Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 18:27   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Yercaud : Route Queries

Update on Yercaud-Kuppanur-Bangalore Road

I recently took this road, and thought I should update this thread here.

Many posts (mostly about 2 years or more older) here mention that this road is in a very bad shape and is suitable only for SUVs etc. Reading all that, I was also quite apprehensive about this road, and avoided it all the time so far. However, this time, since I was in my Thar 4x4, I decided to try this out. I expected to face bad roads as mentioned in many older posts here.

However, to my pleasant surprise, this road is absolutely great now! This road is all fixed, all good tarmac, and very scenic road. Absolutely fantastic road. Even more scenic than the Yercaud-Salem road, with only about 10% the traffic of that road. I am sure to take this road again when going to Yercaud.

The exact route I took is shown in the map below (in the map I have shown only till Krishnagiri, since from there to Bangalore it is the usual 6-lane national highway anyways).

The route I took:
Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-map1.png

Notice that this avoids the crowded Harur town too. The road I took was all smooth and scenic Tamil Nadu state highway. Totally loved it.

Coming back to Yercaud-Kuppanur road, at the beginning (first few km from Yercaud), there are a few steep and narrow turns and hairpin bends. The road surface is all smooth, but the road is quite narrow. If two vehicles comes from the opposite direction, it might need careful maneuvering to manage that. But nothing too bad as such.

The initial narrow portion (it gets narrower on a couple of tight corners):
Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-tharsolosm30.jpg

However, after that initial narrow patch (which is about 7km or so in length, I thought), the road becomes wider, the tarmac is smooth, and this road is an absolute joy.

My Thar on the wider sections of the road:
Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-tharsolodsc31.jpg

The road is quite scenic too, with views like these:
Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!-tharsolodsc30.jpg

Overall, this is great road. All smooth now and perfect even for low slung sedans. I am sure to use this route again instead of the usual (and crowded) Salem-Yercaud road.
Dr.AD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 20:29   #362
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai - Yercaud : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Overall, this is great road. All smooth now and perfect even for low slung sedans. I am sure to use this route again instead of the usual (and crowded) Salem-Yercaud road.
Harur town has a decent bypass. And also the bad road comment was always about Danishpet side of descent.

The Kupanur side has been decent but narrow. And the road to Harur has always been good to decent. I tried this many years back and even I enjoyed.

Also there is a long term to plan to expand the Tirupathur-Uthangarai-Harur-Salem into a new expressway (Chennai-Salem Expressway). Info Link

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2023 at 20:32.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:58   #363
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!

Any new updates regarding the Bangalore - Yercaud route? Planning a drive next week.
Old 3rd January 2024, 08:19   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Yercaud Queries. EDIT: Avoid the Danishpet route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Any new updates regarding the Bangalore - Yercaud route? Planning a drive next week.
The straight-forward route to Yercaud is via Salem.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks