Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2014, 23:37   #121
BHPian

Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Sorry for my delayed response.

No, I haven't done such a trip. I was just loudly thinking about that option.(NH17 for Mumbai-Cochin). But after Ampere ruled against it, I dropped the idea.

You can follow the advice of Ranjith and Ampere. They are the masters in that part of the country.

Have a nice trip!
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 21:17   #122

Hey Fellow BHPers...

I will be travelling to Kochi from Mumbai with my parents and my pet (Were trying to avoid road travel with Pet) But looks like we might have to take it, nevertheless, road travel from Mumbai to Kochi had been a dream for quite some years now...

I wanted to check with you guys, as to which will be the best route, Good roads will be a priority (I hope this is not too much to ask ) Small detours here and there to see scenic beauty is possible.

Date of Travel : Leaving from mumbai on 22/10/2014, and need to reach Kochi the next day.
Vehicle : Hyundai i20 Diesel.

Any heads up as to what needs to be checked with the car etc.. would be much appreciated.

This is the first time I will be driving on such a long route.

Regards,
Vinay
Old 28th September 2014, 18:28   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdilover View Post
Hey Fellow BHPers...

I will be travelling to Kochi from Mumbai with my parents and my pet (Were trying to avoid road travel with Pet) But looks like we might have to take it, nevertheless, road travel from Mumbai to Kochi had been a dream for quite some years now...

I wanted to check with you guys, as to which will be the best route, Good roads will be a priority (I hope this is not too much to ask ) Small detours here and there to see scenic beauty is possible.

Date of Travel : Leaving from mumbai on 22/10/2014, and need to reach Kochi the next day.
Vehicle : Hyundai i20 Diesel.

Any heads up as to what needs to be checked with the car etc.. would be much appreciated.

This is the first time I will be driving on such a long route.

Regards,
Vinay
Two Options:

BOM-Tumkur-NICE Road-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-Mannuthy-Kochi

BOM-NH4-Hubli-Hiriyur-Nelligere-Pandavapura-Srirangaptna-Mysore-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kochi.

Roads are all good.

On Option 1,you would reach Bangalore in about 12-13hrs and on option 2 you would reach Mysore in roughly about the same time.

In between stay options available at Pune,Satara,Kolhapur,Belgaum,Dharwad,Hubli,Chitrad urga,Davangere,Mysore
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 00:03   #124

ranjitp1 Hey, Ranjitm Thank You for the route help, Any idea as to which will route will be scenically beautiful? and with less traffic? Blore route I am guessing will be prone to traffic and hence might slow down?

Note from Support:
Please avoid the use of short forms like Blore.
Thanks,
Support Team

Last edited by bblost : 29th September 2014 at 00:29.
Old 29th September 2014, 01:18   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blore route I am guessing will be prone to traffic and hence might slow down?
Definitely the 2-lane roads are better from scenery point of view. But I think your progress would get slowed down, once you are off the 4-lane. When you are on a cross country drive with long distances to cover, 4-lanes are always the way to go. Bangalore wont slow you down. Thats simply because, you break at Bangalore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 13:51   #126

Thanks Apmere, Yes, you are right, on the long drive, I think I will stick to the 4 lanes, instead of the 2 lanes. The schedules and the itinerary at Kochi keeps changing with the relatives, reaching there quicker looks like the best way to go instead of numerous breaks on the road.

So which one would be better from the ones Ranjith suggested:

BOM-Tumkur-NICE Road-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-Mannuthy-Kochi

BOM-NH4-Hubli-Hiriyur-Nelligere-Pandavapura-Srirangaptna-Mysore-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kochi.

?

Support: Sorry about the short forms, will use the complete words
Old 19th October 2014, 10:53   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes thats the best possible option. Take a break in Bangalore close to Hosur road. And start very early the next day. Skip the break fast, if the hotel is bed and breakfast. Cross Krishagiri is wee hours and you are set to crunch miles at a fairly good pace.

Suggested Places: Keys on Hosur road. There is also an Ibis. If you want to splurge a bit more there is a La-Classic just before Attibele toll. A very good place, but would be costly. But an ideal location.
Old 19th October 2014, 21:23   #128
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@crdilover - mudumalai - Gudalur is not in great condition and nilumbur onwards is narrow and will slow you down better take the faster Hosur route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes thats the best possible option. Take a break in Bangalore close to Hosur road. And start very early the next day. Skip the break fast, if the hotel is bed and breakfast. Cross Krishagiri is wee hours and you are set to crunch miles at a fairly good pace.
I guess you meant to say that the Hosur route is the better option compared to Mysore route but your quote from original post was of the Nelligere Pandavapura Mysore route

Last edited by NPV : 19th October 2014 at 21:28.
Old 19th October 2014, 22:06   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I guess you meant to say that the Hosur route is the better option compared to Mysore route but your quote from original post was of the Nelligere Pandavapura Mysore route
Good catch! Yes I did mean the GQ option. Thanks for point it out. When one hits a cross country, its much better to be on 4-lane roads rather than 2-lane. For short distance like 200-400km 2-lane roads are good. But when it comes to cross country one should always prefer 4-lane where ever possible.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:24   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But when it comes to cross country one should always prefer 4-lane where ever possible.
I agree to the above statement. Hiriyur- pandavapura-Mysore route may be scenic, but it also has several speed breakers and it will hurt your knees badly. If you are Going to Cochin from Mumbai, the Bangalore route is better.
bbhavan
Old 20th October 2014, 15:58   #131
BHPian

Having tried the Mysore route this August and the Bangalore route (although slightly different,entered via Walayur ) in May I would recommend the Bangalore route.
Mysore route is ok as you get to go through the forest but the amount of speedbrakers is just too much !
Old 17th November 2014, 15:17   #132
BHPian

I am planning a trip from Palai to Mumbai towards the end of this month. From the discussions here it looks like the following route is the best

BOM-Tumkur-NICE Road-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-Mannuthy-

My priority is shortest time and good roads. i am not bothered about scenic roads (atleast not in this trip). i will be driving alone. i plan to start on saturday and reach mumbai by sunday evening with an overnight stop somewhere

Please suggest where to stop overnight and a place to stay (it has to be neat and safe, no need for any luxuries as i will be just using it to sleep)

Also if i take this route what will be the travel time till bangalore and from bangalore to mumbai.

Any other inputs/suggestions
Old 18th November 2014, 08:13   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
BOM-Tumkur-NICE Road-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencheri-Mannuthy
Quote:
Any other inputs/suggestions
Yes thats the best option. You should be able to drive down to Tumkur/Bangalore end of day one. An early start the next day should take you to the destination with quite ease. No need for any query on road conditions. Good from start to end.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:50   #134
BHPian

thanks Ampere. so you suggest a i take a break at Tumkur. Any suggestions for accommodation (i want to keep it to a minimum but neat and clean, no frills needed).

Also if i drive within speed limits what will be the driving time from kochi to Tumkur and also from Tumkur to mumbai
Old 18th November 2014, 16:37   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
thanks Ampere. so you suggest a i take a break at Tumkur. Any suggestions for accommodation (i want to keep it to a minimum but neat and clean, no frills needed).
Naveen Regency is the only place in Tumkur.
http://www.naveenregency.com

Quote:
Also if i drive within speed limits what will be the driving time from kochi to Tumkur and also from Tumkur to mumbai
Its about 900 km to Tumkur. A 3/4AM start should take you to Tumkur in about 12 hours max with breaks.

From Tumkur its another 600+km. A start after breakfast should take about 8-10 hours. With late start expect delays at Hosur.

Another option: If you can push till Hosur, that can be of a great help. Because the second day becomes quite easy. Quite many places in Hosur to stay. One I can suggest : Sarovar Portico.

http://www.sarovarhotels.com/bangalo...portico-suites

Please note: Tumkur-Bangalore-Hosur can be nightmare with lots of traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks