Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 22:58   #76
BHPian

Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Dear Mods:

Pls. transfer these last discussions into an appropriate thread.

Actually it is the onward journey from Mumbai to Cochin, but I feel this thread is not the right place.

bbhavan
Old 20th May 2013, 23:31   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Why do yo suggest sivaganga melur road? It is almost near to Madurai.
The road through karaikkudi is in bad shape?
Google map shows this route.
Devakottai-Karaikudi-Pudukottai is pretty bad. Its much better take the road to Madurai. At the same time, since you dont want to lose time over Madurai bypass, its even better go via Sivagangai-Melur and join the 4-lane here.

Quote:
Also any idea about the road condition between punaloor and thirunelveli? Are there any difficult ghat sections?
The ghat section is from Tenkasi. Did not understand Tirunelveli aspect.
If your last stop is Madurai, the direct is via Rajapalayam-Sriviliputtur-Tenkasi. Instead if you want to go via Tirunelveli-Alagulam it may be a good option, but I dont the condition from Tirunelveli to Tenkasi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 23:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Devakottai-Karaikudi-Pudukottai is pretty bad. Its much better take the road to Madurai. At the same time, since you dont want to lose time over Madurai bypass, its even better go via Sivagangai-Melur and join the 4-lane here.
O.k. thanks, I will then surely take the Melur route.

Quote:
The ghat section is from Tenkasi. Did not understand Tirunelveli aspect.
If your last stop is Madurai, the direct is via Rajapalayam-Sriviliputtur-Tenkasi. Instead if you want to go via Tirunelveli-Alagulam it may be a good option, but I dont the condition from Tirunelveli to Tenkasi.

I am planning to go via punalur - tenkasi- tirunelveli-ottapidaram-Rameswaram as shown by GM.

While coming back from Madurai, I am planning to take Kambam-Theni-Kumily-kottayam.

I am worried about any difficult ghat sections enroute?
Old 21st May 2013, 00:36   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to go via punalur - tenkasi- tirunelveli-ottapidaram-Rameswaram as shown by GM.

While coming back from Madurai, I am planning to take Kambam-Theni-Kumily-kottayam.
I think ghats should be fine. And the route from Tenkasi-Tirunelveli is should be decent. But expect many towns.

Tirunelveli-Tuticorin is good. I would recommend this option rather than the one via Ottapidaram.

Tirunelveli-Tuticorin Bypass-Vembar-Sayalgudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.
Old 21st May 2013, 07:43   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check this post by Gopi. Tenkasi-Tirunelveli is should be just about OK. And as I mentioned earlier; at Tirunelveli, take the road to Tuticorin rather than Ottapidaram.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2784143
Old 21st May 2013, 14:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to visit Rameswaram, Tiruchendoor, Madurai, Srirangam,Thanjavur,Chidambaram.

The issue is that I am having only 4 days and 3 nights maximum for the above.

Will I be able to cover this without doing night driving?

I will be starting from Kottayam, and plan to go to Rameswaram via Tiruchendoor.

Next day, to Trichy and stay there.

Third day to Chidambaram via Thanjavur and then go to Madurai and stay at Madurai.

4th day , return.

Is the above workable? Will it be too hectic? How can I improve it? Or should I omit Chidambaram from the list?

Expecting your valuable comments,
bbhavan
D1: Kottayam-Kanjirapalli-Kumili-Kambam-Theni-Madurai (catch evening darshan when temple reopens)-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur (stay overnight)

Good ghat roads till Kumili, not-so-fast drive till Madurai, departure from Madurai by 5 pm, superfast roads from there to Tuticorin, and stay at Tiruchendur for night (2-3 hours max from Madurai)

D2: Tiruchendur (morning darshan, temple opens at 5 am or so)-Tuticorin-Rameswaram-Dhanushkodi-Rameswaram (temple darshan/sea bath), stay overnight at Rameswaram

D3: Rameswaram-Ramanathapuram-Tondi-Mimisal-Muthupettai-Nagapattinam-Karaikal (Tirunaalr temple)-Vaitheeswaran koil-Sirkazhi-Chidambaram (temple darshan evening)-Vaitheeswaran-Mayiladuthurai-Kumbakonam (more temples?)-Thanjavur (temple darshan)

D4: Thanjavur-Trichy-Srirangam (temple darshan in morning)-Dindigul-Theni-Kambam-Kumili-Kanjirapalli-Kottayam
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 16:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
D1: Kottayam-Kanjirapalli-Kumili-Kambam-Theni-Madurai (catch evening darshan when temple reopens)-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur (stay overnight)

D3: Rameswaram-Ramanathapuram-Tondi-Mimisal-Muthupettai-Nagapattinam-Karaikal (Tirunaalr temple)-Vaitheeswaran koil-Sirkazhi-Chidambaram (temple darshan evening)-Vaitheeswaran-Mayiladuthurai-Kumbakonam (more temples?)-Thanjavur (temple darshan)

D4: Thanjavur-Trichy-Srirangam (temple darshan in morning)-Dindigul-Theni-Kambam-Kumili-Kanjirapalli-Kottayam

Dear HVK sir,

What an option given by you!!

It is truly mouth watering!!. Initially I was ready to omit Tiruchendoor and Chidambaram. Now I need to rework again.

I am doubtful about the 3rd day, which is from Rameswaram to Chidambaram and back to Thanjore. Not for you, indeed, but with a family of aged parents and kids and me being the lone adult male and driver. And lots of Temples to cover. And the climate

Now I am really confused with the range of temples in Thanjore-Kumbakonam belt.Which one to omit?

Hope your suggestions do not demand for night driving.

Let me digest the routes again and will revert soon,

bbhavan.
Old 21st May 2013, 19:12   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Let me digest the routes again and will revert soon,
HVK,

- Kottayam-Madurai-Tirchundur is about 400+ km (as I see in Google)
- If he reaches Madurai by noon temple would be closed. (240+ for Madurai)
- Even darshan as you mentioned would be done by say 5/6PM and by the time he reaches Tiruchendur it would be late
- He has to drive another ~200.
- Very much possible, but he says he has parents and kid.
- Wont it be stressful?

@bhavan, you need to decide if you can manage it.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2013 at 19:14.
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK,

- Kottayam-Madurai-Tirchundur is about 400+ km (as I see in Google)
- If he reaches Madurai by noon temple would be closed. (240+ for Madurai)
- Even darshan as you mentioned would be done by say 5/6PM and by the time he reaches Tiruchendur it would be late
- He has to drive another ~200.
- Very much possible, but he says he has parents and kid.
- Wont it be stressful?

@bhavan, you need to decide if you can manage it.
Madurai temple darshan - I have suggested in evening after it reopens.
From Madurai, the 4-laned highway to Tuticorin is superfast, doable in under 2 hours. From there, Tiruchendur is 2-laned but by the time he crosses Tuticorin, it will be less traffic & he will reach Tiruchendur in time for dinner.
Therefore, except for the driving part, the journey is fast & pleasant.
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:32   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Madurai, the 4-laned highway to Tuticorin is superfast, doable in under 2 hours. From there, Tiruchendur is 2-laned but by the time he crosses Tuticorin, it will be less traffic & he will reach Tiruchendur in time for dinner.
Therefore, except for the driving part, the journey is fast & pleasant.
Thanks. Overlooked the 4-lane NH45B part ! Should surely be possible. I was just wondering if the aged people, 400+ km and running around the city in a day would be worth it.
Old 27th May 2013, 17:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Taking confidence from your suggestion, I am planning to include both Chidambaram and Tiruchendur in the trip.

I have slightly modified the trip. As Trichy is near to Madurai than Tiruchendur, I have planned the first night's stay at Trichy. Also I am having a relative at Trichy, so stay there is a natural choice.

Hope Madurai-Trichy road is also good.

From Trichy we will go via, Tanjore to Chidambaram and will stay there for the second night. Enroute,can visit other temples also.(those list are yet to be finalized.)

From Chidambaram, it is all the way by ECR, to Rameswaram. for the night's stay.

On 4th day,is return, via Tenkasi -Punalur road, after visiting Tiruchendur via Tuticorin.

Hope the above is workable, but will only finalize after getting your feedback and of course, I need to vet it from my parents also,

The above plan is conceptualized using Google map and the same is attached here for your ready reference,

Plz. check the attached pdf file,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TN TRIP.pdf (236.2 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by bbhavan : 27th May 2013 at 17:36. Reason: To rectify a typo
Old 27th May 2013, 19:32   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Taking confidence from your suggestion, I am planning to include both Chidambaram and Tiruchendur in the trip.
The last day, you have to do Rameshwaram darshan, Dhanushkodi and then you start. That would be easily 10-11AM. So not sure if you can make it Tiruchendur in time.

Every thing else seems OK to me.
Old 27th May 2013, 21:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope Madurai-Trichy road is also good.
Very good. Excellent choice of overnight halt.

Quote:
From Trichy we will go via, Tanjore to Chidambaram and will stay there for the second night. Enroute,can visit other temples also.(those list are yet to be finalized.)
Bear in mind that you must leave Trichy early morning because temples close before midday & if you spent too much time in temples en route (of which there are several), you will miss Chidambaram (it will close).
Old 27th May 2013, 22:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The last day, you have to do Rameshwaram darshan, Dhanushkodi and then you start. That would be easily 10-11AM. So not sure if you can make it Tiruchendur in time.

Every thing else seems OK to me.

Yes, that is the reason,I have kept 11Am departure from Rameswaram.

This issue is there on almost all days.

Last day , I have to do some night driving, but being MCRoad from Adoor, I don't see major problem, as the road is not unfamiliar to me.

Quote:
Very good. Excellent choice of overnight halt.

Bear in mind that you must leave Trichy early morning because temples close before midday & if you spent too much time in temples en route (of which there are several), you will miss Chidambaram (it will close).

Quite relieved now, as you have approved the plan.
I don't think, we will visit many temples in that belt. There are 4 children with us, so they may get bored, after seeing many temples!!.

Don't know, how it will unwind, will the team will be able to cope up with it, in the scorching climate,

regards,
bbhavan
Old 7th June 2013, 12:27   #90
BHPian

With the grace of god and help from bhpians, we have successfully done the TN Trip as planned earlier.
Will update the details once I come back in Mumbai.
Now only the last leg of the journey is pending ie.Cochin -Mumbai and we will start that from tomorrow morning from cochin.
Plan to go via palakkad Bangalore pune.

Is the Tissue Palakkad sector is ok now or do we have to take any deviation?
Regards

Bbhavan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks