Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 15:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Did a trip to coastal Karnataka over the weekend covering Jog,Kumta,Gokarna,Murudeshwar,Kollur,Maravanthe,Ud upi,Agumbe and Shringeri.

Trip details :

D1 : Bangalore(4am)-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-Jog(2pm)-Kumta(4pm). Road conditions mostly good, some broken patches due to rains.

D2 : Kumta-Gokarna-Murudeshwar. Good roads on NH17.

D3 : Murudeshwar-Baindur-Kollur-Baindur-Maravanthe-Udupi. Good roads barring some places on NH17 - particularly between Bhatkal and Shiroor with plenty of potholes. The road from Baindur to Kollur is in very good shape and scenic.

D4 : Udupi(9am)-Agumbe-Shringere-Chickmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Neelamangala-Bangalore(10pm). Udupi till Chickmagalur is extremely scenic and lush green in the monsoons.

Covered 1238 km in 4days. Had a royal time driving the Punto in the rains , especially with the new Continental MC5 tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3315.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3319.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3353.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3361.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3386.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3424.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3436.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3466.jpg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-img_3342.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 12th August 2015 at 15:22.
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 11:45   #152

I went to kollur this weekend. Thanks to ampere for the route suggestions.
For the onward journey I took Nelamangala-ChannaRayaPatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur. Roads are narrow and mostly good. Stayed at Beena Residency which is very near to the temple.
For the return journey I took Kollur-Vandse-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Umblibail-Bhadravati-Arsikere-ChannaRayaPatna-Nelamangala. Except for some bad stretch at the Ghat section after Agumbe, roads are better and wider.This route is slightly longer by about 30 KM.
MidnightBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 08:28   #153
BHPian

I'm going from Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika Temple for my son's vidyarambham, next weekend. I have a few queries for the same.
1. Is the onward route the same as the above? ()
2. Is advance booking required or something we need to bring for the Vidyarambham pooja? I've been told by the hotel receptionist that its not required, but I'd like some confirmation from someone who have gone there for the same. (this not a route/travel query, please excuse).
3. Is jog falls recommended at this time, will there be good amount of water in the falls?
Old 15th January 2016, 09:42   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
1. Is the onward route the same as the above? ()
Yes that would the same.

Quote:
2. Is advance booking required or something we need to bring for the Vidyarambham pooja? I've been told by the hotel receptionist that its not required, but I'd like some confirmation from someone who have gone there for the same. (this not a route/travel query, please excuse).
They dont ask for anything. You just need to go. They do for a group in one go and they have the required items.

Quote:
3. Is jog falls recommended at this time, will there be good amount of water in the falls?
Jog will be a trickle. Not much. They allow water only in July-August-Sep time frame.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:02   #155
BHPian

I'm driving tomorrow to Kollur. Jog falls is out of the itinerary. Thanks, ampere. The plan is to hop over to murudeshwar and stay at Gokarna, spend a day there, once everything is done at Kollur. Is there any recent updates on road conditions that I should be aware of? I'll post the drive experience and road conditions once I'm back at Bangalore.
Old 7th February 2016, 07:19   #156
BHPian

Horizon81, how was your Kollur drive? I am scheduled to drive down to Kollur this week from Blore. Going for my son's Vidyaramham Pooja. Anything you'd like to share from your experience. How were the road conditions?
Thanks.
Old 8th February 2016, 01:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
Horizon81, how was your Kollur drive? I am scheduled to drive down to Kollur this week from Blore. Going for my son's Vidyaramham Pooja. Anything you'd like to share from your experience. How were the road conditions?
Thanks.
I took Nelamangala-ChannaRayaPatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur as suggested earlier in this thread. Roads were good all along this drive. After the pooja we went to Murudeshwar and then on to Gokarna and took the suggested routes in Google maps. Along the way to Murudeshwar, from byndoor there's road widening going on at places and hence you will encounter a little bit of chaotic two way traffic. On the return from Gokarna, we took Sirsi - Haveri - Davangere route and encountered annoying rumble strips between Sirsi and Haveri.

No major concerns on the road condition.

At Kollur, the only restaurant I found decent was Vasudev Adiga's at Hotel Mookambika Palace. A jeep ride we took to Kudajadri was really bad for our backs since its a proper off-road mud track peppered with boulders. I wouldn't suggest taking this if you have elderly folks or young kids in your group. Goes without saying that you need to plan your fuel stops, as you won't find any fuel stations at places where you are going through the forest area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Horizon81 : 8th February 2016 at 01:06. Reason: Added details for fuel availability.
Horizon81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 09:53   #158
BHPian

Took the Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Bhadra-Shimoga-Ayyanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur earlier this week. (447 km one way)

Very nice roads. Between Arsikere and Bhadra there are 2-3 places where the road is dug up for bridge work. The speed breakers (especially the ones that come in sets of 8) are a nuisance. At many places they are not marked. From Nagara to Kollur, in the ghat sections, watch out for the speeding buses. They don't even honk!

At Kollur, Vasudev Adigas is a good place to eat. If you are the experimental type, the small local joints are good enough for dosa/idli/chapati eats.

We started at 615 am from Bangalore and reached Kollur at 445 pm. Lunch was at Shimoga. On the return journey, we started at 8 am and reached Bangalore at 630 pm. Lunch was a Suruchi Hotel, Kadur (Good food). I was running in the car.
jusgetgoing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 22:21   #159
BHPian

Hi , Would be travelling to Kollur this month end.
Would be taking the above mentioned route ( Bangalore - Shimoga - Rittponpet -- Nittur -- Kollur) , thanks for the input guys.

My doubt is , on the next day morning I would like to Visit Udupi, then afterwards would love to make it to Hassan by Afternoon or evening. Got a stay booked in Hassan. Hence the query.

Any suggestions on which route to take ?
Old 4th March 2016, 23:42   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
My doubt is , on the next day morning I would like to Visit Udupi, then afterwards would love to make it to Hassan by Afternoon or evening. Got a stay booked in Hassan. Hence the query.
Any suggestions on which route to take ?
Kollur-Vandse-Ampar-Kundapur-Uduipi.

You should be able to cover this 80km in about 2 hours max.
Old 5th March 2016, 01:44   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kollur-Vandse-Ampar-Kundapur-Uduipi.

You should be able to cover this 80km in about 2 hours max.
Thanks Ampere,

Any guesses from Udupi to Hassan ? ( or is it better to double back? via kollur )
Old 5th March 2016, 02:01   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Thanks Ampere,

Any guesses from Udupi to Hassan ? ( or is it better to double back? via kollur )

That is the standard Shiradi route.

Karkala-Bajagoli-Belthangady-Shiradi-Sakleshpur-Hassan

Last edited by ampere : 5th March 2016 at 16:41.
Old 5th March 2016, 02:07   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is the standard Shiradi route.

Karkala-Baajagoli-Belthangady-Shiradi-Sakleshpur-Hassan

Woo, That is a quick reply, Thanks Ampere
Old 30th May 2016, 11:56   #164
BHPian

Bangalore-Kollur-Murudeswar-Udupi

Friends,

Planning for Bangalore-Sringeri-Kollur-Murudeshwar-Udupi-Bangalore trip.
I am looking for smoothest possible route a.k.a relatively pothole free as I would have elders aboard.

Please help me to finalize the plan. (I have listed GoogleMaps suggested options. Do suggest if you have any better alternatives than the listed ones)

Bangalore-Sringeri-Kollur: Which option?
  • via Sakleshpur-Belur-Sringeri-Agumbe link
  • via Sakleshpur-Belur-Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe link (I know, roads are good till chikmagalur from my recent trip)
Kollur-Murudeswar link: what's the condition of road, especially till Mangalore-Murudeswar highway?

Udupi-Dharmastala: Which option?
  • via Karkala-naravi link
  • via mundkur-moodbidri link
  • via Tallipady-moodbidri link
Also, is it worth to do Jog falls this time of the year?
Old 30th May 2016, 12:14   #165
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Murudeswar-Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Planning for Bangalore-Sringeri-Kollur-Murudeshwar-Udupi-Bangalore trip.
I am looking for smoothest possible route a.k.a relatively pothole free as I would have elders aboard.
A possible option.

- Bangalore-Chikkamagulur-Sringeri
- Sringeri - Kudremukh-Udupi
- Udupi-Kollur-Murdeshwar
- Murdeshwar-Honnavar-Shimoga-Bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks