Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 16:17   #2101
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post

Initially the Jam seems to be ok and controlled, and was doubting to take the Chavadi route or not.. But after crossing the checkpost exit barrier, both directions got equally jammed and could not take a turn

BTW, how long is the alternate Chavadi-Kanjikode-Palakad route..
It is not Chavadi- Pollachi Road, but KG Chavadi-Velanthavalam-Ahalya hospital - Kanjikkode. You will be adding around 8 kms IIRC

But if you are going to Trichur, if not for a bridge under repair in between, from Velanthavalam you could have gone straight via Chittur-Tathamangalam-Alathur(hit NH47)-Trichur. The road is in good condition, though narrower than an NH . No need to get back to the Coimbatore-Palakkad road. Will update once the bridge work is complete
Old 4th January 2011, 16:31   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
It is not Chavadi- Pollachi Road, but KG Chavadi-Velanthavalam-Ahalya hospital - Kanjikkode. You will be adding around 8 kms IIRC

But if you are going to Trichur, if not for a bridge under repair in between, from Velanthavalam you could have gone straight via Chittur-Tathamangalam-Alathur(hit NH47)-Trichur. The road is in good condition, though narrower than an NH . No need to get back to the Coimbatore-Palakkad road. Will update once the bridge work is complete
The best way to find out the state of affairs at Walayar CP in advanace is to stop oncoming truckers (or cars) and query them on the condition, and take an early decision to turn off at KG Chavadi without getting hemmed in at Walayar without being able to extricate oneself!

Where exactly is this bridge under repair? Is it the same road that goes via Koduvayur?
Old 5th January 2011, 15:08   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Where exactly is this bridge under repair? Is it the same road that goes via Koduvayur?
Yes the road is the same one which goes via Koduvayur. But the bridge is much before that. It is around 3 kms before it hits the Palakkad-Pollachi highway
Old 8th January 2011, 10:41   #2104
BHPian

Can somebody tell me the Road conditions from Kasargod to Kochi NH17. My Friends are travelling right now on this stretch and they found quite a few pot holes near Kanhagad .a faster response would be appreciated.

HVK sir, you will be able to help me.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:22   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Can somebody tell me the Road conditions from Kasargod to Kochi NH17. My Friends are travelling right now on this stretch and they found quite a few pot holes near Kanhagad .a faster response would be appreciated.

From Nileswar to Thalasseri the road is very smooth. Beyond that, I don't have any first hand report. But I hope the potholes will be filled now mainly due to the Sabarimala season. Avoid driving up to Kozhikode during the peak timing.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 8th January 2011, 13:59   #2106
Senior - BHPian

I have an update from ranjitp1 who drove Palakkad-Kozikode-Mangalore this morning. He reported "pathetic" roads in North Kerala. Despite having left Palakkad at 5 am and crossed Kozhikode by 7 am, he has crossed Mangalore only at 1 pm (also thanks to heavy traffic), which tells you a lot about how bad the roads are till you cross into Karnataka (which has good roads).
Old 8th January 2011, 14:01   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Road from Vadakara to Koyilandy on this route is good. From Koyilandy to Kozhikkode(West hill-where the bypass starts) there are patches where the road is not very good. From West hill to Ramanattukara where the calicut bypass ends, it is good. Not travelled beyond this point recently
Old 8th January 2011, 14:09   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody tell me the Road conditions from Kasargod to Kochi NH17.
Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Paravur-Edapally is in good condition. Road as such is narrow, especially near Kodungallur.
Old 9th January 2011, 06:19   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
I was made to understand that roads to Kochi from Bangalore is BAD, but the road to calicut is fairly GOOD (I went 2 weeks back,Not as good before the rains). Why dont you take the road :
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Calicut - Edappal - Edapally - Kochi.

Bangalore Calicut drive time is 5.30 mts to 6 hrs (350 Kms), and another 3.30 mts to 4 hrs (210 Kms) will be Calicut - Kochi.

Time taken is almost same for both the routes.
I agree with you on Bangalore -- Calicut driving time. But Calicut -- Kochi is not that easy. I think this stretch will easily take 5 to 6 hours as one need to drive busy single lane NH17.
Regards,
Sarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Road from Vadakara to Koyilandy on this route is good. From Koyilandy to Kozhikkode(West hill-where the bypass starts) there are patches where the road is not very good. From West hill to Ramanattukara where the calicut bypass ends, it is good. Not travelled beyond this point recently
Thalassery to Calicut is in good condition except one or two places between Mahe and Thalassery.

Last edited by v12 : 9th January 2011 at 10:39.
Old 10th January 2011, 15:19   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Paravur-Edapally is in good condition. Road as such is narrow, especially near Kodungallur.
I drove from Angamaly - Paravur - Kodungallur (via Cochin Intl. Airport) & upto Chavakkad / GVR on the NH-17 on 31st Dec. Yes the NH 17 is very narrow near kodungallur and had to drive slowly on the narrow stretches.

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 10th January 2011 at 15:20.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:06   #2111
Senior - BHPian

I am at Kottayam now. Need to drive to Bangalore tomorrow evening/night.

Planning to take Dindigul route for the first time. Any idea about the road conditions?
Old 10th January 2011, 22:10   #2112

Hi all, I need help on the best posible way to reach Kochi from Bangalore. I intend to start at 7am. I will be driving a Santro. Please let me know best route in good condition now. Will be driving on 17th which is a Monday
Old 10th January 2011, 22:48   #2113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmaddy View Post
Hi all, I need help on the best posible way to reach Kochi from Bangalore. I intend to start at 7am. I will be driving a Santro. Please let me know best route in good condition now. Will be driving on 17th which is a Monday
As I answered your query on the other thread Monday morning at 7 is too late start. Start early to beat the office traffic.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:17   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As I answered your query on the other thread Monday morning at 7 is too late start. Start early to beat the office traffic.
Totally Agree. On any working day, you need to cross Hosur before 7 AM. Otherwise, you will be following numerous company buses 5 kms on either side of Hosur town and school traffic. Apart from this, you will cross Salem around noon which is again a heavier traffic time there because of many shift ends of schools, colleges, offices and factories. And by the time you enter Kerala, it will be again countering evening peak-traffic times.
Old 11th January 2011, 08:25   #2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Totally Agree. On any working day, you need to cross Hosur before 7 AM. Otherwise, you will be following numerous company buses 5 kms on either side of Hosur town and school traffic. Apart from this, you will cross Salem around noon which is again a heavier traffic time there because of many shift ends of schools, colleges, offices and factories. And by the time you enter Kerala, it will be again countering evening peak-traffic times.
Thanks
Can you suggest where we need to stop for breakfast, lunch and tea break.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks