Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:15   #2041
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

@Starry Sky & @Kala :

Many thanks for your inputs. since i will be driving in these areas for the first time has made me to put across all my doubts.

So, is it better that i drive upto chalakudi, then take a left turn on NH-47 at Potta Junction and drive on the Potta - Moonapeedika road. The distance between Potta (NH-47) & Moonupeedika (NH-17) is shown as 21.5 kms on GM.

It will be nice if a frequent user of these roads can update the present condition of the above road.

@menonrajesh: Thanks for your input. I am looking at various posts stating the poor condition of NH 47. Btw, any idea about the NH-47 condition from Angamaly to Chalakudy ?

If NH-47 is good upto chalakudy, then i can drive upto chalakudy and then get into NH-17 from there on as suggested by you guys.

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 22nd December 2010 at 15:27.
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:16   #2042
BHPian

I had read about the Omallur-Shankari road, the last time I did my research on team-bhp for my trip to aluva. I recall that somebody felt that it was not a safe road because it was a two way road. I will try it if I reach Omallur after the sun has risen. Thanks.

Last year, there were some diversions immediately after taking the Salem Bye Pass. Are all those diversions over and done with? In which case, how far can I go, if going via the Salem Bye Pass, before I reach two way traffic?
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:18   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I've found the Paravoor-Kodungallur stretch of NH-17 to be extremely slow because of the narrow roads and the heavy bus traffic that you encounter.

I think HVK's suggestion of crossing over to NH17 a little bit further north may be better. One possible route that GM shows is Chalakudy-Irinjalakuda-Moonnupeedika. I've travelled on the Chalakudy-Irinjalakuda road about a year ago and the road was very good then. Don't know how good the Irinjalakuda-Moonnupeedika road is, but the distance is only about 10 kms or so, it may be worth taking a chance.
I agree. Its always beter to skip Paravoor - Kodungallur stretch in NH17 and instead come till Chalakudy, take left to Irinjalakuda near Potta, skip Irinjalakuda town and go via 'Tana' towards Moonupeedika. Entire stretch from Chalakudy to Moonnupeedika is in excellent condition.
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:34   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Palakkad-Thrissur is still in terrible shape even after the so called patch work. The upper crust of the road layer is gone in a lot of places and there are numerous sharp pot holes. While returning I will definitely opt for the Ottappalam route.

General update - Avinashi stretch is quite manageable even with a lot of minor diversions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Trichur-Palakkad stretch is not that bad as per the earlier posts.

I don't think its worth to take a detour since you have to travel in day time through Trichur/other towns especially on Christmas days.
Looks like I'll do a toss tomorrow during my trip. Heads - NH47, Tails - Ottappalam
On a serious note, if I'm not pressed for time, which route is recommended?
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:40   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
I agree. Its always beter to skip Paravoor - Kodungallur stretch in NH17 and instead come till Chalakudy, take left to Irinjalakuda near Potta, skip Irinjalakuda town and go via 'Tana' towards Moonupeedika. Entire stretch from Chalakudy to Moonnupeedika is in excellent condition.
Hey, thanks for the update. Any idea about the condition of NH-47 from Angamaly to Chalakudy. Am seeing posts that are stating NH-47 to be in bad condition with lot of deviations.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:10   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
I had read about the Omallur-Shankari road, the last time I did my research on team-bhp for my trip to aluva. I recall that somebody felt that it was not a safe road because it was a two way road. I will try it if I reach Omallur after the sun has risen. Thanks.

Last year, there were some diversions immediately after taking the Salem Bye Pass. Are all those diversions over and done with? In which case, how far can I go, if going via the Salem Bye Pass, before I reach two way traffic?
I have taken Omallur-Shankari road mostly between midnight -2am and never felt unsafe.

Salem route is completely done and no diversions till Avinashi. Please remember to take a left to flyover at Salem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hey, thanks for the update. Any idea about the condition of NH-47 from Angamaly to Chalakudy. Am seeing posts that are stating NH-47 to be in bad condition with lot of deviations.
Angamaly to Chalakudy is not in great condition. Lot of potholes here and there at major junctions/incomplete four lane stretches, but manageable.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:40   #2047
BHPian

@coolclouds - thanks.

I will stick to the same route as I had taken last year, i.e., NH7-NH47 as I don't see a compelling reason to do anything else . . . .
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:14   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
There aren't any deviations. But since the 4-laning work is on-going, some patches are not in good shape - especially the section from Karayamparambu to Karukutty, either side of Koratty and from Muringoor junction to Chalakkudy town.

Last edited by StarrySky : 22nd December 2010 at 18:16. Reason: Spelling
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:37   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Can some one provide information about good fuel stations on way to Kochi from Bangalore

I would be interested in the below route

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Combatore-Pollachi-Munnar-Kochi-Chalakudi-Valparai-Pollachi-back to Bangalore.

Preferably we would like to have fuel station + good toilet facilities + cafeteria/resturant + ATM in one common place.

Also let me know which ones would remain open 24/7.

thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:22   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Have to make a trip from Calicut to Ernakulam on new year's day (Saturday). After getting to Kuttippuram on NH-17 which of the two alternatives has better roads ? Continue on NH-17 through Ponnani-Chavakkad-Kodungallur or take the state highway through Edappal - Peumbilavu - Kunnamkulam and get on to NH-47 at Trichur ?
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:10   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
From my personal experience, perundurai-kangeyem-palladam is not worth at all. There are a number of small towns and you can't maintain any good speed over this route. This was before rains, not sure about the road conditions now. As said in the earlier posts, there are no real diversions on this route. You just have to go off road for a few meters and then get back on road.
I took the normal nh4 nh47 route yesterday from chennai to palakkad and perinthalmanna. Diversions ( very small off road pieces, infact) at avinashi cbe stretch were ok-ish and felt no need to look for alternatives.it was around 8 pm. Except that there was an accident enroute because of which there was a pile up (we some how managed to take th left shoulder? bit aggressively almost for abt 2 km and could escape less hurt ) still took some xtra 45 mins in th stretch. Walayar was also a Breeze. The same 2 way menace in the road till palakkad- difficult overtaking!
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:53   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Have to make a trip from Calicut to Ernakulam on new year's day (Saturday). After getting to Kuttippuram on NH-17 which of the two alternatives has better roads ? Continue on NH-17 through Ponnani-Chavakkad-Kodungallur or take the state highway through Edappal - Peumbilavu - Kunnamkulam and get on to NH-47 at Trichur ?
I had been on the Edappal-Trichur route in November and the roads were in quite good condition during that time - except for a few km around Edappal. I don't know about Ponnani-Chavakkad-Kodungallur route.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:00   #2053
BHPian

Thanks Kala, HVK and the rest for the directions and warnings given for my short trip to Munnar and Alleppey. My journey:-
19 Dec -0540 hrs start reached Munnar at 1615 hrs-route-Whitefield-Varthur-Sarjarpurar-Attible-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Sembatti-Batlagundu-Periyarkulam-Theni-Bodinayakkanur-Devikulam-Munnar.
W'Field-Dindigul-fantastic run. Onwards from there bad surface but driveable. There were two rock slides just before Munnar-stopped for 1/2 an hour. Therefore trip would have been under 10 hrs. Fantastic views on the climb. HVK- I beat the Fog. Stayed at Rahat Inn- an excellent budget hotel-centrally located.
20 Dec-Munnar-Alleppey-Started at 0900 hrs- till 10 Kms out road was in a bad shape till we hit the plains it was real good. After that I made a wrong turn on the advise of a local-it was hell till I reached Maradu and that to after speaking to two drunks who gave me correct directions after a string of wrong ones from the sober ones-problem -language-both the drunks spoke good hindi and a spattering of english. Reached Alleppey at 1430 hrs hours-5-1/2 hrs-pretty bad. Road and traffic was pretty bad. Stayed at Park Hotel-Central Alleppey-Okay place
21 Dec-Alleppey Munnar-Started at 0530 hrs-had breakfast just before Agamali-Crystal Kitchen- great breakfast-clean place and service good. Drive was good till Trissur barring the traffic. Trissur-Palakkad-drive was not as bad as reported-but watch out for those buses-God save us smaller beings against those over speeding mammoths?? Avinashi-bad but driveable with diversions.From then on it was a dream run to Bangalore-HVK you were bang on made it in 12 1/2 hrs (your estimation for me was 12 to 14 hrs).
Kerala was as usually lovely-I only wished more people understood us-hindi/english-believe me had a tough time trying to get directions-I was pronouncing the names as per the spelling but they had a totally different angle to it. A total of 1288 kms.
Thanks to BHP and your updates
Col Jude
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:06   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Travellers to Kerala especially beyond Thrissur on NH47,expect huge jams as K.Karunakaran's dead body would be taken via the NH47 from Kochi to Thrissur on Saturday-25th Dec.It is going to be a nightmare driving the stretch.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:31   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Travellers to Kerala especially beyond Thrissur on NH47,expect huge jams as K.Karunakaran's dead body would be taken via the NH47 from Kochi to Thrissur on Saturday-25th Dec.It is going to be a nightmare driving the stretch.
From Kochi? Heard from some sources that it is from Trivandrum. Can anyone confirm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks