Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 22:06   #556
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Mulbagal seems to be the new hot location for the eateries - after a newish Woody's opened there, now there's a Mulbagal Dosa Corner by Pai Viceroy as well

This is good since Mulbagal is at the Karnataka-Andhra border and about 75-80km from Bangalore, good place to stop with an early start from Bangalore

Last edited by NPV : 30th October 2020 at 22:08.
NPV is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 18:39   #557
Senior - BHPian

Decided to go for a short drive all of a sudden this morning. Planned to visit few locations along this route: Bangalore - Hirisave - Nuggehalli - Mavanuru - Channarayapatna - Shravanabelagola - Melukote - Nagamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga - Kunigal - Bangalore.

Roads were in great condition except for SH-85 between Nagalamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga where road widening work is in progress.

Somewhere between Hirisave - Nuggehalli:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5810.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5809.jpg

Parking at Nuggehalli:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5868.jpg

Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Temple at Nuggehalli. This was built in 14th Century and is almost 700 years old (https://goo.gl/maps/WgR7TrBaidEZPcJT8)
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5821.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5836.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5842.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5846.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5848.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5864.jpg

We then visited Sri Sadashivaswamy Temple which is another 14th Century temple at Nuggehalli (https://goo.gl/maps/AqZf6mgVzP7k88Aq9)
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5884.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5877.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5887.jpg

We then decided to drive to Mavanuru Malleshwara temple. This was somewhere on Tiptur - Channarayapatna road:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5892.jpg

A canal between Channarayapatna - Mavanur:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5898.jpg

Mavanuru Malleshwara temple can be seen on top of the hill:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5908.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5910.jpg

Mavanuru Malleshwara temple (https://goo.gl/maps/uxN3ubEAhApbopri6)
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5925.jpg

Awesome views of windmills from Malleshwara temple:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5917.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_5931.jpg

After spending some time at Malleshwara temple, we drove towards Melukote through Shravanabelagola. This was somwehere between Shravanabelagola - Melukote:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201031_064431445_ios.jpg

Akka - Tangi Kola at Melukote (https://goo.gl/maps/x8anuP2pccmxst3s6):
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_6024.jpg

Rayara Gopura at Melukote (https://goo.gl/maps/vpo92RA9M7BLTNHMA):
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_6041.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_6052.jpg

We skipped temple visit at Melukote as it was quite crowded and drove back to Bangalore through SH-85. This is somewhere between Nagamangala - Devalapura:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_6057.jpg

Stopped for lunch on SH-85 near Devalapura:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_6063.jpg

Overall it was a 380 km drive. The roads were excellent except for the SH-85 stretch between Nagamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga. I should have just taken Nagamangala - Bellur Cross instead of trying SH-85.

The route which I took - https://goo.gl/maps/kGPFikSpHX8w83V8A

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 31st October 2020 at 18:42.
guyfrmblr is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 20:55   #558
BHPian

Our drive to Mavanur Malleshwara temple is something that I will remember for life. Thanks to DBhpian Procrj for his timely recommendation.
Anyway, coming to this place if we climb a little bit of off-road track, we can go and park in front of the windmill. Let the pictures do the talking

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-0.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-1.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-43.jpg

Pictures and video do no justice to the size of the windmill. In person, it is easily 2 times bigger.

Last edited by Abhinav V : 1st November 2020 at 21:07.
Abhinav V is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:26   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Nagamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga.
What is wrong with this stretch? Too many deviations due to road widening? I remember BHPian Deehunk mentioning that the stretch from Magadi - Huliyurduga is good now post road works. I have been thinking about driving Magadi - HDurga - Nagamangala for sometime now.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:40   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
What is wrong with this stretch? Too many deviations due to road widening? I remember BHPian Deehunk mentioning that the stretch from Magadi - Huliyurduga is good now post road works. I have been thinking about driving Magadi - HDurga - Nagamangala for sometime now.
I’m not sure about Magadi - Huliyurudurga as I took Huliyurudurga - Kunigal route (SH-33) to join NH-75. But Nagamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga section has too many deviations, dust, slush due to the road widening work and it significantly slows you down. Huliyurudurga - Devalapura stretch has many potholes too. I think this stretch is best avoided until the road widening work is completed. A lots of road construction vehicles criss cross this route adding to the pain.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 21:25   #561
BHPian

Recently visited 'Pearl Valley' for a half-a-day outing. This place is around 50 KM from the city. It is near Anekal, very near to the KA-TN border. We need to search 'Hotel Mayura Nisarga' in G-maps to reach this place. The last few KM of approach road to this hotel is lined with greenery, which is soothing to the eyes.
The entry tax to the hotel is Rs.30; there is plenty of parking space for 2/4 wheelers. Beware of gangs of monkeys; they chase and snatch food items if you carry them with you. There is a small play area with slides etc. to keep kids entertained. A series of steps take you downhill to the stream. there is a small waterfall, which should be beautiful in full-monsoon. We lazed around the stream for some time, relaxed, clicked a few photos, and returned home. All in all, good for a relaxed half-day drive & outing.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201024_133036.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201024_140846.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201024_141639.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201024_142942.jpg  

ankan.m.blr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:07   #562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I’m not sure about Magadi - Huliyurudurga as I took Huliyurudurga - Kunigal route (SH-33) to join NH-75. But Nagamangala - Devalapura - Huliyurudurga section has too many deviations, dust, slush due to the road widening work and it significantly slows you down. Huliyurudurga - Devalapura stretch has many potholes too. I think this stretch is best avoided until the road widening work is completed. A lots of road construction vehicles criss cross this route adding to the pain.
It still is not showtime for this entire stretch. At many sections they are fixing it. But am sure, once the job is done, this would be brilliant to drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 22:16   #563
BHPian

I always had this thought to explore NH207 someday. Google map shows it as 648. Actually it resembles a 2 lane SH more than a NH in terms of road width and quality, the amount of connectivity it provides is very interesting - cuts across four National Highways - Hosur, Kolar, Hyderabad and Tumkur and in the process can completely bypass Bangalore city, hence it is most favored by truckers.

I have used the Whitefield to Hosur stretch via Chikka Tirupati/Sarjapura lot of times, but wanted to try the other end of NH207 leading to Dobbaspet.

Today went on a leisure drive from Whitefield to Dobbaspet via Hoskote, Devanahalli and Doddaballapura, strictly sticking to NH207, although I lost track of the road at one or two instances since the road signs are not consistent and Google/HERE maps always tries to show the shortest path.

Road quality is 80% good through out, 20% of rough patches and road humps, but not bothersome. Best part of the roads are around Doddaballapura and Dobbaspet. Lot of truck traffic in both directions, but as one would expect, they are well mannered, warn about oncoming traffic and help you out with overtakes.

Since Devarayanadurga Hills is so close to Dobbaspet, went for a drive around the hills and the road is in excellent shape. But the road to the top would open only after 10 AM, and there was a huge lineup of bikers and cars waiting for it, gave it a skip. Though I was contemplating to come back via Shivagange and touch Mangalore highway for return journey, but eventually took NH48. Overall a nice 225 KM drive for a lazy sunday morning!

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9233.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9241.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9236-2.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9234.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9239.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_9229.jpg
mankuthimma is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 06:51   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
I always had this thought to explore NH207 someday. Google map shows it as 648. Actually it resembles a 2 lane SH more than a NH in terms of road width and quality, the amount of connectivity it provides is very interesting - cuts across four National Highways - Hosur, Kolar, Hyderabad and Tumkur and in the process can completely bypass Bangalore city, hence it is most favored by truckers.

This forum has a dedicated thread on NH207 !

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...etails-10.html (NH207: Road Status and Route Details)

Many folks also update on the Bangalore bypass thread on 207 (Now called as 648). Like you mentioned this is one of the least known shortest of NH! But with Bangalore expanding as never before and road travel on the rise, many have started putting this highway to good use.

North connectivity from Dobbaspet to Yelahanka and similar locations are great. So is the Hosur/Whitefield/Devanahalli connectivity.

I also noticed that traffic on Dobbaspet-Madhugiri is extremely high. And the charm of Devarayanadurga is near lost with many flocking this place. 10 years back it used to be a beautiful quaint location.

And to add to Shivangange side of the highway, its awesome. Parag did mention earlier that its amazing. I tried it some time recently and it is nothing short of a belter all the way till Magadi. Also this 2-Lane highway has a toll between Guddemaranahalli (On the Hassan 4-lane) to Madagi! Whats more they even support Fastag !

Last edited by ampere : 9th November 2020 at 12:38. Reason: typo fixed threa = thread
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:27   #565
BHPian

Great observations about NH207 and DD hills.. Very well said sir !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

And to add to Shivangange side of the highway, its awesome. Parag did mention earlier that its amazing. I tried it some time recently and it is nothing short of a belter all the way till Magadi. Also this 2-Lane highway has a toll between Guddemaranahalli (On the Hassan 4-lane) to Madagi! Whats more they even support Fastag !
wow! I would like to drive this route sometime. Any suggestions on what would be a good loop to try out starting from Whitefield ?
Old 9th November 2020, 12:41   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
wow! I would like to drive this route sometime. Any suggestions on what would be a good loop to try out starting from Whitefield ?
You can try: Whitefield-Magadi-Guddemaranahalli (Hassan 4-lane crosspoint) -Dobbaspet-Madhugiri-Gouribidanur-Sabbanahalli-Gudibande-Devanahalli-Whitefield
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:55   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can try: Whitefield-Magadi-Guddemaranahalli (Hassan 4-lane crosspoint) -Dobbaspet-Madhugiri-Gouribidanur-Sabbanahalli-Gudibande-Devanahalli-Whitefield
Sorry
Your short, sweet, to-the-point post addressed to Mankuthimma, makes me wonder if DVG's soul was watching over when you typed your post
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:56   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overall a nice 225 KM drive for a lazy sunday morning!

Attachment 2077973
Could you please share more details on the road in your 2nd pic - the road with a bend and tree-canopy with the front of the car in pic? Looks promising if it is long and winding
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:41   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Could you please share more details on the road in your 2nd pic - the road with a bend and tree-canopy with the front of the car in pic? Looks promising if it is long and winding
This one is near Namada Chilume on DD hills. There is a fork on the DD hills road, one that goes to Bangalore and other one is this road which eventually goes to Tumkur. This road has more scenic views than the Bangalore road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Sorry
Your short, sweet, to-the-point post addressed to Mankuthimma, makes me wonder if DVG's soul was watching over when you typed your post
Even I was amazed at the speed at which the response came ! ampere's database is so vast and so fast
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:24   #570
BHPian

Went for a weekend drive to Lepakshi.

Bangalore-Hyderabad highway roads are - Outstanding. Even when we took the left turn to Lepakshi and entered 'non-divided' single lane highway, the quality of roads never went down (expect for the last 3kms where repair works are going on). In fact, I was amazed to see a good section on extreme left and right parts of the road marked and being actively used by bikers.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-1.jpg

Started from Bangalore at 12:30PM. Packed coffee and (late) lunch. There were 2 check posts - One at Andhra Pradesh border entry and another one near Lepakshi. We were not stopped at either of these places. Reached Lepakshi at around 2:45PM.
We went straight in to the temple and paid Rs50 for the entry/parking ticket. Instead of handing over money and collecting printed ticket, I wish they had any form of online payment and sms ticket. There were signs saying 'No Mask - No Entry' and a policeman guarding the entry. Once inside, there were lots of people with and without masks.

Lots and lots of sculptures and overhead paintings that still look good after all these years.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-4_1.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-5.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-6.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-7.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-8.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-9.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-10.jpg

This place is much better kept than what I expected initially with decently maintained gardens and 'ok' toilet facilities. There were lots of monkeys around.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-11.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-12.jpg

There were lots of cars parked in the 2 separate parking lots, one at front and another on the side facing the Garuda on the Hilltop. We spotted a Harrier and also an unregistered Sonet among the mix of many others.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-13.jpg

Visited the Nandi spot on our way back.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2.jpg

We had our evening coffee and 'lunch' and had a great view of the sunset.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-14.jpg

Reached back home at around 8PM. Got an amazing mileage of 20.2km/L (MID) for the round trip of 260Kms in our Creta Diesel AT. Great roads do help. Hoping for Mysore road to be like this once all the work is done.

Last edited by srikanthmadhava : 9th November 2020 at 15:28.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks