Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 18:41   #856
BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

I agree with the fact that IndiGo is by far the most punctual airline in India. An all Indian airlines with best of customer support and least delays and cancellation, Wow irony at it's height! BUT we all must appreciate this fact. Atleast somebody is giving competition to international expensive airliners. Whereas the worst of the lot seems to be the most expensive ones in the country (one of them has already shown the hole in pocket).
I had this experience with jet airways, I had booked 4 tickets with them and for some reason had re-plan my journey. I called the costumer care, required to punch so many no. to reach costumer executive only to find all line busy.
Waited first time for whole 12 mins listening to the recorded rhyme only to start hating it. (Also I can't keep mobile to my ear, it starts getting baked as it crosses 5 mins)
For second time it was again 10 mins wait and I disconnected.
Only third time I was lucky to get it through in 4 mins.
If they have so rush then only they have to do is to increase the no of lines. OR they prefer to ignore the costumers.

All thumbs up to IndiGo!
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:13   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post

If they have so rush then only they have to do is to increase the no of lines. OR they prefer to ignore the costumers.
If they increase number of lines then headcount also has to be increased which means more salaries to be paid.They know that rescheduling/cancellation passengers would anyways wait as they dont have much of an option.Moreover as per their studies on call patterns,they would have deduced that the number of callers for reskeds does not warrant an additional line!Call it airlinonomics

Try punching in the option of buying a new ticket and you would get through to them in a jiffy and then tell them you want to reschedule-it would work faster as New reservations/Purchase tickets are always staffed with more people and provisioned with more lines as nobody wants to lose out on business.
Old 7th May 2013, 11:49   #858
BHPian

Frequent FLyer Miles- How to make most out of it.

Mods: Pls post it to appropriate forum if not suitable here.

I have considerable FF miles accrued on jet airways. I have never used them so far.

I am likely to attend a function at London where I can invite my family too. I was wondering how best can I use the JP miles.

I had written them a mail and they had sent me a form to fill. But how to utilise these miles to redeem award ticket if I wish to fly Jet Airways' partner airline. Can I club various other airline miles, which are Jet Airways partner airlines with JP miles to accumulate enough points.

If not for award tickets, how best can i use them otherwise?

Rgds.
Old 15th May 2013, 01:14   #859
BHPian

Re: Frequent FLyer Miles- How to make most out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Mods: Pls post it to appropriate forum if not suitable here.

I have considerable FF miles accrued on jet airways. I have never used them so far.

I am likely to attend a function at London where I can invite my family too. I was wondering how best can I use the JP miles.

I had written them a mail and they had sent me a form to fill. But how to utilise these miles to redeem award ticket if I wish to fly Jet Airways' partner airline. Can I club various other airline miles, which are Jet Airways partner airlines with JP miles to accumulate enough points.

If not for award tickets, how best can i use them otherwise?

Rgds.
Jet Airways has two direct flights from Mumbai to London everyday. You can book your award ticket online. You need to login to Jet Privilege and go thru the usual booking process. You'll need 27000 miles for one way. For partner airlines, you need to check their websites for redeeming miles.
Old 10th June 2013, 10:35   #860
BHPian

People I need some urgent help. I've got an Air India flight to catch tomorrow, and I need to carry my guitar with me. Air India's site says that they won't allow it inside the cabin. The problem is, I have a soft cover for the guitar and chances of it making through the journey in one piece are close to zero. Would it be safe if I got the hard cover and then take it as check in baggage? Anybody else who's been through such a situation please help. Suggestions regarding other safer ways of taking the guitar would also be helpful.
Old 10th June 2013, 11:17   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
People I need some urgent help. I've got an Air India flight to catch tomorrow, and I need to carry my guitar with me. Air India's site says that they won't allow it inside the cabin. The problem is, I have a soft cover for the guitar and chances of it making through the journey in one piece are close to zero. Would it be safe if I got the hard cover and then take it as check in baggage? Anybody else who's been through such a situation please help. Suggestions regarding other safer ways of taking the guitar would also be helpful.
There is no "written" rule regards the carrying of guitar as cabin baggage.All advice that you get from any airline would all be verbal and that is of rubbish value.

My suggestion would be to ship the guitar separately via courier.Professional Courier does a decent job,so does Gati.Gati does offer a packing (though its not official,tell them and they would do it for a price around 200rs for the packing)

I wouldnt check in the guitar through the airlines if you see the way baggage is handled by the baggage people-cant blame them they have an enormous job to do and they simply wouldnt bother.Also if you do manage to get the counter staff to agree to let you carry the piece as hand baggage,there is every likelihood that CISF wouldnt let you carry it onboard and then you would be stuck in a situation where you would have to check in your guitar with hardly any protection.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 22:33   #862
BANNED

I have done lots of International personal and business travel. I have also done a lot of vacations inside India. But I have never done any business travel inside India. So I don't possess the right kind of luggage for this kind of travel since this is going to be the first time.

I was wondering what's the right kind of bag to carry for a 3 to 5 day trip by flight? And one which would also work fine for future domestic business trips.

Are in cabin baggage rules and restrictions the same for all airlines? I was looking at Jet's website for the rules (just the first site I found on googling) - http://www.jetairways.com/EN/EU/Bagg...inBaggage.aspx
It says

Quote:
The dimensions of which should not exceed 115 linear cms and weight should not exceed 7 kgs. The dimensions of the hand baggage should not exceed 55 cm X 35 cm X 25 cm totaling not more than 115 linear cms for Boeing as well as Airbus. The hand baggage dimensions for ATR should not exceed 50 cm X 45 cm X 20 cm totaling not more than 115 linear cms.
Since there are two kinds of dimensions mentioned (55 cm X 35 cm X 25 cm & 50 cm X 45 cm X 20 cm), I am not sure which one I should consider while buying luggage. Probably one which satisfies both I guess.

Also stuff which American Tourister advertises as in cabin baggage seems to be bigger than either one of these dimensions
http://www.americantouristerindia.co...inz-cabin.html

Is it possible to get by with no checkin luggage? Seems difficult for anything more than a 2 day trip, it seems.

Also, should I go for soft luggage or hard luggage?
Old 14th July 2013, 20:31   #863
BHPian

Any idea if we can use Skywards or OneWorld airmiles on any other airlines for domestic travel in India ? I've got a good amount on Skywards and One World but hardly able to use it for travel purposes within India. Would be great to be able to use these on domestic sector.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:38   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
I've got an Air India flight to catch tomorrow, and I need to carry my guitar with me.
Am quite certain I've seen people with a guitar at least on two occasions beyond the security check zone. So that would mean the guitar was cleared for cabin baggage. Not sure which airline though, sorry.

Get the hard case anyway and maybe try and pack in as many bath and hand towels inside the case in the spaces between the guitar and the case so it acts as one solid object. Loosen the strings. Mark the case 'fragile' with as many labels as possible (not that it will really change the way they handle baggage, but no harm trying!)

And hope for the best if you need to check it in!

EDIT: Oops, just realized that esteemer was asking about a flight that was a few days ago. So the guitar must have made the journey by now. Do let us know how you managed it.

Last edited by am1m : 16th July 2013 at 12:41. Reason: Adding info
Old 20th July 2013, 12:09   #865
BHPian

Going from CCU to BLR on 26th. Need to know the best way to reach NSCB from howrah station. Alone, with a 7kg backpack. Do Volvos ply from railway station to airport? I Have ample buffer time. Also, the backpack will be check in baggage or cabin baggage?
Old 5th November 2013, 15:56   #866
BANNED

I am traveling tomorrow domestically on Air India. The e-ticket says "The passenger needs to check-in at least 2 hrs prior departure for Air India and Air India Express domestic flights else will be considered as a no show."

Is this serious? Do I need to checkin 2 hours before the flight. I typically reach the airport 1.5 hours before the flight.
Old 5th November 2013, 16:01   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am traveling tomorrow domestically on Air India. The e-ticket says "The passenger needs to check-in at least 2 hrs prior departure for Air India and Air India Express domestic flights else will be considered as a no show."

Is this serious? Do I need to checkin 2 hours before the flight. I typically reach the airport 1.5 hours before the flight.
I think the rules of international travel apply to any flights operated by Air India. I am assuming this flight to be the same and either it would be coming from abroad or going to.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 17:22   #868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think the rules of international travel apply to any flights operated by Air India. I am assuming this flight to be the same and either it would be coming from abroad or going to.
I don't think there is any Indian Airlines anymore. There is only Air India. And this flight is from terminal 1A which is at the Santa Cruz Airport (domestic) not Sahar Airport (international) so I doubt if it would be coming from or going to a foreign country.

Anyway, I called their toll free number & they said checkin closes 45 minutes before.
Old 26th November 2013, 22:50   #869
BHPian

While booking a flight from Bangalore to Delhi, I found out that BLR-DEL-IXC was cheaper (by Rs. 1000) than a BLR-DEL flight for the same day.

So what would happen if I booked a BLR-DEL-IXC flight but got off at Delhi? I do not plan to have any checked-in baggage.
Old 26th November 2013, 23:01   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
While booking a flight from Bangalore to Delhi, I found out that BLR-DEL-IXC was cheaper (by Rs. 1000) than a BLR-DEL flight for the same day.

So what would happen if I booked a BLR-DEL-IXC flight but got off at Delhi? I do not plan to have any checked-in baggage.
While getting down at Delhi, airline security will check your boarding pass. Handle them and you are cool.
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks