Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell
I am planning a trip to Alleppy from Bangalore in the last week of Dec. The plan is to leave a little relaxed, somewhere in the afternoon from Bangalore and reach Coimbatore by evening. Halt there overnight. Leave early morning the next day and reach Alleppy by afternoon to spend more time there.
Can anyone suggest some good hotels for overnight stay in Coimbatore. I wouldn't want to deviate too much from the byepass. I am travelling with my wife and 3 year old son.
There are no hotels close to the bypass except for the new Le meridien.Instead you can consider staying at Travellers Inn attached to Sree Saravana Bhavan at Sankari 30kms out of Salem towards CBE.Since you are going to be leaving early morning next day you can cross Avinashi before all the local traffic starts.Tbhpian Pramodpk and Vrvarier have stayed at this place during their drives and have advised its a good place for a stopover.You could check with them as well.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 3rd December 2012 at 06:14.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:41   #62
BHPian

Re: Hotels enroute Cochin-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There are no hotels close to the bypass except for the new Le meridien.Instead you can consider staying at Travellers Inn attached to Sree Saravana Bhavan at Sankari 30kms out of Salem towards CBE.Since you are going to be leaving early morning next day you can cross Avinashi before all the local traffic starts.Tbhpian Pramodpk and Vrvarier have stayed at this place during their drives and have advised its a good place for a stopover.You could check with them as well.
Thanks Ranjit, I have read abt this place near Salem. However, my plan is to cover half the distance or even more on the first day. How about if I drive down furthur to Palakkad and halt there for the night? Any good hotels on NH47 at Palakkad for overnight stay?
The other option is what someone suggested on this thread itself a couple of posts earlier. Take left at Perumanallur, stay at Tirupur overnight and next day early morning drive down to Vadakencherry via Pollachi. This way I can completely bypass Avinashi, CBE and Palakkad. So, how's the condition of this stretch, Perumanallur-Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakencherry. Also, how's the road from Vadakencherry to Thrissur?
Any good overnight stay hotels at Tirupur apart from Ginger?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Any good hotels on NH47 at Palakkad for overnight stay?
The other option is what someone suggested on this thread itself a couple of posts earlier. Take left at Perumanallur, stay at Tirupur overnight and next day early morning drive down to Vadakencherry via Pollachi. This way I can completely bypass Avinashi, CBE and Palakkad. So, how's the condition of this stretch, Perumanallur-Tirupur-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakencherry. Also, how's the road from Vadakencherry to Thrissur?
Any good overnight stay hotels at Tirupur apart from Ginger?
Since you are travelling beyond Palakkad,I would suggest that you take the Perundurai-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Edappally-Alleppey route as the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is a nightmare to drive on.

At Tirupur,a friend tells me that Angel and Gayathri(reccomended by Ajithbr in an earlier post) are good.Ginger is too expensive and very basic for the rates IMO. www.hotelangelindia.com

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...a=5,6&t=m&z=15
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are travelling beyond Palakkad,I would suggest that you take the Perundurai-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Edappally-Alleppey route as the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur is a nightmare to drive on.

At Tirupur,a friend tells me that Angel and Gayathri(reccomended by Ajithbr in an earlier post) are good.Ginger is too expensive and very basic for the rates IMO. www.hotelangelindia.com

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...a=5,6&t=m&z=15
Ranjit, thanks so much for suggesting this alternative route. This actually works for me very well. By any chance is this route longer to Thrissur than taking the usual NH-47? And how's the road condition throughout from Tirupur to Thrissur? Have you been on this stretch before?
Also, thanks for suggesting alternative hotels in Tirupur. I too feel Ginger is charging way too much for the facilities they provide. Hence, was looking for alternatives.
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit, thanks so much for suggesting this alternative route. This actually works for me very well. By any chance is this route longer to Thrissur than taking the usual NH-47? And how's the road condition throughout from Tirupur to Thrissur? Have you been on this stretch before?
Also, thanks for suggesting alternative hotels in Tirupur. I too feel Ginger is charging way too much for the facilities they provide. Hence, was looking for alternatives.
Roads are good on this sector.Should take around 120-150mins from Tirupur to Alathur.30 minutes from there to Pazhayannur.Another 45-60 mins to Wadakancheri.30mins to Thrissur.60mins to Edappally.Bear in mind Tiruppur is a congested town and prone to traffic jams,so get the route to the hotel beforehand itself.Also NH47 is under unmanned speed radar surveillance so keep your speeds to 70kph.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Roads are good on this sector.Should take around 120-150mins from Tirupur to Alathur.30 minutes from there to Pazhayannur.Another 45-60 mins to Wadakancheri.30mins to Thrissur.60mins to Edappally.Bear in mind Tiruppur is a congested town and prone to traffic jams,so get the route to the hotel beforehand itself.Also NH47 is under unmanned speed radar surveillance so keep your speeds to 70kph.
Thanks again, Ranjit. I have just one last question . On this stretch, are there any good restaurants whereby we can stop for lunch.
Also, at Kollengode, instead of going to Alathur if I go towards Vadakkencherry and turn left on NH-47 towards Thrissur, is the stretch between Vadakkencherry and Thrissur that bad.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again, Ranjit. I have just one last question . On this stretch, are there any good restaurants whereby we can stop for lunch.
Also, at Kollengode, instead of going to Alathur if I go towards Vadakkencherry and turn left on NH-47 towards Thrissur, is the stretch between Vadakkencherry and Thrissur that bad.
There are plenty of wayside restaurants.Nothing fancy though.For the latest updates on the Palakkad-Thrissur road conditions refer to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-299.html
Old 18th December 2012, 17:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a very roundabout way of getting to Alleppy. Please stick to the NH upto Palakkad and get to Trichur via Shornur instead - the road upto Shornur is worth driving on, and the SHR-Trichur route is congested but in good shape & the traffic keeps moving at a good rate.

Going to Pollachi, and then to Wadakkanchery via Chelakkara is an extremely contorted route and not called for unless you're feeling very touristy and have lots of time in hand.

Try this route
Old 18th December 2012, 17:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vadakkencherry-Trichur is the stretch you would want to avoid most - probably the worst on NH47 !!
Old 18th December 2012, 22:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is a very roundabout way of getting to Alleppy. Please stick to the NH upto Palakkad and get to Trichur via Shornur instead - the road upto Shornur is worth driving on, and the SHR-Trichur route is congested but in good shape & the traffic keeps moving at a good rate.

Going to Pollachi, and then to Wadakkanchery via Chelakkara is an extremely contorted route and not called for unless you're feeling very touristy and have lots of time in hand.

Try this route
Oh man, change of plan at the last minute, not good
I have already booked a hotel for overnight stay at Tirupur. So, the next day should I continue from Tirupur to Palladam, take right and then join the CBE bypass to continue onto Palakkad?
Old 18th December 2012, 23:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh man, change of plan at the last minute, not good
I have already booked a hotel for overnight stay at Tirupur. So, the next day should I continue from Tirupur to Palladam, take right and then join the CBE bypass to continue onto Palakkad?
Touching Tiruppur wasn't really necessary (That town is a big pain to pass through), but now that you've booked accommodation there, it is better to go via Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode. Will help you avoid the NH47 construction activities from Avinashi to CBE and CBE to Walayar.

Also the diversion via Chelakkara-Wadakkancherry is basically meant to avoid the terrible stretch on NH47 between Vadakkencherry and Mannuthy. I don't think you'll regret the extra 15-20 kms that you drive by taking that diversion, It is really worth it.
Old 19th December 2012, 15:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
it is better to go via Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode. Will help you avoid the NH47 construction activities from Avinashi to CBE and CBE to Walayar.

I don't think you'll regret the extra 15-20 kms that you drive by taking that diversion, It is really worth it.
That was the exact reason I was planning to take the route via Tirupur-Pollachi. As you mentioned, extra 15-20 kms is absolutely fine as long as the roads are good. I just hope its not a very big detour.
Old 19th December 2012, 16:49   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That was the exact reason I was planning to take the route via Tirupur-Pollachi. As you mentioned, extra 15-20 kms is absolutely fine as long as the roads are good. I just hope its not a very big detour.
You can also think off staying at Perundurai. And then the next day get off GQ and continue via Kangeyam.

Now that you've booked it's fine. Just meant for next time!
Old 19th December 2012, 22:38   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can also think off staying at Perundurai. And then the next day get off GQ and continue via Kangeyam.

Now that you've booked it's fine. Just meant for next time!
Do you mean taking right at Kangeyam and joining the CBE bypass? If so, I can do the same by staying at Tirupur i.e. go to Palladam from Tirupur and take right to join the CBE bypass. Am I right?
Old 19th December 2012, 22:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean taking right at Kangeyam and joining the CBE bypass? If so, I can do the same by staying at Tirupur i.e. go to Palladam from Tirupur and take right to join the CBE bypass. Am I right?
No, I think what Ampere was referring to was the possibility of avoiding Tiruppur altogether by staying at Perundurai and taking the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Pollachi-Kollengode route.

As I said earlier, Tiruppur town can be a pain to pass through because it is a pretty busy place and roads aren't that easy to locate. So I guess he was just mentioning about the alternate route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks