Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 11:50   #46
BHPian

Hi Hvkumar,

Thanks a lot for the useful information.. I will use that route.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am doing the route suggested by HVkumar tomorrow on a Karizma

Shall post the pics of the trip on Sunday.......Anyone has done this route very recently?
Old 29th December 2008, 13:17   #48
BHPian

Bangalore - Kodaikanal

Took the route as suggested by HVKumar. Thanks for all the help HVKumar.

Started from Bangalore (Sarjapur Ring Road junction) at 12:40 am on 25th Dec. Cruised till Thoppur (150 km in 2.5 hours). Krishnagiri to Dharmapuri section is done, so no potholes. Also Dharmapuri bypass ensures that one do not lose time inside the town.
From Thoppur the surface was little rough, and patchy for some streches. The road is two lane and had to slown down considerably till Bhavani, and also in the Bhavani-Perunthurai strech owning to having truck traffic in Salem-Coimbatore highway, and work in progress streches.
Once off from NH in Perunthurai, there was barely any traffic. However, towards the morning heavy mist engulfed us, visibility down to 10 ft after the bonnet. Was driving at 10 kmph, with headlights and hazard ligfhts on.
In between lost time around 10 minutes in one accident (my vehicle touched an Innova which braked suddenly, and my vehicle skidded after putting hard brake) and 20 minutes in railway crossing after Perunthurai.
Stopped at a Idli joint after crossing Palani, at the beginning of the road going to Kodai. Though on the expensive side (one Idli - 5/-, Coffee - 8/-, Tea - 6/-), the food is fresh. It took exactly seven hours to complete the strech of 340 km.
Started from there at around 8:00 and reached Kodai at 10:30 am. Last 80 odd km was done by my friend, as I was feeling tired and sleepy. In between I drove about 10 km in Ghat to get the thrill.

Lonely Planet guided us to the Royal Tibetan restaurant in PT Road for an early lunch. After lunch crashed to bed to compensate for the night's sleep. Next two day's was various sight seeings - Kodaikanal Lake, Coaker's walk, Bryant Park, Green Valley View, Pillar Rock, Bear Shola Falls, Upper Lake View, etc.

The way back was even faster in the daylight. Started at 7:30 am in the morning (28th Dec), stopped at the same Idli joint for 20 minutes and started again at 9:30. Was in Bhavani by 12:00, Stopped at BP Petrol bunk/A2B for lunch just after Thoppur at 1:45, started from there at 2:15 to reach home by 4:30.

Fuel efficiency was on the onward journey + sightseeings in Kodai, 9.75 km/l, and for return journey (till Hosur, filled full tank in Hosur to take advantage of lower price compared to Bangalore) 12 km/l.

Now, looking at the average speed at various legs of the journey, and with the condition of NH7, I feel it might be faster to go via Dindigul, though the route might be longer. What's your opinion?
arindamray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2008, 16:20   #49
catchvinny

@arindamray

I am planning to leave for kodaikanal tomorrow evening by car (we are 8 people driving in two cars), and follow the same route taken by you.

I can manage upto palani, but could you please let me know the direactions to kodaikanal from palani? I was unable to find any maps indicating road from palani to kodai.

I will be leaving at 6:00 PM in the evening tomorrow.

Also please let me know about the weather condition in kodaikanal. (just curious)

Rest everything is posted by you is enough to foresee the road conditions.

Old 30th December 2008, 18:37   #50
BHPian

@catchvinny: If you are catching palani bypass, after hitting the NH 209, turn left (towards Dindigul), go another 1 km, you will get the road to Kodai on your right. If you are going through the Palani town, you have to go straight crossing NH 209.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:42   #51
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good hotel to stay in Kodai? I am leaving on Saturday morning with my wife. Planning to take the same route prescribed by Dr.HVKumar! Any suggestions?
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:50   #52
BHPian

Hi Tom,

check out holidayiq.com; they have numerous hotels listed for Kodai and the best part is you can get the contact details too (think there is a simple registration process to go through to access the details).

Cheers & have fun,
Jammy70
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi Tom,

check out holidayiq.com; they have numerous hotels listed for Kodai and the best part is you can get the contact details too (think there is a simple registration process to go through to access the details).

Cheers & have fun,
Jammy70
Thank you sir!

Cheers,
Tom
Old 27th January 2009, 18:34   #54
BHPian

We are back from Kodai!

I used the route Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Chennimalai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Palni - Kodai

We started off from Bangalore on Saturday morning 4am. Till Thoppur, the road is really good and can safely manage 120 kmph. From Thoppur roads are decent but a few uneven stretches; could manage a consistent 100 kmph till Mettur. It was past 6.30 by the time I reached Mettur and it was a scenic drive till Bhavani; again a consistent 100 kmph. It was more crowded from Bhavani to Perundurai. The NH 47 work is in progress and need to change lanes in a few places. From Perundurai till Kangayam, the roads are better (but only single lane) and less traffic. From Kangayam roads are even better till Dharapuram and from there to Palani (can cruise at 120 all the way). And roads to Kodai were too good for a high-rage. And we reached Kodai at 11 am. It was a 7 hrs non-stop drive.

We got sufficient time to roam-around in Kodai on Saturday afternoon and evening. On Sunday got up in the morning, after checking out from the hotel, covered all the remaining places and started off to Bangalore by 1 pm. The roads were more crowded than the on-ward journey and it took a good 8 hrs to reach Banaglore.

Watch-out for the villegers once you enter TN. My wife counted at least 20 2-wheelers coming in the wrong side in the 4-lane highway between Thoppur and Banagalore.

It was a nice and quick trip. Thanks HVKumar for the route info. You are truly da "Man"!cheers:

PS: (There is a minor thing to update - Distance is 437 kms from MG Road, Banaglore)

Last edited by TomRider : 27th January 2009 at 18:36.
TomRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2009, 16:05   #55
BHPian

Thank you all for this great thread.
Can some one validate the below data as of March 2009?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Streatch: Distance in Kms : Road Condition: Avg Time
------------|--------------------------|----------------------
Bangalore - Hosur: 44 : Excellent : 00:45Hrs
Hosur - Krishnagiri: 50 : Excellent : 00:30Hrs
Krishnagiri - Thoppur: 56 : Excellent : 00:30Hrs
Thoppur - Mettur: 36 : Very Good : 00:30 Hrs
Mettur - Bhavani: 47 : Very Good : 00:40Hrs
Bhavani - Perundurai: 25 : Good : 00:30Hrs
Perundurai - Kangayam: 33 : very Good : 00:25Hrs
Kangayam - Dharapuram: 36 : Very Good : 00:30Hrs
Dharapuram - Udumalpet: 45 : Very Good : 00:45Hrs
Udumalpet - Munnar: 63 : Decent : 02:30Hrs

I'm planning a trip by end of April 2009 to Munnar from Bangalore. Expected start time is 4:30am and with a less than 1 yr baby onboard. Any suggestions, data, details are welcome - please consider the summer - and car - Wagon R.
Old 9th March 2009, 02:01   #56
BHPian

Bijuks: looks too optimistic. First three streches would require 15 minutes extra for each of them. First one depending where are you starting in Bangalore.

After Perundurai, there is a railway crossing, so you might lose some time there.

I was driving a safari and with all adults.
Old 10th March 2009, 21:31   #57
BHPian

Thank you Arindam.

Any idea about the timing on udumalpettai-Munnar route?
Old 11th March 2009, 00:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Thank you Arindam.

Any idea about the timing on udumalpettai-Munnar route?
It will be between 2:00 to 2:30. The route is scenic, so you might stop over to soak in the beauty.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:07   #59
BHPian

bijuks:
The Thoppur to Bhavani route is also not that good now. Did this route two weeks back. Like Mr. Arindam said, almost all the timings given by you looks optimistic.

In Udumalpet to Munnar route (after TN checkpost), you could encounter some wild animals. (mostly Elephants) This route will be deserted after sunset. Not advisable to travel after sunset.

Last edited by MadRash : 11th March 2009 at 12:09.
Old 11th March 2009, 20:47   #60
BHPian

Thank you Mahesh and Arindam.

I am changing the expected timings as per your advice:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Streatch: Distance in Kms : Road Condition: Avg Time
------------|--------------------------|----------------------
Bangalore - Hosur: 44 : Excellent : 01:00Hrs
Hosur - Krishnagiri: 50 : Excellent : 00:45Hrs
Krishnagiri - Thoppur: 56 : Excellent : 00:45Hrs
Thoppur - Mettur: 36 : Very Good : 00:30 Hrs
Mettur - Bhavani: 47 : Very Good : 01:00Hrs
Bhavani - Perundurai: 25 : Good : 00:30Hrs
Perundurai - Kangayam: 33 : very Good : 00:30Hrs
Kangayam - Dharapuram: 36 : Very Good : 00:30Hrs
Dharapuram - Udumalpet: 45 : Very Good : 01:00Hrs
Udumalpet - Munnar: 63 : Decent : 02:30Hrs

The revised (more practical) timings indicates a total driving time of around 9:00Hrs. Hope this will work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks