Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 12:12   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Last week, I took the Hyderabad - Vijayawada route to Chennai as we have not done this route before.

Hitech City - ORR - Vijayawada was fast and it took us around 3H 30M, but it was a pain crossing Vijayawada as the bypass road is closed due to some construction work and traffic was diverted via the City. It took us an hour to get out of the city.

Later we stopped at N5 Food Plaza for Dinner. A very nice place with good restrooms and food was good too.

Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-capture1.jpg

Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-capture2.jpg

After dinner, I stopped near one of the tolls for a quick nap and reached Guindy in Chennai by 1:15 AM.

We started from Hyderabad at 1:45 PM, so overall it took us 11H:30M including breaks.

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th April 2017 at 12:30.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:45   #707
Senior - BHPian

I have traveled quite a couple of times using different combination of routes like via Vijayawada, Nagarjunasagar, Guntur, Narsaraopet, Cuddapah, Renigunta
Fastest and best as of now is via Miryalguda and Addanki.
The time taken to reach and cross Vijayawada is the almost the same when you go by Miryalguda to reach Ongole. In fact you save close to 1.30hrs if you use the Miryalguda route.
Last time I traveled via Miryalguda with a single stop at the NH5 Food plaza near Ongole was 8.30mins both ways including stops

Last edited by gajadonga : 18th April 2017 at 16:49.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 09:44   #708
Team-BHP Support

I did a toll free trip to Chennai from Hyderabad.

Took off from my apartment near APPA junction at around 8:30 AM.
Encountered difficulty getting into the service road close to the Airport-Bangalore exits. Finally found it and continued. Must have lost close to 15 minutes in that nonsense.

Continued without incident till Pidugurila. My bike had not been tanked up before the journey. So luckily it hit reserve close to the HP bunk near the flyover.
I have always preferred this bunk and so topped up the tank for almost 1200 rupees. Mine is a larger than standard tank.

After Addanki, heavy crosswinds started taking their toll on my speed. I stopped at the NH5 toll restaurant and had some dall with roti's.
They have very good service and maintain clean toilets.

The last 40 kilometers home where pure hell in traffic and took me almost 2 hours.
Reached home at 8:30 PM.

Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20170505-10.51.45-pm.jpeg
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-fb69d2d20d354f89bd843c4d24259c9a.jpg

While riding I consumed 4 liters of water. No toilet breaks except at the NH5. Gives you an idea of just how dry the ride was.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 10:17   #709
BHPian

Earlier last month did this trip via the NAM expressway. It was a breeze with very good roads. Started at 6AM and reached home in Chennai at 7.30PM. Was driving slow since was transporting my fishes and my City was fully loaded since it was a relocation from Hyderabad to Chennai.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:12   #710
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to drive from Chennai to Hyderabad during the Independence day weekend. I am intended to take the NAM route. Kindly advise me better places for breakfast, lunch and T-breaks. Would appreciate if someone can point the current road condition also.
Old 25th July 2017, 16:21   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
Guys,

I am planning to drive from Chennai to Hyderabad during the Independence day weekend. I am intended to take the NAM route. Kindly advise me better places for breakfast, lunch and T-breaks. Would appreciate if someone can point the current road condition also.
Road conditions were mostly good when i drove on this route last month. At few places construction work was ongoing and there were diversions.

There are not much options for food in this route. We started from Chennai at 3 AM so stopped for breakfast at N5 food plaza which is vastly discussed in this thread. Did not stop anywhere after that and we were in Hyderabad by 1PM.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:55   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Road conditions were mostly good when i drove on this route last month. At few places construction work was ongoing and there were diversions.

There are not much options for food in this route. We started from Chennai at 3 AM so stopped for breakfast at N5 food plaza which is vastly discussed in this thread. Did not stop anywhere after that and we were in Hyderabad by 1PM.
Thank you Makin Rulesz. I will surely consider the N5 food plaza. I am planning to start from Chennai around 6 AM. Hence I would have to stop for breakfast and lunch. Other than N5, what are my choices even if it is limited ?
Old 25th July 2017, 20:20   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Makin Rulesz. I will surely consider the N5 food plaza. I am planning to start from Chennai around 6 AM. Hence I would have to stop for breakfast and lunch. Other than N5, what are my choices even if it is limited ?
Don't waste your time looking for an alternate.
Not only is the location for this perfect, it it's also quite clean and well maintained.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 12:08   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Don't waste your time looking for an alternate.
Not only is the location for this perfect, it it's also quite clean and well maintained.
Thanks bblost. Perhaps you can also answer me my one more query ? Is Fastag accepted in all the toll booths in the NAM route?
Old 26th July 2017, 12:13   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks bblost. Perhaps you can also answer me my one more query ? Is Fastag accepted in all the toll booths in the NAM route?
I am very sorry but I don't know/remember this.

I don't use fasttag as I am not very convinced with its use. Maybe sometime in future.

My next trip to Chennai is scheduled in the first week of August. Will keep an eye out for these fasttag lanes.
Old 26th July 2017, 15:06   #716
BHPian

Quote:
There are total 10 tolls in this route if you take the NAM expressway. Fastag is accepted in 7 out of them, exceptions are the 3 tolls on NAM expressway.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 16:26   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to digress from the topic, but, bblost, please replace your licence plates ASAP. Get ones with 09 instead of 9. Not sure if you have been challaned, but, you are a sitting duck for traffic police.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 26th July 2017 at 16:54.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:40   #718
Team-BHP Support

Drove down to Chennai today along with my family.
As usual the only problem was the traffic nightmare that greets everyone at the entry point. The last 30 KMS taking up as much as 90 minutes.

My only update for this trip is that the NH5 food stop on top of the toll gate does not serve any thing except sandwiches, coffee and ice cream at 1130 AM.

Service starts around 12:15 PM.

The toilets were clean and dry.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:07   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Drove down to Chennai today along with my family.
As usual the only problem was the traffic nightmare that greets everyone at the entry point. The last 30 KMS taking up as much as 90 minutes.

My only update for this trip is that the NH5 food stop on top of the toll gate does not serve any thing except sandwiches, coffee and ice cream at 1130 AM.

Service starts around 12:15 PM.

The toilets were clean and dry.
@bblost - Either work demands or sheer personal drive, you sure have the enthusiasm for long drives even if it is the same route!

By the way, I am travelling to Hyderabad on a Saturday (5/12). I intend to start as early as 3AM but I am already receiving yelling from family opposing the idea.

Now here is my route plan and toll booths enroute. Do you see any hurdles in here?
Please advice!

P.S. I sure do not know to insert the snap. I managed to add as an attachment.
Attached Images

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 3rd August 2017 at 19:10. Reason: added toll booth snap
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:15   #720
Team-BHP Support

Are you used to waking up at 2 AM and working non stop in a relaxed but alert kind of work for the next 10 hours?

If not. Then don't ever leave at such an ungodly hour.
As some one who does it occasionally, I can assure you that it's not easy.
I have started avoiding this over the past few years because it's not worth it.

It's much better to sleep well and wake up early.

The road between Hyderabad and Chennai is fantastic. You don't have to face on coming traffic for more than 99% of the way.

My parents live in Chennai. I make regular visits to meet my Grandma. Each trip kind of adds a lot of happiness to her. Makes it worth it.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks