Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 16:48   #91
BHPian

re: Pune to Ganpatipule : Route Queries

This is an old thread, so I am assuming roads have only got better and I have an Endy, so minor surface issues shouldn't be a concern. I am travelling from Pune to Ganapatipule tomorrow - and I am pretty convinced I want to go through Karad using NH4 rather than NH17. Question is - from Karad, do I take Patan-Chiplun or Malkapur-Pali? Looking at distance, and the wish to avoid NH17, I am leaning on Malkapur. Any suggestions? Anyone taken this route lately?
Old 1st October 2014, 23:42   #92
BHPian

@Siddhesh, I haven't done this route after monsoon (I did it in last week of May), but my experience on this road for last 10+ years indicate that the Karad - Kokrud - Malkapur road is a fairly good condition at all times. It is Malkapur - Pali stretch (Amba ghat/Dabhole ghat) that can get little potholes-ridden.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 6th October 2014, 15:16   #93
BHPian

Hi, I just returned from an exciting trip to Konkan... here's a quick update on the route and driving conditions.

As I had planned to, I took the Karad-Malkapur-Amba Ghat-Pali route. It was the first time I was trying this route - I generally use Khopoli-Pen for north Konkan, and either Mulshi, Mahabaleshwar or Varandha for Dapoli and nearby areas.

Driving to Karad was painful, with an exodus from Pune clogging all lanes, and resulting in extremely long wait times at toll plazas. I should have left very early in the morning, but didn't get out of Pune until 830 am, by which time traffic originating in Mumbai had really caught up this side of NH4. While I have earlier made Karad in less than 2 hours, it took us well over 3.5 hours, with around 25-30 mins just on Khambatki ghat.

The road to Malkapur and then through Amba to Pali is scenic, and the ghat itself is pretty simple and easy. The surface isn't too bad, except in a couple of places. And traffic is light. You can maintain a decent speed, but please slow down the moment you see a bad patch of surface coming up. We made it to Pali in just about 90 mins.

The important thing is to note that there are a bunch of forks/turns in the road that aren't marked very clearly, and it's important to ask (we checked on Google maps, in addition to asking local passersby) before you zoom off.

The fastest stretch was once we hit NH17, and then left it for the last 20 kms or so to Ganapatipule.

We took the same route coming back - and managed to find ourselves in a densely forested stretch just as a major storm with heavy rain and gale force winds hit us. While the Endy calmly took the debris on the road in it's stride, we could have been in trouble in a sedan. We almost missed a big branch that crashed just as we passed it, and the Endy took a big hit from another branch (that thankfully didn't leave any lasting impressions). A few meters ahead, we were blocked in our path by a huge fallen branch, and it took 6-7 of us men to push it aside and make way.

Net net, this is a good option to get down into Ratnagiri area. The Patan-Koyna route should also be similarly good. NH17 was not too bad actually, and with traffic much lighter than on the Pune-Karad stretch, you might just want to evaluate that option and then climb up through Mulshi or Khopoli!
Old 18th October 2014, 18:09   #94
BHPian

@siddheshb

I am planning to travel on this route next week. Any good places to eat after Malkapur or after you descend Amba ghat?

I am planning to leave @7 and reach Ratnagiri for lunch but if traffic is high may have to stop for lunch somewhere.

Last edited by CANPUSH : 18th October 2014 at 18:14. Reason: some change in details
Old 27th October 2014, 18:01   #95
BHPian

I traveled to Ratnagiri on 24th via Karad Malkapur Amba route and returned on 26th via Chiplun-Koyna nagar-Umbraj route.

Karad Malkapur Section and Koyna nagar Umbraj section are bad in patches. Both Ghats are not so bad but there are bad patches there too.

NH17 (NH66) is in good condition. Hardly any bad patches.

While returning on 26th there was very long traffic jam from Satara onwards. Hence, on advice from Police helpline we took Lonand-Nira-Jejuri route. Road is good in Patches but generally Bad. It was dark and raining. Still we could cover the distance (140 km against 110) in 3 hrs and 15 minutes.
Old 11th January 2015, 18:31   #96
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Pune to Ganapatipule on the republic day weekend, can any one reconfirm the route that should be taken on the basis of cuurent road conditions.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
I am planning to travel from Pune to Ganapatipule on the republic day weekend, can any one reconfirm the route that should be taken on the basis of cuurent road conditions.
I would recommend Pune - Karad - Malkapur - Amba - Pali - Hatkhamba - Ganapatipule. Road is generally good with some bad patches, particularly between Malkapur and Amba. Overall this is the most convenient and faster route.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 14:18   #98

Re: Which turnout for Varandha

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
As I had planned to, I took the Karad-Malkapur-Amba Ghat-Pali route. It was the first time I was trying this route - I generally use Khopoli-Pen for north Konkan, and either Mulshi, Mahabaleshwar or Varandha for Dapoli and nearby areas.
Siddhesh, how's the Varandha stretch up to Mahad? Plan to take this route next weekend. We'll be biking it, ex-bavdhan, and our destination is Jaigad. Google shows two turnouts off NH4 for Varandha. Which one's better, Kapurhol-Bhor or Shindewadi-Bhor? Thanks!
Old 28th September 2015, 14:59   #99
BHPian

Planning for Pune to Ganpatipule on Oct 2 long weekend.
is this a good time to visit Ganpatipule ?

Any update on the route. Road condition ?
BTW i will take Pune-->Satara route.

Except MTDC any other option to stay ?
Old 28th September 2015, 15:57   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

The most popular route Route

Pune- Satara-Karad-Right turn off NH4-State Hignway
Join NH204-Amba-Sakharpa-Pali-Hathkhamba- Ratnagiri
Ratnagiri-Ganapatipule

The right turn on NH4 after Karad is easy to miss. Its about 3 km after Karad flyover. Best to use GPS. I have not been there for over 2-3 years. Fellow members please provide any landmarks that will be helpful.

The road between NH4 turn to joining NH204 is a state highway. You need to driver very carefully as there might be some rough patches in between.

Amba to Sakharpa has a lot of hairpin bends, drive carefully.

Pali to Hatkhamba is a common section of NH17 and NH204

There are 2 routes between Ratnagiri to Ganpatipule. One of them is very scenic, if in doubt, just use GPS or follow road signs.

Start early and carry lots of water and snacks. I usually prefer to have tea/sugarcane juice when needed, no idea of good food joints,

Apart from MTDC there are some hotels that have come up next to Ganpatipule bus stop. Since its a long weekend, book

If you prefer a quieter location, try homestays/hotels/cottages in a neighboring town named Malgund (1 km from Ganapatipule).

Happy journey!! Don't forget to post a travelogue.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:04   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

Till Satara, lot of diversions as road widening/flyover construction is going on, from Satara to karad, road is good. You will end up spending more ime at toll booths depending on when you start.

Apart from MTDC, there is one good Abhishek resort nearby and there is one Nakshatra beach resort at Are-Ware, this around 2 KMs from GanapatiPule temple, very scenic, secluded if you like it, little costly though. There is one in Malgund as well called Madhachya Banat.

Last edited by Figopian : 28th September 2015 at 16:08.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:41   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post

Start early and carry lots of water and snacks. I usually prefer to have tea/sugarcane juice when needed, no idea of good food joints,
Happy journey!! Don't forget to post a travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Apart from MTDC, there is one good Abhishek resort nearby and there is one Nakshatra beach resort at Are-Ware, this around 2 KMs from GanapatiPule temple, very scenic, secluded if you like it, little costly though. There is one in Malgund as well called Madhachya Banat.
Thank you "Freedom" & "Figopian" for your quick and useful suggestion.
I will definitely update this thread after my trip.

How is Petrol pump / ATM facility in Ganpatipule ?
Old 28th September 2015, 18:32   #103
BHPian

Both must be there, I dont recall seeing any as I did not have any need for both once I reach there. Its not far away from Ratnagiri where you find many.
Old 28th September 2015, 18:35   #104
BHPian

Amba ghat is in good condition. After that little rough patches till Sakharpa, rest no issues with road.
Old 17th December 2015, 16:14   #105
BHPian

Hi all,

Planning for a Coastal Konkan trip from Nashik.

This is my current itinerary as advised by my friend Nandeep

D1: Nashik - Ganpatipule - Jaigadh - Ganpatipule

D2: Ganpatipule - Devgadh.

D3: Devgadh to Tarkarli / Malvan / Devbag

D4: Tarkarli / Malvan Devbag to Nashik

please comment /suggest options !!

Also, which route should I follow from Nashik To Ganpatipule ?

Please comment on the staying options also

Thanks

Last edited by passionforcars : 17th December 2015 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks