Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 12:27   #2566
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Is anyone travelling this Friday evening (15th Nov) towards Mumbai from Bangalore side?
One of my friends needs to hitch a ride till Belgavi.

Happy to share fuel costs. He doesn't know to drive.
Old 1st December 2019, 20:56   #2567
BHPian

Returned from Mumbai to Bangalore yesterday. Started at 02:30 AM from Kalyan and reached home (Ramamurthy Nagar) at 08:20 PM, close to 18 hours drive. I do Mumbai trip once in a year, my average time is 15 hours that involves 2-3 breaks. Road conditions are bad after Hubli with many diversions.
Reason for delay :-
1. 40 mins delay at Lonavala ghat, due to heavy vehicles traffic(they occupy all the lanes)
2. Confusion at toll plazas on Dedicated Fastag lanes vs Hybrid Fastag lanes
3. Road conditions specially Karnataka side

My 2 weeks trip was from Bang-Goa-Mum-Bang. Bangalore to Hubli is not as bad as Hubli to Bangalore.
vijaymishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:01   #2568
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore during last weekend. The roads are in good conditions all throughout except for the diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli. And the speed breakers at these diversions are really a pain, no standards or uniformity followed.

The two tolls near pune was very crowded both ways.

Multiple speed-guns on the Mumbai expressway.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:09   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Did Bangalore - Mumbai - Bangalore during last weekend. The roads are in good conditions all throughout except for the diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli.
How is the Pune-Satara stretch now? Its a shame they took ages to fix that stretch. In comparison look at how the Agra Lucknow highway was constructed!
Old 4th December 2019, 10:46   #2570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
How is the Pune-Satara stretch now? Its a shame they took ages to fix that stretch. In comparison look at how the Agra Lucknow highway was constructed!
That stretch can potentially be lifelong misery! It gets worse during the monsoon when all the service lanes get destroyed; I've seen Volvo buses get stranded because the craters are that deep.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:12   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That stretch can potentially be lifelong misery! It gets worse during the monsoon when all the service lanes get destroyed; I've seen Volvo buses get stranded because the craters are that deep.
Post monsoons, the Pune--Shirwal part of Pune--Satara did get worse but not extremely terrible. Volvo buses still keep flying over the bad stretches. I drove twice from Mumbai to Belgaum/Manipal and back to Mumbai in the last two months. But yes, I totally agree that its shameful the Pune--Satara 6 laning is taking ages for completion. Presently, the diversions and some sections near Kapurhol and Khambatki ghat are ridden with potholes and rough roads but not too horrendous. For example, the Chorla ghat in Goa limits has some really horrendous potholes and craters ( as of October end) but Pune--Satara is not so bad in comparison.

I did see the potholes being filled up the last time I drove from Mumbai to Belgaum. Post Khambatki ghat till Satara, you will come across some superficial potholes appearing out of nowhere on fast lanes. So night time driving warrants extra caution. In broad daylight, you need not worry much.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:19   #2572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Post monsoons, the Pune--Shirwal part of Pune--Satara did get worse but not extremely terrible.
"Extremely terrible" to me was just once, I guess 2013. After this, a lot has improved both with the main corridor as well as the diversions.

The pain of the bad stretches on diversions feels more pronounced when you are driving along with peak tourist traffic because that is exactly when things get into crawling mode in and around these diversions.

Honestly, last 3 years with Satara-Pune stretch has mainly seen things improve rather than deteriorate despite of the fact that work on this stretch has taken an epic time to get completed.

Compare this to Chitradurga - Hubli stretch - Well, in the first place, the traffic density itself is way too low that you won't feel the pain often. Secondly, I will prefer bad roads over diversions than unscientific, unmarked and inconsistent placement of speedbreakers around these diversions. This is the story of Chitradurga - Hubli. The obsession I believe is not to expand the road but to design speedbreakers of different shapes and sizes and place them randomly. This is the most irritating aspect even before you want to refer to the bad roads. You drive 100 times on this stretch but you cannot be a master to ascertain when and where is the next speedbreaker. Few are before a diversion, few are on the diversion and few have none!

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th December 2019 at 11:21.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:43   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I did see the potholes being filled up the last time I drove from Mumbai to Belgaum. Post Khambatki ghat till Satara, you will come across some superficial potholes appearing out of nowhere on fast lanes. So night time driving warrants extra caution. In broad daylight, you need not worry much.

If we discount those diversions nears pune, then I would say this stretch is good without any potholes. The pain point was only those 4-5 diversions near pune and the last two toll towards pune.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:03   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Best place for a halt. Ample parking lot, car wash facility close by, clean toilets and great food.
Makes for a good stay also. At times we leave Friday evening after work around 6 pm and reach there by 11 pm or so. Then continue the onward journey from next day 6 am.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:08   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Makes for a good stay also. At times we leave Friday evening after work around 6 pm and reach there by 11 pm or so. Then continue the onward journey from next day 6 am.
Yes have done this during the India Vs Pakistan World Cup Match. Stayed at Sai International so that I do not miss the match which turned out to be a one sided affair. Clean and economical rooms.

And moreover, you get to drive on good roads with less traffic the next day early morning. Chorla Ghat drive at around 7-730 is pleasing and enjoyable.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 14:29   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The pain of the bad stretches on diversions feels more pronounced when you are driving along with peak tourist traffic because that is exactly when things get into crawling mode in and around these diversions.
Not even peak traffic. Half a dozen vehicles is enough. In June I drove onward on a Friday afternoon and return on a Tuesday evening. It was annoying with the number of vehicles in the onward, with few trying to overtake from left in such narrow stretches Return was much peaceful with at the most 1 or 2 trucks for company. The difference between onward and return is 25 minutes (Attibele -> Hubli Circle 5:45 vs Hubli Circle -> Attibele 5:20). Am sure 21-22 December drive times are going to be in a different league
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:49   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Am sure 21-22 December drive times are going to be in a different league
Thanks for scaring me

I will be driving from Kolhapur to Hosur on December 22nd. Any suggestions on what time I should start and how much time it would take approximately? I am planning to start by 6:00 AM, hoping to reach Hosur by 7:00 PM at least with say 2-3 breaks, possible?
Old 4th December 2019, 18:49   #2578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I am planning to start by 6:00 AM, hoping to reach Hosur by 7:00 PM at least with say 2-3 breaks, possible?
Last year same day on the other direction it took me 11.5 hours from NBTL (0600) to Kolhapur (1730) with an hour nap. Add an hour and half for Hosur. This was in the initial stage of diversions. During Puja and Diwali some have taken 11.5 hours for Bangalore-Belgaum. Be mentally prepared for 9 pm arrival, with 20 minutes wait time on each toll even with Fastag, that way you aren't surprised when it actually plays out

On odd times and odd days, same section can be dismissed in 9 hours with sane speeds and diversions in place.
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 14:20   #2579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is an attempt, a comprehensive one, as much as I could to include details regarding Food & Fuel options between Mumbai - Pune- Bangalore that would help most of the queries get addressed in this single post rather than look elsewhere. I have given map location for each of the POIs in chronological order to enable travelers to reach here without much trouble.

I have as well refueled at each of the given locations at least once over the past few years in Petrol and Diesel cars.
Wow. What a gold mine of information. Thank you so much for this comprehensive list. This is invaluable for travelers on this route.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 10:10   #2580
BHPian

Time for my yearly trip to Kerala, this time a bit challenging perhaps as I hear about slow progress upto Satara to start with.

I usually start early - around 5 am - from Pune ( closer to the airport, so I need to cross the city as well ), and then take the breakfast halt at Sai International before Kolhapur. I prefer that because the washrooms are decent ( at least they were ).

I am not sure whether I will reach there in time this time, because of the road conditions ( don't want to drag on for too long for breakfast ) - Is there an earlier option with decent washrooms that I can opt for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks