Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:44   #1126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
One day break is fine, but 2 days you will get bored in Sagar if you are not planning to do some trecking stuff in some river side. There are 2 good hotels in Sagar, but I can't remember the names, will post the names when I come back from Goa next month.
Thanks Asdon. I am planning to reach Sagar/Jog around 1PM and second day want to see Jog falls and near by area. What are the attractions in and around Sagar/Jog falls, that can be covered during the time frame mentioned? Mainly I want to use the time after 3pm on first day.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:03   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One day break is fine, but 2 days you will get bored in Sagar if you are not planning to do some trecking stuff in some river side. There are 2 good hotels in Sagar, but I can't remember the names, will post the names when I come back from Goa next month.
One hotel in Sagar is Hotel Varadashree. I do not know the other's name. This place is decent.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:26   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Thanks Asdon. I am planning to reach Sagar/Jog around 1PM and second day want to see Jog falls and near by area. What are the attractions in and around Sagar/Jog falls, that can be covered during the time frame mentioned? Mainly I want to use the time after 3pm on first day.
Regards,
Sarin
Here are some places around Sagar/Jog Falls:
1. Tyavarekoppa Tiger and Lion Reserve (on NH 206 towards Sagar from Shimoga): Natural reserve for tigers and lions. There's also a mini zoo and museum. If you have time, you can for a jungle safari.
2. Keladi & Ikkeri: Very old and fine temples with architecture similar to that of Vijayanagara/Hoysala.
3. Linganamakki Dam: Mighty dam constructed across Sharavathi river for power generation.
4. Gudavi Bird Sanctuary: June to December is good time to visit this place.
5. Koodli: This is the place where Tunga and Bhadra rivers meet to form Tungabhadra river. There's a very old temple here.
6. Honnemaradu: Very popular place. But, you need more time to explore this one.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:56   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
Here are some places around Sagar/Jog Falls:
1. Tyavarekoppa Tiger and Lion Reserve (on NH 206 towards Sagar from Shimoga): Natural reserve for tigers and lions. There's also a mini zoo and museum. If you have time, you can for a jungle safari.
2. Keladi & Ikkeri: Very old and fine temples with architecture similar to that of Vijayanagara/Hoysala.
3. Linganamakki Dam: Mighty dam constructed across Sharavathi river for power generation.
4. Gudavi Bird Sanctuary: June to December is good time to visit this place.
5. Koodli: This is the place where Tunga and Bhadra rivers meet to form Tungabhadra river. There's a very old temple here.
6. Honnemaradu: Very popular place. But, you need more time to explore this one.
Thanks 370Z. Do you think, places from 2 to 6 can be covered along with Jog falls on second day. I am planning to go to the place number 1 on my way from Bangalore to Sagar. How far is the tiger reserve from NH 206?
Regards,
Sarin
Old 24th June 2010, 11:52   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Thanks 370Z. Do you think, places from 2 to 6 can be covered along with Jog falls on second day. I am planning to go to the place number 1 on my way from Bangalore to Sagar. How far is the tiger reserve from NH 206?
Regards,
Sarin
Tiger reserve is bang on the NH206 on left side while going from shimoga to sagar

Keladi and Ikkeri are on either side of NH206 some 8-10KMs

Koodali is some 25-30KMs from Shimoga not on NH206, but i think that road goes to chitradurga ??
Old 24th June 2010, 13:32   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Tiger reserve is bang on the NH206 on left side while going from shimoga to sagar

Koodali is some 25-30KMs from Shimoga not on NH206, but i think that road goes to chitradurga ??
Yes, Tiger reserve is on the left side of NH206 while going towards Sagar.

On the 2nd day, I think you can cover places 2, 3 and 4 along with Jog Falls. Koodli is far from Sagar/Jog and it's on NH13, so I think it will be difficult to cover this. Honnemaradu is pretty near to Sagar (~20 kms) and some adventure sports like camping, kayaking etc. are organized there. But, it would take more time. So, I think you can skip Honnemaradu as well.

Here is map containing tourist attractions in Shimoga district that can some idea on places:
http://www.hampi.in/images/shimoga.png
Old 25th June 2010, 10:23   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
Yes, Tiger reserve is on the left side of NH206 while going towards Sagar.

On the 2nd day, I think you can cover places 2, 3 and 4 along with Jog Falls. Koodli is far from Sagar/Jog and it's on NH13, so I think it will be difficult to cover this. Honnemaradu is pretty near to Sagar (~20 kms) and some adventure sports like camping, kayaking etc. are organized there. But, it would take more time. So, I think you can skip Honnemaradu as well.

Here is map containing tourist attractions in Shimoga district that can some idea on places:
http://www.hampi.in/images/shimoga.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

Thanks StarVegabond and 370Z. I will use this information during my travel.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 25th June 2010, 10:26   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
One hotel in Sagar is Hotel Varadashree. I do not know the other's name. This place is decent.
I called this hotel and came to know that room rent is between Rs. 300 to 500. They don't have any A/C room. Looking at the room rent, I am wondering about the room quality and related stuff? Can someone share more info about this hotel or any other one?
Regards,
Sarin
Old 28th June 2010, 07:22   #1134
Team-BHP Support

New in Times of India Today :

Landslides reported at Kali river entrance (the Goa side of the bridge).
Folks traveling on that stretch; be careful.

There is also a snap shown in the newspaper.

Old 28th June 2010, 09:32   #1135
BHPian

Karwar-Goa its raining pretty heavily over last few days. As always the rainfall in this stretch is usually heavy unlike what is seen in Bangalore. Visibility on even straight roads can be a problem. Its advisable to exercise caution on all the ghat sections whether via Anmod, Sagar-Honavar,Amboli or Yellapur & some sections in Goa.
Old 5th July 2010, 08:51   #1136
BHPian

Guys how is the road near Karwar now? Has the land-slide thing fixed or the road remains unsafe? I am planning to go to Goa on 15th, if anyone has recent update please post.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:00   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Near JOG I know one homestay costing in the range of 500 to 800 per day per person I remember, they are good people and arrange jeep for visit to near by spots. PM me I can get you the contact and good deal since indirectly I know them. People who stayed there gave positive response and I am planning for a stay there too soon.

This is begining of season for JOG and expect August 20th this time to be in full glory. I request hold your patience to visit JOG. After heavy rain of 1 month it is worth visiting JOG and I suggest spend 2 nights /3 days plan. You will love the place.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 5th July 2010 at 12:04.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:03   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys how is the road near Karwar now? Has the land-slide thing fixed or the road remains unsafe? I am planning to go to Goa on 15th, if anyone has recent update please post.
As far as I know, there was only loose gravel. The road was not blocked I guess.
But good to confirm.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:13   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
The road is very much open & in any case it can't remain in that state for long as that is the major road connecting Karwar to Goa. Boulders or gravel coming onto the road is not uncommon in this part during monsoon. Its very much safe though except if it rains like last october.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:27   #1140
BHPian

What will be the best route to reach Candolim, Goa? It will be a night drive starting from Bangalore at 6pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks