Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 18:00   #2476
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Not a Mumbai-Goa query, but I am riding to Harihareshwar this weekend. Have heard about Khopoli-Pali stretch being bad due to construction going on, how is the standard route? Mumbai-Vadkhal-Pen-Mangaon? Not expecting to be good anyways.
Old 30th October 2018, 19:37   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Not a Mumbai-Goa query, but I am riding to Harihareshwar this weekend. Have heard about Khopoli-Pali stretch being bad due to construction going on, how is the standard route? Mumbai-Vadkhal-Pen-Mangaon? Not expecting to be good anyways.
I travelled Mumbai - Pali - Nizampur - Mangaon - Chiplun while going and Chiplun - Vadhkal - Mumbai while returning in the first half of September. Both roads were in bad conditions due to ongoing work. To add on, the standard route had many diversions and the speed bumps between Pen and Vadhkal coupled with the truck traffic made it literally impossible to overtake. The advantage of Pali - Mangaon route is you will encounter much lesser traffic and speed-bumps than the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The ghat not so much. But, the road before Amboli is broken. I am not sure how Sankeshwar - Gadinglaj is right now.
Is "before Amboli" in reference to the road between Ajra and Amboli ghat? Or is it right from Nipani to Amboli ghat?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st October 2018 at 08:53. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / QUOTE + functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead
Old 30th October 2018, 19:50   #2478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Is "before Amboli" in reference to the road between Ajra and Amboli ghat? Or is it right from Nipani to Amboli ghat?
All the way from Nipani to Amboli ghat. I'd say majority of the road is ruined.

Regards,
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 20:00   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
What if one uses Sankeshwar - Ghadinglaj road ? Avoiding Utur ? Is Amboli also broken ?
I had last driven on Sankeshwar--Gadhinglaj--uptill some point nearing Ajara in the 1st week of August 2018 and the road then was alternating between decent and very good. Road beyond Gadhinglaj in particular was very good. If Uttur--Ajara--Amboli is in shambles presently , I think one can explore the Sankeshwar--Gadhinglaj option, may be you have to deal with bad roads only between Ajara and Amboli.

Last edited by vivek95 : 30th October 2018 at 20:04. Reason: Spelling errors
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:17   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
This is just for your information and factor a delay of around 30 mins. Same story for Chorla road, but not many trucks are parked on this route. I will post further updates accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Thank you for the information. I am to travel early next week & will keep in mind situation to adjust my timings..
Hello vivek95 & Ertigiat,

I am tentatively planning a Pune to Dandeli trip next week, and had originally planned to take the Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Dandeli route.

However, due to the above update by vivek95, I am now leaning towards going till Dharwad and then taking the Alnavar-Haliyal-Dandeli route. I've also heard that there is a route to Dandeli via Kittur-Haliyal too. Do either of you know it? If yes, could you please elaborate on how to join it via AH47 (erstwhile NH4) and its current condition (if you know)?

Also, any inputs w.r.t the recommended choice between the above 3 routes would be most welcome too!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 3rd November 2018 at 21:19.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 10:20   #2481
BHPian

Are there any decent restaurants with clean toilets in Anmod ghat? I usually take the Chorla route and take a break at Delta restaurant. I want to try Anmod route this time.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:35   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hello vivek95 & Ertigiat,

I am tentatively planning a Pune to Dandeli trip next week, and had originally planned to take the Belgaum-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Dandeli route.

However, due to the above update by vivek95, I am now leaning towards going till Dharwad and then taking the Alnavar-Haliyal-Dandeli route. I've also heard that there is a route to Dandeli via Kittur-Haliyal too. Do either of you know it? If yes, could you please elaborate on how to join it via AH47 (erstwhile NH4) and its current condition (if you know)?

Also, any inputs w.r.t the recommended choice between the above 3 routes would be most welcome too!

Cheers,
Vikram
Hello Vikram

When exactly are you planning your travel ?? I will try and get some information from a friend and update it here latest by tomorrow morning for sure. If the delay is not significant, Pune--Belgaum--Khanapur--Ramnagar--Ganeshgudi--Dandeli is THE route to go. Also, its highly scenic than the other two routes.

The route from Kittur to Khanapur is via Bidi and the roads aren't that good, plus it's a single lane. Wait for my update here and prima facie, Belgaum--Ramnagar is the best route despite all the traffic. I will get back to you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Are there any decent restaurants with clean toilets in Anmod ghat? I usually take the Chorla route and take a break at Delta restaurant. I want to try Anmod route this time.
Nothing in the Anmod ghat per se, or for that matter between Belgaum and Anmod ghat. There is no Delta equivalent of the Chorla on Anmod route. However, down the ghats, there is Doodhsagar spa resort at Mollem which is highly recommended.

Last edited by vivek95 : 5th November 2018 at 11:40. Reason: Quoting another post
Old 5th November 2018, 11:37   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Vikram

When exactly are you planning your travel
Thanks a lot, Vivek! If I do travel (depends on whether I will get any decent accommodation at such short notice), it will be on Nov 08 morning (5:00 AM start from Pune). I will wait for your reply.

As an aside, the the route via Kittur shown by GMaps doesn't go via Bidi-Khanapur. Instead, it goes to Alnavar, then Haliyal and Dandeli.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th November 2018 at 11:48.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 11:55   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Vivek! If I do travel, it will be on Nov 08 morning (5:00 AM start from Pune). I will wait for your reply.

As an aside, the the route via Kittur shown by GMaps doesn't go via Bidi-Khanapur. Instead, it goes to Alnavar, then Haliyal and Dandeli.

Cheers,
Vikram
Sorry, I got it wrong. I read Khanapur by mistake instead of Haliyal. The road from Kittur joins at some point on the Khanapur--Alnavar--Haliyal route. I really don't know how it is, but it would be a single lane or 3/4th lane for sure. Roads around Kittur are all single lane countryside and have not been in a good state of late. Khanapur--Alnavar--Haliyal--Dandeli is a decent 2 lane road, definitely no issues here. Anyways, I will update you on Belgaum route, since that's the best and very scenic.
Old 5th November 2018, 12:13   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Did this route over the weekend. Panvel to Vadkhal is actually decent than what I had expected. Yes there are diversions and rough roads but it is manageable. Vadkhal stretch is all paver blocks now. Post Vadkhal till Pen again roads are decent. Barring few potholes, which will be filled up as I saw roads being re-layered while coming back. Post Mangaon, damn I so badly love this stretch, it remains butter smooth every time I have seen it.

Last edited by SDP : 5th November 2018 at 14:32. Reason: As requested
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 12:25   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Vivek! If I do travel (depends on whether I will get any decent accommodation at such short notice), it will be on Nov 08 morning (5:00 AM start from Pune). I will wait for your reply.

Cheers,
Vikram
UPDATE :-

Vikram, I just happened to whatsapp my Belgaum friend who regularly visits Khanapur. He confirms, the traffic is slow moving and painful because of road widening on one hand and trucks being parked roadside on the other hand, due to restrictions imposed on them from entering Belgaum city during day time. In short he said driving is a bit painful here these days.

I would suggest skip Belgaum and head to Dharwad and take the Dharwad bypass--Alnavar--Haliyal route. Roads are definitely good here but please keep in mind, this is too circuitous and may add more time to your travel. Alternatively, you can take a chance with the Kittur exit on NH4 and then onto Alnavar. You are likely to encounter bad stretches here although it wouldn't be more than 12-15 kms.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 13:51   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively, you can take a chance with the Kittur exit on NH4 and then onto Alnavar. You are likely to encounter bad stretches here although it wouldn't be more than 12-15 kms.
Thanks again for the prompt response Vivek. I will do as you suggested, and take the Kittur - Alnavar - Dandeli route for a change.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 06:40   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
I just happened to whatsapp my Belgaum friend who regularly visits Khanapur. He confirms, the traffic is slow moving and painful because of road widening on one hand and trucks being parked roadside on the other hand, due to restrictions imposed on them from entering Belgaum city during day time. In short he said driving is a bit painful here these days.
A quick update. Traveled yesterday from Margao to Belgaum. Surprisingly did not find even a single truck parked at the entry of Belgaum. No traffic jam, no slow moving traffic, absolutely smooth sailing till McDonald's. In fact I was at McDonald's within 2 hours and 20 minutes. Started from Margao at 2.05 PM and was there exactly at 4.25PM. (I traveled with 2 kids on board).

Quote:
Thanks again for the prompt response Vivek. I will do as you suggested, and take the Kittur - Alnavar - Dandeli route for a change.
Vikram, you can still stick to Belgaum - Ramanagar - Dandeli route, unless you want to try above route for the sake of time change.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:30   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
A quick update. Traveled yesterday from Margao to Belgaum. Surprisingly did not find even a single truck parked at the entry of Belgaum. No traffic jam, no slow moving traffic, absolutely smooth sailing till McDonald's. In fact I was at McDonald's within 2 hours and 20 minutes. Started from Margao at 2.05 PM and was there exactly at 4.25PM. (I traveled with 2 kids on board).
Thank you for this great update ! Think the authorities have lifted the ban and rightly so. If it's a smooth sailing affair, Vikram can indeed stick to the Pune--Belgaum--Khanapur--Ramnagar route as it's the best way of experiencing wilderness on your way to Dandeli.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 12:33   #2490
BHPian

Hey Guys, honestly how bad is the Nippani - Aajra - Amboli route? Since we're going to be staying in the north, I'd rather not take the Chorla ghat road. Also, would anyone know what the approximate toll rates would be all the way from Mumbai to Goa?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks