Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 22:35   #9721
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
From Pollachi, pick any route to Bangalore!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The quickest would be Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai and then merge with the toll road (NH 47/NH 7). Excellent roads with low to moderate traffic.
The quickest would be Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi (Karumathampatty) route. The advantage is, you get onto the divided NH much before the Kangeyam-Perundurai does. Also, there are a couple of small towns on this route that may have a bit of congestion.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 23:04   #9722
BHPian

Thanks a ton Sun King, binand and silversteed. I have a confession and a promise to make.

Confession
Being a BHPian...I had been away from the forum for various reasons. Now i know what I hav missed.

Promise✋
I will visit this forum regularly from now on and contribute what ever little I can.

All the members here are so helpful and willing to add and suggest with the best interests of the enquirers like me in mind.

I will visit the falls on the way back to bangalore. I will also take the ferry ride. I will visit the krishna temple, the bird sanctuary and the village where they.make boats.

Thank you all so much.

I will look forward to more suggestions. I will actively update things here during the trip😊
Old 31st August 2016, 23:08   #9723
BHPian

Hi Friends - I plan to travel from Chennai to Palakkad on 2nd September. Given the All India General Strike on 2nd September, do you think should defer the trip ?
Going by past experiences, nation wide strikes do not make any impact in Tamilnadu but still pondering if i should change my plan. Anyone else in the same dilemma ?
Old 31st August 2016, 23:27   #9724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi Friends - I plan to travel from Chennai to Palakkad on 2nd September. Given the All India General Strike on 2nd September, do you think should defer the trip ?
Going by past experiences, nation wide strikes do not make any impact in Tamilnadu but still pondering if i should change my plan. Anyone else in the same dilemma ?
Yes me too, plan to drive from Bangalore to Palakkad. Any pointers shall be useful
Old 1st September 2016, 07:12   #9725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
But the bandh will have a larger impact in Kerala. The Bandh is from 6 AM to 6 PM. I guess entering Kerala post 6 PM should not be a problem. Leave Chennai say by 4 AM.
Old 1st September 2016, 08:17   #9726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
But the bandh will have a larger impact in Kerala. The Bandh is from 6 AM to 6 PM. I guess entering Kerala post 6 PM should not be a problem. Leave Chennai say by 4 AM.
The chief minister of Kerala is on record asking state government employees to make the strike a grand success. I imagine the officers of commercial taxes, transport and other department will all heed to this; leading to a pile-up at Walayar and other checkposts in the evening.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 10:37   #9727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu
;

By any chance would that be AMBALAPUZHA Krishna Temple (which would be about 15 kms from

Yes it is. The prasadam is the renowned payal payasam . https://www.google.com/search?q=alap...-8#fpstate=lie

Last edited by SDP : 1st September 2016 at 11:50. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
Old 1st September 2016, 13:44   #9728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
The prasadam is the renowned payal payasam
Er... Paal payasam. Kheer-like sweet dish (payasam) made out of paal (milk) and other ingredients like .

Ambalapuzha paal payasam is quite reknowned.
Old 1st September 2016, 15:36   #9729
BHPian

Quote:
4 AM would be too early as the travel time would be about 7-8 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The chief minister of Kerala is on record asking state government employees to make the strike a grand success. I imagine the officers of commercial taxes, transport and other department will all heed to this; leading to a pile-up at Walayar and other checkposts in the evening.
Sad to see chief of a state endorsing a complete halt. Anyways will wait and watch and in worse case, will stay overnight at Coimbatore
Old 1st September 2016, 16:12   #9730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought is a 24 hours Bandh and had postponed my travel plans to Kerala, it will be great if someone can reconfirm

Last edited by gadadhar : 1st September 2016 at 16:21.
Old 1st September 2016, 18:25   #9731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
.... it will be great if someone can reconfirm
Hear from reliable sources that the shutdown is from 00 hours to 24.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:33   #9732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Krish View Post
Thanks a ton Sun King, binand and silversteed. I have a confession and a promise to make.

I will look forward to more suggestions. I will actively update things here during the trip😊
In case you are planning to visit Trivandrum, I recommend magic planet. It is a really variety experience for young and old alike.
Old 1st September 2016, 21:38   #9733
BHPian

Thanks minivandriver! I just checked thiruvanantapuram is about 150 kms only from alleppey. I will surely keep it as an option.
Old 1st September 2016, 22:04   #9734
BHPian

Please keep in mind that the 150 kms will take anywhere between 3 to 5 hours and magic planet will be a full day affair (but worth every bit of it in my opinion.) Best bet will be to book tickets online or call them up early to reserve tickets. Plan an early morning drive to reach magic planet at 9:00AM.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:11   #9735
BHPian

Major blockades reported in Mandya and roads connecting Karnataka and Tamilnadu due to protests against Supreme Court ruling on Cauvery water issue.
Could be bandh like situation in Mandya district.
Also, reports claim that Karnataka RTC has taken off buses plying to TN and Kerala due to fear of violence in TN.
Please be cautious while driving/travelling on these routes.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed