Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 09:44   #1261
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

I will be driving from Bangalore to Munnar & back next week. My original plan was to go to Wayanad but changed the destination to Munnar since we were able to get accommodation in Club Mahindra.

I want to take the Salem - Dindigul - Theni route for both onward & return journeys as this seems to be the quickest as per google maps, given where the resort is located.

My plan is to start early morning 4 am from Whitefield. There are a lot of holidays in that week & its highly likely that there will be a lot of traffic on the highways but I anticipate reaching the resort by 2-3pm with 2-3 stops in between. Just want to know if it will be safe to drive from Whitefield to Attibele via Varthur / Sarjapur in the wee hours of the morning or should I stick to ORR - Silkboard?

I've never been to Munnar before & the most I've driven on this route is till Dindigul. Could someone please let me know how are the latest road conditions between Dindigul & Munnar? How's the current road condition in the last stretch i.e. between Bodi & Club Mahindra? I'll be driving in my Verna.

I know there are many places to see in Munnar but I believe they can't all be covered in a 3 day trip. So I have short-listed the following places for this trip:
Day 1: Top Station, Kundala Dam & Echo Point
Day 2: Eravikulam National Park, Lockhart Gap View & Anayirangal Dam

I would really appreciate some inputs on the following:

1. I'll start off with a very basic question: are all the places I've mentioned above marked correctly on google maps? I'll be relying completely on google maps & android auto!

2. Would 12 noon be a good time to reach Top Station? Given the long journey on the previous day, I don't intend to start too early especially since my parents will be coming along.

3. How are the road conditions between Chinnakanal & Top Station? Has the road work between Poopara & Munnar been completed?

4. For Eravikulam National Park, I intend to reach the ticket counter by 8.45 am. Is this early enough to ensure low wait times or should we get there even earlier that this? How's the road from Munnar to Eravikulam?

5. Is there an option of purchasing tickets in advance for Eravikulam? I read something like this on their website but not sure how or where exactly to obtain them from.

6. Ideally I'd like to do both but if I have a choice of boating at any one place among Kundala Dam & Anayirangal Dam (Elephant Above Boating Center), which one should I go for?

7. In terms of food, apart from the resort itself where we will be having some of the meals, I have shortlisted "Gurubhavan", "Rapsy" & "Alibaba & 41 Dishes" as options for lunch when we are out and about in Munnar. Any local dishes that you would recommend (preferably non-veg)?

8. Any recommended petrol pumps in Munnar?

9. Anything else to watch out for?
Old 23rd October 2019, 19:42   #1262
BHPian

I drove Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar-Chinnakanal--Suryanelli--Bodimettu--Bodi in the first week of October.

There is still road work happening between Poopara and Munnar. Some sections of the road are superb with wide roads while rest was full of slush. Bodimettu to Suryanelli is not bad except at few patches. Suryanelli to chinnakanal is not in a good state.
SUBRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 08:42   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
I drove Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar-Chinnakanal--Suryanelli--Bodimettu--Bodi in the first week of October.

There is still road work happening between Poopara and Munnar. Some sections of the road are superb with wide roads while rest was full of slush. Bodimettu to Suryanelli is not bad except at few patches. Suryanelli to chinnakanal is not in a good state.
Thanks a lot for that update.

I need to go to Club Mahindra Munnar in Chinnakanal. Would you suggest taking the Bodi-Poopara-Chinnakanal route over Bodi-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal? I don't mind if it takes more time as long as this section is better.
Old 24th October 2019, 09:47   #1264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I will be driving from Bangalore to Munnar & back next week.
Lots of questions, let me see if I can help answer at least few of them
  • With a 4am start you don't get any benefit taking the Varthur route, but since you start from Whitefield, it's easier than going through the ORR (if you're starting on the first day of the holiday weekend, google maps should help you with traffic situation to take a call)
  • Easy to cover the places to see in and around Munnar in 2-3 days! Since you're staying at Chinnakanal, it is 20+Km to Munnar town so that itself needs about an hour of driving. The places to see like Matupetty Dam (not in your list ?), echo point, Kundala Dam and Top station (road ends there for civilians) are in the same route and you basically go in that order. Boating is good at Kundala Dam (I haven't visited Anayirangal) If you start in the morning around 8-9am, you can visit and return by 3-4pm unless there is too much tourist crowds due to the holiday weekend (lunch may be an issue, carry something or make do with what you get at Top station). On your return, you can visit the Tea Museum which is good
  • Eravikulam is on the Munnar-Udumalaipet road, I don't know about the ticketing but I guess 8:30am should be fine to get there, again subject to crowds
  • Food in Munnar town - some of the decent restaurants are Saravana Bhavan (veg), a Rajasthani veg. place that was nice (on the way to KSRTC bus stand/Munnar Stadium) and one more was Silver Spoon (I think they serve Non-veg also).
  • Petrol pump - as you head out of Munnar town towards the Top station road (all other sightseeing points are along same road), you will see a Bharat Petroleum bunk on the left and that is decent
  • Roads between Dindigul-Theni-Bodi should be fine, it's only the last stretch of the ghats towards Chinnakanal where there was road work

Last edited by NPV : 24th October 2019 at 09:55.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 15:44   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Similarly while returning, till Avinashi I dont see much options. We are talking 90km/3 hours (Munnar-Udumalpet) and another 90 minutes to Avinashi (80km).

Hi!

I am travelling to Siena Village Chinnakanal this weekend as follows-

Bangalore - Coimbatore (stopover) - next day to Chinnakanal

The recommended route is via Theni by the property which is around 269 kms and around 7 hours.

Google shows this as the shortest route - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Kurchikottai- Maryoor which is 179 kms and 5.20 mins. Does any one have a first hand update on the road condition?

Also can please suggest if the extra 100kms is worth it or if we can take to Pollachi route.

Return would be straight to Bangalore via Theni so no worries

Thanks,
Girish

Last edited by girishglg : 6th November 2019 at 15:46.
Old 6th November 2019, 16:11   #1266
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post

The recommended route is via Theni by the property which is around 269 kms and around 7 hours.
Chinnakanal is about 20km away from Munnar town, so if you go via Pollachi-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar you have to drive in the hills again to get to chinnakanal.(Coimbatore as the choice for overnight stay seems circuitous, you can easily go directly from Bangalore to Pollachi and stay overnight there).
Hence your resort is also suggesting going via Theni (Bangalore-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal). There was some road widening work beyond Bodi, I'm not sure what the condition is currently, please check with your resort on the details of the route from Bodi onwards.
If taking this route, you can halt overnight at Dindigul or Theni.

*Unless you're starting late from Bangalore, you may not even need an overnight halt for both routes.

Last edited by NPV : 6th November 2019 at 16:14.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:28   #1267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had been to this very reseort almost a decade back! Would be great to hear from you how the place has withstood the test of time!

Quote:
Is Coimbattore a must place to go to? Or you are just looking at place to stay in between. If so, you can even consider Theni. But ideally the drive can be done in one go. An early 4AM start from Bangalore and you can make it to Chinnakanal by late noon early evening courtesy awesome 4-lanes till Dindigul and nice wide 2-lane till Theni. Its about 50km of ghats (max) beyond that.

Like NPV mentioned Chinnakanal is 22 km from Munnar toward Theni. Hence most resorts in Chinnakanal suggest coming via Theni to omit the extra distance to be covered. (Most folks Naturally assume people to be coming from Bangalore/Chennai bound highways and hence this suggestion to come via Theni for Chinnakanal).

But if Coimbattore is a must stop, then there is no need to go to Theni. Just do Pollachi/Uduamalpet-Marayoor/Munnar/Chinnakanal.

Udumalpet-Munnar is about 90km. Account for 3 hours for this stretch and another 45 minutes to an hour for last 22 km stretch to Chinnakanal. If you start very early from Coimbattore, you can enjoy the nice morning views on this Udumalpet-Munnar-Chinnakanal section.

Hope that helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:47   #1268
BHPian

Quote:

Google shows this as the shortest route - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Kurchikottai- Maryoor which is 179 kms and 5.20 mins. Does any one have a first hand update on the road condition?
Hi Girish,

As amepere quoted the best route to travel to Chinnakanal from Bangalore would be via Dindigul and Theni. After Theni until you cross Tamil Nadu and Kerala Border road condition is very good post reaching Kerala condition of the roads completely changes and there are lot of potholes and construction works till Chinnakanal and also till Munnar. The distance is some where around 20 to 30 Kms.

In case you are travelling via Marayoor roads are narrow but drivable. Post Eravikulam Entrance road conditions are again terrible due to construction works until you reach Chinnakanal.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:18   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
(Coimbatore as the choice for overnight stay seems circuitous, you can easily go directly from Bangalore to Pollachi and stay overnight there).
Yes need to stop over at Coimbatore for a catchup and some sight seeing hence the need to figure out the best route from Coimbatore - Chinnakanal.

Quote:
Had been to this very reseort almost a decade back! Would be great to hear from you how the place has withstood the test of time!

But if Coimbattore is a must stop, then there is no need to go to Theni. Just do Pollachi/Uduamalpet-Marayoor/Munnar/Chinnakanal.
Wow what a coincidence we had been to the very same resort 10 years back and this time tracing the same one just for nostalgia on our 10th anniversary

Me too looking forward to revisit this very same property again and will update upon return

The maps show two options for the Coimbatore - Munnar route-

1. Coimbatore - Pollachi - Manupatti- Maryoor - Munnar
2. Coimbatore - Uduamalpet - Manupatti- Maryoor - Munnar

Both show around 5.30 mins and 179kms.

The resort said Uduamalpet has many washed away stretches due to landslides hence suggesting Theni option. But he did not clarify if there is the same issue via Pollachi (point 1 above). If one can confirm that its driveable with some rough patches and safe then would like to take it up else just consider longer Coimbatore - Theni- Chinnakanal option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Hi Girish,

In case you are travelling via Marayoor roads are narrow but drivable. Post Eravikulam Entrance road conditions are again terrible due to construction works until you reach Chinnakanal.
The question here is - is it an isolated stretch or with less traffic and is it safe to travel in this route via the forest area etc, understand that the road condition itself is not great.
Old 7th November 2019, 11:52   #1270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Coimbatore - Pollachi - Manupatti- Maryoor - Munnar
2. Coimbatore - Uduamalpet - Manupatti- Maryoor - Munnar
Either way you will go via Udumalpettai. So I did not understand how the Pollachi option can bypass Udumalpettai.

Quote:
The resort said Uduamalpet has many washed away stretches due to landslides hence suggesting Theni option. But he did not clarify if there is the same issue via Pollachi (point 1 above). If one can confirm that its driveable with some rough patches and safe then would like to take it up else just consider longer Coimbatore - Theni- Chinnakanal option.
As I mentioned earlier, there is only one routing option to the best of my understanding and Theni is ruled out if you are coming from Coimbatore. That would be quite a detour.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:06   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Either way you will go via Udumalpettai. So I did not understand how the Pollachi option can bypass Udumalpettai.
I am sorry as I am not familiar with the territory however as per the map (attached) the two options from Coimbatore - Pollachi and Coimbatore - Udamalpet converge at Manupatti and then head towards Maryoor, hence checking.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-map.jpeg  

Old 7th November 2019, 12:11   #1272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sorry as I am not familiar with the territory however as per the map (attached) the two options from Coimbatore - Pollachi and Coimbatore - Udamalpet converge at Manupatti and then head towards Maryoor, hence checking.
Those are the near same options. Pollachi route gets you back to Udumalpet-Munnar road. Also Non-Pollachi option is all interior roads to Udumalpet.

You should Coimbattore-Pollachi-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar-Chinnakanal.

I guess there is no other option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 12:58   #1273
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, it will better to stick to the straight forward (and NH) route from Coimbatore via Pollachi and Udumalaipet to reach the forest checkpost and then proceed towards Marayoor. Couple years ago, some pipeline laying work was in progress around Udumalaipet town, quite sure that would be taken care of by now, leaving only the possibility of recent rain damage (see above post by @meetbadri).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 15:00   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

girishglg, I see that you are keen on figuring out the best route from Coimbatore to Chinnakanal. I have never been to Munnar, so my post is about Bangalore-Coimbatore section of your trip. I don't know if you are going by this route or via Krishnagiri-Salem.

I recently (31st Oct) went to Coimbatore from BLR via Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Dimbham-Sathy. I had posted about it in some other thread. Posting relevant bits here for your benefit.

Quote:
The road conditions between Chamarajanagar and Dimbham were pathetic with deep potholes and mud/slush due to overnight rains. There must have been around 25-30 places were one has to carefully crawl in 1st gear without knowing the depth of the pothole due to water and slush
The roads were super smooth once we enter TN at Hasanur.
Quote:
In its present state, CMNagar-Punjanur-Hasanur is pathetic. Met many folks who said they had underbody hits. Deep potholes and craters filled with slush and muddy water making you uncertain about the depth of the pothole. I was lucky to follow a carefully driven Skoda-Rapid and could gauge the depth from his/her actions. A Santro followed me using the same tactic. Still this road is used/preferred compared to Germalam route. I wonder why! Any update on the Germalam route will be nice.
Roads become awesome the moment you enter TN near Hasanur
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 20:10   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
The question here is - is it an isolated stretch or with less traffic and is it safe to travel in this route via the forest area etc, understand that the road condition itself is not great.
I have traveled in this route just about a month back while returning from Chinnakanal. This route has less traffic but there are no issues with respect to safety if you are travelling during day time.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks