Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:45   #7546
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There was a report about the Kalady bridge. The concreting on the bridge broke off, and there is a real big hole on the bridge. So now they have closed the bridge for vehicle movement. Alternate routes have been identified. So are you talking about this bridge?
No. I know the Kalady bridge. I was talking about alternate routes between Angamaly and Perumbavur. The post I quoted mentioned that people were being redirected via Aluva, which is a highly inefficient route. So I was thinking about alternate routes betwen these two towns, not going through Aluva - in particular, a bridge that I think exists over the Periyar near Thiruvairanikulam temple.

This would be: take right turn at Kalady junction, skirt the airport on its south, take a left turn, cross Periyar, turn left on to the Aluva-Perumbavur KSRTC road.

And I was ruing the fact that no government did anything to make the proposed bridge over Periyar at Malayattur happen.
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:49   #7547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Thanks everyone.
Consolidating all suggestions, the best route would be:
Mysore- Chamrajanagar- Sathyamangalam- Annur- Karumathampatti- Somanur- Karanampettai- kamanaikanpalayam- Pollachi- Vadakkenchery- Thrissur- Kochi.

Am I right or is it better to route via Avinashi - Palladam instead?
I have a suggestion. At Karaumathampatti, join the NH7 and continue till L&T bypass( it is 4 lane all the way past Avinashi bypass and onwards), so that you don;t need to worry abt the road condition at all. It is newly laid, and smooth.
From L&T, take a left to Pollachi and continue on your designated route.
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:23   #7548
Team-BHP Support

I think railway over bridge at Karumathampatty is complete. It should not be a blocker.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:51   #7549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think railway over bridge at Karumathampatty is complete. It should not be a blocker.
Yes - just today someone else also sent me a link which confirms that the ROB at Somanur was inaugurated in February, 2014. So that traffic bottleneck shouldn't be an issue any longer.

Railway over bridge opened for traffic in somanur Coimbatore district. Tamil Murasu news on 25th feb 14
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:02   #7550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Isn't there a bridge across the Periyar near the Thiruvairanikulam temple?

Then there is the promised Malayattur-Kodanad bridge which might or might not be built in my lifetime. :-(
As I was new to that route did not notice the bridge across Periyar river near
Thiruvairanikulam temple.On the highway there was a deviation with sign board towards Kalady
but did not take the chance.Probably that is the route you were suggesting.
The Town traffic in Aluva is with narrow roads with plenty of curves.One way
traffic was also regulated I think.I could see both the bus stand and the railway station of Aluva before entering the highway.

Last edited by gajadonga : 23rd September 2014 at 12:06.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:07   #7551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
I have a suggestion. At Karaumathampatti, join the NH7 and continue till L&T bypass( it is 4 lane all the way past Avinashi bypass and onwards), so that you don;t need to worry abt the road condition at all. It is newly laid, and smooth.
From L&T, take a left to Pollachi and continue on your designated route.
When you say left from L&T, did you mean the left next to Karpagam College? If yes wont that be crowded stretch with heavy traffic between Coimbatore ~ Pollachi? If not please let us know the exact location where to take a left at L&T bye pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is a news I wished to hear for a long time

Cheers!
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:00   #7552
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive down to Kochin for on Oct 2. I had traveled to Palakkad last month and had taken NH 47, wanted to avoid the same this time due to bad roads around Walayar.

Based on the comments on this thread my understanding is that it is best to take Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry route.

Is it any good to take Avinashi - Palladam and the same route onward, though I am worried about the incomplete fly-overs on Avinashi bye-pass ?

Also is the rail over bridge work near Mangalam on Avinashi - Palladam route complete?
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:04   #7553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also is the rail over bridge work near Mangalam on Avinashi - Palladam route complete?
Confirmed. This Road overbridge is open. When you go over the bridge we can see the Vijayamangalam RS below.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:52   #7554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Is it any good to take Avinashi - Palladam and the same route onward, though I am worried about the incomplete fly-overs on Avinashi bye-pass ?

I traveled this stretch from Vadakancherry-Pollachi-Avinashi 2 days back.
The roads are in good condition.
The underpass at Avinashi bypass is also complete.
The Rail over bridge is complete near Mangalam.
As I traveled in the early morning hours I could complete this stretch in 2.30hrs.

Last edited by gajadonga : 23rd September 2014 at 17:54.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:05   #7555
BHPian

Pollachi Road to Avinashi Road crossing at Palladam

Please exercise caution while crossing, to or from Pollachy Road to Avinashi Road, at Palladam; when the traffic signals are in Caution(Yellow blinking) mode. Reason is that, the Palladam crossing is of 4Lane width and one may not see or judge the speed at which vehicle is passing on the other side, due to the High Median Barricade.
Twiny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 00:52   #7556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Isn't there a bridge across the Periyar near the Thiruvairanikulam temple?

Then there is the promised Malayattur-Kodanad bridge which might or might not be built in my lifetime. :-(
Yes. that is the best choice for small vehicles. from Kalady-Kanjoor-Thiruvairanikkulam-Sri Sankara Bridge-Marampally-Perumbavoor. This is the best route for Cochin Airport bound vehicles. I think, only those who will travel to Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha/Thodupuzha/Idukki/Pala side will want to take this route.

for those who will want to skip Perumbavoor, can use, Marampally-South Vazhakulam-Chembarakki-Ponjassery-(Take Right turn, near a canal bridge)-Vengola-(go straight)-Valayanchirangara-Mannoor-Muvattupuzha. this route was fine before monsoon. it is around 2kms less than the route through Perumbavoor and is a good choice in the mornings and evenings to escape traffic between Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha.

For Kottayam bound commuters, Aluva-Kalamassery-SA Road-Thrippunithura-Thiruvankulam-Kanjiramattom-Thalayolaparambe-Kottayam is the best bet.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:47   #7557
BHPian

I did Kottakal - Bangalore - Mangalore - Kottakal during last few days.

Kottakal- Bangalore did last Thursday.

Route with approximate time taken:

Left kottakal at 12:15pm. Reached Thamassery by 1.30pm. I stopped for lunch at White house restaurant i.e in a place called Engapuzha just after Thamarassery. Its on right side of the road. It has clean toilets and good food.

Took kottakal- chelari - university- bypass- kadavu bridge- Kozhikode medical college- thamarassery. Overall roads are ok. There was some road repair goin on in Kakkanchery.

Thamarassery-Vythri- kalpetta: Ok a few potholes.

Kalpetta- meenangadi- Bathery: Excellent. I drove through Kalpetta town. Stopped at Woodlands hotel for a cup of tea.

Bathery- muthanga - gundulpet: Ok. Reached Gundulpet at 5:30pm

Gundulpet- Nanjangud- Mysore: Ok. Reached Philomena church at 6.45pm. Took a 10 min break.

Mysore- srirangapatna- Mandya- maddur- Mysore road. Took the left turn onto Tumkur nice road at 7.55pm. Then went via yeshwantpur onto mekri circle. That stretch is a little confusing. You have to keep left and just go until Mekri circle.

I got stuck in a little traffic at mekri circle. Reached Mac donalds at sadahalli near BIAL at 9.05pm.
The last stretch was excellent. Visiting Bangalore after a year now and the roads are much better now.

Bangalore - Mangalore I covered in Mangalore road thread.

Mangalore - kottakal did it on Monday early morning.

I started at 2.20am. Mangalore - kasargod. Horrible roads.reached Kasargod at 3:20 am.

Kasargod to Kannur section is again horrible. Reached Kannur at 5.20 am

Kannur - Kozhikode is good. Reached Paragon hotel at 6.45 am for breakfast.

Kozhikode - thondayad junction- kadavu bridge- chelari - kottakal: Good roads. Reached kottakal at 8.30 am.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 24th September 2014 at 12:51.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 14:13   #7558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Gundulpet- Nanjangud- Mysore: Ok. Reached Philomena church at 6.45pm. Took a 10 min break.

Mysore- srirangapatna- Mandya- maddur- Mysore road. Took the left turn onto Tumkur nice road at 7.55pm.
Are you sure there isn't a typo in those timings ? Travel time of 1 hour between Mysore and Kengeri sounds a little hard to believe (or you must have been virtually flying over those speed breakers )
Old 24th September 2014, 14:20   #7559
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure there isn't a typo in those timings ? Travel time of 1 hour between Mysore and Kengeri sounds a little hard to believe (or you must have been virtually flying over those speed breakers )
You are right its a typo. Left at 6.30pm from Philomena church. I usually take 1.5 hour for the Mysore stretch.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 24th September 2014 at 14:22.
Old 24th September 2014, 14:39   #7560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
for those who will want to skip Perumbavoor, can use, Marampally-South Vazhakulam-Chembarakki-Ponjassery-(Take Right turn, near a canal bridge)-Vengola-(go straight)-Valayanchirangara-Mannoor-Muvattupuzha. this route was fine before monsoon. it is around 2kms less than the route through Perumbavoor and is a good choice in the mornings and evenings to escape traffic between Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha.
I just travelled to Kalamassery(FACT Road) today from Muvattupuzha. took the route through MC road Mannoor-Valayanchirangara-Ponjassery-S.Vazhakulam-Choondi-Aluva-Container road. Between Mannoor and Vengola, there are some bad patches which needs extra care. however, I reached faster compared to the conventional route through Perumbavoor-Aluva.

On Return, I took Seaport-Airport(SA road) highway-Infopark-Karimugal-Puthenkurish-Muvattupuzha road. from Infopark to Karimugal and to Puthenkurish the road condition is very bad compared to the route through Valayanchirangara-Ponjassery. distance also is higher(when starting from Kalamassery). I hear, Edappally-Pukkattupady-Kizhakkambalam-Pattimattom-Muvattupuzha route is in very bad condition.

Last edited by deepclutch : 24th September 2014 at 14:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks