Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 15:07   #9841
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
I am digressing a bit here, apologies. Is it safe to drive a TN reg car in Bangalore?
I am also in the same boat as you. Kindly wait for some more time before once can safely take out his/her TN registered vehicle. Post this Friday, we will have a clear picture.
Old 30th September 2016, 17:04   #9842
BHPian

Hello Fellow Bhpians,
Considering the current situation is it safe to drive a KA registered car via Gudalur to reach Kerala? My destination is palakkad. I am planning a journey next week from Bangalore.
Thanks

Last edited by shady : 30th September 2016 at 17:22. Reason: added my source of the journey
Old 30th September 2016, 17:48   #9843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Hello Fellow Bhpians,
Considering the current situation is it safe to drive a KA registered car via Gudalur to reach Kerala? My destination is palakkad. I am planning a journey next week from Bangalore.
Thanks
Gudalur is not a wise choice. You should take the Gundlupet - Bathery route.

I am leaving for Kochi via Bathery early tomorrow. Fingers crossed about the situation in Mandya.
Old 30th September 2016, 18:44   #9844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I am leaving for Kochi via Bathery early tomorrow. Fingers crossed about the situation in Mandya.
If you are worried about Mandya, take the alternate route, Kanakpura road. I traveled by that road thrice in last 10 days. Except for a few km, roads are in good condition.

In that route, I would suggest you to go to Mysore ring road from Malavalli. Google maps might show other shortcuts to Nanjagod / Gundalpet. But, I heard road conditions are not that great compared to the one via Mysore.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:05   #9845
Senior - BHPian

Friends, any suggestions on the latest situation on the Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palaghatt route with a KA registration ? As schools are closing on 7th, we thought of visiting our aged family members around Cochin with a plan to return on 11th. Cauvery situation is now coupled with the TN CM's health concern. Looks like anything can go wrong anytime. Last moment train or flight is totally out of reach too. Tips appreciated !!
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:20   #9846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Cauvery situation is now coupled with the TN CM's health concern
Cauvery looks like it will worsen. You are a bit SOL.

Friend of mine went via Mysore-Calicut to Thrissur last weekend; took him 15 hours but with one wrong turn and two motion sicknesses.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:15   #9847
BHPian

This could be a viable alternate route from Walayar to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Friends, any suggestions on the latest situation on the Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palaghatt route with a KA registration ? As schools are closing on 7th, we thought of visiting our aged family members around Cochin with a plan to return on 11th. Cauvery situation is now coupled with the TN CM's health concern. Looks like anything can go wrong anytime. Last moment train or flight is totally out of reach too. Tips appreciated !!
My gut feeling tells me that this could be viable alternative route: https://goo.gl/maps/KWhrgA8T6K32

Walayar to Karnataka border, via this route is 142 kms. It is that 142 km that one travels in TN but it is mostly in ghats and forest section, after a couple of initial kms in Coimbatore (TN).

I think people at Coimbatore may not be hostile to KA vehicles in the normal course. Reasons:

(1) I don't see river Cauvery coming flowing towards Coimbatore side ( map below). Or is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaveri...Cauvery_EN.png

(2) KA has agreed to release water to TN soon. So, situation is improving in that front.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...-nadu-3064007/

(3) Any KA vehicle in Coimbatore could most probably be that of a mallu who is from Bangalore. There were no attacks reported on KA vehicles at Coimbatore yet. I think people know this. That is what I sensed during my return back from Kerala after Onam holidays.

Amma's health is indeed a concern but news paper reports suggest that she is recuperating.

But, think well and take your decision. Good luck

NOTE: I drove in this route couple of years back based on Team-BHPian Pramod's suggestion.

Road surface was good (is good mostly in TN) and it is very very scenic. There are some 28 hair pin curves at Dhimbum ghat section. Very few fuel pumps and eateries. So, you know.

Last edited by B103 : 4th October 2016 at 07:17.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 09:11   #9848
BHPian

Another issue to consider - will the cops at the checkposts let KA vehicles into Tamilnadu?

Anyone driven to Kerala via Tamilnadu recently, like in the last couple of days?
Old 4th October 2016, 09:39   #9849
BHPian

Re: This could be a viable alternate route from Walayar to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I think people at Coimbatore may not be hostile to KA vehicles in the normal course. Reasons:
My office has scores of KA reg vehicles and as far as I have seen, they are being used normally. I have not personally seen any antipathy towards KA reg vehicles in the city, so your view is in general correct.
Old 4th October 2016, 09:40   #9850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
My gut feeling tells me that this could be viable alternative route: https://goo.gl/maps/KWhrgA8T6K32
That is the Satyamangalam-Chamarajanagar Dimbam ghat route (NH 209). It was also closed/blocked during the agitation; and probably the other-state registered vehicles are even now being turned away (my friend was asked to turn back at Bandipur-Mudumalai border last weekend).
Old 4th October 2016, 10:00   #9851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is the Satyamangalam-Chamarajanagar Dimbam ghat route (NH 209). It was also closed/blocked during the agitation; and probably the other-state registered vehicles are even now being turned away (my friend was asked to turn back at Bandipur-Mudumalai border last weekend).
This is an eye opening article about the associated costs. See the cost to business and commerce.

We people in south are pacifists in general but still there was lot of violence this time. Sad to see the way things evolved.
https://yourstory.com/2016/09/karnat...ry-water-wars/

Last edited by B103 : 4th October 2016 at 10:06.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:58   #9852
BHPian

Any idea about the latest situation at TN-KA border at Hosur? We have a bhpian who had travelled from Nagercoil to Bangalore yesterday who was not stopped at the border. Maybe because it was a KA reg vehicle coming into Karnataka.

But with the water issue at an all time lull, maybe the cops at the border are a bit relaxed and letting vehicles cross.
Old 4th October 2016, 12:23   #9853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Any idea about the latest situation at TN-KA border at Hosur? We have a bhpian who had travelled from Nagercoil to Bangalore yesterday who was not stopped at the border. Maybe because it was a KA reg vehicle coming into Karnataka.

But with the water issue at an all time lull, maybe the cops at the border are a bit relaxed and letting vehicles cross.
Crossed into Bangalore through attibele on Sunday morning. A cop was stopping vehicles at the junction just before the flyover on TN side, and asked us to take the service road on the other side.
The service road was the one which is in front of the RTO checkpost and that was completely blocked by trucks.
So ended up taking a U turn under the flyover and joined NH just at the start of the flyover.
TN police was stopping all TN registered vehicles from crossing onto KA side.
My ride was "plateless thus stateless" and was not stopped by police on TN and KA sides.
Old 4th October 2016, 12:50   #9854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
...TN police was stopping all TN registered vehicles from crossing onto KA side.
My ride was "plateless thus stateless" and was not stopped by police on TN and KA sides.
Weird huh? The times we are living in. Plate-less vehicles are not having issues while the ones displaying a registration are . Wonder when this madness will end. Having to plan like smugglers just to travel from one state to another.

On a side note : Thank god for Team-bhp
Old 4th October 2016, 13:00   #9855
Senior - BHPian

Drove Whitefield to Vaikom on Oct 1st.

Start Time - 4:40 AM
End Time -6:50 AM
Distance - 585 KMS (The Salem route is 577 KMS long).
Break Time - 1 hour
Total Toll Paid - Rs 7/-

Route Whitefield - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery- Kalpetta- Ramanattukara - Parappangadi -Tirur - Charmavattam - Ponnani -Chavakkad - N Parur- Edapally - Vytilla -Tripunithura - Vaikom

Reached Mysore at 7:00 AM. Mysore road is much better. Not many speed breakers. Traffic was also less. Went through city> Entered Kerala at 8:45 AM. Stopped for break fast at Sultan Bathery from 9:15 - 9:45 AM. Took 9 hours to cover 280 KMS from Sultan Bathery to Vaikom. No major blocks anywhere. Progress was slow due to large number of towns and narrow roads. The Charmavattom - Parappanangadi stretch has lot of potholes.

The last 60 KMs to Vaikom took more than 2 hours.
pramodpk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks