Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 08:07   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes - I was referring to the same - i.e taking a right turn just after the Nagara fort and reaching Kollur from the Kodachadri side. That was the road I used to take regularly till about 4-5 years ago after which roads on the Kollur-Nagara section became absolutely intolerable. If the roads are done up now, it is a lovely drive (And the traffic used to be very low as well in those days).
Kala,

For your reference:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3646445
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:37   #107

Quote:
Yes - I was referring to the same - i.e taking a right turn just after the Nagara fort and reaching Kollur from the Kodachadri side. That was the road I used to take regularly till about 4-5 years ago after which roads on the Kollur-Nagara section became absolutely intolerable. If the roads are done up now, it is a lovely drive (And the traffic used to be very low as well in those days).
Just back from Kollur>Murudeshwar>Udupi>Mysore Trip...the Roads upto Kollur is fantastic...The Last 15 Kms has be concreted. Many Thanks to Amphere, NPV for making my trip so wonderfull.
Getzzzzzzzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 23:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzzzzzzzy View Post
Just back from Kollur>Murudeshwar>Udupi>Mysore Trip...the Roads upto Kollur is fantastic...The Last 15 Kms has be concreted. Many Thanks to Amphere, NPV for making my trip so wonderfull.
Hey Getzzzzzzzy, So what road did you finally take? I am planning to do Bangalore-Tumakur-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Sagar-Kolur. This is the route I am planning for :https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...14.0070004!3e0

This is based on what Ampere and NPV had suggested. I just have only one confusion. Why go via Thirthahalli to Sagar from Shimoga..wont it be longer that 206 that connects Shimoga directly to Sagar?
Old 20th February 2015, 02:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
Hey Getzzzzzzzy, So what road did you finally take? I am planning to do Bangalore-Tumakur-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Sagar-Kolur. This is the route I am planning for :https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...14.0070004!3e0

This is based on what Ampere and NPV had suggested. I just have only one confusion. Why go via Thirthahalli to Sagar from Shimoga..wont it be longer that 206 that connects Shimoga directly to Sagar?
First of all double check your destination - if it is the place where the Mookambika Temple is located, the place is called "Kollur" not "Kolur". (Your map destination is Kolur - a place about 50 kms North-East of Kollur).

In any case you do not need to go via Thirthahalli to get to Shimoga - NH206 takes you there directly. If your destination happens to be Kollur, there's a route that goes via Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse which most people used to take till a few months ago. (You can go to Thirthahalli from Bhadravathi itself without touching Shimoga).

But the shorter route to get to Kollur (the one that was bad earlier, but repaired now as per recent reports) is to continue further on NH206 itself after passing Shimoga and take a left turn at a place called Ayanur which is about 15 to 20 kms north of Shimoga (This place comes much before you reach Sagar). That road will take you via Ripponpet and Hosanagara to a place called Nagara where you need to take a right turn in order to go to Kollur via Nittur.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 07:42   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As Kala said your destination point is different.

Below is the modified route via Shimoga/Thirthahalli.
Route via Agumbe

If you want to go via Hulikal/Nagar:

Route via Hosanagar
Old 20th February 2015, 11:56   #111
BHPian

Hi

I'm planning to do a trip to Sringeri over the weekend. Which would be the best route to take, how are the road conditions and available stay options?

I have a young son (1.5yrs). Considering this, what are the options enroute to stop for meals / milk / clean toilets etc.

Appreciate your response.

Regards
Saurav
Old 20th February 2015, 12:49   #112
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
I'm planning to do a trip to Sringeri over the weekend. Which would be the best route to take, how are the road conditions and available stay options?
Via Thirthahalli is one option, good roads. Taking Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri, good roads all the way.

You can reach Thirthahalli by taking:
Bangalore-NH 4 upto Tumkur-NH206 upto Shimoga-Tirthahalli
Or
Bangalore-NH 4 upto Nelamangala-NH 48 upto Channrayapatna-Arsikere-NH 206 upto Shimoga

Last edited by NPV : 20th February 2015 at 12:54.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 17:09   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Via Thirthahalli is one option, good roads. Taking Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri, good roads all the way.

You can reach Thirthahalli by taking:
Bangalore-NH 4 upto Tumkur-NH206 upto Shimoga-Tirthahalli
Or
Bangalore-NH 4 upto Nelamangala-NH 48 upto Channrayapatna-Arsikere-NH 206 upto Shimoga
Google maps suggests to go ahead from Channrayapatna, through Belur & Chikkamagalur, to reach Sringeri. How is this stretch compared to taking the Shimoga route? Also, the Shimoga route increases the distance by approx 50kms (as per google).

What do you suggest regarding this aspect?

Regards
Saurav
Old 20th February 2015, 17:16   #114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Google maps suggests to go ahead from Channrayapatna, through Belur & Chikkamagalur, to reach Sringeri. How is this stretch compared to taking the Shimoga route? Also, the Shimoga route increases the distance by approx 50kms (as per google).

What do you suggest regarding this aspect?
My personal choice would be Via Shimoga-Tirthahalli instead of Chikkamagalur due to better roads overall. Chikamagalur route has some narrow, twisty and rough stretches also. Since you have a child also traveling along, suggest go via Shimoga.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 20:08   #115
BHPian

Quote:
But the shorter route to get to Kollur (the one that was bad earlier, but repaired now as per recent reports) is to continue further on NH206 itself after passing Shimoga and take a left turn at a place called Ayanur which is about 15 to 20 kms north of Shimoga (This place comes much before you reach Sagar). That road will take you via Ripponpet and Hosanagara to a place called Nagara where you need to take a right turn in order to go to Kollur via Nittur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want to go via Hulikal/Nagar:

Route via Hosanagar
Thanks Kala and Ampere. I have decided to take the Hosanagar route. And Thanks a lot for clearing the confusion. I would have landed up at Kolur instead of Kollur.
Old 20th February 2015, 21:01   #116
BHPian

Quote:
That road will take you via Ripponpet and Hosanagara to a place called Nagara where you need to take a right turn in order to go to Kollur via Nittur.
Kala, how good is this road? Looked up the google maps and it seems to be showing very small road. I read in previous posts that it was super bad 4-5 years back.

Has anyone recently travelled on the Nagara to Kollur road via Nittur? I am banking on my Cheetah to take me but I have elderly parents travelling along, so trying to be extra careful to make it a lovely journey for them.
Old 20th February 2015, 21:15   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kala, how good is this road? Looked up the google maps and it seems to be showing very small road. I read in previous posts that it was super bad 4-5 years back.

Has anyone recently travelled on the Nagara to Kollur road via Nittur? I am banking on my Cheetah to take me but I have elderly parents travelling along, so trying to be extra careful to make it a lovely journey for them.
Ayyanur-Rippopete- Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur is fantastic. Beyond that its about 20km to Kollur of that some distance, construction is on going. But the road is quite good.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 00:10   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Ayyanur-Rippopete- Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur is fantastic. Beyond that its about 20km to Kollur of that some distance, construction is on going. But the road is quite good.
So came back from Bangalore - Kolur trip.

Thanks Kala and Ampere! Your valuable suggestions made the journey super smooth!

Went by Bangalore - CR Patna - Shimoga - Hosanagar - Kolur. The last leg i.e. Nagar-Nittur-Kolar was deserted as I travelled in the evening. I would suggest to do this stretch only during day time. And also some sections of this road are being worked on. An overall 5kms of broken stretch. But rest of the journey was awesome.

On my way back, decided to explore another route just to understand an alternate route. So came via Simoga-Channagiri-Chtiradurga and then onto NH4(Pune-Bangalore) highway. Took pretty much the same time. But here as well road is bad in stretches especially between Channagiri and Chitrdurga.

Stayed at Abhimon Residency in Kolur. Amazed by the hospitality of the owners and their help in darshan. The amenities were commendable as well. Will recommend it as well.

Last edited by carChef : 23rd February 2015 at 00:13. Reason: corrected the spellings
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:23   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went by Bangalore - CR Patna - Shimoga - Hosanagar - Kolur. The last leg i.e. Nagar-Nittur-Kolar was deserted as I travelled in the evening. I would suggest to do this stretch only during day time. And also some sections of this road are being worked on. An overall 5kms of broken stretch. But rest of the journey was awesome.
In fact even during day you will find this route section a bit deserted. Thats because, its not the main route for any section. Thats good and bad in both sense of the words! Had been to Kodachadri over the year end and hence covered all these sections. Brilliant is the world. Would recommend Mangalore buns by the road side. Esp at Byse.

Just made me think, how paranoid we have become in terms of exploring basic things and hence miss out on the simple pleasures of life.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Just made me think, how paranoid we have become in terms of exploring basic things and hence miss out on the simple pleasures of life.
I totally agree there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks