Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 13:52   #136
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes that is the one.

- Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Hassan is 4-lane road.
- Hassan-Belur is a good 2-lane road.
- Belur-Chikkamagulur is again a decent 2-lane
Thanks Ampere. Planning to leave tomorrow morning and come back by Monday. We got a pretty good deal with The Serai and a whole bunch of us are off tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:22   #137
BHPian

Hi Team,

We are group of 3 guys planning for a hiking trip to Chikmagalur. Majority of the trekking groups in B'lore have pre-planned treks starting on weekends. We are planning to go on a trek on Thursday and Friday (24th and 25th Sept.) and come back on 26th Sept.

We need help in:
1. How to arrange an economical trekking guide for two days. We contacted a few hotels and they are suggesting the prices in the range of 500 INR to 600 INR per person. We feel it is a bit expensive. Can anyone suggest something. Can we use our phones + GPS capability to go for the trek. Is it even advisable to go alone for a trek there?

2. It was also suggested to take a prior permission from the forest dept. So, while the homestay where we will stay is trying to find out the information for that, does anyone here has previously obtained the permission from forest dept for trekking.

Please advise.

Tx
Old 5th October 2015, 10:18   #138
BHPian

We did the Chikmagalur Trip on 24th and 25th Sept.

1. We got in touch with a local travel agent, Mr. Inayat (+91 9483634751), who helped us arrange a Honda Activa bike for rent (500 INR per day) Fuel to be filled by ourselves.

2. He also arranged for a local guide @1200 INR per day for the trek from Sarpadhari to Mullayangiri and further to Baba Buddangiri past the famous BSNL tower.

3. Trek permissions are now needed even for a smaller trek from Sarpadhari to Mullayangiri because there was a recent incident involving 2 folks from Hyd who got lost in the forest and were found only after 3 days. This is what we heard from the locals, not sure how much truth is there.

4. The trek permissions can be obtained from the Forest Dept Office located in Chikmagalur itself. However, the application process and approval may take some time (up to 3 days)

Roads up to Chikmagalur are awesome. Some very small bad patches are there near Mullayanagiri Peak and Kemmanugundi, but otherwise all in all OK roads.
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:18   #139
BHPian

Accommodation query in Chikmagalur

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Chikkamagalur next week. Need suggestions for booking accommodation. Location should be serene and scenic away from city. Preference is to stay in coffee estate with family. Budget 3500 per person on twin sharing basis.

Also can anyone comment on the present condition of Charmadi ghat road.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd September 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Formatted
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:49   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accommodation query in Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to go to Chikkamagalur next week. Need suggestions for booking accommodation. Location should be serene and scenic away from city. Preference is to stay in coffee estate with family. Budget 3500 per person on twin sharing basis.
Look out for Home stays around Chikmagalur. There are plethora of options.

They are scattered mostly around Mallandur, Linadahalli, Mudigere, Aldur, Kalasa regions. A vast section to chose from but each will give similar experience in terms of staying in a coffee estate and lush green surroundings.

Quote:
Also can anyone comment on the present condition of Charmadi ghat road.
Charmadi is holding really well except may be few patches limited to Hair Pin bends. No such concern if you are driving anytime in next few weeks.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:58   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Need suggestions for booking accommodation. Location should be serene and scenic away from city. Preference is to stay in coffee estate with family. Budget 3500 per person on twin sharing basis.
Checkout Silverwoods Homestay. I don't remember the charges though, but guess it was like 2000/head. What I liked about it is we can venture into town whenever we feel like as it was just 10-15km away from the town center. We had been to town canteen in the evening almost every day.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Look out for Home stays around Chikmagalur. There are plethora of options.

They are scattered mostly around Mallandur, Linadahalli, Mudigere, Aldur, Kalasa regions.
Thanks Parag

Is there any website to search for these home stays? Do you have any suggestions?

Regards
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:02   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag

Is there any website to search for these home stays? Do you have any suggestions?

Regards
This one should help you:

Home Stay Advisor

Since I am born and spent all my life here, I may have little to say about these home stays but I have stayed only once in one of these homestays at Mallandur due to a gathering and to me it was as good as staying at home with typical Malenadu cuisine.
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:23   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag

Regards
https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotels-g2...ka-Hotels.html

Alternatively, tripadvisor list should also help. I generally go with this and have met my expectations almost all times. Read the reviews and shortlist the one that fits your bill.

I am heading to chikmagalur this weekend and have booked my stay at bettadamalai
http://www.bettadamalali.com/

Previously I had stayed at Thippanahalli estate and my experience was very good.

Last edited by rajakumar : 2nd September 2016 at 16:25. Reason: more details
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 20:47   #145
BHPian

Dear bhpians

I'm planning a 3 day trip to the malnad and West coast region of Karnataka. My itinerary is as follows:
Day 1
Bangalore to Chikmagalur via Belur- Halebeedu. Visit Belur- Halebeedu temples and halt at chikmagalur.

Day 2
Chikmagalur to Murdeshwar via sringeri agumbe
Then proceed to Udupi. Visit Sringeri and Murudeshwar temples enroute.
Stay in Udupi.

Day 3
Visit Udupi Srikrishna temple early morning and proceed to Bangalore via charmadi ghat, sakleshpur
CR Patna Bangalore.

Is this doable in 3days? I'm visiting with family including parents. Is it possible to add Kollur Mookambika to the itinerary in Day 2?

Any suggestions would be welcome to improve the itinerary.
Old 7th September 2016, 09:49   #146
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning a 3 day trip to the malnad and West coast region of Karnataka.

Any suggestions would be welcome to improve the itinerary.
Day 1 looks fine. Problem from Day 2 onwards is that though the routing and distance seems to be doable, the temples open and close at certain times and chances are that one or more temples may be closed when you get there. Generally most of these temples are closed between 1pm-4pm so you need to work around that.

My suggestion would be
Day 2 - Chikmagaluru-Sringeri-Murudeshwar. Stay overnight at Murudeshwar.

Day 3 - Murudeshwar-Kollur-Udupi. Stay overnight at Udupi and Day 4 drive back to Bangalore after morning visit to Udupi temple. This will be much more relaxed.

OR
Day 3 - Skip Kollur and do Murudeshwar-Udupi-Bangalore (late evening/night drive in to Bangalore, so I wouldn't recommend this if there are senior citizens traveling along).

*Note:From Chikmagaluru even Horanadu is not too far but visiting that temple will make your trip even more hectic.

Last edited by NPV : 7th September 2016 at 09:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:34   #147
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Am planning a short holiday to Chikmagalur next month , and our resort is about
30 km north of Chikmagalur . The route planned is Bangalore - Hassan- Belur-
Chikmagalur- resort.
A few questions for the knowledgeable :

1. Is the above route currently the best option for Chikmagalur ?

2. Can I use the Hassan bye- pass and join the Belur SH just after Hassan ?
Any landmark to take the right turn to the Belur highway ?
3. Once in Chikmagalur, need to get onto Tariker SH. Should I go through the
town (MG road) , or byepass the town using NH 173 ?

Thanks ,

Venu
Old 8th September 2016, 17:20   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
1. Is the above route currently the best option for Chikmagalur ?
Ideally yes.

Quote:
2. Can I use the Hassan bye- pass and join the Belur SH just after Hassan ?
Absolutely yes. But you need not drive all the way till the end of Hassan Bypass. You cross 2 Major intersections (Mysore Road and Gorur Road) and after this turn right onto Huluvagilu Road and drive 600 meters crossing a Railway gate to reach Belur road.

Link to reach Belur Road from Hassan Bypass

Quote:
Any landmark to take the right turn to the Belur highway ?
Answered above. Easy way to remember: Hassan bypass has 2 Major intersections. Each of these 2 intersections will have road medians right here along with speedbreakers and tall lamp posts. Soon after crossing the second intersection, you drive 1.5 kms to turn right. This is not a major intersection like the previous two but this is exactly where you turn right.
Quote:
3. Once in Chikmagalur, need to get onto Tariker SH. Should I go through the town (MG road) , or byepass the town using NH 173 ?
Use the bypass - Easier that way.

Bypassing Chikmagalur:

Approaching Chikmagalur, you will cross one and only Railway Overbridge and descend at Hiremagalur town. A kilometer after this town you reach a T-Junction with a lot of advertisement boards for Serai, Homestays and Engineering college. Turn right here and follow this road for the next 4 Kilometers. You will reach an intersection.

This intersection is with Kadur - Mangalore road (KM Road) where you will spot an arch ahead on the road leading straight (Adichunchanagiri Institute of Technology). Turn right here and drive to Tarikere via Sakharayapatna & kadur.

Link: Bypassing Chikmagalur to Tarikere via Kadur

Important question:

Is your resort in "Tarikere" or "Tarikere Road". If its 30 kms from Chikmagalur & latter, I am more confident that the resort will be located on another alternate but scenic road leading to Tarikere from Chikmagalur town. This is called the "Kaimara- Lignadahalli" Route.

If this is true, you need to drive inside Chikmagalur town cross IG road and Ratnagiri Bore and then drive to Kaimara and continue straight towards Lingadahalli.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th September 2016 at 17:28.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 11:24   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Link to reach Belur Road from Hassan Bypass

Bypassing Chikmagalur:

Approaching Chikmagalur, you will cross one and only Railway Overbridge and descend at Hiremagalur town. A kilometer after this town you reach a T-Junction with a lot of advertisement boards for Serai, Homestays
Link: Bypassing Chikmagalur to Tarikere via Kadur

Important question:

Is your resort in "Tarikere" or "Tarikere Road". If its 30 kms from Chikmagalur & latter, I am more confident that the resort will be located on another alternate but scenic road leading to Tarikere from Chikmagalur town. This is called the "Kaimara- Lignadahalli" Route.

If this is true, you need to drive inside Chikmagalur town cross IG road and Ratnagiri Bore and then drive to Kaimara and continue straight towards Lingadahalli.
Thank you so for a detailed feedback. I am now clear on the whole route.

To answer your question, our resort is not in Tarikere, but on the Mullayanagiri route . I guess you start off on the Tarikere road and then branch off. I am expecting directions from the resort for this.

Thank you once again, it will be a breeze now

Last edited by ampere : 9th September 2016 at 11:26. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 9th September 2016, 11:44   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
To answer your question, our resort is not in Tarikere, but on the Mullayanagiri route . I guess you start off on the Tarikere road and then branch off. I am expecting directions from the resort for this.
That was as expected. So you must enter Chikmagalur & then take the Kaimara - Lingadahalli option to reach your resort.

Going all the way to Tarikere via Kadur is useless in that case. So stick to the route from inside Chikmagalur town leading towards Kaimara & Lingadahalli.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks