Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2015, 13:44   #1741
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
Hi, has anyone done this route at night? (Like leaving bombay after dusk?) Could you please share your experience?
Hello Pokerface!

Not sure which route you're referring to but I always drive at night using the Chorla route. Usually leaving either at 10am or 12am from Pune, we cover ground faster.
But I guess night driving is not everyones cup of tea, do it only if you're used to and comfortable.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 16th December 2015, 17:12   #1742
BHPian

Did Goa to Mumbai earlier last week. Took the Chorla route.
Left at 10 AM from Goa and reached Andheri 11:20 PM.

Driving Time: 11.00 hours
Stops: 2.0 hours

Had taken the Amboli route for the Mumbai - Goa journey and I was not very happy with it. Hence decided to go via Chorla.

Road quality is decent with very few patchy stretches throughout from Goa to Belgaum.
Please watch out for unmarked speed breakers on the Goa border to Belgaum section.

Further breakup of my drive as below.

Departure: 10 AM from Baga
13:30 - NH4 Belgaum
13:54 - Hattargi Toll Plaza
14:12 - Hotel Kaveri, Tawande Ghat
15:17 - Sai International
20:12 - Pune Mumbai EWay
23:20 - Andheri West

Distance traveled: 613 KM
My AT Honda City returned a FE of 14.3 KMPL.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:43   #1743
BHPian

Just returned from Goa yesterday. Had left on the 10th went via the amboli route. The road on the route is very patchy and many unmarked speed breakers. Had left at 5.30 am reached candolim at 4.15p.m after 3 stops on the way.

On the way back took the same route as couldn't take the chorla route as wife can't take too much of winding roads. left at about 10a.m from goa and reached mahim, mumbai at 10p.m. with 4 stops.

Thanks Trojan and Goan for all your help.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:07   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Departure: 10 AM from Baga
13:30 - NH4 Belgaum
13:54 - Hattargi Toll Plaza
14:12 - Hotel Kaveri, Tawande Ghat
15:17 - Sai International
20:12 - Pune Mumbai EWay
23:20 - Andheri West
This 13:20 hours elapsed time taken is more credible to me than an earlier report of 9:20 hours elapsed time for the same stretch reported here earlier. Even considering a 6 am start. Certainly this looks like much safer driving.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:39   #1745
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Will be driving down to Goa for New Year's Eve, and am planning to leave either late evening on the 30th, make a stopover somewhere after Pune and then reach Goa by early afternoon, or do it all on 31st morning by leaving early around 4AM. Any suggestions for where I can spend the night without going too far off the highway?

Also, how much is the total cost in tolls? The last figure I saw was ~Rs 750, is this accurate? Will having an ETC tag make things faster?

Based on recommendations here am planning to take the Chorla route, where would be the best place to top-up Diesel around Belgaum? Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:41   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixash View Post
Also, how much is the total cost in tolls? The last figure I saw was ~Rs 750, is this accurate?
Mumbai - Pune Expressway - 195
Khedshivpur - 80
Anewadi - 55
Taswade - 68
Kini - 68
Kagal/Konoli - 50
Hattaragi - 20
Goa Entry - 250
==================
Total - 786
==================

Quote:
Based on recommendations here am planning to take the Chorla route, where would be the best place to top-up Diesel around Belgaum? Thanks!
In under 5 kms after the Kagal/Kognoli toll ( 50 INR), you have a BPCL COCO before Nippani and is located right here.

This would be around 90 kms before Belgaum.

However, you can as well tank up inside Belgaum city that has few good BPCL and IOCL outlets on Khanapur Road as well. You can make out as there will be a lot of rush here.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:11   #1747
BHPian

Going Sawantwadi - Amboli or Gaganbawada ?

I will be travelling to Sawantwadi next week and need guidance on choosing between Amboli or Gaganbawda route.

I plan to leave at around 5am from Pune and aim to reach S'wadi by 4pm max.
On return, I can't leave before 3pm and I can take overnight stop in Kolhapur.

I am inclined towards Amboli as it's a familiar terrain and you get a decent stretch of NH4 either from Nipani (if via Ajara / Uttur) or Sankeshwar (via Gadhinglaj) onwards.

Any recent experience on Road condition - please share.
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:41   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Certainly this looks like much safer driving.
Yep. Safe is what I wanted it to be and with family in tow I am not the one to take risks to save on time.
I ensured that I did not cross 100 at any point throughout the journey. On the expressway this was particularly difficult to manage but not at other places.
This not only helped cut down the stress but also led to a smooth journey and more FE as well.
Drive Safe
Old 23rd December 2015, 00:34   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
This 13:20 hours elapsed time taken is more credible to me than an earlier report of 9:20 hours elapsed time for the same stretch reported here earlier. Even considering a 6 am start. Certainly this looks like much safer driving.
Hi Sawyer,
The time of 9 hours and 15 mins was mine and it is not just credible but a fact and if you read other posts of mine in this thread you will see that this time is nothing abnormal. It's usually takes me the same time whenever I do this run - give or take 15 minutes.
In fact I have done Bombay to Goa in a Swift in 8 hours and 10 minutes (with only one stop) but that was a few years ago before the toll booths opened.

Regards,
SS
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:06   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Sawyer,
The time of 9 hours and 15 mins was mine and it is not just credible but a fact and if you read other posts of mine in this thread you will see that this time is nothing abnormal. It's usually takes me the same time whenever I do this run - give or take 15 minutes.
In fact I have done Bombay to Goa in a Swift in 8 hours and 10 minutes (with only one stop) but that was a few years ago before the toll booths opened.

Regards,
SS
First time when I drove down from Mumbai to Goa, it took me a little more than 12 Hrs, return was 11.5 Hrs. Second time, it took me 11.5 Hrs and return was a little less than 11 Hrs. Third time, it only improved.

The point I am trying to make here is that more you get familiar with the route, lesser is the time you take. Because you tend to plan better and improvise.

Considering that suzuki san is a regular on this particular stretch, it is very much possible for him to cover that distance in 9H15m. I would refrain from calling it even 'relatively unsafe driving', unless I have seen him do that.

Everybody has their own style and approach to driving. Depends a lot on co-passengers as well.

Peace,
Lokesh

Last edited by 1lokesh : 23rd December 2015 at 11:16.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 15:00   #1751
BHPian

Re: Going Sawantwadi - Amboli or Gaganbawada ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I will be travelling to Sawantwadi next week and need guidance on choosing between Amboli or Gaganbawda route.

Any recent experience on Road condition - please share.
Bumping up my own post as I didn't get any response on Amboli or Gaganbawda route!
Old 28th December 2015, 16:29   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Amboli - Gaganbawda has never been a route with a well surfaced road.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 23:59   #1753
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Drove back down to Goa on the 27th. December via the Chorla Ghat.
Left Bombay at 0515 and reached Mapuca at 1445 hrs.
Nothing new to mention. 9 hours and 30 minutes total with two stops of 40 minutes included. Actual driving time was 8 hours and 50 minutes.
Very heavy LMV and HGV traffic between Poona and Kolhapur made it difficult to make headway. Think it was a mistake to drive on a Sunday.
Had started climbing the Khambhatki Ghat (the one between Poona and Satara) and saw traffic coming down towards me on what should have been a one way system. Was informed by a biker that the road was closed. No reason given. Had to do a U turn (with difficulty) and head back to the start of the ghat where there was now a moderate traffic jam due to all cars u-turning and police doing little or nothing to sort out the mess. Took the alternate one way system through the tunnel.
At Karad got stuck again due to a really long trailer which had jack-knifed across the road. Had to use the small service road alongside the highway. Traffic jammed again!!
Roadworks going on in Belgaum City but did not really affect us.
Police with speed guns also present at the entrance of Belgaum City. They caught the Sumo just in front of me.
Counted 35 speed breakers this time between the Goa entry point and Mapuca.

For those who are interested, three friends drove down in 3 different cars on the 28, 29 and 30th. All of them used the Nipani, Ajara, Amboli, Sawantwadi route and all report it as being in good condition. Just one or two rough patches but nothing to talk about.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 09:01   #1754
BHPian

Did Pune - Banda (near Sawantwadi) and back this weekend.
Took Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar bypass - Gadhinglaj - Amboli route. The road condition in Amboli ghat is very good except for about 3 kms. I preferred taking Gadhinglaj as it gives me extra few kms on NH4 and after that it's state highway 134.
Total distance was about 400 kms and average I got was 19kmpl (5 people and boot full of luggage)
Started at 4:45am from Pune. 8am Took breakfast break at Sai international. Fueled tankful at BP COCO at Kognoli before Nipani.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:43   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Had started climbing the Khambhatki Ghat (the one between Poona and Satara) and saw traffic coming down towards me on what should have been a one way system. Was informed by a biker that the road was closed. No reason given.
@suzuki san, the highway authorities have started the road widening work (2 lane to 3 lane) in Khambataki ghat. So one probable reason for the road closure is some work involving detonators etc, and they would have planned it on Sunday, presuming less traffic...
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks