Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 10:02   #10726
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

This was the situation yesterday. That too at 5am. Lost an hour here.

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20170831052138.png

Revised rates at Krishnagiri toll from today.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20170901_091219.jpg

Like many others had mentioned, there are N numbers of barricades near the Salem stretch. It's placed at every junction and dont be surprised to see around 30-40 barricades. It does slow you down.

Kuthiran -Pattikad-Mannuthy is bad with huge potholes and traffic at a slow pace. Can't imagine how this stretch would be during the peak hours.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 1st September 2017 at 10:28.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 10:25   #10727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Like many others had mentioned, there are N numbers of barricades near the Salem stretch. It's placed at every junction and dont be surprised to see around 30-40 barricades.
40 barricades? Don't understand the purpose of building highways if barricades are placed at every junction. Toll rates keep on going up and driving experience gets worse. Frustrating.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:32   #10728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best solution will be to explore alternate routes considering the toll price hike and more traffic jams near toll plazas that increases the travelling time.
Old 1st September 2017, 18:46   #10729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1671526

Attachment 1671527

Like many others had mentioned, there are N numbers of barricades near the Salem stretch. It's placed at every junction and dont be surprised to see around 30-40 barricades. It does slow you down.
Whole purpose of having 4 lane highway is beaten by the rush at these toll dates, adding the pain are these unscientific barricades. Might make sense to use Kanakpura, Pollachi, Alathur stretch.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 19:47   #10730
BHPian

Wrapped up the drive from Chennai to Thrissur today in about 8 hours We started from Chennai at 4:30 AM, stopped at the Salem Saravana Bhavan for 20 minutes for breakfast, and the wife & I were at home in Thrissur by 1 PM, just in time for lunch

Thanks to those who suggested the Alathur route. The road was narrow at some points, but was very smooth with nary a pothole. Traffic was absolutely minimal.

The last stretch from Vazhacode to Thrissur was quite bad, and the road surface was completely ripped off in many places. Other than that, smooth sailing all around. There were quite a few barricades after crossing Salem. Which was very irritating. We didn't experience any traffic jams on any toll booths today however.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 1st September 2017 at 19:49.
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:36   #10731
Senior - BHPian

Reports from local news papers say the Bypass road for Paliakkara toll is opened by Dist collector and local MLA.

http://m.manoramaonline.com/news/lat...laza-open.html

NH contractor has approached high court for a stay, but that will be considered only after Onam vacation.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 18:14   #10732
BHPian

Friends, what would be the best route to travel by car from Kukke Subramanya (Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka) to Trichur (kerala)? My car is Tiago (p) which hates overtaking due to low pickup ?
The usual route I used to follow was
1. Kukke>Virajpet>Makuta ghat>Iritty>Kuthuparambu>Kunhipalli>Vadakara>Kozhi kode>Trichur.

Once I tried this route
2. Kukke>Virajpet>Gonikoppa>Kuttta>Mananthavadi>Thott ilpalam>Kozhikode>Trichur

Any other route where traffic is least (even if KM is excess to tune of 50km) because I hate bumper to bumper traffic in highways. Normally I prefer to start late by 5pm (kukke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Reports from local news papers say the Bypass road for Paliakkara toll is opened by Dist collector and local MLA.

http://m.manoramaonline.com/news/lat...laza-open.html

NH contractor has approached high court for a stay, but that will be considered only after Onam vacation.
Now the toll will be used only by heavy vehicles and there would be 2-3 km queue in the Paliyekkara parallel road.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd September 2017 at 20:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th September 2017, 10:14   #10733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Friends, what would be the best route to travel by car from Kukke Subramanya (Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka) to Trichur (kerala)? My car is Tiago (p) which hates overtaking due to low pickup ?
The usual route I used to follow was
Since you are already familiar on these roads, wont comment on them. One option I was thinking is to find which is the least intrusive option of all?

Was thinking of Hunsur-HD Kote-Bargur. Followed by the familiar Nilambur road. But that looks to be a long detour.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:57   #10734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since you are already familiar on these roads, wont comment on them. One option I was thinking is to find which is the least intrusive option of all?

Was thinking of Hunsur-HD Kote-Bargur. Followed by the familiar Nilambur road. But that looks to be a long detour.
Quite a long detour but looks like less traffic compared to other routes. How's the road condition in that route?
Old 4th September 2017, 19:03   #10735
Distinguished - BHPian

Returned from Bangalore today. Being Onam, it was a breeze and one relaxing drive. Was able to see the horrible section near Pattikad in daylight. The road was completely broken in many sections and covered with loose metal and gravel.

Some pictures taken near Pattikad. The newly laid road was nicely done. Good to see that it's wide and not the usual stuff.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20170904_132412.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20170904_132800.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20170904_134359.jpg

Completed the drive in good time with two breaks totaling to 30 mins.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20170904_151245.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:41   #10736
Senior - BHPian

Came across this news article about the Mannuthy - Vadakkencherry section.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le19631976.ece
Old 8th September 2017, 14:16   #10737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
I am now thinking 31st and 6th; hope will not have much traffic.
The trip was almost uneventful with less traffic both ways especially return on 6th. Started at 7am on 31st and reached home (Angamaly) around 4.30 PM, after stops for breakfast/lunch and another at Mannuthy nursery. Return started at 8am reached around 5PM.

While returning, the idiot CM of Tamilnadu decided it is a nice idea to block the entire Coimbatore-Salem expressway so he and his gang can have a smooth journey. All the vehicles were diverted through service road!! (that after paying toll). When will these idiots learn commonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Whole purpose of having 4 lane highway is beaten by the rush at these toll dates, adding the pain are these unscientific barricades. Might make sense to use Kanakpura, Pollachi, Alathur stretch.
Many of the barricades were partially removed while coming back, instead of an S, now its more of a C.

Quote:
Kuthiran -Pattikad-Mannuthy is bad with huge potholes and traffic at a slow pace. Can't imagine how this stretch would be during the peak hours.
Pattikad-Mannuthy is the bad stretch. Kuthiran-Pattikkad is almost done. I guess Kuthiran should be ready before Easter/Holy week travel next year? Not sure on the Dec deadline.

Quote:
How is the condition of, and traffic on, MC road?
This was smooth journey as well. Except in few places, this is almost done; wide roads and sparse traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
But then I wont advise on filling it on your day of travel... for fueling will have a cascading delay on your traveling time.
I know I shouldn't
vjjustin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 15:00   #10738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many of the barricades were partially removed while coming back, instead of an S, now its more of a C.

Pattikad-Mannuthy is the bad stretch. Kuthiran-Pattikkad is almost done. I guess Kuthiran should be ready before Easter/Holy week travel next year? Not sure on the Dec deadline.
No wonder I could see many removed during my return drive.

I seriously doubt it will be ready this year although the bridge is almost done. There's still quite a lot to do with the work inside the tunnel. Easter seems possible. But again, the 4 lane or should I say 6 lane work on the entire stretch seems tough. Guess there are couple of bridges to be constructed right?
Old 8th September 2017, 16:51   #10739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is interesting, curious to know whether it is helping the situation when traffic is heavy.
Old 8th September 2017, 22:43   #10740

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post

Any other route where traffic is least (even if KM is excess to tune of 50km) because I hate bumper to bumper traffic in highways. Normally I prefer to start late by 5pm (kukke)
Since you are starting late from Kukke why don't you try NH-66(NH-17):

Kukke >> Sullia >> Jalsoor >> Cherkala >> Kanhangad >> Kannur >> Kozhikode >> Thrissur

After sunset the density of private cars and private buses reduces significantly on Kerala highways.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks