Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 12:28   #4846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Any recent updates on the stretch between avadi- walayar-mannuthy?
Work is still held up in this stretch of NH as land acqusition is not completed. Media reports suggests that last week Dist collector, Tsr issued final notice to the land owners to vacate land. Even highway encroachers are demanding compensation there.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 12:30   #4847
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Which route is the most pregnant woman friendly? I am assuming one with least no of potholes/speed breakers and one which is the most familiar to the driver.
I plan to start around 4 AM from Bangalore and take either the CBE route or the Palladam-Pollachi route. I haven't driven the Palladam route yet. Should I stick to CBE route? Or the Palladam route is so good that I should take it even though I havent driven that way? My speed limit will be 80kmph
The palladam route is much better in traffic and road condition as compared to the CBE-Palakkad route. CBE Route, the diversion in between Chengapally and CBE bypass are in much better condition now. The CBE L& T bypass, roads near the Wlayar check post will offer a bumpy ride. The road surface is not bad in any parts in the Palladam-Pollachi route. If you want to avoid the bad stretches in Kuthiran you might need to take the route Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakanchery-Athani-Thrissur which will add an extra 25 kms.
Quote:
Other option I am thinking of is to start around 6 PM, stay somewhere after Salem and continue the travel next day. Any suggestions on good accommodation between Salem and Bhavani?
The Saravana Bhavan complex in the Sankari bypass(Just before Vaikundam tol booth) has some good rooms at cheap rate. The place is called Travellers inn. I stayed there two times and the experience was really nice. It is exactly 33 kms from the CBE ramp in the Salem bypass. This is their website: http://www.travellersinn.net/.
Hotel Chennis in Perundurai is another option.(Never stayed there) (http://www.hotelchennis.com/index.htm)
Quote:
Return trip will be via CLT (overnight stay) and Mysore. I think I will take SH17 as its condition is better compared to the Gundlupt - Chamarajnagar section. This drive will be in day time.
In SH17 you might need to negotiate around 30 speed breakers and heavy traffic if you are coming in weekend. In the C'nagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura route the only bad stretch is in between Gundlupet and Chamrajnagar. This stretch does not have big potholes but the surface uneven which will offer a bumpy ride.

Last edited by denver85 : 12th March 2013 at 12:32. Reason: Added more details
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 14:16   #4848
BHPian

I have to drive down to Bangalore from Trivandrum on this month end. What about the update on stretch between Thirussur-Mannuthy-Palakkad and Coimbatore -Avinashi- Salem route. I heard there are some constructions going on between these routes and it takes time to cover these places.

I am also thinking to choose the Trivandrum-Nagercoil -Madurai-Nammakkal-Salem route

Please tell me which one is preferable with the driving and road conditions.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:57   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
I have to drive down to Bangalore from Trivandrum on this month end. What about the update on stretch between Thirussur-Mannuthy-Palakkad and Coimbatore -Avinashi- Salem route. I heard there are some constructions going on between these routes and it takes time to cover these places.
This route is not at all advisable if your starting point is beyond Alapuzha. The mad Kerala traffic in the daytime(Even at night these days) and the bad roads/road works in between Thrissur and Avinashi will ensure a tiring journey. So better avoid this route.
Quote:
I am also thinking to choose the Trivandrum-Nagercoil -Madurai-Nammakkal-Salem route
This is the best route from Trivandrum. The only problem is between Nagercoil and Trivandrum. The roads are narrow and traffic will be on a higher side in the daytime. If interested you can try the Trivandrum-Palode-Thenmala-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Srivillaputhur-Thirumangalam-Madurai-Salem-Bangalore. I have done this route solo in Feb and it took 10 hours 15 minutes with two breaks. Started from Mannanthala at 2.15 pm and reached my home in Bangalore(Marthahally) at 12.30 AM.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 15:06   #4850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
If interested you can try the Trivandrum-Palode-Thenmala-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Srivillaputhur-Thirumangalam-Madurai-Salem-Bangalore. I have done this route solo in Feb and it took 10 hours 15 minutes with two breaks. Started from Mannanthala at 2.15 pm and reached my home in Bangalore(Marthahally) at 12.30 AM.

Thanks denver85

I will prefer the Nagercoil one. On return I may choose the Tenkasi. I am staying at Sreekariyam ,so want to check before travelling this route for the first time.I usually choose the Thrissur-Palakkad-kovai-Avinashi-Salem route since my home is at Kottayam. But this time on a different route.

Thanks for the help
Old 12th March 2013, 22:26   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Found a Saravana Bhavan (Small, but looked like the Salem one) towards Salem immediately after Krishnagiri on left. Anyone being there?
Old 13th March 2013, 08:59   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I have to drive to Chalakudy with my pregnant wife (14 weeks) from Bangalore. Searched for the tips and found this thread
I was in the same situation back in March '11, so I went and asked my wife's obstetrician. Her advice? Don't. The linked thread should be treated strictly as advice for travelling with a pregnant woman when completely unavoidable.

The airfare from Bangalore to Kochi seems very competitive too (http://www.cleartrip.com/calendar/).
Old 13th March 2013, 10:20   #4853
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone has any latest updates on the route: Dindigul- Bodimettu- Munnar- Kothamangalam- Kochi?

Intended drive is on 26th of March
Old 13th March 2013, 10:27   #4854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has any latest updates on the route: Dindigul- Bodimettu- Munnar- Kothamangalam- Kochi?

Road widening still on between Dindigul & Theni.
Beyond that, roads are fine.
You can also avoid Munnar by doing Poopara-Rajakkad-Adimali.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:43   #4855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Road widening still on between Dindigul & Theni.
Beyond that, roads are fine.
You can also avoid Munnar by doing Poopara-Rajakkad-Adimali.
I hope that though road widening is in progress, the road is still safely motor able.

With priority being a good hassle free scenic drive, would you still recommend poopara- Rajakkad- Adimali ?
Old 13th March 2013, 10:50   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope that though road widening is in progress, the road is still safely motor able.

With priority being a good hassle free scenic drive, would you still recommend poopara- Rajakkad- Adimali ?
The Rajakkad route is good, but I would love to drive all the way via Munnar instead of taking the shortcut
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:54   #4857
BHPian

Quote:

I tried theni-bodi-poopara-rajakad-adimali-kothamangalam route in December.
Road condition was good with lots of curves/ghat driving.There was some road construction work going on at that time after crossing rajakad,I had to take a short cut i.e had to cross an isolated narrow suspension bridge in my car(scary experience).
Apart from that road condition was good till kochi.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 12:22   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
There was some road construction work going on at that time after crossing rajakad,I had to take a short cut i.e had to cross an isolated narrow suspension bridge in my car(scary experience).
The same bridge that Laluks made famous through his travelogues ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2885706
Old 13th March 2013, 12:35   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The same bridge that Laluks made famous through his travelogues ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2885706
Yes this is the bridge i was referring to.
I saw the same sign board and misinterpreted the straight road as a restricted road and hence took the right short cut to cochin.
Since it was on a weekday afternoon,I could not see any other vehicles there.
Waited for long time and finally took the plunge when an autorickshaw crossed it.
Very very scary experience considering My Palio 1.6 weighs much more than an auto rickshaw.
Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:12   #4860
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to Wayanad from Bangalore via Malavalli>Kollegal>Chamarajanara>Gundelpet>S.Bathe ry

Roads are generally very good, except for some rough patches and narrow roads from Chamarajanagar till Gundelpet. After crossing the Kerala border, roads aint butter smooth till Sulthan Bathery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks