Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 13:14   #466
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Bangalore - Latest Road Conditions

Sure. I had work in Bangalore (Global Village Mysore) last week. My brother in law being in Dodballapur and my son having summer holidays, we decided to drive down last weekend and get back yesterday. The timing updates are:
16/04: Started from Home (Near Aparna Sarovar, Gopanapally, Near Lingampally) at 2:30pm. Reached Dodballapur at 10:00pm. (Deviation at Jadcherla to pick my Mom in law from Mahabubnagar) and joined at Bhootpur. The deviation costed us 1 hr loss.

Overall drive: Excellent. No potholes. All through great roads. Right turn at Devenhalli.

18/04: Started from Dodballapur at 7:00am and reached Global Village, Near RVCE, Mysore Road) office at 8:15 am (70 kms exactly)

22/04: Started from Global Village at 7:30pm. As it was pouring, wanted to take a main road. Came via NICE Road, left Turn towards Bangalore, Left towards Hebbal, Deviation to Dodballapur at Yelahanka. Reached home at 9:45pm. Overall distance 71 kms. Take this route only if it is raining. Else, Neelamangala route.

24/04: Started from Dodballapur at 12:00noon. Reached Airport flyover-ORR intersection at 5:30pm. Excellent route.

Hyd to Bangalore is a breezer now. Airport junction to Airport Junction can't be more than a 6 hr very leisure drive
Old 26th April 2011, 15:07   #467
BHPian

Did Hyd - BLR and back last week. Started from Kachiguda at 5am, had breakfast at Ghar Dhaba in Gooty at 8:30am, crossed BLR international airport toll plaza around 11 am. Was able to comfortably cruise 120 kmph without any effort and with effort, could manage to go even faster.

The roads are awesome as described and the curves are smooth, totally doable at 120kmph. While travelling this road, you need to keep alert for some scary moments. Apart from the occasional "villagers" crossing the road, paying no heed to your honking and flashing lights, and cattle (and sheep, and dogs) travelling or crossing the NH leisurely, the scariest moments I had were when suddenly a vehicle (2 wheelers, bullock-carts, autos, tractors, trucks and even buses!) would be seen coming in my part of the DIVIDED road, travelling in the OPPOSITE direction . Sometimes they would be travelling on the shoulder (left) side of the road, but mostly be in my right lane, coming HEAD-ON. Most of these vehicles did NOT have their headlights on, which made spotting them even more difficult until at the last moment.

I did encounter 3-4 accidents of such vehicles on the highway and was grateful that I did not have any close shaves.

While I appreciate the wisdom of the NHAI to have gaps in the medians only at designated and marked crossings, but until these dangerous drivers are taught the difference between driving on highways as opposed to local roads, I doubt our highways will be very safe.

At night, spotting these vehicles coming head-on (and obviously people or cattle crossing) was even more difficult, since it was diffcult to judge from a distance if the vehicle with headlights pointed your way was in my lane or on the opposite (safe) side of the divider. While returning, I crossed BLR airport around 5:20pm and reached Masab Tank Paradise at 11:15pm.

Last edited by Neilguy : 26th April 2011 at 15:31. Reason: Oops, while returning crossed BLR @ 5:20, not 6:20
Old 26th April 2011, 15:18   #468
Senior - BHPian

@Neilguy----that was one heck of a drive, going my your timings. Perhaps you did not feel the curves that much because you were driving the Fiesta S, but I've not done that stretch so far.

People and vehicles moving in the opposite direction is a malaise spread all over India and not just NH7. It might take years for that to be stopped, but I don't even think cops are trying to stop that.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:28   #469
Senior - BHPian

^^ I guess these days it's much more comfortable and easier to drive on NH7 at night. I had two chance to drive at night on NH7. Once from Ooty to hyd in Jan this year and 2nd time from Gooty till hyderabad this month. You can easily cruise at around 110kmph or just follow a Tourist bus at around 90kmph speed. The road and the curves are well lit and marked by those lane dividers(what is it called?).
I seriously didn't have much issues apart from the difficulties that the high beam of the vehicles behind pose at you, but you can always shift lanes.
Old 26th April 2011, 22:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

For the guys starting from Hyderabad this is a new restaurant for stopover.
After crossing the Shadnagar toll plaza proceed further for about 10kms you reach a place called Balanagar.
This restaurant is located there.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-photo0125.jpg  

gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:39   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
While returning, I crossed BLR airport around 5:20pm and reached Masab Tank Paradise at 11:15pm.
That's fantastic time considering you drove half of it past sundown!

My night vision is pretty poor and I found it somewhat difficult at night between Jadcherla and Hyderabad on Apr. 28. I crossed Jadcherla town a little after 8 pm, paid the toll at Raikal tollgate at around 8:25 pm and reached Shamshabad/Gachibowli "interchange" at around 9:15 pm or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@Neilguy----that was one heck of a drive, going my your timings. Perhaps you did not feel the curves that much because you were driving the Fiesta S, but I've not done that stretch so far.
You should do it, even if just for fun. Most of the curves are really gentle doable at high speed. I remember cruising along at 135-140 and being overtaken (comfortably, at that) by a Xylo on one of those curves near Penukonda.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 2nd May 2011 at 15:42.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:46   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

You should do it, even if just for fun. Most of the curves are really gentle doable at high speed. I remember cruising along at 135-140 and being overtaken (comfortably, at that) by a Xylo on one of those curves near Penukonda.
Holy cow, I never knew a Xylo could go that fast!!
Old 10th May 2011, 15:15   #473
Senior - BHPian

Did a Blore-Hyd drive over the weekend.I was a bit surprised,as I notice that my timings have actually reduced quite drastically,maybe due to less traffic and the fact that APSRTC buses have begun to drive only on the left lane.I think they have been given a refresher course on driving,because I noticed that not a single bus hogged the fast lane and all of them consistently only drove on the left.Thanx to this I was able to maintain a steady speed on the entire stretch with no hint of rash driving.

Another point,is that the BP GHAR at Kurnool has revamped its menu and food.A whole array of items have appeared on the menu,theres also an icecream freezer nowAlso very soon the Kurnool BP COCO would have a petrol/diesel self-dispenser,wherein you swipe the card and input the details yourself.The only downside is that you would have to do the filling up also yourself:(Lets wait and see how that comes about.

Hebbal Interchange:10am
Kurnool BP GHAR:1330
Mehdipatnam F/o:1530
Old 10th May 2011, 15:24   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
and the fact that APSRTC buses have begun to drive only on the left lane.
As recently as on the 28th I had to overtake buses from the left as I was returning to Hyderabad from Goa (Jadcherla to Hyderabad stretch) :(. I hope the drivers were trained starting May day .

Quote:
Hebbal Interchange:10am
Kurnool BP GHAR:1330
Mehdipatnam F/o:1530
WOAH! How many breaks did you take? Did you have to refuel enroute? This is seriously impressive time.

I managed Hebbal to ORR (Gachibowli X roads) in 6.5 hrs including a fuel stop, going through Gooty town (bypass wasn't ready), a couple of short-to-medium (5 to 10 min) breaks and driving Kurnool-Hyd in moderate rain (so speed not exceeding 120 on that stretch). I know it can be improved. I hope to do it in 5 to 5.5 hrs sometime soon.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 10th May 2011 at 15:25.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:36   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
As recently as on the 28th I had to overtake buses from the left as I was returning to Hyderabad from Goa (Jadcherla to Hyderabad stretch) :(. I hope the drivers were trained starting May day .

WOAH! How many breaks did you take? Did you have to refuel enroute? This is seriously impressive time.

I managed Hebbal to ORR (Gachibowli X roads) in 6.5 hrs including a fuel stop, going through Gooty town (bypass wasn't ready), a couple of short-to-medium (5 to 10 min) breaks and driving Kurnool-Hyd in moderate rain (so speed not exceeding 120 on that stretch). I know it can be improved. I hope to do it in 5 to 5.5 hrs sometime soon.

Regards,
spadix
Even I am sure,this thing of buses on the left lane is going to change in a short while.The only place where it hasnt changed for years is Gujarat,where they make an effort to drive only on the left lane and all the motorists use the right lane just to overtake.

I did a refuelling stop at BP COCO Kurnool for about 15minutes.Since we carried lunch,we just bought some ice creams from them.Please do not benchmark 5.5hr timing,as this must have been one of those one-off instances,but a 6.5-7hr drive is what is realistic.

Another thing to note is that one of the Toll Gates has shut,this is the one after Jadcherla towards Bangalore(the one which has a fancy looking dark glass building to your left towards blore)not sure what was the reason,but we were waved on and the place looked deserted.One less toll of INR75 to pay
Old 10th May 2011, 15:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

I think ranjitp1 was lucky to see all the RTC buses on the left lane.
I was to Mahbubnagar and back last sunday still some of these RTC guys stick to the right
lane.Good thing they stick to the lane and not keep crossing the left and right lane nor do
they go on the middle of the lane.
Good to hear that the toll after Boothpur is closed.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:47   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing to note is that one of the Toll Gates has shut,this is the one after Jadcherla towards Bangalore(the one which has a fancy looking dark glass building to your left towards blore)not sure what was the reason,but we were waved on and the place looked deserted.One less toll of INR75 to pay
Correction here,the toll reduction would be of INR43 and this is the toll maintained by L&T West Andhra Tollways.I have a hunch they might restart the toll though
Old 11th May 2011, 14:20   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Correction here,the toll reduction would be of INR43 and this is the toll maintained by L&T West Andhra Tollways.I have a hunch they might restart the toll though
While watching news sometime last week, I saw a scroll saying there was an accident in which a villager was killed, and traffic piled up on NH7 for 10 kms, and villagers protesting near the toll gate. It might be this, and if that is the case, they will restart.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:28   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
While watching news sometime last week, I saw a scroll saying there was an accident in which a villager was killed, and traffic piled up on NH7 for 10 kms, and villagers protesting near the toll gate. It might be this, and if that is the case, they will restart.
This could be the reason,because I saw a couple of constables sitting around the toll gate.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:29   #480
BHPian

Hi Team,

Last weekend i went to hyderabad from MYSORE. Driving was done soley by me and during the night time (First time). A small account on the same.
(I am very sorry i dont have photographs )

My Car: Chevrolet Aveo - (total distance done till date - 39000, 3 years old)

Friday 6th 6.30 pm : Me and one of my friend touched bangalore mysore highway.
Reached Kengeri around 8.30 pm, then took the outer ring road for NH7.
We stoped over somewhere in the international airport road for dinner , time 10.00 pm
Finally started over @ 11.00 pm from bangalore. We took 2 redbull in case we might need it in the night.

Roads were amazing and clearly marked, traffic was almost nill except few trucks. I was constatly doing 110 kmph. Around 1.00 pm i started feeling bit sore in my neck and shoulder , my friend promptly gave me a redbull . Man it worked like magic . All that heaviness i was feeling was gone, back to the mood as if i have just started driving . We stopped in Kurnool for a small tea break,
Reached shamsabad around 6.30 in the morning, and reached BEHL hyderabad around 8.30 in the morning. I absolutlely made sure that i am not going to rev my car, better be late rather than rushing to finish my journey.

Return journey:
We started at around 4.00 pm on Sunday 8th may. We took the mahendipatnam superlong flyover which leaves you at shamsabad, reached mysore @ 3.30 am.

Incidents:
1) while returning, we were in outskirts of kurnool ,time will be around 7.30 pm i was doing 110 kmph and was about to overtake one of the truck , i saw a light from the opposite end. I thought the vechile to be on the other side of the road so kept my speed intact, after few seconds i realized that its in the same lane and one crazy auto wala is coming on my way, its all happening within seconds. by that time i have almost covered 3/4 of the truck, then slowed down immediately and came back of the truck , that auto wala crossed me showing me a hand signal --Like saying what boss dont you see i am coming , i am literally got pissed off. But after so much of highway driving i dont let anger rule my head, immediately stopped thinking about it and asked my friend to put a good song , rest enjoyed my drive .
2) we stopped in some dhabba at around 11.00 pm some 200 odd kms from bangalore i dont remember the exact kms left. As soon as we were coming out of car one guy approached us saying he wants a lift to the next toll gate. He asked my friend first he said no , then he turns up to me asking the same thing. I polietly said, i dont give lifts on the highway thats to in night time. I dont know if i did correct or not but for next 100 km odd we didnt find any toll gate.

Thats it. Thanks

Most Viewed