Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 12:38   #8671
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
I had driven from Kidangoor to Changanacherry via Ayarkunnam, Manarcaud, Puthuppally

On a seperate note I think MC road is not in great shape in the route you plan to take, though not really bad either.
Thanks Rejeen . Couple of my friends mentioned that the road work is going on at Kurvilangad and it may take more time to cover the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
T

But if you are travelling towards Changanacherry or further south, taking the Manarcaud option and then going via Puthuppally-Vakathanam-Thengana makes a lot of sense, it avoids Kottayam altogether and the roads are in decent condition as well.
My travel is to a place called Chengannur and am trying to find out the the best route from Muvatupuzha .

Please enlighten if anyone has an update on the below mentioned route.
"Arakuzha-Pandappilly-Palakuzha."

Also i would likely be travelling on this route around afternoon. Would like to know if there are any decent places to dine out with neat rest rooms.My usual stop is at Hotel Astoria/Annapoorna at Etumanoor.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:06   #8672
Senior - BHPian

Folks, working on the "route plan/scheme" for the next trip to Kerala. Would be most likely driving alone, and also thought of doing a bit of experimentation. I am venturing into Southern Kerala, where I have not travelled much.

I have a function to attend at Uzhavoor on 5th July. The function would most likely get over by 1130Hrs, and I need to hit back to Bangalore the same day. I was trying for an alternate route (through Kottayam, Theni(?) if possible), rather than sticking to the NH 47, NH-7 via Thrissur, Palakkad,Salem etc. What would be a good route to take, perhaps winding through hilly or forest terrain? I generally don't drive after 1900hrs as my night vision is poor. So assuming that I would have to take a quick break, which place would be ideal? So that the next day (Monday morning), I can start early and reach Bangalore at least by afternoon hours.

Any advice, would be of help to me. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:18   #8673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Any advice, would be of help to me. Thanks in advance.
One option seems to be:

Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Pala-Uzhavoor
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:40   #8674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Pala-Uzhavoor
Thanks, a quick side question though. Coming from Thrissur side, towards Ettumanoor Mahadeva temple, which would be a good route to take? I would be driving during the early morning hours.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:09   #8675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, a quick side question though. Coming from Thrissur side, towards Ettumanoor Mahadeva temple, which would be a good route to take? I would be driving during the early morning hours.
I had gone to Ettumanur in May. The Kuthattukulam-Ettumanur stretch of MC Road was in shambles and avoidable (though KL PWD was repairing it then and might be OK to drive now). Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha is in great shape. Muvattupuzha-Kuthattukulam is manageable.

If you need an alternate recommendation, Perumbavur-Pattimattom-Puthankurishu-Piravam-Kaduthuruthy-Ettumanur is OK to excellent roads.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:11   #8676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trichur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam-Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Kidangoor-Ettumanoor would probably be the best bet. The MC road section between Angamaly and Koothattukulam would have some traffic, but may be OK if you're travelling in the early hours. From thereon it should be a breeze. (I'm suggesting avoiding of MC road from Koothattukulam onwards because of reported of roadwork in that section - otherwise that would have been the most straightforward route)

Note the following key junctions on this route :

1) At Koothattukulam turn left on to the Koothattukulam-Ramapuram road.
2) After going about 2-3 kms on this road take a right turn towards Uzhavoor (The junction comes just after Baselios Engineering college on the right)
3) At Marangattupally turn right towards Kidangoor.
4) At Kidangoor turn right onto the Palai-Ettumanoor road

Should be able to do the distance in 3 to 3.5 hours (or less) in early mornings.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:01   #8677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In addition to the MC road options given here, you can also consider the Angamali > Kalamassery > Seaport-Airport road > Tripunithura > T'parambu > Ettumanoor route. Road is good mostly except for some metro work between Aluva and Angamali.

If in doubt, use Google Maps and it will guide you well including short cuts. Interestingly the GM route suggestion form Tsr to Etmnr is skipping the direct route from Koothattukulam via MC road and showing it through Uzhavoor and Kidangoor!
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 19:21   #8678
BHPian

I've to drive this weekend from Palakkad to Trivandrum. How's the road condition from Palakkad to Mannuthy. The trip will be Trivandrum->Kochi->Thrissur->Shoranur->Palakkad. While returning I was thinking of taking Palakkad->Thrissur->Kochi->Trivandrum.

I do make Trivandrum to Shoranur (my home town) at least once every month but never to Palakkad, hence this query.
Old 18th June 2015, 20:23   #8679
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I've to drive this weekend from Palakkad to Trivandrum. How's the road condition from Palakkad to Mannuthy. The trip will be Trivandrum->Kochi->Thrissur->Shoranur->Palakkad. While returning I was thinking of taking Palakkad->Thrissur->Kochi->Trivandrum.
From what I know, work on the Palakkad-Alathur stretch is progressing fast and is not a pain to drive on now.
Here is the last update on this - here
Old 19th June 2015, 00:05   #8680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
My travel is to a place called Chengannur and am trying to find out the the best route from Muvatupuzha .

Please enlighten if anyone has an update on the below mentioned route.
"Arakuzha-Pandappilly-Palakuzha."
Muvattupuzha-Arakuzha-Pandappilly road is not in a very good condition, but can be usable. Go through Kuthattukulam-Uzhavoor-Kidangur-Manarcaud route.

You may want to try Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Kaduthuruthy-Kottayam route which will be 5-6kms higher.

Is it not possible to go directly to Alappuzha and towards Chengaanur?
Kalamassery-SA road-Irumbanam-Thiruvankulam-Kureekkad Railway gate-Thalayyolaparambe-Kottayam may be the best option.

Those travelling from Aluva to Kottayam side - Anyone tried Aluva-Choondy Cochin Bank Junction-NAD road-Cochin Medical college-HMT to reach Kakkanad Vallathol junction and through Seaport-Airport road to Kottayam? I've recently tried Marampally-Choondy-NAD road to Kakkanad and it was not that bad except for the narrow crowded road.

Last edited by deepclutch : 19th June 2015 at 00:13.
Old 19th June 2015, 22:13   #8681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
........ (through Kottayam, Theni(?) if possible), rather than sticking to the NH 47, NH-7 via Thrissur, Palakkad,Salem etc. ......
I did some part of this route two weeks back. My route was Ernakulam - Bangalore via Kattappana.

Ernakulam-Muvattupuzha-Thodoupuzha: Good roads
Thodupuzha - Muttom : Slightly bumpy at few places, nothing to worry.
Muttom-Moolamattom-Kulamavu: Smooth
Kulamavu-Painavu-Cheruthoni: Uneven at few places, again no worries
Cheruthoni-Kattappana: OK
Kattappana - Marykulam: Very good
Marukulam-Aanavilasam: Good, steep and very narrow road, sparse traffic
Aanavilasam - Vellaramkunnu: Bad at many places
Vellaramkunnu-Kumily-Lower camp: Good except for one pothole
Work going on at many places around Cumbam including Cumbam town. You can expect slow moving traffic during day/evening.
Kodai turn off to Dindigul and Salem and Bangalore: Excellent

Quote:
Since you are traveling during non peak hour, stick to MC road itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I had gone to Ettumanur in May. The Kuthattukulam-Ettumanur stretch of MC Road was in shambles and avoidable (though KL PWD was repairing it then and might be OK to drive now). Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha is in great shape. Muvattupuzha-Kuthattukulam is manageable.

If you need an alternate recommendation, Perumbavur-Pattimattom-Puthankurishu-Piravam-Kaduthuruthy-Ettumanur is OK to excellent roads.
Perumbavur - Pattimattom : Good
Pattimattom - 10th Mile : Bad at few places
10th mile - Choondy - Meembara: Good
Meembara - Maneed : Mostly bad (some 8 kms). Maneed can be bypassed with new bridge which connects Nechoor to Kakkad.
Piravom - Kaduthuruthy: Good except for 1-2 kms between Piravom and Mulakulam.

Overall, not a good idea to take Perumbavor-Piravom

Kalamassery-Seaport airport road - Thiruvamkulam - Mulanthuruthy - Piravom/(or Thalayolaparambu) - Kaduthuruthy - Ettumanoor is excellent, if looking for good surface but longer.
Old 20th June 2015, 08:50   #8682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post

You may want to try Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Kaduthuruthy-Kottayam route which will be 5-6kms higher.

Is it not possible to go directly to Alappuzha and towards Chengaanur?

Kalamassery-SA road-Irumbanam-Thiruvankulam-Kureekkad Railway gate-Thalayyolaparambe-Kottayam may be the best option.

Thanks Deepclutch, the Alappuzha option was ignored since i heard that getting past Cochin at the peek time is a real pain considering the metro work.

It would be great if you can suggest a route to get to Chengannur.

My usual route is through the MC road and lunch at Astoria/Annapoorna at Etumanoor.
Old 21st June 2015, 01:20   #8683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
It would be great if you can suggest a route to get to Chengannur.

My usual route is through the MC road and lunch at Astoria/Annapoorna at Etumanoor.
The fastest route to Chengannoor would certainly be the one via Angamaly-Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam-Uzhavoor-Kidangoor-Manarcaud-Puthuppalli-Thengana-Thiruvalla-Chengannur.

The Thiruvalla-Chengannur stretch can be a little bit of a pain to drive because of high traffic + diversion due to a bridge construction. You can avoid that by going via Karukachal-Mallappally-Eraviperoor-Chengannur instead, but you will probably end up taking the same time overall since it is slightly longer.

Can't think of any upmarket hotel on the above route - you may probably have some before Koothattukulam (Angamaly / Perumbavoor / Muvattupuzha) or else will have to wait till you reach Thiruvallla. Vaguely remember seeing a KTDC restaurant (Vazhiyoram or Aaraam) somewhere around Vakathanam (on the Puthuppalli-Thengana section), but not 100% sure of the location, and no idea how good / bad it is either.

Edit : Managed to locate that restaurant on Google Maps - It's Vazhiyoram - Location : https://goo.gl/maps/K2J16

Last edited by kala : 21st June 2015 at 01:26.
Old 21st June 2015, 11:16   #8684
BHPian

Update on Dindigul-Kumily route

Just back from Sabarimala Trip from Trichy. The route I have taken is Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Vandiperiyar-Mundakayam-Kanamala-Pamba link: https://goo.gl/maps/QZ7zQ

Trichy Dindigul: Good 4 lane roads all the way.

Dindigul - Kodai Turn off: though 2 lane, the roads are very good.

Kodai turnoff - Kumily Lower Camp:
The highways are mostly very wide and in good condition being part of NH, the towns will considerably slow you down. Some roads are in pathetic condition inside towns (cumbum, chinnamanur, theni etc). Some of the potholes are deep enough to hit even the chasis of buses/lorries
Please be careful especially during rains, as these would be filled with water and you would not realise the depth of those potholes.

In highways at some places the road extension work is going on but no signs of road repairs inside towns.

Lowercamp - Pamba : excellent roads all the way. Very scenic too.

It took me almost 8 hours to complete this 350Kms journey during day time. Kumily-Dindigul stretch was the main culprit as it took me 3.5 hours just to cross this stretch
Old 21st June 2015, 12:58   #8685
Team-BHP Support

Re: Update on Dindigul-Kumily route

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Some roads are in pathetic condition inside towns (cumbum, chinnamanur, theni etc).
Did you take the Theni bypass? If yes, was it the bypass which was that bad?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks