Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 19:34   #4966
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
So, to update on my friend's journey yesterday from Hubli to BLR in a Honda city.
Hope this helps!
Infinitely useful! Thanks again to you sir. Gave me a very good idea of what to expect during both to and fro conditions. I would have inserted the clapping gif, if it weren't too distracting :-).
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:51   #4967
rbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
That's the best route to South Goa.

I am driving tomorrow morning.

I am most probably going to take the Belgaum road as I am heading to North Goa or alternative turn after Hubli.
I am going to drive my Trailhawk tomorrow.

I will try and update the tread tomorrow evening.

Just for your information, for any of our folks travelling to Goa anytime soon, the roads till Tumkur are in great condition. If you don't hit rain, then you will make good speed and time. There are around 3-4 diversions after Chitradurga and around 3-4 diversions at Davangere.

Now comes the interesting part. Whether to take Bankapur Mundgod Yellapur forest narrow road or not. Well, if you reach Bankapur by 9 am and if you have a good suspension vehicle and you happen to like the rally stage like 78 Kms from Bankapur to Yellapur, then this road is a great stress buster. It will totally wake you up/refresh you after your stressful 5-6 odd hours from Bangalore to Bankapur. Beautiful and secluded and not at all unsafe even with family at this time of the day. The Mundgod area is dotted with settlements here and there and I saw many many KA-01,02,03,04,05 vehicles along the way on this stretch.

However, if you have a faster vehicle with a lower suspension, then I would suggest the Hubli route to Yellapur no doubt. I mean you will have to drop down the road to give way to oncoming vehicles. The Mundgod road is narrow and fast flowing (but not unmanageable).

Once you cross Yellapur, there are some broken patches around the minor ghat after Ankola, but again nothing is a deal breaker.

Once you cross Karwar it's a breeze till Polem checkpoint. After that, on Goan narrow roads, convoy style travelling experience begins.

I left Koramangala Sony signal at 4:38 am Saturday (28 November) and reached Holiday Inn, Cavelossim around 2 pm. One stoppage at Sira area and second stop for breakfast at Tibet monastery area at Mundgod.

Just got back yesterday (2nd December) to Bangalore. Started from Cavelossim Holiday Inn at 11:45 am and reached home around 10 pm.

Another update I did not face even a single bottle neck jam at any toll gate or Fastrack lane both to and from Goa.

All in all a wonderful trip and stay.

Hope this helps somebody!

Regards, Rahul.

Drive safe and swift.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2020 at 20:03. Reason: SMS lingo, excess dots
rbg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:02   #4968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Now comes the interesting part, whether to take bankapur mundgod yellapur forest narrow road or not. Well if you reach bankapur by 9am and if you have a good suspension vehicle and you happen to like the rally stage like 78 Kms from bankapur to yellapur then this road is a great stress buster...it will totally wake u up/refresh you after your stressful 5-6 odd hours from Bangalore to bankapur. Beautiful and secluded and not at all unsafe even with family at this time of the day..
However if you have faster vehicle with a lower suspension then I would suggest the Hubli route to yellapur no doubt..I mean you will have to drop down the road to give way to oncoming vehicles..the mundgod road is narrow and fast flowing(but not unmanageable).
Thanks a bunch for this; i am scheduled to drive to South Goa in 2 weeks with my wife and 2.5 year old daughter on my Seltos and have been reading up this thread quite a bit. Looks like the diversions till Davangere isnt a big deal. Like you, i am planning a 4 AM start and plan is to go non-stop till Davengere for b'fast at Apoorva.

I didnt entirely understand your comment on the Hubli route Vs the Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur. When you say rally-style, i assume you are referring to twisting/turning roads and not so much the surface... With the Seltos, ground clearance shouldnt be an issue but can you confirm if the road surface is good? Google maps suggests this route at ~600 kms from Whitefield and drive time of 11-12 hours. Also when you say drop down the road for oncoming vehicles, i assume this is because of narrow roads? From your post, I read that this is safe for a daytime commute as there are enough vehicles on the way

If I indeed take the Hubli route, then should I use the Hubli - Dharwad - Londa route to hit Goa, or would you suggest i head back to Yellapur from Hubli and then go thru Ankola? GMaps suggests this is ~675 kms

Plan is to stop at Ankola for lunch (I believe there's a Kamat/CCD in the same area there)

Did you take the same route for return too? I am planning an afternoon start and overnight stay at Royal Orchid, Shimoga instead of a non-stop drive

Lastly, any Covid related thermal checks/declarations/paper work at the Goa border?

Any other TBHP-ians, planning a Blr-Goa on the 17th early morning, please do let me know. Always good to have some like-minded company
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:14   #4969
rbg

Note from Support: Typos, spacing fixed. Please type complete sentences so that your posts are easier to read. Excessive dots removed. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Any other TBHP-ians, planning a Blr-Goa on the 17th early morning, please do let me know. Always good to have some like-minded company
Hi Aroon,
Let me try to answer with point wise responses.

1: Seltos can (will) reach Davangere/Apoorva before your best half or daughter will appreciate the early morning breakfast experience. Hence, I would suggest a home made tiffin for the family and target a Banyan tree near about Tibet monastery area (around 10k from Bankapur toll towards Mundgod).

2: By rally style road I meant spirited 3 & 4th gear foot. Single lane carriageway basically, oncoming autorickshaw also you will have to drop down to be safe (let's say 8 times) and overtaking a good engine (Innova or a TT or Marazzo, or fast hatch, or even a tractor) will require some entertaining efforts but NOTHING OUT OF COMFORT ZONE. Regarding surface, the Seltos should take it in its stride (I ride a diesel Rapid and it was just fine). Hence, ground clearance no issue (there are 3 diversions in the Bankapur Yellapur forest; narrow road and all of them are no problem - matter of 90 seconds negotiation).

3: Day time via Mundgod Yellapur forest is as safe as Bannerghatta during Saturday afternoon.

4: Since it's a Seltos, common sense (mine, I've done Bangalore-Goa 8 times since 2011) suggests that you take Mundgod without much afterthought and reach Yellapur ghat section in 70 mins from Bankapur toll.

5: Lunch plans! I personally don't recommend interacting with any highway hotels or CCDs or anything that involves human proximity or hygiene dependence. I stick to home cooked khichdi and black tea and Spotify music to support the family.

6: Return plans: if you have jog fall plans then may be you can think about the Shimoga route else I am not a fan of this route (especially with a toddler on board). May be others can have different opinion.

7: Covid: Let me just tell you this, Goa has brushed Covid under its carpet. One advice: wear mask for both front passenger once you cross Polem. It's a Rs. 400 fine (per person) for violation. I got caught but talked my way through. Holiday Inn did thermal checks (but it's all a facade, everybody gave up on Covid protocol, too much fatiguing).

8: Always better to ride fast and safe and solo (if confident), that way you experience the true experience.

9: I wish you a safe and swift highway travel @Aroon.

10: Don't forget your shades.

Thanks and stay safe!
Regards,
Rahul BG.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Grammarly!
rbg is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:31   #4970

Hi All - This is my first post while I have been a regular reader of posts. While I have been reading the Bangalore to Goa posts, am still uncertain on the road that I should take to Varca which am planning shortly.

Google maps suggest 11.5 hrs through the Tumkur - Chitradurga - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Varca but based on some of the threads, it seems the roads are better on the Shimoga - Honnavar - Ankola sector eventhough it adds another hour or so.

Kindly suggest which route should i take consider I dont want to be on the road for a long time. Also, on the Goa entry, is there any specific Covid check for KA vehicles and whether the Arogya Sethu app is sufficient - Thank you.
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:49   #4971
BHPian

Quote:
2: By rally style road I meant spirited 3 & 4th gear foot. Single lane carriageway basically, oncoming autorickshaw also you will have to drop down to be safe (let's say 8 times) and overtaking a good engine (Innova or a TT or Marazzo, or fast hatch, or even a tractor) will require some entertaining efforts but NOTHING OUT OF COMFORT ZONE. Regarding surface, the Seltos should take it in its stride (I ride a diesel Rapid and it was just fine). Hence, ground clearance no issue (there are 3 diversions in the Bankapur Yellapur forest; narrow road and all of them are no problem - matter of 90 seconds negotiation).
rbg, I must say your post was very useful and entertaining too. Rare to see such posts often! You have clearly spelt out the road conditions and helped me to firm up my plans, on the top of other inputs in previous posts. I see that you are new to T-BHP, and you are off to a rocking start! Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2020 at 18:58. Reason: Quote fixed.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:51   #4972
BHPian

Quote:
6: Return plans: If you have Jog Fall plans, then may be you can think about the Shimoga route else I am not a fan of this route (especially with a toddler on board). May be others can have different opinion.
Did Jog falls to Bangalore three times in the last two months. The drive is excellent.
The best route is Jog falls-> Sagar-> Shimoga->Chitradurga->Hiriyur-> Tumkur->Bangalore. When coming from Honavar to Jogfalls, There is around 20km of pretty winding roads and around 50km of reasonable winding roads. But road condition is excellent though.

You can take Jog->Sagar->Shimoga->Bhadravati->Hosadurga->Hiriyur->Tumkur->Bangalore as well. But the roads are bad near Hosadurga and a lot of speed breakers.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2020 at 18:57. Reason: Spacing fixed. Quoted post fixed.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:42   #4973
BANNED

Quote:
Just an fyi for any of our folks travelling to Goa anytime soon, the roads till Tumkur are in great condition..if you don't hit rain then you will make good speed and time...there are around 3-4 diversions after Chitradurga and around 3-4 diversions at Davangere.
Now comes the interesting part, whether to take bankapur mundgod yellapur forest narrow road or not. Well if you reach bankapur by 9am and if you have a good suspension vehicle and you happen to like the rally stage like 78 Kms from bankapur to yellapur then this road is a great stress buster...it will totally wake u up/refresh you after your stressful 5-6 odd hours from Bangalore to bankapur. Beautiful and secluded and not at all unsafe even with family at this time of the day..The mundgod area is dotted with settlements here and there...
I hit this road once a year around 4-5pm as I tend to wake up late. I often see Maruti 800s and Santros doing this stretch so if you drive relaxed its entirely possible for any car - just cannot guarantee If your non AT regular car tyres will not face a puncture situation especially if you take the detour to see the black rock formation... The Mundgod Rd (you fork off the NH just before a Toll naka to find it after another 30m drive down well laid village roads ) is heavenly when the sun isnt directly overhead, the closest you can get to Himalayan experience with its particular vegetation and tall forest trees surrounding the road... not to mention Tibetan refugee settlements.

IIRC there are two road stretches that fork - one going below Yellapur and one from the top If you look at the map - On one of them (I dont recall which) If you suffer a breakdown post 5pm then God only help you - the stretch is completely isolated and you may not see another vehicle for hours. In fact I was stopped by panicky group of cars that were frightened to proceed further at 530pm not knowing where they will reach... things do start looking bleak and scary by dusk and even I was tense with a slightly thudding heart if google maps had misled me and whether I would be stranded in dense forest at nightfall ...

Last edited by Ragul : 3rd December 2020 at 17:59.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:15   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aroon,
Let me try to answer with point wise responses
3: day time via mundgod yellapur forest is as safe as Bannerghatta during Saturday afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
The best route is Jog falls-> Sagar-> Shimoga->Chitradurga->Hiriyur-> Tumkur->Bangalore. When coming from Honavar to Jogfalls, There is around 20km of pretty winding roads and around 50km of reasonable winding roads. But road condition is excellent though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The Mundgod Rd (you fork off the NH just before a Toll naka to find it after another 30m drive down well laid village roads ) is heavenly when the sun isnt directly overhead, the closest you can get to Himalayan experience with its particular vegetation and tall forest trees surrounding the road... not to mention Tibetan refugee settlements.

IIRC there are two road stretches that fork - one going below Yellapur and one from the top If you look at the map - On one of them (I dont recall which) If you suffer a breakdown post 5pm then God only help you - the stretch is completely isolated and you may not see another vehicle for hours. In fact I was stopped by panicky group of cars that were frightened to proceed further at 530pm not knowing where they will reach... things do start looking bleak and scary by dusk and even I was tense with a slightly thudding heart if google maps had misled me and whether I would be stranded in dense forest at nightfall ...
Thanks all for the invaluable comments. Looks like the consensus is to do Chitradurga - Davengere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur -Ankola - Karwar is the suggested route. The only thing which worries me is the comments around this being very deserted and from a look on maps, it looks like this is pretty much amidst forests.

Also for the return thru Shimoga, it looks like Jog Falls - Sagar-Shimoga is the preferred route

thanks again
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:02   #4975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the consensus is to do Chitradurga - Davengere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur -Ankola - Karwar is the suggested route. The only thing which worries me is the comments around this being very deserted and from a look on maps, it looks like this is pretty much amidst forests.
There is another option, while distance will be little more but driving time will be comparable. From Bankapur toll booth go further on NH-48 and take left turn at Tadas to SH-1 to reach Kalaghatgi then continue on NH-52 to reach Yellapur - Karwar - Goa.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-btky.png

You can check my dashcam footage (return trip) taken in December 2017. I found this route much better than Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur route. BHPians visited recently can comment on current road condition.

Last edited by airbus : 3rd December 2020 at 22:21. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:54   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hubli - Karwar is in a drivable condition, barring some small stretches that has deep cuts and broken sections. Easily doable, but at slow speeds. The volume of trucks in this stretch is heavy.

The update is as of last Friday, that i took this very route to Goa. We left at 4 am in the morning and we were at South Goa by 12.45 pm, with just two short breaks in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
Hi,

Regarding Hubli-Karwar:

This stretch is good too for most part , its only in Arbail ghat section that the roads are bad ( Had been to Karwar last week). Honda city can easily go, provided you exercise caution around this stretch. If my memory serves me right , this stretch might be around 6-7 kms or may be less. Once you cross Arbail Ghat , all the way till Karwar, roads are very good.

Hope this answers, let me know if you need additional details.
Guys, quick query to the 2 of you as you seem to have done Blr-Goa thru Hubli recently. I am doing a trip in 2 weeks with my wife & 2.5 year old toddler and hence being a bit cautious on the route. Based on some earlier comments, few folks have suggested the Bankapur - Yellapur - Karwar route but there are posts suggesting that stretch can get a bit deserted and hence concerned.

Other option is thru Hubli, where I am assured of NH till Hubli. What would be the best route to hit South Goa (Royal Orchid Utroda Beach) from Hubli? GMaps shows shortest route is Hubli - Dharwad - Honnapur - Londa - Tinai Ghat - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Goa (170 kms; 4.5 hours). Do you have an idea of this route, especially quality of roads in the Ghats, or would you suggest Hubli - Karwar - South Goa, which appears to be a lot longer (1.5 hrs more, and ~75 kms)? Looks like both of you took the Karwar route. I will be in my Seltos, so GC is not an issue

Thanks in advance
Old 4th December 2020, 15:01   #4977
BANNED

Only one of the routes around is a little extra isolated (the bottom one that dips into a "V") but if you plan on touching Karwar by 5pm you should be good. I would recommend deciding on the actual day - if you wake up early and start early go for it - you will enjoy it like a forest picnic drive. ..
Edit: Correction - I was talking about the route that goes via Yana Rocks below (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-yanarockmap.png  

Last edited by Ragul : 4th December 2020 at 15:07.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:52   #4978
BHPian

Quote:

Other option is thru Hubli, where I am assured of NH till Hubli. What would be the best route to hit South Goa (Royal Orchid Utroda Beach) from Hubli? GMaps shows shortest route is Hubli - Dharwad - Honnapur - Londa - Tinai Ghat - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Goa (170 kms; 4.5 hours). Do you have an idea of this route, especially quality of roads in the Ghats, or would you suggest Hubli - Karwar - South Goa, which appears to be a lot longer (1.5 hrs more, and ~75 kms)? Looks like both of you took the Karwar route. I will be in my Seltos, so GC is not an issue

Thanks in advance
I am headed in that direction in few more days , to ITC Grand at Utorda from Hubli. As per my friend , who took that route , cautioned me to not miss the deviation at Tinai Ghat near Anmod. He did not follow google maps, as he is a regular ( which shows the deviation) and he missed it ( his XUV had to suffer because of that ) . So yah, my plan is stick to the route As suggested in the map I.e Dharwad-Londa-Tinai ghat.

Anyways I will update the road condition here once I reach Utorda. I personally have always taken the Karwar route ( to have some sea food along the way ) , this time I will try a different route.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 14:51   #4979
BHPian

Just reached Goa from Bangalore about an hour ago. Took 9 hours with a half an hour stop on the way. Route: Frazer Town - Hubli - Mugad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Dona Paula.

The Anmod route is much better than the Belgaum - Chorla route which I took back in October and which took me 11 and 12 hours each way respectively with the same half an hour break along the way.

Apart from 2 big ditches and having to occassionally take half the car off the road on the bypass around Anmod , it is a fast and good road. Even the bad parts are contained to a short stretch (about half an hour) and makes for a much less tiring drive.
Old 6th December 2020, 18:15   #4980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, quick query to the 2 of you as you seem to have done Blr-Goa thru Hubli recently.

Thanks in advance
I see the latest post here and the Anmod route seems to be a enjoyable one and maybe , that makes sense.

Sorry , I am not too sure for an opinion of any other road because I just stuck till Hubli for the NH and then took it easy via Kalghati and the ghats to Karwar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks