Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 20:30   #10546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Any restaurant recommendations on the Dindigul-Thekkady route?Simple Veg food with clean toilets would do.thanks in advance.
Green Kitchen at Theni on the Cumbum road is a good place.Google reviews seem to suggest the place is good .Did not stop at the place but looked clean,else go to Gopala Krishna Vilas popularly known as Bodi Iyer hotel.Amazing food,place has been featured on many food and travel shows too.http://bodiiyerhotel.com
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 20:59   #10547
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi friends

Planning to do a 900km round trip in a day, with family, Bangalore-nilambur-palakkad-Bangalore on the coming Monday . Looks a little hectic, so need inputs from regular travellers on this routes wether its doable. Since its my first trip via Nilambur, would need info on road conditions also. The reason for a trip is a wedding in Nilambur followed by a business meeting in palakkad.

The plan is to start from bangalore around 3-4am to nilambur. The wedding is at around 11am-12pm.
1.Will I be able to reach by say around 10am, so that I can get an hour or so to get ready. Wifey and 7yr old kid will be there. So need that time..
2.How is the road condition from bangalore to nilambur via mysore>nanjanagudu. Any other better routes?
3. Also is there any time restriction for vehicles in Bandipur forest area. If so what time do they open in the morning? With a 3am start will I be able to make it through without having to wait?
4. How safe is this route for such a early morning trip?

Post wedding, the plan is to start by around 1-2pm to Wadakkenchery in Palakkad. Google shows 90kms and 2.5hrs. So how is the road condition from Nilambur to Wadakenchery. Hoping to reach by 4pm and close the meeting by 5-6pm and start from there. Will be coming back via coimbatore. This route I have travelled recently, just last month. So no issues even if I reach back a little late.

FundaG
Old 8th May 2017, 21:26   #10548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Hi friends
The plan is to start from bangalore around 3-4am to nilambur. The wedding is at around 11am-12pm.
1.Will I be able to reach by say around 10am, so that I can get an hour or so to get ready. Wifey and 7yr old kid will be there. So need that time..
2.How is the road condition from bangalore to nilambur via mysore>nanjanagudu. Any other better routes?
3. Also is there any time restriction for vehicles in Bandipur forest area. If so what time do they open in the morning? With a 3am start will I be able to make it through without having to wait?
4. How safe is this route for such a early morning trip?
I do the following times: From home to BM Road beyond NICE junction: 45 min, to MRR exit on to NH 212: 1h 45min, to CCD at Gundlupet: 45 min for a total of about 3.5 hours till Gundlupet.

From Bandipur to Nilambur via Gudalur it takes about 2.5 hours.

The unknowns are three: (a) Gundlupet to Bandipur entry where road widening work happening, (b) Gudalur town which is a bit messy, and (c) the KA-TN state border where a pileup could occur at that time of the day. Still, overall I don't see you taking more than 7 hours (non-stop, or minimal-stop) from Bangalore to Nilambur.

The roads are good throughout except (a) the widening work, and (b) a short stretch between Nadugani junction and TN-KL border. No better routes.

The forest route opens at 6 AM I believe, so you are in good time - you will miss the first rush of vehicles that have been waiting overnight.

There are no safety concerns, except two-wheelers and autos that jump out from pocket roads onto the highway and drive the wrong way. :-) There might be some animal movement in the forest; remember they have the right of way.

Quote:
Post wedding, the plan is to start by around 1-2pm to Wadakkenchery in Palakkad. Google shows 90kms and 2.5hrs. So how is the road condition from Nilambur to Wadakenchery. Hoping to reach by 4pm and close the meeting by 5-6pm and start from there. Will be coming back via coimbatore. This route I have travelled recently, just last month. So no issues even if I reach back a little late.
You sure of Palakkad Vadakkanchery (spelt with a V) or is it Thrissur Wadakkenchery (spelt with a W)? For both you come to Perinthalmanna from Nilambur and take different routes. I imagine the Thrissur one is closer and could be reachable in 2.5 hours, but the Palakkad one is probably farther and might take longer. Please check.

Palakkad to Bangalore is a 6-7 hours non-stop drive under best conditions. If you are starting from Vadakkanchery add 30 minutes, and from Wadakkenchery 1 hour. Factor in food, fuel etc. stops and you might be back in Bangalore by 3 AM or so.

This looks like a very hectic day; maybe you should consider breaking it into two days.

Last edited by binand : 8th May 2017 at 21:27.
Old 8th May 2017, 21:38   #10549
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to do a 900km round trip in a day, with family, Bangalore-nilambur-palakkad-Bangalore on the coming Monday .
Is it possible ? The answer is yes, but the bigger question to ask and answer is "should you really do this ?" At least the last part of returning to Bangalore if postponed to next day, it should be better, much better actually.

Out of compulsion and an emergency situation I did a one day Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore trip on a Sunday not too long ago, but the choice of timing and Fastag helped a lot (upto Thoppur on the return leg was fine, but then Thoppur-Bangalore wasn't so great). And this was all on 4 and 6 laned roads (and very well rested on previous day).

Coming to your plan:
1. I think the Bandipur forest gate opens at 6am

2. 4 hours to Gundlupet via Mysore-Nanjangud, another 3 hours to Nilambur. Remember roads get narrow once you get past Gundlupet into Bandipur, Mudumalai and Gudalur-Nilambur. Not many options for breaks except maybe CCD's and McDonalds on the Bangalore-Mysore route.
So, 3am start should get you to Nilambur around 10, with a short 15-30 minute break en route.
Roads are good, but saw a post about the left lane ending abruptly near Gundlupet, watch out, drive carefully.

3. Get adequate rest and sleep the previous day.

4. Try to stay overnight at Palakkad and return next day, if possible.At any point in the evening while at Palakkad or en route, if you feel tired, simply halt overnight, there are quite a few options on the Coimbatore-Bangalore route.

Last edited by NPV : 8th May 2017 at 21:40.
Old 8th May 2017, 21:40   #10550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Nilambur is a 6- 7hr drive,not more than that .Nilambur to Palakkad would take you around 2-2.5hours(approx 100kms to Palakkad railway station from Nilambur Bus stand).Get onto the Thrissur highway from Olavakkode(palakkad railway station) and continue towards Vadakkencheri.The 4laning is complete between Chandranagar(Palakkad) and Vadakkencheri.Palakkad Vadakkencheri would not take more than 30mins. From Nilambur take the route via Wandoor Pandikkad Perinthalmanna Manarkkad Mundur Palakkad.Roads are good,nothing to worry.Budget for a 3.5hr drive from Nilambur to Vadakkencheri to be on the safer side
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 21:53   #10551
BHPian

As binand mentioned, it's doable under 7hrs. Roads are in good condition tiil bandipur except some small stretches of road widening and you can maintain good speed. As you might already know, from bandipur till nilambur, roads are narrower and with twists, turns & humps compared to the road tiil Bandipur,. So, expect slower average speed after that. But road conditions are decent for most part.

Since you are waking up so early and doing a lot of day time driving in kerala, it can be tiring depending on your car and your long distance driving experience. So chances of sleepiness on the return driving on straight wide stretches in TN is high. So, if you are not confident enough, I also would suggest you to take a break and return back next day early morning.
Old 8th May 2017, 22:03   #10552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You sure of Palakkad Vadakkanchery (spelt with a V) or is it Thrissur Wadakkenchery (spelt with a W)?
It is the other way round.
Palakkad District has Vadakkencheri
Thrissur District has Wadakancheri.
Old 8th May 2017, 23:11   #10553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends

Planning to do a 900km round trip in a day, with family, Bangalore-nilambur-palakkad-Bangalore on the coming Monday . Looks a little hectic, so need inputs from regular travellers on this routes wether its doable. Since its my first trip via Nilambur, would need info on road conditions also. The reason for a trip is a wedding in Nilambur followed by a business meeting in palakkad.
The Gudalur-Nilambur stretch is pretty tiring as it consists of heavily winding roads-especially the Nadugani ghats. Nilambur to 'W/V'adakkancheri is also going to be tiring as you would be driving after a wedding lunch in the peak summer.

Even if you do the complete round trip and reach back Bangalore at 2/3am I doubt you can be very productive the next day.

As others have adviced, would recommend to break journey at Palakkad or Coimbatore and start back the next day early morning.
Old 9th May 2017, 00:24   #10554
BHPian

Quote:

You sure of Palakkad Vadakkanchery (spelt with a V) or is it Thrissur Wadakkenchery (spelt with a W)? For both you come to Perinthalmanna from Nilambur and take different routes. I imagine the Thrissur one is closer and could be reachable in 2.5 hours, but the Palakkad one is probably farther and might take longer. Please check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is it possible ? The answer is yes, but the bigger question to ask and answer is "should you really do this ?" At least the last part of returning to Bangalore if postponed to next day, it should be better, much better actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bangalore Nilambur is a 6- 7hr drive,not more than that .Nilambur to Palakkad would take you around 2-2.5hours(approx 100kms to Palakkad railway station from Nilambur Bus stand).Get onto the Thrissur highway from Olavakkode(palakkad railway station) and continue towards Vadakkencheri.The 4laning is complete between Chandranagar(Palakkad) and Vadakkencheri.Palakkad Vadakkencheri would not take more than 30mins. From Nilambur take the route via Wandoor Pandikkad Perinthalmanna Manarkkad Mundur Palakkad.Roads are good,nothing to worry.Budget for a 3.5hr drive from Nilambur to Vadakkencheri to be on the safer side
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Gudalur-Nilambur stretch is pretty tiring as it consists of heavily winding roads-especially the Nadugani ghats. Nilambur to 'W/V'adakkancheri is also going to be tiring as you would be driving after a wedding lunch in the peak summer.

Even if you do the complete round trip and reach back Bangalore at 2/3am I doubt you can be very productive the next day.

As others have adviced, would recommend to break journey at Palakkad or Coimbatore and start back the next day early morning.
Thanks all.. That was pretty required information. And thanks for correcting me - It is Vadakkenchery (near to alathur) that I am planning to go. So let me see how I can work it out. I do long drives and might be able to manage this trip, but family might not be able to handle it. Especially my 7yr old.

FundaG
Old 9th May 2017, 18:00   #10555
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all.. That was pretty required information. And thanks for correcting me - It is Vadakkenchery (near to alathur) that I am planning to go. So let me see how I can work it out. I do long drives and might be able to manage this trip, but family might not be able to handle it. Especially my 7yr old.

FundaG
Long drives in Kerala at daytime that to on an undivided stretch is not the same story!

Quote:
From Nilambur take the route via Wandoor Pandikkad Perinthalmanna Manarkkad Mundur Palakkad.Roads are good,nothing to worry.Budget for a 3.5hr drive from Nilambur to Vadakkencheri to be on the safer side
Since it is Vadakkencherry it may take anything between 3 to 3.5 hours especially on a weekday.
I would suggest Nilambur ~ Perinthalmanna ~ Cherplulassery ~ Ottapalam ~ Pazhayannur ~ Puthucode ~ Vadakkencherry. This will be the least crowded and the shortest one but then Perinthalmanna ~ Cherpulassery had some rough patches.
The second best one would be Nilambur ~ Perinthalmanna ~ Mannarkad ~ Mundur ~ Mundur Kootupatha ~ Parli ~ Kottayi ~ Kuzhalmannam ~ Vadakkencherry. Good roads all along but the roads will be crowded until Mundur.

Cheers!
Old 9th May 2017, 18:31   #10556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Perinthalmanna ~ Cherpulassery had some rough patches.
All those rough patches are gone. It is one smooth road now. The only rough patch on this road is between Mangalamkunnu-Kongad (towards Mundur-Palakkad), which is not taken when going from Perinthalmanna to Ottapalam.
Old 10th May 2017, 07:59   #10557
BHPian

Quote:
All those rough patches are gone. It is one smooth road now.
Oh, that is a relief now!

Quote:
The only rough patch on this road is between Mangalamkunnu-Kongad (towards Mundur-Palakkad), which is not taken when going from Perinthalmanna to Ottapalam.
I made a mistake of taking this route during last Christmas from Mundur to Perinthalmanns through Cherplaserry.
Newly laid wide roads from Mundur to few kms after Kongad was a pleasure to drive; from then on to Mangalamkunnu it was terrible especially near Kadambazhipuram.

Cheers
Old 14th May 2017, 05:58   #10558

There are two hotels immediately after the abandoned toll in dindigul. They are the best best from Dindigul on. You can check out Aryaas just before Gudalur. There is also a newly constructed restaurant just after gudalur. Of course the best is the Aryaas in Theni.

Quote:
Green Kitchen at Theni on the Cumbum road is a good place.Google reviews seem to suggest the place is good .Did not stop at the place but looked clean,else go to Gopala Krishna Vilas popularly known as Bodi Iyer hotel.Amazing food,place has been featured on many food and travel shows too.http://bodiiyerhotel.com
Old 14th May 2017, 23:14   #10559
BHPian

Again Paliyekkara in news. It seems authorities are going to strictly implement 5 vehicle in lane rule.
Details in Mathrubhumi daily

http://www.google.co.in/amp/english....humi-1.1937867

When we can expect this in Krishnagiri or Thoppur.

Last edited by kavu75 : 14th May 2017 at 23:17.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:39   #10560
Senior - BHPian

The stretch of the highway between Chalakudy and Angamaly and between Angamaly and Chalakudy is being relaid.Tarring works have begun so expect delays.It took me 3.5 hours between Edappally and Thrissur yesterday in the evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks