Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 11:34   #2341
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Heard from one of my friend that you can actually go further upto Saravanampatty and then take a left to airport from there. This road joins the airport road, from where, if you take another left(which is a 6 lane road) , it joins LT bye pass . This way, you can avoid the 10 kms of 2 lane road from karumathampatty to LT bye pass.
hey joe

Can you please mark this route in google maps and paste a screenshot? Would be very helpful. Too much toll to pay on NH7
Old 14th May 2011, 11:42   #2342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
hey joe

Can you please mark this route in google maps and paste a screenshot? Would be very helpful. Too much toll to pay on NH7
Hi,
The route which I mentioned is some thing which my friend told me about . I havent travelled on this route,

There is a different route which, too, according to my friend, is even better .This route deviates from the Sathy cbe route at a place called Kurumbapalayam. I am pasting the gmaps link for a route from sathy to cbe airport.On this route, if you proceed, you can hit the older NH47 (which passes thru cbe.

Sathyamangalam, Tamil Nadu to Airport Rd, Vidya Nagar, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

On meeting this 6 lane road, take a left and then you hit the LT bye pass
Old 14th May 2011, 12:05   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi,
The route which I mentioned is some thing which my friend told me about . I havent travelled on this route,

There is a different route which, too, according to my friend, is even better .This route deviates from the Sathy cbe route at a place called Kurumbapalayam. I am pasting the gmaps link for a route from sathy to cbe airport.On this route, if you proceed, you can hit the older NH47 (which passes thru cbe.

Sathyamangalam, Tamil Nadu to Airport Rd, Vidya Nagar, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

On meeting this 6 lane road, take a left and then you hit the LT bye pass
Thanks joe. think i should be taking the road marked as avinashi road in this map to hit the L&T byepass road
Old 14th May 2011, 17:40   #2344
BHPian

Hi guys.
Have some road trouble again!!!
Traveling from Munnar to Sawantwadi (Near Goa) on the 17th May 2011.
One route is the conventional NH17 all the way to Sawantwadi. Also hears that this is being worked on and hence better to avoid.
Any other routes that I can take maybe via NH4 etc.
@ Ranjit1. Thanks mate. I will post all the pics and reviews once i return.
Cheers!!
Old 15th May 2011, 09:05   #2345
BANNED

This is on roads inside KL.

Couple of new roads - may interest people.

1. Ottappalam is now connected to Mayannur - now, distance from Ottapalam to Chelakkara (on Wadakkancherry - Pazahayannur state road) is hardly 2 KM.

2. New road to Gosree islands from NH47. This one starts on your right just before Premier junction (after SCMS) on NH47. If you are taking the NH 17, turn right just after the Varapuzha bridge. (both assuming you are entering Cochin from North). Slightly longer, but absolutely traffic less upto High Court junction - you count out the once in a while container traffic.

Saves you the bumper to bumper traffic if you want to enter the city from Aluva or beyond.

Fantastic road, good view. Took this road from Varapuzha couple of weeks back, and was caught in a thunder storm!!! Boy!!! it was a sight to behold - you could see the lighting streaks from the horizon to the sky. All family members got a right royal fright!!!!
Old 15th May 2011, 09:17   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post

This is again toll free road and by taking a deviation from Gundalpet, I could avoid Mysore road.

Regards,
Sarin
I am interested in this as Mysore road is a mess during peak hours. Can you please give the details?
Old 15th May 2011, 13:18   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am interested in this as Mysore road is a mess during peak hours. Can you please give the details?
Sure. Just after the intersection of Ooty road and road to Sultan Battery, towards Mysore, there is a road on your right. That road will directly take you to Chamarajnagar. From Chamarajnagar the route is the following Chamarajnagar -- Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakapura - Bangalore. Roads are very good but single lane. At every major point, its better to ask for next destination. In some places directions are not marked properly. From Chamarajnagar just make sure that you are on NH 209.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 10:08   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This is on roads inside KL.

Couple of new roads - may interest people.

1. Ottappalam is now connected to Mayannur - now, distance from Ottapalam to Chelakkara (on Wadakkancherry - Pazahayannur state road) is hardly 2 KM.
Yes, I read that in the newspapers, but do you think it will help any of us long-distnce tarvellers going to Guruvayur or Trissur. I see that if you are going to Guruvayur from Palakakd side, it is better to continue from Ottapalam to Shoranur and go via Pattambi and Perumpilavu to Kunnamkulam.

And if you are going to Trissur, better to go via Shoranur to Wadakancherry and Trissur.

Or am I missing something?

Quote:
2. New road to Gosree islands from NH47. This one starts on your right just before Premier junction (after SCMS) on NH47. If you are taking the NH 17, turn right just after the Varapuzha bridge. (both assuming you are entering Cochin from North). Slightly longer, but absolutely traffic less upto High Court junction - you count out the once in a while container traffic.
Is it a new bridge or the same bridge from NH17 to Vypeen? At Premier junction, sign boards indicate Paravur?
Old 16th May 2011, 10:25   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Is it a new bridge or the same bridge from NH17 to Vypeen? At Premier junction, sign boards indicate Paravur?

I guess this is the road to the Vallarpadam container terminal that joins NH17.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:30   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I guess this is the road to the Vallarpadam container terminal that joins NH17.
Yes it is. This route is pretty long but best one to take to avoid traffic.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:53   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Thanks joe. think i should be taking the road marked as avinashi road in this map to hit the L&T byepass road
For return from bangalore took the NICE road->Kanakapura->Chamrajnagar->Sathyamangalam->Annur->Karumbapalayam->kalapatti->sitra->avinasi road (6 lane) -> L& T byepass->Palakkad route to kochi

Took 9.5 hours to reach including a half hour break. Started by 2.30PM from bangalore. Could reach L&T byepass in 6 hours 20 mins from bangalore. Roads are fantastic all the way except a few kms after chamrajnagar. No toll to pay except at Nice road (20 rs for kanakapura road)
Old 17th May 2011, 17:55   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb View Post
Hi guys.
Have some road trouble again!!!
Traveling from Munnar to Sawantwadi (Near Goa) on the 17th May 2011.
One route is the conventional NH17 all the way to Sawantwadi. Also hears that this is being worked on and hence better to avoid.
Any other routes that I can take maybe via NH4 etc.
@ Ranjit1. Thanks mate. I will post all the pics and reviews once i return.
Cheers!!
I guess you are already on your way,the only other option is to drive to Bangalore and then till Belgaum on NH4 and then onto Sawantwadi via Amboli.Would be fast drive and excellent roads
Old 18th May 2011, 11:37   #2353
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, I read that in the newspapers, but do you think it will help any of us long-distnce tarvellers going to Guruvayur or Trissur. I see that if you are going to Guruvayur from Palakakd side, it is better to continue from Ottapalam to Shoranur and go via Pattambi and Perumpilavu to Kunnamkulam.
No, this is not very helpful for people travelling long distance. Just makes it easier for people around Mayannur / Chelakkara Wadakkancherry, etc, to reach Ottapalam easier.

Quote:
And if you are going to Trissur, better to go via Shoranur to Wadakancherry and Trissur.
The new bridge does not help here, AFAICT. I have not travelled this route; just that had been there couple of times before the new bridge / regulator came up. The roads are very picturesque anyway.

Quote:
is it a new bridge or the same bridge from NH17 to Vypeen? At Premier junction, sign boards indicate Paravur?
A new road connecting NH 47 and Gosree bridges has been laid. Most of it is through reclaimed land and / or islands which were previously unconnected. The western side of the Mulauvakad - Bolghatty islands series has been reclaimed for this road.

This road ends at the point where the first bridge in the Goshree bridges series on Ernakulam side ends. Again, this is useful either for people entering Ernakulam during day time - if you are between Aluva and Kalamassery any time between 8.30 AM and 8.00 PM on working days, and want to reach a point beyond Kaloor within the city, IMHO, this is the better option. You travel a bit longer, but still end up saving time.

En route, this road crosses NH 17 3 or 4 KMs before Edappaly end of NH 17 - that is, just after the Edappally end of the Varapuzha bridge. So, that "paravur" direction is accurate. But, for people wanting to go to Paravur before Aluva, it is still better to turn off from the junction between the Marthandavarma bridge and the aluva bridge across the distributaries of Periyar. You actually reach Varapuzha first, and then proceed to Paravur if you take this road from Kalamassery. Distance to Paravur again is a bit longer, but being good road, you save time. Have done both the Kalamassery - Aluva - Paravur and Kalamassery - New road - Varapuzha - Paravur on same day, so can vouch for this. Unfortunately, I am very bad at keeping logs when I have chatter boxes on board.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:52   #2354
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive down from Kodungalloor to bangalore via Nilambur - currently, I have two options to reach Gudalur.

1: Kunnamkulam - Perinthalmanna - pattikad -pandikad-wandur-vadapuram-Nilambur – Gudalur
2: Kunnamkulam - Perinthalmanna - pattikad - melatoor - karuvarakundu - kalikavu-pullangode - pookottumpadam-Nilambur –Gudalur

Any info which road will be better?

The other route I am considering is Palakkad-CBE - sathyamangalam-chamrajnagar-kellegal -kanakpura -Bangalore.

Considering the fact that the car will be driven slow (max 80 kmph) and lot of breaks en-route, which route will be better? We plan to start between 5-6 am, on a weekday (most probably May 31 or June 1st).

Last edited by theexperthand : 18th May 2011 at 11:55.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:53   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A new road connecting NH 47 and Gosree bridges has been laid. Most of it is through reclaimed land and / or islands which were previously unconnected. The western side of the Mulauvakad - Bolghatty islands series has been reclaimed for this road.

This road ends at the point where the first bridge in the Goshree bridges series on Ernakulam side ends. Again, this is useful either for people entering Ernakulam during day time - if you are between Aluva and Kalamassery any time between 8.30 AM and 8.00 PM on working days, and want to reach a point beyond Kaloor within the city, IMHO, this is the better option. You travel a bit longer, but still end up saving time.

En route, this road crosses NH 17 3 or 4 KMs before Edappaly end of NH 17 - that is, just after the Edappally end of the Varapuzha bridge. So, that "paravur" direction is accurate. But, for people wanting to go to Paravur before Aluva, it is still better to turn off from the junction between the Marthandavarma bridge and the aluva bridge across the distributaries of Periyar. You actually reach Varapuzha first, and then proceed to Paravur if you take this road from Kalamassery. Distance to Paravur again is a bit longer, but being good road, you save time. Have done both the Kalamassery - Aluva - Paravur and Kalamassery - New road - Varapuzha - Paravur on same day, so can vouch for this. Unfortunately, I am very bad at keeping logs when I have chatter boxes on board.
That was a very useful and detailed update, thanks for that. Must try this route next time am in the area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks