Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 12:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
My friend is driving from Vashi, Navi Mumbai to Kochi next week. Can anyone suggest the current best route and how much time it takes. He is considering 2 routes

1 - All the way through NH17 via Goa - Mangalore - Calicut
2 - via Pune - Hubli - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Plkd - Ekm

Thanks in advance
Noble.
Option 2 but by not driving the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur and instead going via alternate routes discussed in this thread-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-current-condition-road-kerala-303.html
Old 20th December 2012, 12:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend is driving from Vashi, Navi Mumbai to Kochi next week. Can anyone suggest the current best route and how much time it takes. He is considering 2 routes

1 - All the way through NH17 via Goa - Mangalore - Calicut
2 - via Pune - Hubli - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Plkd - Ekm

Thanks in advance
Noble.
Bombay-Bangalore takes 12-15 hours.
Bangalore-Kochi takes 8-12 hours.

NH17 is much better now, but very slow, especially in South coastal KA and all through North KL.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:49   #33
BHPian

Dear HVK and all,

Though I am not going to do a Mumbai-Cochin trip now, but is planning to do one in the summer holidays , when kids have vacation.

Also planning to take break at Goa and Kollur Mookambika Temple en route. So Nh17 is the natural option.

But while returning, I am planning to come via Bangalore.
I've heard about the Nilambur-Gudallor-Mysore road, rather than going via. Palakkad and Coimbatore.

How is the road condition in that area? and if I opt for that, then how many night halts I need to take before reaching back Mumbai?

I prefer to day drive, 6 am to 6pm only, am the lone driver,normal speed

bbhavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

NH17 is much better now, but very slow, especially in South coastal KA and all through North KL.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Option 2 but by not driving the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur and instead going via alternate routes
Thanks ranjitp1. And yes the road condition of NH47 is horrible from Palakkad till Mannuthi near Thrissur. He is taking Ottapalam Shoranur route instead.

Quote:
Thanks for the time update hvkumar. Will definitely help in the trip time planning

Quote:
One of my friend traveled to GOA from Kochi via NH17 a few months back. He had to stop the car several times for police checking. Hope this sort of difficulties will be less in the Hubli - Bangalore route.
Old 21st December 2012, 05:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan
I've heard about the Nilambur-Gudallor-Mysore road, rather than going via. Palakkad and Coimbatore.

How is the road condition in that area? and if I opt for that, then how many night halts I need to take before reaching back Mumbai?

I prefer to day drive, 6 am to 6pm only, am the lone driver,normal speed
Nilambur route is good.No problems,traffic would be dense in the kerala sector otherwise no problem.No need to go to Bangalore to reach Mumbai.You can do Kochi Thrissur shoranur pattambi perinthalmana pattikad pandikkad wandoor nilambur vazhikadavu nadugani ghats gudalur bandipur gundlupet nanjagud mysore kr nagar holenarsipura hassan belur chikmagalur kadur haveri nh4 hubli pune mumbai.

Day 1: Kochi-Chikmagalur in 12hrs

Day2:Ckm-Mumbai.

Roads are good.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post

If you are going to come via Nilambur-Mysore route, then you can plan a halt at Chitradurga (if taking the Mysore-Huliyar/Bangalore-Chitradurga route) or Chickmagalur (if taking the Mysore-Hassan-Belur route).

Quote:
One of my friend traveled to GOA from Kochi via NH17 a few months back. He had to stop the car several times for police checking. Hope this sort of difficulties will be less in the Hubli - Bangalore route.
No checking on NH4
Old 21st December 2012, 22:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Nilambur route is good.No problems,traffic would be dense in the kerala sector otherwise no problem.No need to go to Bangalore to reach Mumbai.You can do Kochi Thrissur shoranur pattambi perinthalmana pattikad pandikkad wandoor nilambur vazhikadavu nadugani ghats gudalur bandipur gundlupet nanjagud mysore kr nagar holenarsipura hassan belur chikmagalur kadur haveri nh4 hubli pune mumbai.

Thanks ranjitp1,

In that case, I am planning to do night halt at Mysore, because it is a worthy scenic spot.

Roads are good.
[quote=hvkumar;2996113]If you are going to come via Nilambur-Mysore route, then you can plan a halt at Chitradurga (if taking the Mysore-Huliyar/Bangalore-Chitradurga route) or Chickmagalur (if taking the Mysore-Hassan-Belur route).

Thanks hvk,

your expert opinions are indeed helpful. I have still not worked out the plans. Will disturb you again once more clarity comes to the program ,considering the priorities of all family members.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Roads are good.

Thanks ranjitp1,

In that case, I am planning to do night halt at Mysore, because it is a worthy scenic spot.
Old 24th December 2012, 14:11   #39

Fastest route:

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Hubli (excellent road part of completed GQ)

From Hubli take right turn on NH63
Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola (NH63 meets NH17 at Ankola), take left from here
Ankola - Kumta - Honnavar - Bhatkal - Kundapur - Udupi - Mangalore - Kasaragod - Cochin all along the Coastal Highway...

I did this route till Mangalore 2 years ago and except for a small stretch near Bhatkal the road was superb. The scenic beauty is superb. I am told the road beyond Mangalore is also very good.

Have a good drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Thanks sri1951,
You are the first one noting Goa-Manipal is superb.
But what about Manipal-mangalore- Calicut?

Last week I traveled Kochi-Trichur-Kunnamkulam-Calicut- payyannur.
Kochi-Calicut is fairly good, but I started at 4 AM !

This route is ok for early morn and Sundays....well, ALL Kerala roads...
Old 27th December 2012, 00:32   #40
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. My friend reached here at Kochi yesterday. He was very excited in describing me about the journey. I thought of brief it and share with you. Hope this may help for those who are planning their Mumbai – Kochi trip.

He and his friend started their journey from Vashi at 5pm on his 2008 model Ford Fusion plus 1.6 Duratec Petrol. Take Pune – Kolhapur route and headed towards Hubli. Reached there by 12.30am. The road condition was excellent throughout and they can attain a max speed of 170+ with most of the time the speedo was above 120.

Next day morning 5.30 they started from Hubli to Bangalore, planned to take a diversion to the NICE road before reaching the city to bye pass the heavy traffic. But unfortunately they missed the NICE Ring road and reached the Bangalore city. He said they took more than 3 hours to come out of the city. Hubli – Bangalore stretch is also very good and they maintained a speed of 100+ most of the time and achieved a max speed of 140.

While coming from Bangalore to Palakkad they took the Bhavani route and that was not so good now with several potholes and all. And near Avinashi the construction of highway is happening and so the journey was a little hectic till they reached Palakkad.

From Palakkad they took Ottapalam – Shornaur route to reach Thrissur instead of NH47. From Palakkad till Kulappuly the road was wide and smooth but some big turns are there. Kept the speedo at 80-90. From Kulappully till thrissur the road was ok and maintained a speed of 70-80 kms. The Thrissur - Kochi stretch of NH47 is the current best road in Kerala. Finally they reached Kochi by 10pm.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:30   #41
BHPian

Dear Ranjit and HVK Sir,

Its time again to plan for the summer vacation.!!!:

As stated earlier, we are planning to go to Cochin this time by road, and so are checking the old threads about this route.

The route suggested by Ranjit looks good for me as we are having relatives in Gudalur, So a night halt there is imperative.

Now the question of the second halt at night. Is it really needed? Can I reach Mumbai by leaving from Gudallur in the morning?

Hope the roads are in good condition this time.

regards,

bbhavan.

Quote:

Roads are good.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now the question of the second halt at night. Is it really needed? Can I reach Mumbai by leaving from Gudallur in the morning?
I would say drive till Hubli for the day and stay there for the night. Start the next day and reach Bombay.

The route to take should be :

Gudalur-Bandipur-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Hubli.

That is about 600km
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 18:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Ranjit and HVK Sir,

The route suggested by Ranjit looks good for me as we are having relatives in Gudalur, So a night halt there is imperative.

If you are ok with a 15+ hour drive,then its possible else I would suggest that you break journey enroute and then continue onwards to Mumbai.Take the route which Ampere has mentioned,its good with a minor deviation so that you touch the 4 Laned NH4 earlier than Sira and instead touch NH4 at Tumkur.

D1: Kochi-Gudalur
D2:Gudalur-Mysore-Pandavpura-Nagamangala-Bellur Cross-Gubbi-Tumkur-NH4-Hubli-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai.

Gudalur-Mysore:1.5hrs
Mysore-Tumkur:2.5-3hrs
Tumkur-Hubli:5hrs(diversions in place around Chitradurga for 6 laning,hence will slow you down)
Hubli-Belgaum:1.5hrs
BGM-Pune:4hrs-5hrs
Pune Bypass:1-1.5hr
MPEW-Panvel:2hrs

Hubli has good stay options,Belgaum has good stay options,so does Kolhapur.If you must stay,you can target any of these three places from Gudalur.

If you dont want any of these,then opt for the Kochi-Blore-Bom route.D1:Kochi-Blr,D2:Blr-Bom.Straightforward route.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 19:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say drive till Hubli for the day and stay there for the night. Start the next day and reach Bombay.

The route to take should be :

Gudalur-Bandipur-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Hubli.

That is about 600km
Thanks for your suggestion. I am now thinking about touring Mysore and also some other nice tourist places (Any suggestion ? ) while going to Cochin.

Quote:
If you are ok with a 15+ hour drive,then its possible else I would suggest that you break journey enroute and then continue onwards to Mumbai.
If you dont want any of these,then opt for the Kochi-Blore-Bom route.D1:Kochi-Blr,D2:Blr-Bom.Straightforward route.

Thanks Ranjit, for the detailed info.

I have decided to go via Bangalore in one direction and the other via, Gudallur -Mysore. But as the discussions are open now, we are thinking to cover the tourist places also enroute. So we may roam around Mysore for a day while going to Cochin.

Any other important places/temples in the two routes?

regards,

bbhavan.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:37   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I am now thinking about touring Mysore and also some other nice tourist places (Any suggestion ? ) while going to Cochin.
You can do any/all : Chikkamagulur/Belur/Halebidu/Mysore/Kabini. All in the vicinity !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks