Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 19:48   #166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Thanks, man! Yep, I am going to Kodai first and now in a fix on which route to take Rather, Salem does not fall in the tbhp-recommended route!

Take the NH7 till Dindigul. That's the standard route to Kodai, if you want to reach after. As some one said earlier, if you want a scenic drive, go via Palani.

I guess NH7 should be anyday better.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, man! Yep, I am going to Kodai first and now in a fix on which route to take Rather, Salem does not fall in the tbhp-recommended route!
this is a recent development as the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani stretch has developed bad sections and simultaneously the Salem stretch has become good,so all in all stick to the NH7 till Salem(the mettur-bhavani stretch is just a diversion to avoid Salem as 4 laning work was in progress in Salem) and frm thereon both the routes are good.Maybe you could go via Dindigul to Kodai and come back to Blore via NH47 from Munnar.That way you would get a taste of both roads.
Old 24th December 2009, 20:07   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
this is a recent development as the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani stretch has developed bad sections and simultaneously the Salem stretch has become good,so all in all stick to the NH7 till Salem(the mettur-bhavani stretch is just a diversion to avoid Salem as 4 laning work was in progress in Salem) and frm thereon both the routes are good.Maybe you could go via Dindigul to Kodai and come back to Blore via NH47 from Munnar.That way you would get a taste of both roads.
I second this option. Will work very well. While coming back from Munnar pack some food from the resort itself. Not many good places to eat till you hit Salem.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:07   #169
BHPian

thanks ranjit & ampere for the suggestions! I'll then stick to the salem-dindigul route - also will take a break at salem.
on the way back, i'm planning to go to madurai. munnar was the original plan, but i'd rather want to spend a coupla relaxing days in munnar and do it next time round ..
anyway, from madurai will take the NH7 back to bangalore.

btw, if any of you guys gone to madurai, can you tell me if i need to book acco in advance? i'm planning to be there on 1st afternoon - hope getting acco for just an overnight stay would not be too much of an issue?
Old 24th December 2009, 21:25   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks ranjit & ampere for the suggestions! I'll then stick to the salem-dindigul route - also will take a break at salem.
on the way back, i'm planning to go to madurai. munnar was the original plan, but i'd rather want to spend a coupla relaxing days in munnar and do it next time round ..

btw, if any of you guys gone to madurai, can you tell me if i need to book acco in advance? i'm planning to be there on 1st afternoon - hope getting acco for just an overnight stay would not be too much of an issue?
Would recco booking in advance as its the new year time and btw Munnar & madurai are close to each other
Old 24th December 2009, 21:26   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

There are umpteen number of hotels of all budgets in Madurai. You need not book. But yes, you can do some google search and keep a hotel contact phone more from the view of finding the place etc. From that point of view you can make a symbollic booking. Other than that no bookings as such would be needed. You can find hotels of your own choice.
Old 24th December 2009, 22:35   #172
BHPian

Ok - I'll keep some contacts & possibly even do a booking.

Yep, I was aware of the proximity of both munnar and madurai - but i'd rather do only munnar some other time early next yr would love to spend at least a couple of days there!
Old 24th December 2009, 22:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I second this option.
Yes. Coming back from Munnar to Blr is always better through Udumalpettai - Bhavani - Mettur route.

Quote:
thanks biju! it'll be nice n easy to drive if the highway is good. could you the distance from Blr to kodai in this route - rather wanted to know how much more is the distance from the usual route taken by most.
Blr to Dindigul is approx 370Km. From there to Kodai turn-off in Theni route is some 38Km. From there to Kodai 59. Total approx 467Km. Can do comfortably in 8.5 to 9.5 Hrs.
Old 24th December 2009, 23:03   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok - I'll keep some contacts & possibly even do a booking.

Yep, I was aware of the proximity of both munnar and madurai - but i'd rather do only munnar some other time early next yr would love to spend at least a couple of days there!

Yes that needs to be done at leisure ! Also Munnar should be done in Dec. As rains would have completed, winter would be just approaching and all the lakes would be full. An amazing time !

Just a teaser !

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-dsc00634.jpg
Old 26th December 2009, 23:25   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a lot of people headed this side of the south Me too leaving for Kodai next tues/wed - i am in need of the following inputs, please help:
- road condition between Blr-Kodai (the usual Tbhp recommended route [FONT=&quot]Blr -> hosur -> mettur -> bavani -> dharapuram -> palani -> kodai)
- I plan to start from Blr in the afternoon, cover around 300-odd kms and intend to take an overnight break, since I am the lone driver. What would be a decent place in the recommended route?[/FONT]
I am just back from a Blr-Palani-Blr trip. I second others' suggestion to take NH7. The section metween Mettur and Bhavani is quite rough. The scenery is lovely though (Stanley Reservoir). More details at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1652368
Old 27th December 2009, 10:31   #176
BHPian

thanks, man. saw the link and I will stick to NH7 - going by your description, surely the cruise option will be missed! eagerly looking fwd to the trip now
Old 4th January 2010, 23:17   #177
BHPian

guys, I finally did the blr-kodai-madurai-Blr trip.
Blr-Kodai took the Salem-Dindigul-Vattlagundu-Kodai route. Distance-wise, I feel this is probably much longer to get to Kodai in comparison to the Mettur-Bhavani route, but it surely is a pleasure to drive on. the NH7 is such a well built highway - hardly feel the additional distance!

the NH7 is simply awesome all the way from Madurai-Blr - fatigue free and really quick too. i guess i took just a lil' over 6 hours to get to Blr on the way back! Will put up a detailed travelogue soon ..
Old 5th January 2010, 11:12   #178
BHPian

royalcruiser. waiting for your travelogue eagerly.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:41   #179

Current Road conditions from Bangalore to Kodaikanal

Hi all,

I am planning to drive from Blore to Kodaikanal during Jan 10. I am aware of a couple of routes from this thread.

I wanted to know the road conditions in case someone has travelled recently.
Old 6th January 2010, 22:16   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhorahul View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to drive from Blore to Kodaikanal during Jan 10. I am aware of a couple of routes from this thread.

I wanted to know the road conditions in case someone has travelled recently.
Whichever route you take - via Dindigul or via Dharapuram - roads are good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks