Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 11:20   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
though business trip, can we expect trademark travelogue?
Nothing much to add, no pictures, camera was taken by my wife and kids for the wedding shoot.

However, a couple of ineresting points I found:

After Pazhambalakkod, I found the road turn off to the famous Thiruvilvamala Temple, its on a hill top, wanted to see it, will do it next time. A lot of foreigners have written very postively about rustic Kerala in and around this temple and Pazyanoor.

I did not know the existance of IVOR MATHOM, my driver told me its one of the holiest places in Kerala, the Pandavas did pooja for their AYUDH / tools on the Bharathapuza rive bank. Lots of people come from all over Kerala to do Ayudh Pooja here.

There is also Kunjan Smarak near here and a museum; Kumjan Nambian was one of the most famous Poets of Kerala.

I was bombed, never knew these places, so close to Nemmarah. Worth visiting next time we drive down home.

--

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th January 2009 at 11:21.
Old 18th January 2009, 11:44   #512
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
After Pazhambalakkod, I found the road turn off to the famous Thiruvilvamala Temple, its on a hill top, wanted to see it, will do it next time. A lot of foreigners have written very postively about rustic Kerala in and around this temple and Pazyanoor.
More info:-

You can reach Thiruvilwamala by turning off the PKD - Ottapalam state highway from Lakkidi.

Or from PKD - Trichur NH 47 by entering the Alathur town and take the scenic road through the paddy fiends to Pazhayannur and then reach Thiruvilwamala.

Quote:
Kumjan Nambian was one of the most famous Poets of Kerala.
Err... it is Kunjan Nambiar.
Old 18th January 2009, 11:48   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
More info:-

You can reach Thiruvilwamala by turning off the PKD - Ottapalam state highway from Lakkidi.

Or from PKD - Trichur NH 47 by entering the Alathur town and take the scenic road through the paddy fiends to Pazhayannur and then reach Thiruvilwamala.

Err... it is Kunjan Nambiar.
Sorry for the typho and thanks, yes its Kunjan Nambiar.

It was too dark in the morning for me to see the scenes, but people say Pazyanoor and around has one of the most beautiful vistas of Kerala.

===
Old 18th January 2009, 22:50   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Hey guys,

Planning a trip to palani hills , took the help of yahoo maps . It suggested to go through kollam chenkota route. Entering it through tenmala -palode roads and into tamilnadu through pudur and panboli . It shows the route through virudunagar , sivagiri , rajapalayam , madurai , usalampetti , sevugampatti , ayyampalayam . I havent travelled in this route before , very anxious about condition of kollam chenkotta route . Dont know whether it is in good shape from tenmala side.

Please throw some light on the route and its condition .
The shortest and most scenic route to Madurai and/or its environs from Trivandrum is via Nedumangad, Madathara, Thenmala, Aryankavu, Chenkotta, Rajapalayam. The road is very good all the way except for a 20 km stretch from Thenmala to the eastern side of the Ghats beyond Aryankavu till the S-curve at the end of the ghat section. This stretch was horrible when I went on it around October 08, the entire surface was missing and there were huge craters all along.
TVM-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai: TVM-Nagercoil is now quite bad and anyway the traffic is horrible at all times of the day and night.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:28   #515
BHPian

Has anybody tried Coimbatore - Chavady - Velanthavalam - Chittur road recently? How's that road now? Last time i took that route was 12 years back!
I might be travelling via Chittur next week.

-- Torqy
Old 19th January 2009, 00:35   #516
Senior - BHPian

^Went few times during November 2008.the road was as usual pathetic in many parts.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:23   #517

Folks, Drove Ernakulam-Kovalam beach-Parassala-Nagercoil=Tirunelveli-Madurai-Palani-Pollachi-Palakkad in a Gypsy 413W first week 09. Roads were good enough except at parts where construction was on. Joined the NH (from Kovalam at Parassala, so not sure if there are problem areas before that) Cheers!
Old 21st January 2009, 13:57   #518
BHPian

I'm driving from Bangalore to Cochin via Palakkad tomorrow.
Which route would you guys recommend?
Salem OR Mettur?

-- Torqy
Old 21st January 2009, 14:06   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
So true.

Took the same old route; via Mysore. Not recommended if you are traveling with family. It took 10 hrs for us to reach Cochin, including 3 breaks (15 min for tea, 45 mins break for breakfast and 10 mins for tender coconut). It takes less time compared to the other (Coimbatore) route. The worst part is, the travelers almost vomited by the time we reached Nilambur. The roads are so uneven/bad (in a very few stretches - Gundalpet-Bandipur, Nadugani-Kerala Border and a small part of NH-17) and twisty which makes the travelers so tired. But myself, being the driver, enjoyed the twisties and full potential of multijet diesel.

I will be travelling via Coimbatore next time.
Hi TomRider/vsbabu,

I am travelling on 30th to Guruvayoor and intend to take this route (driving a scorp). I am familiar with the route till Gudalur (including the pathetic Gundulpet-Bandipur stretch). How bad is the Nadugani-Kerala border stretch as compared to Gd'pet section?

Also, not clear about the route from Nilambur - do I drive down to Manjeri - Mallapuram - Perinthalmanna? I noticed on MMI there is another road via Wandoor from Nilambur to Perinthalmanna which seems shorter - any idea of this stretch?

Last query: what would be approx driving time from Nilambur to Guruvayoor?

As far as twisties are concerned, my family loves them, so no issue there!

Look forward to your response.

Cheers,
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:45   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I'm driving from Bangalore to Cochin via Palakkad tomorrow.
Which route would you guys recommend?
Salem OR Mettur?

-- Torqy
I am also keen to know the salem route. Any updates. Last I heard was that it is almost done up. It is wise to take via salem?.
Via mettur is not bad at all. Do not know about this month though.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:39   #521
BHPian

I am planning to drive down to Cochin tomorrow evening and am thinking of taking the Mettur - Ammapettai - Sathyamangalam - cbe route. Does anyone has any info on the drivability on this route especially since I wil be passing this at night and am with my family.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:01   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi TomRider/vsbabu,

I am travelling on 30th to Guruvayoor and intend to take this route (driving a scorp). I am familiar with the route till Gudalur (including the pathetic Gundulpet-Bandipur stretch). How bad is the Nadugani-Kerala border stretch as compared to Gd'pet section?

Also, not clear about the route from Nilambur - do I drive down to Manjeri - Mallapuram - Perinthalmanna? I noticed on MMI there is another road via Wandoor from Nilambur to Perinthalmanna which seems shorter - any idea of this stretch?

Last query: what would be approx driving time from Nilambur to Guruvayoor?

As far as twisties are concerned, my family loves them, so no issue there!

Look forward to your response.

Cheers,
Go ahead and enjoy the trip if you drive a Scorpio. And if you are comfortable with the Gundulpet-Bandipur streach, you will not be disappointed anywhere else. The rest are easily manageable.

You can either take Nilambur-> Manjeri-> Malappuram-> Kottakkal-> Perumpilavu-> Guruvayur (it is NH17 from Kottakkal) (around 100 kms - slightly uneven roads - i think a Scorpio can take it - and a very narrow section were a bridge construction is going on).

OR Nilambur-> Wandoor-> Perinthalmanna-> Pattambi-> Perumpilavu-> Guruvayur (NH17 starts from Perumpilavu) (around 130 kms - slightly better roads, but there are some really bad stretches which will remond you the Gundulpet-Bandipur road).

After around 5-6 kms from Nilambur, the road will split into "Y". The right (main road) goes to Manjeri and will take a roundabout to join NH17 and then Perumpilavu. But the left (a not-so-wide upslope) goes to Wandoor and takes to Perumpilavu in less distance.

Am I too explicate to make you confused? If so, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Tom.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:03   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I am planning to drive down to Cochin tomorrow evening and am thinking of taking the Mettur - Ammapettai - Sathyamangalam - cbe route. Does anyone has any info on the drivability on this route especially since I wil be passing this at night and am with my family.
The roads are decent and can cruise at 100-120 kmph with ease. AFAIC, this is the route recommended if you are traveling with family.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:34   #524
BHPian

Just got back from Chennai over the weekend! Tamil Nadu roads are amazing! was such a pleasure. from Krishnagiri head past the ghat section to the turn towards the Mettur dam. Avoid Sathyamangalam road at night and especially if you are traveling with family. Its very sparsely populated so just in case you do need some help it would be hard to come by. from Perundurai some construction work (highways) which would require one to take some sudden diversions. be careful if you are doing this section at night.Coimbatore Palakkad is as usual good on the TN side and rough on the Kerala side. Drive Safe.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:47   #525
BHPian

Hey Tom,

Thanks a ton for the details. I think I will opt for the Wandoor route (read somewhere it is quite scenic too). I guess the Nilambur-guruvayoor ride should be around 3 hours, right?

I will take a rain-check on your invitation to PM you; will do so if some other query pops up ;-).

Cheers & have a good time in Kodai! (OT: saw your query for hotels in Kodai; check out HolidayIQ.com, they provide contact details too)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks