Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2022, 19:32   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries

Update:

I returned from Manipal. Route taken was
Manipal- Agumbe-Tirthahalli-Lakkavalli-Tarikere-Kadur-Arsikere-Tumkur-Nelamangala-Nice road Kanakapura exit. Left Manipal at 9.45 am and was at Kanakapura exit at 5 pm, with a 30m break time in the drive.

Agumbe ghat roads were super good. Roads by and large were good though out. Thanks to Poloman’s post, I think I did save an hour in the entire journey. There are a few small bad but bearable stretches, but nothing you’ll remember.

Some pictures of the 4 laning at Tarikere, Kadur,Arsikere,Tumkur sides. I missed a diversion to Tumkur and ended up with a small off-road that my A6 enjoyed.

Gmaps, strangely was continuously promoting me towards Ajjampur, Hosadurga stretch, several times. I had to ignore those each time and continue to Tumkur.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-59646e45b8114d0facfc23789f51d08c.jpeg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-b90a0e8d838d430194793ded61e6f34e.jpeg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-d8ed70bb76c0481d87f63f6917b2e92b.jpeg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-31cb8f75d0574d0f8b79952602af2864.jpeg  

Bangalore to Kollur Mookambika : Route Queries-a8d9d6461c404e648e1f77259a7cbfe6.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:48   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Gmaps, strangely was continuously promoting me towards Ajjampur, Hosadurga stretch, several times. I had to ignore those each time and continue to Tumkur.
This is mainly because of crowd sourcing! Remember for Pondicherry it was originally via Tiruvannamalai till we all started to take the route via Arcot and Google moved its suggestion to Arcot.

Crowd sourcing is powerful!
Once people start seeing benefit of the old NH206 and start using it, Google will follow.

Also how is the Tumkur bypass? I mean bypass to Kadur side from NH4 toll point.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:53   #378
Senior - BHPian

I didn’t look for the bypass because we were hungry and took the Tumkur ring road to reach Pavithra hotel which is on the Mumbai-Blr highway.

If you’re asking about the Tumkur ring road, then that was fantastic indeed. Smooth surface throughout.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 20:13   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I didn’t look for the bypass because we were hungry and took the Tumkur ring road to reach Pavithra hotel which is on the Mumbai-Blr highway.
Yes I did mean the ring road.

I also got curious to check on the over all status: I see a new bypasses pretty much on most towns, including Shimoga!
Old 10th October 2022, 20:34   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes I did mean the ring road.

I also got curious to check on the over all status: I see a new bypasses pretty much on most towns, including Shimoga!
Yes. I remember going through congested lanes of Shimoga on an earlier trip to Kollur. This time it was a breeze. Shimoga got extra attention last few years since it was earlier CM's home town. All towns like Tiptur, Arsikere etc have bypasses but not yet operational.

Tumkur bypass is in excellent condition now. This also used to be a nightmare earlier.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 09:27   #381
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kollur. It will be an early morning start from Bangalore. Can you please suggest the best route which is good for Sedan (Honda City)?
Old 14th December 2022, 13:09   #382
BHPian

Im also planning a trip this week, Bangalore to Kollur. But mine will be a late morning start ~ 10.00 am due to some school activity.

Can someone please suggest the best route available.
Old 18th December 2022, 20:16   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am not sure why people are taking routes other than the shortest route to Kollur via Tumkur>Tiptur>Arsikere>Shivamogga>Ripponpet>Hosana gara>Nagara>Kollur.
Thank you for your suggestion. We are traveling from Bangalore and planning to take this route encouraged by your post. Could you please suggest good veg restaurants for breakfast and lunch along this route? This is the first time I will be traveling through this stretch.
Old 24th January 2023, 15:27   #384
BHPian

I am travelling from chennai to kollur in 2 days. i had done this trip about 4 years ago and took Chennai-bangalore-Tumkur-Davangere-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Kollur route. We had left at 5am and reached Kollur by about 6pm. I need advice on whether to stick to this route or to take the route via Tiptur-Shimoga-Ripponpet.

I am planning to reach bangalore via the old madras road as the Krishnagiri route is in a bad state.

Please advise on the faster route. Would also appreciate it if you could update us on the presence of speed cameras between bangalore and davangere.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th January 2023, 19:23   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
i had done this trip about 4 years ago and took Chennai-bangalore-Tumkur-Davangere-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Kollur route. We had left at 5am and reached Kollur by about 6pm.
Thanks in advance
You can change this route to Tumkur -> Chitradurga ->Holalkere ->Channagiri ->Shimoga -> Ripponpet ->Hosanagara ->Kollur

Just that there might be road work for about 15 Kms in between Channagiri and before Shimoga after Holehonnur.

Quote:
I need advice on whether to stick to this route or to take the route via Tiptur-Shimoga-Ripponpet.
Road widening work are going on in multiple locations. Not recommended for now.

Quote:
Would also appreciate it if you could update us on the presence of speed cameras between bangalore and davangere.
No idea on the speed cameras.

Last edited by carlosTHEjackal : 24th January 2023 at 19:24.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 10:29   #386
BHPian

I recently visited Kollur Mookambika temple, Murudeswar, and Sringeri from Bangalore. Here’s the update as on 26th Jan 2023.

Day 1 - Bangalore-Nelamangala- Chokkenahalli Toll Plaza- Gubbi-Nittur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Lakkavalli-Thirthahalli-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur

Chokkenhalli toll to Gubbi - This is a single-lane road with a lot of speed breakers. The traffic was also heavy

Gubbi to Birur- The road work is going on all the way till Birur just before Tarikere. Most of the journey was through poorly maintained service roads or single-lane roads with a lot of oncoming traffic

Tarikere-Lakkavalli-Thirthahalli-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur – Good roads with a few broken patches but no issue for low GC cars.

For breakfast, stopped at Hotel Nanjundeshwara, Veg Restaurant before Chokkenhalli toll

For lunch, stopped at Aramane Vaibhava Tarikere. This is the last good restaurant I could locate before entering Kollur route

Overall, Gubbi-Nittur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere route should be avoided. Either take Hiriyur -Hosadurga-Tarikere-Kollur or Chitradurga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Kollur

Day 2 – Kollur Mookambika temple – Yellor – Bhatkal – Murudeshwar

The roads are in good condition throughout.

Had breakfast at Mahalakshmi Veg Restaurant, Kollur

Had lunch and dinner at RNS Café,Murudeshwar

Day 3 – Murudeshwar – Halady – Agumbe – Sringeri

The roads are in excellent condition. Besides a couple of challenging uphill drives on Agumbe Ghat, this route is picturesque and virtually traffic-free.

Pitstop – After Halady towards Agumbe, stopped here for tender coconut, sugarcane juice, and fruits. This is a nice section to stop and enjoy the break

Had lunch and dinner at Sri Sharada Athitya, Sringeri

Day 4 – Sringeri- Balehonnur-Aldur-Haandi-Basagal-Singapura-Belur-Yadiyur-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Bangalore

Sringeri – Balehonnur- Aldur – fantastic roads.

Aldur -Haandi – Basegal- Singapore- Belur - I accidentally took this route as I was using Google Maps. The road from Haandi to Belur is completely broken. Avoid taking this route and instead turn left after Aldur in the direction of Chikmagalur to connect to the Hiremagalur- Channapura route that leads to Belur.

Belur-Kunigal-Nelamangala- Usual four-lane highway road.

Pitstop/Lunch – Had coffee and snacks at Khandya café & kitchen. This is a lovely cafe with delicious food and clean restrooms.

Last edited by swoosh : 30th January 2023 at 10:36.
swoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 13:12   #387
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best route to Kollur from Bangalore in the latest conditions?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th March 2023 at 13:19.
Old 20th March 2023, 14:19   #388
Senior - BHPian

Many would suggest you the route via Chitradurga - Shimoga to Kollur, but consider the pit stop factor for this long journey. It will be very hot in Kollur, so plan for your stay in advance.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 09:36   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Which is the best route to Kollur from Bangalore in the latest conditions?
If you want scenic route, you can opt for Bangalore - Hassan - Agumbe - Kollur.
If you do take this route, Belur - Aldur section was bad last time I took this route, Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur is better option.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 09:41   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
If you want scenic route, you can opt for Bangalore - Hassan - Agumbe - Kollur.
If you do take this route, Belur - Aldur section was bad last time I took this route, Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur is better option.
The other scenic option is: Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks