50 average, you do the maths.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Once you cross into AP, roads are fantastic. I also heard that Orissa sections are also complete. If you have done Bhubaneswar in that short a time, you could look for a drive of approximately 7 hours to reach Vizag from Bhubaneswar. You can try staying at APTDC's Punnami Rishikonda which is a great location overlooking the Rishikonda Beach. In case you want to try taht, you can even turn off NH5 at Tagarapuvalasa, around 18 kms before Vizag and take the beautiful Beach road via Bhimunipatnam directly to Rishikonda Beach (which is around 10 kms before Vizag).
Old 7th August 2007, 11:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Once you cross into AP, roads are fantastic. I also heard that Orissa sections are also complete. If you have done Bhubaneswar in that short a time, you could look for a drive of approximately 7 hours to reach Vizag from Bhubaneswar. You can try staying at APTDC's Punnami Rishikonda which is a great location overlooking the Rishikonda Beach. In case you want to try taht, you can even turn off NH5 at Tagarapuvalasa, around 18 kms before Vizag and take the beautiful Beach road via Bhimunipatnam directly to Rishikonda Beach (which is around 10 kms before Vizag).
@hvkumar - thanks a lot for the suggestion. Do we need to book it before hand or we can walk in there?

@shuvd - the distance is around 1550 to 1600 Km. So cost for siver bullet one way will be (1600/8) * 50 = 10K maximum. But if you drive like that then no point in going with you I have heard that if driven properly the 1.8 Tpi returns more than 12Kmpl on highways !!!
Old 7th August 2007, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

all the best Mr. "Aerodynamic Polished Head" drive safe buddy! and enjoy the drive.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

@hvkumar - while going through the maps last night I had one confusuion. From Rajahmundry there are two ways to go till Eluru Canal (as per the Eicher Map), one through NH5 and another through state highway. The one through NH5 is around 103 Km and 50 Kms more than the other option. Can you please suggest which one to take?
Old 7th August 2007, 11:53   #12
BHPian

All the best sumitroda, wish you a very happy & safe journey.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@hvkumar - thanks a lot for the suggestion. Do we need to book it before hand or we can walk in there?

!!!
No idea about the availability, but they seem to have lots of room. There is one more APTDC down the road at Vizag also. Plus lots of private hotels. Don't do any bookings, walk in, if you don't get room, keep going to another hotel.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
all the best Mr. "Aerodynamic Polished Head" drive safe buddy! and enjoy the drive.
Thanks Planet. Hope to give a last touch of aerodynamism on Thursday night before the journey commences
Old 7th August 2007, 11:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey shomitro, have a nice time driving and also safe driving.

Wellcome to hyderabad in advance.

Well planning for a good mini meet here in Hyderabad, keep an eye on the hyderabad mini meet thread.

all the best.
raj.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks