Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 13:25   #4201
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
I am reluctant to take the route via Mysore because of the protest near Mandya effecting Bangalore - Mysore highway. Is there any alternate route to Mysore without touching Mandya.
My friend did Bangalore -Mysore on 7th Sunday. No issues, also if you starting from Bangalore you can plan in a way as to cross Mandya before ~ 5 AM.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:59   #4202
BHPian

hello everyone,

Wanted some info on the route between Mangalore and Kochi. I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kochi via kasargod sometime this month. I know that the ghat section before mangalore is pretty bad. Are there any other bad stretches to look out for between Mangalore and Kochi. I have done Tirur - Kochi a couple of months ago but clueless about the rest of the stretch.

part of the reason to do this stretch is to avoid any untoward incidents in relation to cauvery issue on the TN side. Thought, I might as well take a round about and stop at Bekal and do some sightseeing along the way to Kochi.

Any inputs welcome.
Old 10th October 2012, 21:59   #4203
BHPian

I am plannig a short vacation along with family during Oct 26th-28th (starting 26th morning and returing 28th eve). We have shortlisted Coorg, Wayanad or Rameswaram as possible destinations. Wayanad is comparatively closer (from Thrissur) as against other two places. But I would like to know which will be a better destination considering the current climate and road conditions? Appreciate if someone can suggest the best route to these locations from Thrissur with approx driving time.

We originally wanted to go to Mysore but dropped it in view of the ongoing Kavery issue. We are 4 adults - self, wife, parents + 2 yr old kid and I am going to be the only driver, driving a swift.
Old 10th October 2012, 22:26   #4204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Wayanad is comparatively closer (from Thrissur) as against other two places. But I would like to know which will be a better destination considering the current climate and road conditions? Appreciate if someone can suggest the best route to these locations from Thrissur with approx driving time.

You can try Valparai also. Its just about 150km from Trichur. Makes a nice getaway from the usual din of a regular tourist place. On the way you can also check Athirapally.
Old 10th October 2012, 22:58   #4205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

You can try Valparai also. Its just about 150km from Trichur. Makes a nice getaway from the usual din of a regular tourist place. On the way you can also check Athirapally.
Actually,.we did visit valparai, munnar last month
Old 11th October 2012, 05:54   #4206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover
I am plannig a short vacation along with family during Oct 26th-28th (starting 26th morning and returing 28th eve). We have shortlisted Coorg, Wayanad or Rameswaram as possible destinations. Wayanad is comparatively closer (from Thrissur) as against other two places. But I would like to know which will be a better destination considering the current climate and road conditions? Appreciate if someone can suggest the best route to these locations from Thrissur with approx driving time.

We originally wanted to go to Mysore but dropped it in view of the ongoing Kavery issue. We are 4 adults - self, wife, parents + 2 yr old kid and I am going to be the only driver, driving a swift.
The weather at Coorg is definitely going to be far better than what one can expect at Wayanad or Rameshwaram.You should be able to make it to Madikeri in approximately 7hrs from Thrissur.Plenty of accomodation options available depending on your budget.Wayanad is closest of the three at about 5hrs drive time.but both the places need atleast a good full two days to do justice to the places-Imho.even Rameswaram is a long drive for a 3day,one more day would have been perfect.my vote goes for Wayanad
Old 11th October 2012, 09:52   #4207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The weather at Coorg is definitely going to be far better than what one can expect at Wayanad or Rameshwaram.You should be able to make it to Madikeri in approximately 7hrs from Thrissur.Plenty of accomodation options available depending on your budget.Wayanad is closest of the three at about 5hrs drive time.but both the places need atleast a good full two days to do justice to the places-Imho.even Rameswaram is a long drive for a 3day,one more day would have been perfect.my vote goes for Wayanad
Thanks Ranjith. I may probably drop Rameswaram as the drive look very hectic for a 3 day plan. We cannot extend the vacation either.
It's a close call between Wayand and Coorg. Where should we stay if opting for Wayanad? The places of interest in Wayand seems to be spread over a large area.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:44   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjith. I may probably drop Rameswaram as the drive look very hectic for a 3 day plan. We cannot extend the vacation either.
It's a close call between Wayand and Coorg. Where should we stay if opting for Wayanad? The places of interest in Wayand seems to be spread over a large area.
Quote:
Depending on your budget,Wayanad has all kinds of places now a days.Vythiri is good to keep as your base,Green Gates resort is another nice place to stay if budget permits.Vythiri resort is good.If you want the normal hotel kind of stay then Mint at batheri is good,then there is Isaac Regency at Batheri.Windflower at Vythiri is also good.I would suggest stay at Vythiri and go around as its much more scenic.

Coorg would be a long drive imo,and roads are just about ok.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 12:25   #4209
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Need your expert advice on the route query from bangalore to Kochi, I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kochi airport on 12-Oct-12.

I am planning to do following route

Bangalore - Salem- CBE By pass- Palakad- Thrisur- Kochi Airport
which is appr 550 kms and planning to cover in 9 hrs with less break ( start time from bangalore ( Marthahalli around 2:00 PM )

how are roads in the above routes and do I need to take care of anything especially related to traffic. Also some where in the forum I read there is alternate route via Pollachi, does it save time and does it require lot of deviation from normal route.

many thanks in advance
Old 11th October 2012, 12:52   #4210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Hello Everyone,

Need your expert advice on the route query from bangalore to Kochi, I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kochi airport on 12-Oct-12.

I am planning to do following route

Bangalore - Salem- CBE By pass- Palakad- Thrisur- Kochi Airport
which is appr 550 kms and planning to cover in 9 hrs with less break ( start time from bangalore ( Marthahalli around 2:00 PM )

how are roads in the above routes and do I need to take care of anything especially related to traffic. Also some where in the forum I read there is alternate route via Pollachi, does it save time and does it require lot of deviation from normal route.

many thanks in advance
Since its an afternoon start,dont bother going via Pollachi,stick to NH47 till Palakkad.From Palakkad take the Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47-Angamaly-Nedumbassery Airport.

Do not continue on NH47 beyond Palakkad as the road is all broken up,hence the detour via Shoranur.

BLR-Salem: 3hrs

Salem-Avinashi:3hrs

Avinashi-Walayar:1.5-2hrs

Walayar-Palakkad:45mins

Palakkad-Shoranur-Thrissur:2hrs

Thrissur-Airport: 1hr

Heres the map of the detour from Walayar to Thrissur NH47.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=3&t=m&z=16
Old 11th October 2012, 17:41   #4211
BHPian

Hi,

See if this helps for your stay at Wayanad http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...li-blooms.html

I would anyday prefer a homestay. There are some good homestays at Meppadi. All the good waterfalls and some of the scenic routes are here. Try valley avenue homestay, we have stayed there couple of times.
http://www.valleyviewavenue.com/contact.html

Fauji had a good time at glenora homestay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:54   #4212
BHPian

Any repair work started in the Alappuzha-Kayamkulam stretch of NH ?
Old 12th October 2012, 16:20   #4213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan
Any repair work started in the Alappuzha-Kayamkulam stretch of NH ?
Yes. Travelled last Monday. Just regular patch work. No re tarring. Work is slow in progress. Expect bumpy rides.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:35   #4214
BHPian

Posting my Query from Kannur thread

I am completly new to north Kerala, I need to go to Bekal and I could not find an active thread for Bekal hence posting here. Can you suggest the best route options, please? I came across the following options going through the thread.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Baghamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal

2. Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna > (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board, Take the left from circle where you see board toards DUBARE Camp (do not miss) ) > iddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Koottupuzha Bridge, Thalassery Coorg Road > Iritty > Bekal.

3. Bangalore > Srirangapatna > Round about sharp turn to right > Elivala > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kampala pura > Periya patna > (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara(follow orange county board, Take the left from circle where you see board toards DUBARE Camp (do not miss) ) > iddapura > Ammathi town > Virajpet > Sulya > Bekal.

4. Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Nelyady - Bekal

5. Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Round about sharp turn to right - Elivala - Bilikere - Hunsur - Kampala pura - Periya patna - (Mysore - madikeri road) Kushalnagara - Madikeri - Sulya - Bekal

Can you also suggest the safest and scenic route?
Old 12th October 2012, 20:05   #4215
BHPian

@RSimonS, The option 1 is the shortest but due to the ongoing cauveri issue it is not good idear to drive through mysore road. My suggestion would be

Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur -Uppinangadi - Puttur - Vittal - Kasargod (town) - Bekal.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks