Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 20:55   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Planning to visit Mookambika and Udupi Sree Krishna temple next week, travellers include a toddler, car is an elite i20 petrol.

Please suggest the best possible route and stay options at Kollur/Udupi.
One option which I can suggest is not to stay in Kollur!

D1 : Drive to Udupi by late noon. You can visit the temple by evening.
D2 : Can do an up and down to Kollur. (Start at 8AM and you can be back by 1). You can spend the evening by the beach if it does not rain.
D3 : Drive back to Bangalore.

You get more options to stay in Udupi/Manipal as compared to Kollur. If you have plans to stay in Kollur you can chose that way too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 22:10   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest the best possible route and stay options at Kollur/Udupi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
D2 : Can do an up and down to Kollur. (Start at 8AM and you can be back by 1). You can spend the evening by the beach if it does not rain.
Do keep a watch on road condition as there have been 2 mudslides in the last few days near Otinene and the new Maravanthe beach road has supposedly developed cracks
http://www.mangaloretoday.com/main/M...ver-2-hrs.html
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:02   #228
BHPian

Thanks Ampere, Procrj,

Please advise on the route to take, I heard that its raining big time, and people belonging to Mangalore are advising to take the normal route to Mangalore, and from there go to Kollur and Udupi.

Bit confused with the route to take.

Want to have darshan at Mookambika the same evening, planning to start early on Friday morning, stay for the night, and take an early morning darshan at the Udupi temple and head back to Bangalore the same day.

No plans to visit any beach or safari etc.

Travelling with family, please advise the best route either ways, google is throwing up different route options everytime!!

Regards
Shailesh
Old 12th June 2017, 12:15   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise on the route to take, I heard that its raining big time, and people belonging to Mangalore are advising to take the normal route to Mangalore, and from there go to Kollur and Udupi.
Note that the last 2 days around here have been witnessing incessant rains that even part of Mangalore-Goa highway faced landslides.

Hopefully, the situation should get better in another 2 days, if rain subsides.

Better to keep an eye on the rains and then make plans.

On the route: Given the present state & the fact that you are going Udupi as well, you can stick to Bangalore - Hassan - Mangalore route because this will always witness higher traffic and hence any smaller blockages will be get faster attention compared to other alternate routes. The road conditions also remain favorable. Options like Agumbe or others might be more riskier than Shiradi option considering that these routes do not have very high density of traffic.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:19   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Note that the last 2 days around here have been witnessing incessant rains that even part of Mangalore-Goa highway faced landslides.

Hopefully, the situation should get better in another 2 days, if rain subsides.
Thanks Parag, would you recommend the same route while coming back as well?

Regards
Shailesh
Old 12th June 2017, 12:23   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag, would you recommend the same route while coming back as well?

Regards
Shailesh
In the interest of family and better roads, I would yes.

If things have improved when you take up your trip, you can always take the faster route but sticking to the same route will give you that piece of mind, more so because you would have taken that during onward and know the condition already rather than be apprehensive about a new route to take after battering rains.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:43   #232
BHPian

I am now thinking of taking the route which Gadadhar took to go to kollur, then comeback via mangalore after visiting udupi.
Will take a detour to visit the harihara temple too
Request you to please suggest good restaurants with clean restrooms on the Davangere route.
Regards
Shailesh
Old 13th June 2017, 22:44   #233
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Request you to please suggest good restaurants with clean restrooms on the Davangere route.
Please look at this post that in turn quotes Parag's post which has lot of details on food & fuel stops on the Bangalore-Pune route, will help you.
Link (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

To that list, I would also add:
1. Pavithra Idly Hotel on right side service road, Kyathasandra, about 2 Km after Tumkur toll
2. Mysore Cafe, just after you cross Chitradurga (near Nijalingappa Memorial)

*These options will only be available based on your start time from Bangalore (most of these open around 6:45-7am)

Last edited by NPV : 13th June 2017 at 22:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 11:43   #234
BHPian

Hi,

Many thanks for the detailed list of places, I would be taking a left turn onto 25 at Davangere and taking the attached route, can you please recommend eateries with clean restrooms suitable for families.

Planning to start by 3 AM from HSR, plan changed to next Friday now.

Regards,
Shailesh
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-screen-shot-20170614-11.41.28-am.png  

Old 28th June 2017, 13:44   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks for the detailed list of places, I would be taking a left turn onto 25 at Davangere and taking the attached route, can you please recommend eateries with clean restrooms suitable for families.

Planning to start by 3 AM from HSR, plan changed to next Friday now.

Regards,
Shailesh
Just back followed the same route to Kollur, took a diversion to visit the Harihareshwara temple at Harihar, super smooth roads, with some bad section before Kollur, saw couple of accidents as well.

Please ensure to tank up, both yourself and your vehicle, before you decide to turn left on to SH25, you will find no place worth stopping.

Stayed at Mahalakshmi residency, which is walkable distance from the temple, next day went to Udupi, then to Mangalore, and returned via Shiradi Ghat section.

The roads are horrible, with huge craters, this coupled with heavy rains is a bad combo. Around 12km of Shiradi ghat is concrete, and is good, the bad stretch I really don't know was how long, I was crawling to ensure that I don't hit any craters.

My mistake was I started really late ~5 from Mangalore and the heavy rains really affected visibility, we were home by 2:30.

Thanks everyone for your help regarding the route.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:11   #236
BHPian

Will be travelling to Kollur in early December. With a 5am start, is Bangalore-Davengere-SH25 the preferred route? Google shows this as the default.
Any point visting Jog falls around this time of the year. I have heard that water is released only on Sundays and public holidays.
Old 28th November 2017, 14:54   #237
Senior - BHPian

Hi sansvk, I came back from a trip to Shimoga on Sunday and started at around 5 am from Bangalore. The route via Davanagere is the fastest route, but since you plan to start early, would suggest you take Bangalore-Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Tirthahalli-Kollur route. Expect very mild traffic on this route and you will find a lot of options to take a break before until Channarayapatna. It took me 5 hours to reach Shimoga in the morning, so you can reach Kollur around 1.00pm.

Last edited by deehunk : 28th November 2017 at 15:03.
Old 2nd December 2017, 19:31   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Hi sansvk, I came back from a trip to Shimoga on Sunday and started at around 5 am from Bangalore. The route via Davanagere is the fastest route, but since you plan to start early, would suggest you take Bangalore-Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Tirthahalli-Kollur route.
Thanks, I left Bangalore this morning and took the Davangere-SH25 route.
After the turn into SH25 towards Honnali, the roads are very good for a few kms, then its a nightmare (before and after Malebennur) when you see km after km of broken roads. When I mean broken, its 2 layers peeled off on both lanes. Its one of worst streches I travelled in South india. As you reach Honnali the roads are good.
From Honnali the road to Kollur via Ayanur, Hosanagara, Nagara, Nittur is good, but twisty. Most of ghat section near Kollur has concrete and rest is well tarred, wide enough for two vehicles.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 21:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Glad you visited the temple, that is why I suggested the alternate route. The link roads suggested by Google may get updated once in a while unlike the roads around cities.
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:29   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Glad you visited the temple, that is why I suggested the alternate route. The link roads suggested by Google may get updated once in a while unlike the roads around cities.
On the return, I did try the route you mentioned. Well one of the major reasons for taking the Thirthahalli was to get to a decent petrol bunk.
Kollur-Nagara: Excellent roads, less traffic
Nagara-Thirthahalli: First few kms are good, can maintain 80kmph. Then the next 7 to 10kms are roads with the top layer off, exposing the gravel. I couldn't maintain more than 40 on my Ecosport. Then the roads widen and has great tarmac enabling speeds of 80+. Less traffic.
Thirthahalli-Muttinakoppa Road Bridge: Good SH roads, work is being done to tar and widen. Great to see the Tunga in full flow from the Bridge.
Bridge to SH65: Narrow village road, average road conditions.
SH65, SH57: Good roads, few small towns near the Bhadra Dam.
NH206: Disappointing, this being my first trip on the NH206, I was expecting a wide smooth tarmac. But this was just like any other SH with too many humps, potholes, heavy traffic. Only advantage is the eateries and fuel stops near the major towns.
Arasikere-Tiptur: good roads can maintain 80, being widened.
Tiptur-Yadiyur: Good roads can maintain 80 except near villages where they have humps. In the last few kms near Yadiyur there are roads are broken.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Sr...5987!3e0?hl=en

Summary:
if you can manage food and fuel breaks then stick to Davangere-SH25 route, else try to get onto NH206.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks