Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 14:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Dear friends,

Finally I have worked out some plans for my trip.

As advised by you, my ongoing trip will be via NH4 ie. Pune-Mysore-Gudalur-Cochin. And the return is via Cochin-Bangalore-Mumbai.

But the ongoing trip is planned to have 2 days halt at Mysore. We want to cover some picnic spots and some important places in and around the city. I need to have your suggestions for finalizing the programme.

I like to cover the following spots in and around Mysore. I don't know we will be able to do all these places in a single day.

Pls. see the itinery.

27th April Mumbai-Mysore . Night stay at Srirangapatanam or
Pandavapura.

28th Sunday. Places intend to visit are Ranganthittu bird santuary,
Somnathapura temple, Tipu Sultan Museum, Mysore palace,
Brindavan gardens. And night halt at Mysore.

28th Morning departure to Cochin via Gudalur.

The return journey is not planned in detail. But that will be only around June 1st week, when the schools re open here. But that will be surely non stop drive through Bangalore , with only one night halt.

Pls. offer your views/suggestions to improve my intended plans in Mysore.

Am I missing something?

Or is it non doable in a single day?

28 th being Sunday, are all places open on that day?

We are 4 members with my wife and two kids.

regards,

bbhavan.
Old 7th April 2013, 15:29   #47
BHPian

Hi guys,
I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Kochi sometime this month, and the idea is to get there in 2 days while enjoying a scenic route partly and good highways for the other part.

I was thinking of taking the Mumbai-Goa route, but I thought I'd ask for your suggestions.
Old 7th April 2013, 18:49   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Kochi sometime this month, and the idea is to get there in 2 days while enjoying a scenic route partly and good highways for the other part.

I was thinking of taking the Mumbai-Goa route, but I thought I'd ask for your suggestions.
I am not sure of the scenic route but this the route from Pune to Kochi with the best roads. Note the diversion from Palakkad to Thrissur bypass by ottaplam/shornur
Attached Thumbnails
Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi-punetosalem.jpg  

Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi-salemtopune.jpg  

robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:51   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Hi guys,

With the brilliant 4-lane you should do it in 2 days. First halt some where near Bangalore. And the reach Kochi late next day.

The route via Goa would sap you out totally.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 16:01   #50
BHPian

Dear all,

There is a change in plan for our scheduled trip.

21 April Sunday : Leaving Mumbai @2pm. Hope to stay at Kolhapur in the night. 400km.

22 Monday: Kolhapur to Mysore. Stay at Mysore. 650km.

23 Tuesady : Mysore to Gudallur in the evening. Stay at Gudallur. 110km.

24 Wedneday: Gudallr to Cochin in afternoon. To reach Cochin late night.

270km.

I succumbed to the pressure from Family and friends and so planned this much relaxed trip from Mumbai.

Also plan to cover, Rameswaram, Madurai and Trichy before returning to Mumbai.

So a total of 4300km is planned to be covered.

regards,

bbhavan.

p.s. I know the climate will be difficult in TN ,during this time.But there is on other option,than just to face it.
Old 17th April 2013, 15:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
21 April Sunday : Leaving Mumbai @2pm. Hope to stay at Kolhapur in the night. 400km.
Being a Sunday, expect heavy traffic, so you may get delayed at Bombay-Pune expressway, but after Pune you will luckily be against the tide (more vehicles coming back to Pune than going to Kolhapur). Budget for a 8 hour drive to Kolhapur from Bombay. I suggets you stay at Sai International before Kolhapur itself - to avoid going into the city - or if you are running fast, go on further to Belgaum & stay in Sankam Residency just off the NH4.

Quote:
22 Monday: Kolhapur to Mysore. Stay at Mysore. 650km.
Ideally, go through Bangalore to Mysore. If you want to be a little more adventurous, go off NH4 at Hiriyur & g via Huliyar direct to Srrangapatna & Mysore.

Quote:
23 Tuesady : Mysore to Gudallur in the evening. Stay at Gudallur. 110km.
Specific agenda in Gudalur?

Quote:
24 Wedneday: Gudallr to Cochin in afternoon. To reach Cochin late night.

270km.
I guess you will take the Nilambur route?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 15:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Being a Sunday, expect heavy traffic, so you may get delayed at Bombay-Pune expressway, but after Pune you will luckily be against the tide (more vehicles coming back to Pune than going to Kolhapur). Budget for a 8 hour drive to Kolhapur from Bombay. I suggets you stay at Sai International before Kolhapur itself - to avoid going into the city - or if you are running fast, go on further to Belgaum & stay in Sankam Residency just off the NH4.
Thanks HVK sir for your inputs,

As we have to halt once before Mysore, I opted for Kolhapur because

1.we cannot leave Mumbai earlier than 2pm on Sunday, max is 1pm
2. I want to avoid night driving as far as possible.

So Kolhapur is selected, and so we also thought of having darshan at Kolhapur temple. As per your advice, let me check the Sai international for booking.

But if it is going to take 8 hrs, then I will reach at 10pm only.
We will do the darshan in the morning and may leave at 7a.m.

Quote:
Ideally, go through Bangalore to Mysore. If you want to be a little more adventurous, go off NH4 at Hiriyur & g via Huliyar direct to Srrangapatna & Mysore.

I 've thought of taking diversion from Tumkur to Gubbi , then Nagamangala -Pandavapura- Mysore.

If you are keen on the Hiriyur road, I will take that only. Pls. confirm.

Quote:

Specific agenda in Gudalur?
Thought of spending some time at Mysore for sight seeing till 4 pm. And we are having relatives in Gudalur. So it came as the natural choice.

Quote:

I guess you will take the Nilambur route?
Yes, Gudallur - Nilambur- Shorannur -Cochin. I plan to leave Gudallur in the afternoon and hope to cover the distance in 8 hrs, say 3pm -11 pm.

[/quote]
Old 17th April 2013, 16:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK sir for your inputs,

As we have to halt once before Mysore, I opted for Kolhapur because

1.we cannot leave Mumbai earlier than 2pm on Sunday, max is 1pm
2. I want to avoid night driving as far as possible.

So Kolhapur is selected, and so we also thought of having darshan at Kolhapur temple. As per your advice, let me check the Sai international for booking.
If you are planning for temple darshan, then it is a better idea to stay inside the city. Try Hotel Opal.

Quote:
I 've thought of taking diversion from Tumkur to Gubbi , then Nagamangala -Pandavapura- Mysore.

If you are keen on the Hiriyur road, I will take that only. Pls. confirm.
The Hiriyur route is better. If you prefer 4-laned roads with good facilities, then stick to the route via Bangalore. You do not have to enter Bangalore city, the NICE Road will take you to Mysore Road directly.
Old 17th April 2013, 22:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
If you are planning for temple darshan, then it is a better idea to stay inside the city. Try Hotel Opal.

The Hiriyur route is better. If you prefer 4-laned roads with good facilities, then stick to the route via Bangalore. You do not have to enter Bangalore city, the NICE Road will take you to Mysore Road directly.
Is it Hiriyur-Huliyar-Turuvakere-Belluru-nagamangala-Mysore?

Or if I go through Bangalore, the Google map shows a sudden left from Malavalli for Kollegal -T.Narasipura-Mysore.Or from Malavalli, is it straight through Bannur?

regards,
bbhavan
Old 17th April 2013, 23:15   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Or if I go through Bangalore, the Google map shows a sudden left from Malavalli for Kollegal -T.Narasipura-Mysore.Or from Malavalli, is it straight through Bannur?

regards,
bbhavan
If it is via Bangalore, then you go via Mysore road and not via NH209 (Via Kanakpura). It is Bangalore-Ramnagar-Mandya-Srirangapatna-Mysore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 23:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If it is via Bangalore, then you go via Mysore road and not via NH209 (Via Kanakpura). It is Bangalore-Ramnagar-Mandya-Srirangapatna-Mysore.
Quote:

If you prefer 4-laned roads with good facilities, then stick to the route via Bangalore. You do not have to enter Bangalore city, the NICE Road will take you to Mysore Road directly.
As per the current plan, I will be reaching Bangalore area in the evening. So will there be more traffic in this route than the Hiliyur diversion road or Tumkur diversion?
Old 17th April 2013, 23:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

regards,
bbhavan
Yes, that is the route.
It cuts the Bangalore-Hassan NH48 at Bellur & joins the Bangalore-Mysore highway at Srirangapatna.
Excellent road. Good signages for Mysore. NO turns or detours.
Old 17th April 2013, 23:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the current plan, I will be reaching Bangalore area in the evening. So will there be more traffic in this route than the Hiliyur diversion road or Tumkur diversion?
Traffic is not much on the Hiriyur-S R Patna route, but it does pass through small towns besides being 2-laned. However, you will have a smooth drive. Going via Bangalore is not a bad idea at all, since the 4-laned roads throughout, till Mysore, compensate for the extra traffic
Old 17th April 2013, 23:53   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic is not much on the Hiriyur-S R Patna route, but it does pass through small towns besides being 2-laned. However, you will have a smooth drive. Going via Bangalore is not a bad idea at all, since the 4-laned roads throughout, till Mysore, compensate for the extra traffic

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

As you are ok on both the roads, let me take a decision based on the situation demands.
If I get bored of 4 lane roads, , i will turn from Hiriyur. Or will continue straight via Bangalore.

Thanks once again,
bbhavan
Old 17th April 2013, 23:56   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
Is it not possible to start earlier for Mumbai? If that is possible then you can push till Belgaum/Hubli on Day 1. Then on second day, it become much easier to drive to Mysore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks