Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 09:30   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Any latest update on route from Bangalore South (RR Nagar) to Vythiri Resort, Wayanad?
6laning work is underway on the Bangalore-Mysore NH. plenty of well marked diversions and a few unmarked speedbreakers along the stretch now. For an early morning (5AM-6AM) start from RR nagar, this would be the recommended route to Mysore.
Mysore (ORR) - Nanjangud- Gundlupet - Bandipur- Muthanga- Bathery- Kalpetta is in excellent condition throughout except for patches on Mysore ORR. Kalpetta bypass is in bad condition but manageable. Rest of the route upto Vythiri is excellent. No idea about the last couple of Kms from Vythiri to the resort.
Expect speed interceptor vehicles on the Bathery-Kalpetta stretch. Saw one even on a sunday last week near Muttil.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:33   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
For an early morning (5AM-6AM) start from RR nagar, this would be the recommended route to Mysore.
Mysore (ORR) - Nanjangud- Gundlupet - Bandipur- Muthanga- Bathery- Kalpetta is in excellent condition throughout except for patches on Mysore ORR
One doesn't need to touch Bandipur by the way. A deviation to right at Gundlupet would take one to Muthanga. For a scenic drive one can take the Bangalore -Kanakapura- Malavalli route to Mysore. I use this route more often. Roads are slightly bad still Harohalli but manageable.90% of the stretch( till Mysore) is in top shape and you can maintain a higher avg. speed than the Bangalore -Mysore highway and can avoid the mad rush too. It's a route to be taken one wishes a peaceful drive.

Please note, there are very few good restaurants with clean washrooms in that route. Chikoo Farm Inn(9242282233) is one with very neat washrooms and decent food.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4F94SARBcxnzLv7z5
It shows as temporarily closed in Google now.

Another one is just before Kanakapura town, Hotel Pride 9686762919.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZJpRCw7hRcTsUYd56

Quote:
Expect speed interceptor vehicles on the Bathery-Kalpetta stretch. Saw one even on a sunday last week near Muttil.
There are interceptors before Muthanga too. 80 kmph is the speed limit, breaching that would set you back by ₹1500.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 14th October 2020 at 11:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:14   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
One doesn't need to touch Bandipur by the way. A deviation to right at Gundlupet would take one to Muthanga.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4F94SARBcxnzLv7z5
It shows as temporarily closed in Google now.

Another one is just before Kanakapura town, Hotel Pride 9686762919.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZJpRCw7hRcTsUYd56

There are interceptors before Muthanga too. 80 kmph is the speed limit, breaching that would set you back by ₹1500.
I meant Bandipur forest. My bad, should have been more clear.

Interceptors before Muthanga on KL side or KA side? Have never seen anyone being stopped on KA side between Gundlupet and Maddur check post.
On KL side, between Bathery and Muthanga? have not seen KL police interceptors anytime there.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 14th October 2020 at 13:16.
Old 14th October 2020, 13:18   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interceptors before Muthanga on KL side or KA side? Have never seen anyone being stopped on KA side at least.
KL side, just after Ponkuzhi Temple which is some 2.5 kms before Muthanga RTO checkpost. They're not stationed there always though.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 02:21   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Safer to stay under 70kmph. A nephew of mine got booked for driving at 75 and when he queried them if 80 wasn't the speed limit on all National Highways the cops told him that all roads in Wayanad district are designated as Ghat roads and hence the limit is 45 - but they said they are booking only people going over 70.

Interceptors are generally between Bathery and Kalpetta, but I have seen them a couple of times around Muthanga too. (More common in this stretch is a squad checking for documents). They are much more frequent in the Bathery-Kalpetta stretch - especially on the straight section after Krishnagiri Cricket stadium turnoff (before Meenangadi) or the long straight stretch between Kakkavayal and Muttil.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 07:36   #306
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best route option to travel to Tirunelli considering animal sighting chances and road condition.. We plan to start at 5 am before traffic builds from JP Nagar. In my past experience, Nagerhole Kutta stretch was better for animal sighting than the Kabini Kattikulam route. I understand its always a matter of luck though!!!

We are also looking for a safe breakfast option if available (might be too early on Mysore stretch ). We used to break at Coorg Cafe near Hunsur, but worried if it is a safe place in the current situation, else planning to carry food.
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:06   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Which is the best route option to travel to Tirunelli considering animal sighting chances and road condition.. We plan to start at 5 am before traffic builds from JP Nagar. In my past experience, Nagerhole Kutta stretch was better for animal sighting than the Kabini Kattikulam route. I understand its always a matter of luck though!!!

We are also looking for a safe breakfast option if available (might be too early on Mysore stretch ). We used to break at Coorg Cafe near Hunsur, but worried if it is a safe place in the current situation, else planning to carry food.
If you are crossing the forest post 10 am on either routes, the chances of any spottings (carnivores) are pretty less. Elephants and spotted dears would be the usual sightings. The Nagarahole - Kutta route will have lesser traffic in the forest part.

From my recent travels, most food joints on the highways are back to usual self albiet with a thermometer and hand sanitiser.

Are you heading to Jungle Retreat?
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:29   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If you are crossing the forest post 10 am on either routes, the chances of any spottings (carnivores) are pretty less. Elephants and spotted dears would be the usual sightings. The Nagarahole - Kutta route will have lesser traffic in the forest part.

From my recent travels, most food joints on the highways are back to usual self albiet with a thermometer and hand sanitiser.

Are you heading to Jungle Retreat?
Thanks Krishna. Agreed on the spotting part, just trying to maximize the luck by checking on recent sightings om both the stretches . You know, I once got lucky with leopard sighting in Chinnar at mid noon, even tiger once crossed road in Nagerhole forest during noon.

See the 15 year old poor quality leopard snap from a good old cannon first gen digicam in the glaring sunlight.

Route query to Wayanad-090126munnar-309.jpg

You guessed it right, Tirunelli has to be Jungle Retreat, one place you never get bored with.

Last edited by gadadhar : 3rd December 2020 at 09:57.
Old 12th March 2021, 12:53   #309
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Wayanad from Bangalore. Planning to drive instead of taking a taxi. I need help with planning the trip. I am not a big fan of driving almost 7 hours. So, I would like to stop for a day at some place in the middle. I will be traveling with my children (5 and 3 year old) and my mother in law. So, any place with farms, resorts, or any famous temples can be considered. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:03   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I am planning a trip to Wayanad from Bangalore. Planning to drive instead of taking a taxi. I need help with planning the trip. I am not a big fan of driving almost 7 hours. So, I would like to stop for a day at some place in the middle. I will be traveling with my children (5 and 3 year old) and my mother in law. So, any place with farms, resorts, or any famous temples can be considered. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Middle here would roughly be around Srirangapatna / Mysore. Since you are looking at resorts & temples, wouldn't be a bad idea to stay at one of the resorts in Srirangapatna, would recommend Young Island, Mayura River View or if you are on a lower budget, even Amblee Resorts. Hope this helps.
kannan666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:33   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which part of Wayanad? Bathery/Kalpetta/Mananthavady? even with sedate driving, most of us cover Bangalore - Bathery in 6 hours. With an early morning start, you can even do it in 5- 5.5 hours. However if you still want to break the journey, staying at Mysore would be the best choice. Many many options available inside the city across all budgets. Unlike Bangalore, Mysore is not a very crowded city so getting in and getting out is not that difficult.

Also, hope you are aware, while returning you may need a Covid negative certificate to cross the check post back to Karnataka.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 12th March 2021 at 13:35.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 14:29   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Which part of Wayanad? Bathery/Kalpetta/Mananthavady? even with sedate driving, most of us cover Bangalore - Bathery in 6 hours. With an early morning start, you can even do it in 5- 5.5 hours.

Also, hope you are aware, while returning you may need a Covid negative certificate to cross the check post back to Karnataka.
We'll be going to Tirunelly. I was going by the time indicated by Google Maps + 1 hour for a stop for food.

Any idea if there are checks for COVID certificate, and if that is required for small children also? My wife went to Cochin and returned last week. She had the certificate, but informed that there was no checking at the airport. Similarly, some friends also went to Cochin by car, and they too were not asked for the COVID test results on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Middle here would roughly be around Srirangapatna / Mysore. Since you are looking at resorts & temples, wouldn't be a bad idea to stay at one of the resorts in Srirangapatna, would recommend Young Island, Mayura River View or if you are on a lower budget, even Amblee Resorts. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the recommendations.
Old 12th March 2021, 15:52   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We'll be going to Tirunelly. I was going by the time indicated by Google Maps + 1 hour for a stop for food.
For Thirunelly, the route would be Mysore-HD Kote- Bavali- Kattikulam- Thirunelly. This also can be done in 6 hours easily with an early morning start. However, if you want to take a break, on this route, there are plenty of options to break near Kabani area. There are many resorts in and around Kabani. You could even take an evening safari at the Nagarhole Wildlife sanctuary too if you stay in one of those resorts.

Quote:
Any idea if there are checks for COVID certificate, and if that is required for small children also? My wife went to Cochin and returned last week. She had the certificate, but informed that there was no checking at the airport. Similarly, some friends also went to Cochin by car, and they too were not asked for the COVID test results on the way back.
As far as I know, there are checks for Covid negative certificate at all KA-KL borders including the one at Bavali, Wayanad. They are not too keen on certificates for kids below 10 years. But this again depends on the officers stationed there.
Your friends who came from Kochi would have entered KA through Hosur/Atibele and since there is no way to conclusively identify if the car is coming from KL or TN there, KA govt is not checking.
Old 15th March 2021, 10:09   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For Thirunelly, the route would be Mysore-HD Kote- Bavali- Kattikulam- Thirunelly.
Mysore - Hunsur - Nagerhole - Tholpetty - Tirunelli is another option, both the routes are equally good and takes almost the same time. Nagerhole route will give you a longer drive through the Nagerhole reserve. Your resort folks in Tirunelli should be able to advise on the Covid checking at the border
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 10:46   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Mysore - Hunsur - Nagerhole - Tholpetty - Tirunelli is another option, both the routes are equally good and takes almost the same time. Nagerhole route will give you a longer drive through the Nagerhole reserve. Your resort folks in Tirunelli should be able to advise on the Covid checking at the border
But what goes against the Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta route is the terrible condition of a 12km stretch from Hunsur side Nagarhole entrance towards Kutta. Comparitively, road is much better on the Bavali route. Post this stretch, the road is very good till Kutta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks