Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 22:38   #9706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Krish View Post
Will it be possible to reach guruvayur in time for dinner if I leave bangalore by 4:30 AM?

I hope it rains when we are there! We just love it when it rains!!!
If you leave at 4.30am you should be able to reach Guruvayoor for a late lunch assuming 1-1.5 hours of stops

I don't think it will take more than 9-10 hours of driving time max.

But as mentioned by Ranjitp1, it will be a more tiring drive especially once you enter Kerala.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:48   #9707
BHPian

Thank you Rajeevraj! I am quite a sedate driver. I usually drive at about 80kmph if the road allows it. I dont mind a little exhaustion as we can head straight to the hotel and rest.

How about oncoming vehicular traffic on this route?

I would want to reach guruvayur before sunset. A 9-10 hr drive is quite OK i guess
Old 29th August 2016, 23:39   #9708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Binand!

I would prefer the nanjungud-guruvayur route. My 4 year and 9 year old sons will enjoy seeing some wild animals should we get lucky. Will it be possible to reach guruvayur in time for dinner if I leave bangalore by 4:30 AM?

I hope it rains when we are there! We just love it when it rains!!!
With a 4.30 am start, you will reach Guruvayoor well before sunset.
Plan for breakfast at mysore/Gundlupet, then lunch around Nilambur.

You can consider the Kanakpura - Chamaraj nagar route instead of Mysore road if you wish. Refer the Bangalore - calucut thread for details.
Old 30th August 2016, 00:04   #9709
BHPian

Thanks Arjithin. I have driven quite a number of times on the kanakapura - chamarajanagar road. I was actually thinking of that route.

I think the route and the guruvayur visit and stay are pretty much fixed. I now need some help with what should I do i alleppey for 5 days? Surely boat ride is one thing. I heard about a snake temple, some palace and an island nearby also some village where they make canoes and boats. A little info here will help a lot
Old 30th August 2016, 08:45   #9710
BHPian

Quote:
I heard about a snake temple
You might be referring to Mannarasala temple. I have been told Ayiramthengu is a good place.
Sorry for hijacking the thread

Last edited by sumeshmani : 30th August 2016 at 08:51.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:00   #9711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Alleppey the house boat,backwaters.
Alleppey KRISHNA temple is ancient and lovely. There is a strong linkage to Guruvayur temple. Not very far, just abt 10, 15 km from the boat race jetty point. Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th August 2016 at 16:57. Reason: Fixing broken quotes.
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:26   #9712
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arjithin and RenjitP!

I will visit guruvayoor on the way there as suggested. I didnt know it would take 5 hrs to reach alleppey from guruvayoor!!!

Any places of interest that we should visit in Alleppey? We will be there for about 5 days. It will be a great help if you could suggest please.

I dont know if I could have chosen some other place...since the weather seems to be hot. Will it be summer like hot??
We used to take the Mysore-Nanjangud-Nilambur-Guruvayoor route for our trips to Thrissur and we cross Guruvayur around 2:00 PM for a 5 AM start from Marathahalli. So a 9 hour estimation holds good with two decent breaks and crawling through Bandipur and Mudumalai enjoying the view.

From Guruvayoor, I would request you to try out the coastal route (NH-66). Head to Chavakkadu, Vadanapally and Kodungallur. I am not sure about the road conditions now, when I last traveled that way it was called NH-17, hope someone can give an update about the current road conditions. (https://goo.gl/maps/q6bwPa8gLQB2)

Cross Kodungallur and take a right after the two big bridges. Head towards Vypin (https://goo.gl/maps/vPS6TNEWsz42). This will be a change of scenery for you, crisscrossing canals all the way and lots of beaches just a few minutes away from the main road. Roads are good all the way to Vypin and as you near Vypin I would recommend filling up fuel because if you are lucky your kids can see the rare sight of a fishing boat tanking up from the same pump next to your car.

From Vypin you can drive your car into the ferry and cross over to Fort Kochi. There are lots of Chinese Fishing Nets in Vypin and Fort Kochi and you can enjoy watching the ships head in or out. From Fort Kochi you join NH 66 at Aroor (https://goo.gl/maps/b91yninRJLr) and proceed towards Alleppey.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:42   #9713
BHPian

Thanks Sun King for those excellent tips. Those recommendations mean I will have to leave guruvayoor soon after an early breakfast? What would be the time required to reach alleppey via the route you suggest?
Old 31st August 2016, 15:36   #9714
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to butt in.

Quote:
I think the route and the guruvayur visit and stay are pretty much fixed. I now need some help with what should I do i alleppey for 5 days?
If the time / date to reach Alleppey is not fixed, probably a trip to Athirappally waterfall (near Chalakudy) would be a worthwhile detour (if you haven't been there so far). In that case, if you leave Guruvayoor in the morning, you can be at the waterfall in a couple of hours. (Less than 100kms, if I am not mistaken). From there you can reach Alleppey via the usual Aluva, Edappally route. On return you can take Vypeen, Kodungallur route suggested by sun_king, so that you have round trip.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Alleppey KRISHNA temple is ancient and lovely. Not very far, just abt 10, 15 km from the boat race jetty point
By any chance would that be AMBALAPUZHA Krishna Temple (which would be about 15 kms from Alleppey?)

The only other thing which comes to my mind when thinking of Vembanad Lake is the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. I think Taj has a resort there.....
Old 31st August 2016, 15:54   #9715
BHPian

Thanks vrprabhu for those inputs. I just saw imagws of the arirhapally falls and instantly decided we have to see it. I would have probably missed if not for your suggestion. Thank you again. I will however like you have suggested take the ferry from kochi port to vypeen on the way back to bangalore

We have to reach alleppey on the 28th...just befor dinner time is ok if we can see the falls.

I dont know the name of the temple though. I will plan to visit the kumarakkom bird sanctuary for sure.

I heard about jatayu theme park in kovalam...would it be wise to plan a day out to kovalam from alleppey?

Last edited by Ravi Krish : 31st August 2016 at 15:58. Reason: Some more info to be added
Old 31st August 2016, 17:15   #9716
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome, Ravi Krish.

Athirappally to Chalakudy is a two lane road. But not much traffic. From Chalakudy to Edappalli is four laned (after crossing Aluva there will be some traffic, and will be hampered by the metro construction work going on). From Edappalli take by the by-pass (i.e. Vytilla Road). Once it ends, it will become two laned again, and it goes through Thuravoor, Cherthala and then Alappuzha.

Long time since I had gone beyond Trivandrum. So I'm not aware of the theme park. Alappuzha to Kovalam is likely to be 150+ km - route should be via Kayamkulam, Karunagappally, Chavara & Kollam. But it will be slow drive, as roads are two laned and fairly heavy traffic.

BTW, check out whether the ferry service between Alleppey and Kollam is functional (no vehicles allowed). Two hour ride by road is more than four hours by the ferry! So if you are tired of the house boat, probably a day can be spent thus...
Old 31st August 2016, 17:41   #9717
BHPian

New coastal, hill highways for state.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle9052925.ece
Land acquisition will be a nightmare.
Pequod is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 18:45   #9718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
You are welcome, Ravi Krish.

Athirappally to Chalakudy is a two lane road. But not much traffic. From Chalakudy to Edappalli is four laned (after crossing Aluva there will be some traffic, and will be hampered by the metro construction work going on). From Edappalli take by the by-pass (i.e. Vytilla Road). Once it ends, it will become two laned again, and it goes through Thuravoor, Cherthala and then Alappuzha.

Long time since I had gone beyond Trivandrum. So I'm not aware of the theme park. Alappuzha to Kovalam is likely to be 150+ km - route should be via Kayamkulam, Karunagappally, Chavara & Kollam. But it will be slow drive, as roads are two laned and fairly heavy traffic.

BTW, check out whether the ferry service between Alleppey and Kollam is functional (no vehicles allowed). Two hour ride by road is more than four hours by the ferry! So if you are tired of the house boat, probably a day can be spent thus...
Thanks again. I am pretty sceptical about long boat rides. I checked with the jatayu park guys and they say it will take 6 more months to throw it open for public.
Old 31st August 2016, 19:17   #9719
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vrprabhu for those inputs. I just saw imagws of the arirhapally falls and instantly decided we have to see it. I would have probably missed if not for your suggestion. Thank you again. I will however like you have suggested take the ferry from kochi port to vypeen on the way back to bangalore
I was trying to save you from a tedious Guruvayoor-Thrissur-Ernakulam route, not a fan . Too crowded and lots of block as we approach Ernakulam.

Now that you wish to see Athirapilly falls, let me give another option. Take the Vypin route towards Alapuzha, driving time should be less than four hours if not stopping much. On the return head to Chalakkudy, turn towards Athirapilly and continue on the same road to reach Pollachi. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...chalakudy.html -- in the opposite direction!) This *is* an extremely scenic route and lots of chances to encounter some gaur and elephants. From Pollachi, pick any route to Bangalore!
Old 31st August 2016, 21:03   #9720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
From Pollachi, pick any route to Bangalore!
The quickest would be Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai and then merge with the toll road (NH 47/NH 7). Excellent roads with low to moderate traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks