Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2024, 09:02   #2356
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is downward traffic, i.e. from Ooty to Masinagudi being allowed now? I thought only TN43 (Ooty RTO) vehicles were allowed.
Not allowed for anything other than TN43, but I'm told one can hire a local driver to drive one down Sigur which is allowed !!
Old 8th April 2024, 11:44   #2357

Hi,
(1) Tomorrow 9-Apr we are going Bangalore - Ooty- Coonoor. Been reading about taking the 36-hairpin bends on the way uphill. Is the traffic expected to be heavy (holiday) tomorrow?
(2) Will return from Coonoor on Thursday 11-Oct. Should we return via Salem or Mysore. Any recommendations?
Old 8th April 2024, 12:08   #2358
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTucson2021 View Post
Hi,
(1) Tomorrow 9-Apr we are going Bangalore - Ooty- Coonoor. Been reading about taking the 36-hairpin bends on the way uphill. Is the traffic expected to be heavy (holiday) tomorrow?
(2) Will return from Coonoor on Thursday 11-Oct. Should we return via Salem or Mysore. Any recommendations?
Answer to #1 will be speculative and anyone’s guess.
You can take a chance by starting early such that you get into the forest at Bandipur when they open the gate at 6am. That should hopefully make your journey better from a traffic standpoint.

If you’re returning to Bangalore from Coonoor, take Mettupalayam-Annur-NH544 route via Salem.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:36   #2359

Update of 11-Apr-24 drive Wellington-Ooty-Gudalur-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore, 340 Km, 8 hours driving time.

The hill roads are newly surfaced - except for -
(1) Between Ooty & Gudalur, two 100 Meter stretches where bridges are under construction.
(2) The Eucalyptus tree covered 1 Km has deep craters on the road. Need to navigate the death traps with 100% alertness and driving sometimes at an angle to the curb.
(3) Inside Maudumalai forest - 2 narrow diversions for bridge construction. You may have to wait to let bus/truck pass.

Other observations FYI -
- there was a que of over 50 vehicles at the checkpost to enter TN at about 14:30 Hrs, 11-Apr
- multiple 'Election checking' barriers on the way. The inspectors were polite and went about their duties without any fuss. We were asked for destination & phone number (which will land up with some marketing company I guess) - so I gave a 'not so truthful' mobile number.
- drove through Mysore city taking in the sights & sounds instead of the ring road :-0
- the roads right from Bandipur (exiting the forest) to Kingeri (outskirts of Bangalore) was a pleasure to drive.

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20240412-11.29.59-1.jpeg
Vehicles at KA/TN state border

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20240412-11.29.59.jpeg
A tusker looking for some respite from the scorching sun.
MyTucson2021 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 17:46   #2360
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
- there was a que of over 50 vehicles at the checkpost to enter TN at about 14:30 Hrs, 11-Apr
I was driving down from Ooty in the morning and the queue was much longer around 11:30 am. It was atleast a km long waiting to enter into TN. Still you could find a couple of "smart" guys coming across on the wrong side

I can't imagine how crowded the tourist spots will be today and tomorrow. There was enough parking woes when I visited on Wed. A couple of cars had their clutch burnt at the Doddabetta peak.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 11:05   #2361

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I was driving down from Ooty in the morning and the queue was much longer around 11:30 am. It was atleast a km long waiting to enter into TN. Still you could find a couple of "smart" guys coming across on the wrong side

I can't imagine how crowded the tourist spots will be today and tomorrow. There was enough parking woes when I visited on Wed. A couple of cars had their clutch burnt at the Doddabetta peak.
Hi,
Did you pay @ Rs 20 Park Fee when entering Bandipur - twice, when going up and down? Any idea if this fee is a genuine government charge or locals making a fast buck?

The amount is nominal and am not complaining about the amount - but am suspicious about the guy in slippers & camouflage shirt collecting the money.
Old 13th April 2024, 15:59   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Did you pay @ Rs 20 Park Fee when entering Bandipur - twice, when going up and down? Any idea if this fee is a genuine government charge or locals making a fast buck?

The amount is nominal and am not complaining about the amount - but am suspicious about the guy in slippers & camouflage shirt collecting the money.
Yes...I did pay thr amount both ways and he gave the receipt as well. There was a signboard there displaying thr amount as 20 for LMV amd 50 for HMV.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 22:53   #2363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Quote:
Other observations FYI -
Today I returned from Ooty to Bangalore and the queue entering TN from Bandipur was more than 5km long. I am not joking about this, from the point where we enter TN all the way till almost the Bandipur entry check post there was a complete queue of vehicles. People had also started getting down from the car and taking a walk in the forest

Ooty was jam packed and I had been there for a two day escape from Bengaluru heat. Since sight seeing was not in my plan, we only drove to Lovedale and Avalanche and enjoyed pretty empty roads while there was complete chaos in town and around the popular places. The onward journey to Ooty was excellent via Masinagudi and I could cover that in no time, however return journey was annoying since the route passes through all the sight seeing places and this was all crowded with buses and Tempo travellers trying to drop off people and what not. Ended up taking 3hrs just to reach Gudalur while I had done Mysore - Ooty in the same amount of time. After Gudalur, reaching Gundlupet took another 1.5hrs even though our side of traffic was less, thanks to few people on the opposite side who felt it was a good idea to skip the long queue.

And the long queue was simply due to TN police checking vehicles for liquor. On 11th May there were only 10 vehicles when I drove this way and we were stopped. They were curious to check each and every bag for liquor even though it was only me and wife in the car and we had an empty boot with only two backpacks.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 18:15   #2364
BHPian

Avalanche is absolutely waste of time till we get sufficient rains this season. It was bone dry when we went in February.

Police should control the traffic towards Doddabetta at Ooty itself, or at the Doddabetta junction. There is absolutely no space for Cars to turn back also, during long weekends and festivals.
Old 15th April 2024, 18:48   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Police should control the traffic towards Doddabetta at Ooty itself, or at the Doddabetta junction. There is absolutely no space for Cars to turn back also, during long weekends and festivals.
I agree on the Doddabetta part. Though I went to Ooty by car, we hired a cab for local sight seeing to avoid the parking hassles. They should stop all private cars at the junction and increase the bus service. They already have one bus running to and fro at 40 Rs per head.

When talking to the cab driver, he said there some private jeeps and Gurkhas which the govt. has contracted out and that lobby will not allow a bus service.
Old 15th April 2024, 19:18   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And the long queue was simply due to TN police checking vehicles for liquor.
Could well be exacerbated by stringent checking for LS elections.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks